Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

withak posted:

Crud in the kettle doesn't result in cooties, it results in unwanted minerals in your coffee.

Right. I just haven't seen any minerals chillin in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Then you're fine.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

BearJazz posted:

I'm looking around for a coffee with a particular flavor profile. A while ago, I worked at this cafe where we had this coffee from Atomic Cafe that tasted amazing. It was low acidity, but the really characteristic thing about it was that it tasted exactly like chocolate. Only caveat? It was decaf.

Any goons know of any coffees with a similar chocolate-y taste that still has that precious, precious caffeine? Bonus points if it's a goon owned roastery that roasts it.

Guatemalan. (fair trade)

It's my standard coffee. Low acid, smooth chocolate taste with a decent caffeine level (but not over the top).

Unfortunately I live in the mecca of coffee (Toronto), and don't have to mail order it. But I've tried 4 different roasters, and it's always been the same flavour profile - so you're probably safe getting it from anywhere.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Just got back from a vacation in rural Michigan. Woke up early every morning and had coffee on the patio overlooking one of the many small lakes near my hometown. There's nothing like watching the sun rise over a still lake in southern Michigan.

I drank Folger's the whole time, and I swear it was the best coffee ever.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

When roasting with the heat gun, dog bowl method, how long is 1st crack supposed to last? I just roasted a batch and it seemed that 1st crack lasted a good 3-4 minutes (starting at around ~10 minutes in). Is that normal?

Nostratic posted:

Just got back from a vacation in rural Michigan. Woke up early every morning and had coffee on the patio overlooking one of the many small lakes near my hometown. There's nothing like watching the sun rise over a still lake in southern Michigan.

You're a monster.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Nostratic posted:

The best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup drinking morning coffee while staring at sunrise over a lake in rural anywhere.

I'll be heading back home here in a week or so, away from my coffee stuff, but:

1. A decent roaster moved into my home town, amazingly enough.
2. My mother in law is badass and goes and gets us natural process Ethiopians or island coffees for when we're home.

dik-dik posted:

When roasting with the heat gun, dog bowl method, how long is 1st crack supposed to last? I just roasted a batch and it seemed that 1st crack lasted a good 3-4 minutes (starting at around ~10 minutes in). Is that normal?

It depends on the bean and you. If there's a lot of variance between the temps of individual beans in the bowl, then an artifact of that will be that some of them will begin their first crack window before others, which will manifest as a longer first crack window for the mass. In a perfect world, you could tune the roasting of each bean to the point that first crack would be a single transient, but hey... that's not going to happen.

The only thing I can tell you to even out the heat transfer is to stir even more vigorously and to keep the mouth of the gun at a constant height from the beans. Even with all this said, nobody's a robot, arms get tired, and you could be using your best, most OCD technique and STILL get a bean that roasts all unevenly early on and makes for first cracks that run out as long as 5 minutes (normally I run into this with African natural process stuff). All you can really do is the same thing already described: stir more vigorously to even out the roast, maybe back the gun off a bit distance wise. You definitely want to slow things down a little bit before trying to take the mass up towards second crack and beyond. Crazy differentials up there means little nuggets of charcoal in with your happy beans.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

unknown posted:

Guatemalan. (fair trade)

It's my standard coffee. Low acid, smooth chocolate taste with a decent caffeine level (but not over the top).

Seconding that 'chocolatey' sounds like Guatemalan. Absolute revelation when I tried that stuff for the first time.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Argyle posted:

Has anyone tried cold brewing with a nut milk bag? I don't see why it wouldn't work, and I'm guessing it'll make filtering out the grounds a million times easier.

TRIP REPORT:

Worked perfectly. Anyone who cold brews regularly should pick up a nut milk bag. Really easy to use -- effectively a giant teabag -- and you can use your hands to wring out every last drop of coffee concentrate, which is very satisfying. Then dump out the spent grounds, rinse & hand wash with dish soap. Easy.

I ran the coffee through paper filters to remove the fine dregs at the bottom of the batch, but it took way less time than without the nut milk bag.

Oh, and for storage, I finally found a use for this $3.99 swingtop glass bottle I bought from IKEA like five years ago.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 30, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Bonavita Variable Kettle is $60 again. Highly recommend you grab one. It also has a built-in timer so you can sperg out without using your phone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YR0F40?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=as2

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Where can I get a good latte in San Diego?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Killed my 2nd heat gun yesterday. How long do everyone else's last before they need replacement? I'm only getting about 10-20lbs out of them before they die. I'll probably order something heavier duty than that Wagner 1500 gun I've had the last two times, because it's annoying as hell set up and then get nothing when I switch the gun on.

Or just get a Behmor 1600, but that seems like giving up.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
My original is still going strong. Sorry for the bad luck. :(

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Loucks posted:

Killed my 2nd heat gun yesterday. How long do everyone else's last before they need replacement? I'm only getting about 10-20lbs out of them before they die. I'll probably order something heavier duty than that Wagner 1500 gun I've had the last two times, because it's annoying as hell set up and then get nothing when I switch the gun on.

Or just get a Behmor 1600, but that seems like giving up.

