Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Street Soldier posted:

Scar about I dunno half an inch squared on his forehead and possibly nose but that just looked like blood to me.

Never mind guys, found it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...

Call Me Charlie posted:

If you're talking about this picture

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/anthonycumia/view/10054137

That's from 2011

Is