Where are you buying your heat guns from? Home depot usually has a really good return policy. I imagine you could get it replaced for free if you purchased it relatively recently.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

dik-dik posted:

Where are you buying your heat guns from? Home depot usually has a really good return policy. I imagine you could get it replaced for free if you purchased it relatively recently.

Amazon, but I already pitched it. Not a bad idea though.

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
cold brew question.

I tried becoming's method for making cold brew, but had trouble figuring out when the liquid was fully extracted. What's the expected yield of cold brew for 200g coffee / 800g water? I got 2 pints, or about 450g of cold brew.

I ground at about 30 on my Encore, and extracted using filtropa filters on a CCD. I think next time I'll just put it through a strainer first to remove the bulk, then use the CCD.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

So I brought some Aeropress-brewed Amaro Gayo Ethiopian to work yesterday and got in a conversation about coffee with a new tech writer at the office. Turns out she's pretty cool and likes good coffee. I let her try some of mine and she closed her eyes in ecstasy. I was like, yeah, I KNOW RIGHT?!? :words:

Anyway she suggested I start a coffee club which isn't a bad idea! I could bring my Virtuoso, scale, and V60 to work... I already have a variable electric kettle and Kalita Wave there. Just bring it around on one of the computer carts we have... I think people would totally be into that. Except I'd be making coffee for like the first hour of every Friday :whatup:

Any of you guys had an Amaro Gayo? The stuff I've got from Dogwood is heavenly.

Jik Waffleson posted:

cold brew question.

I tried becoming's method for making cold brew, but had trouble figuring out when the liquid was fully extracted. What's the expected yield of cold brew for 200g coffee / 800g water? I got 2 pints, or about 450g of cold brew.

I ground at about 30 on my Encore, and extracted using filtropa filters on a CCD. I think next time I'll just put it through a strainer first to remove the bulk, then use the CCD.

I just let 100g (at a 28 w/ Virtuoso) sit for 12 hours w/ 800mL water in a 1L french press. I'll plunge it and pour it through my V60 (pre-wetted ofc). Once most of the coffee has drained I'll take the top off the french press and pour the grounds and stuff on top. As long as you're careful you can do that and just let it sit for 15-20 minutes while it slowly drips down. I don't really know how to tell when cold press is "fully extracted" since there's no sourness or bitterness that I've noticed, but I guess that tells you that it's not under or overextracted? Maybe? Since your recipe is double mine I'd probably let it sit for 18-24 hours, but I'd also wait for someone more experienced to answer that.

mr. yolk fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 2, 2014

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Jik Waffleson posted:

cold brew question.

I measured a while back and got around 530ml, but that is without squeezing it out with nut bags. I expect that would increase the yield a bit.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Oh man—best birthday present ever. My girlfriend got me some green kona and jamaican blue mountain. Very excited. Hopefully I don't gently caress it up.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Man this sucks. Just moved into a new place on Sunday, my cc1/vario combo from Seattle coffee geek came Monday, I worked Tuesday, and the movers came today.

I have had zero time to learn how to dial my vario in to get the right grind or do anything more than pull a few lovely shots of espresso this morning before the movers came. Now it's almost 9 pm and I really shouldn't bother making espresso....

Wow that's some first world problems, I tells ya.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I started using my Able Kone without the Chemex. It's great when you're making 4-5 cups but if it's just single serving the thing is too big. The Kone fits perfectly on a Hario V60. But the pros use the funnel from the Aeropress as a handy single cup brewer.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

nwin posted:

Man this sucks. Just moved into a new place on Sunday, my cc1/vario combo from Seattle coffee geek came Monday, I worked Tuesday, and the movers came today.

I have had zero time to learn how to dial my vario in to get the right grind or do anything more than pull a few lovely shots of espresso this morning before the movers came. Now it's almost 9 pm and I really shouldn't bother making espresso....

Wow that's some first world problems, I tells ya.

When you get your vario dialed in, let me know how you like the CC1. This Gaggia Classic is leaving much to be desired :/

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

dik-dik posted:

When you get your vario dialed in, let me know how you like the CC1. This Gaggia Classic is leaving much to be desired :/

You said it's used right? Did it appear clean? Has anything indicated you might need to descale it in order to get the water up to temp? I'd suggest using less and less coffee at a really fine grind until you get a potentially weak but not sour shot. That's what I did.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

It was refurbished, so at least in theory it shouldn't need a descaling, but I guess that's possible. Gonna play with it a lot this weekend and see what I can get from it. I'll try what you suggested and see what happens. Thanks!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have you checked the temperature of the water with a thermometer?

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
I finished descaling my bonavita kettle overnight. The spots are now white instead of greenish. Honestly, the coffee is only marginally better. I think I might try using bottled crystal geyser water.

Also, after all this close inspection of my kettle I've noticed rusting on the cap and top opening rim. Seems like the same issue everyone complains about on amazon. I'll probably finish my current bag of beans then put in a warranty replacement request to bonavita. This thing shouldn't be rusting after only two months .. I even empty it and leave the top off after every use.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Gaggia Classic update: It turns out the temperature probably was the problem. I installed a PID yesterday, and the overbearing sourness disappeared. Still gonna take a little while to dial in the proper grind settings, but at least the shots I'm making are drinkable now.

E: well, I've done it. finally have some idea how to steam milk. Certainly not the best cappuccino I've had, but also not the worst. I'm actually surprised by how easy it is to make drinkable cappuccinos.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 4, 2014

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
My MrCoffee broke so I am in the market for a new coffee maker at around $20. I'm thinking french press, but that would mean I would need a hot water kettle too, right?

Anyone have any recommendations for me from amazon?

$15
http://www.amazon.com/Primula-8-Cup...ds=french+press

$14
http://www.amazon.com/Grosche-Basel...ds=french+press

$10
http://www.amazon.com/Barista-Cafet...ds=french+press

Those all look the same, should I just get the $10 and a cheap electronic kettle?

e: I drink about 40 oz in the morning.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 4, 2014

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You should also look at the Clever Coffee Dripper and similar implements, though it'll require you to buy filters as an ongoing expense. Most people will advise you that you need a decent grinder to get the best result out of either a french press or a clever coffee dripper, moreso with the french press. If you are looking to go seriously cheap, don't forget you can just boil water in a microwave or saucepan or whatever you have around.*

*says me in a thread about $200 coffee grinders.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

You can also get a cheap stovetop kettle. If you're doing french press or Clever, any kind of kettle will work. If you have any inclination of trying pour-over, then a good cheap kettle would be the Fino, which you can regularly find on Amazon for $15-20.

As far as grinders go, if you're doing french press, you don't need to get a super expensive grinder. Any quality burr grinder will do.

Also: are you sure you're actually drinking 40 oz of coffee every morning? That's huge, or you're drinking super dilute coffee. To make ~40 oz of coffee you'd need at least 1200-1300 mL of water, which, even at 18 g water per g of coffee, would be 67g of coffee beans. That's about as much as I drink in 2 or 3 days.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

dik-dik posted:

Also: are you sure you're actually drinking 40 oz of coffee every morning? That's huge, or you're drinking super dilute coffee. To make ~40 oz of coffee you'd need at least 1200-1300 mL of water, which, even at 18 g water per g of coffee, would be 67g of coffee beans. That's about as much as I drink in 2 or 3 days.

Lookit this uncaffeinated scrub :smug:

More like almost 80 g of grounds to produce 40 fl. oz of brewed coffee with a drip brewer. I easily do that much in a day, but that's a huge amount of coffee to drink in one sitting, or else it's just insanely weak.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

I typically go through about 110g beans in a day, more if I'm up early or bored.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Dang, guess I need to up my game.

Would any of you happen to know where I can find glasses that look like this for making cortados? Looking for roughly 4-4.5 oz in volume with a nice round interior shape on the bottom.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
It's not exactly what you're looking for, but I've always rather liked Picardie tumblers for cortados.

http://www.duralexusa.com/Picardie-Tumbler-Clear-4-4-ounce-Set-of-6-plu1024AB06-6.html

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I go through 19g of coffee a day. People are always surprised when they hear I only drink one 320ml cup of coffee a day.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

becoming posted:

I typically go through about 110g beans in a day, more if I'm up early or bored.

Nice. I only manage to get through about 50g a day between my morning and evening cup. Are you just drinking a lot of cups, or are you making it extra strong?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

becoming posted:

:stonklol:

You scare me.

I also found out today that I left my French press with wet grounds sitting on our counter for 2 weeks while we were on vacation. Any suggestions for cleaning the moldy spots off the mesh? I've already scrubbed the hell out of it with a brush/soap/water.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 5, 2014

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Sydin posted:

Nice. I only manage to get through about 50g a day between my morning and evening cup. Are you just drinking a lot of cups, or are you making it extra strong?

Right when I get up, I'll make a cup with 20g beans. Then, an hour or two later when I'm leaving for work, I do 70g in the Chemex, resulting in enough coffee for two 16oz tumblers, plus a little left over. I drink that little bit right then, then a tumbler on my 40-mile commute and the remaining around 5pm. After dinner, I usually make another cup, so that's another 20g beans.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

becoming posted:

Right when I get up, I'll make a cup with 20g beans. Then, an hour or two later when I'm leaving for work, I do 70g in the Chemex, resulting in enough coffee for two 16oz tumblers, plus a little left over. I drink that little bit right then, then a tumbler on my 40-mile commute and the remaining around 5pm. After dinner, I usually make another cup, so that's another 20g beans.

That's intense man, I drink one 24g cup a day. How much water do you drink?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

That's intense man, I drink one 24g cup a day. How much water do you drink?

Usually around 7-8L. I drink 1L as soon as I get up, usually another before I head out, one on the way to work, a few at work, and then one or two in the evening after I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

dik-dik posted:

I grind 1 1/3 cups of whole beans per 12 cup batch of coffee in my old MrCoffee drip machine. I don't weigh them out, but it fills out the paper filter almost to the top.

I just figured if I fill the water all the way to the top of the machine, I need to fill the coffee grounds all the way to the top too. :shrug: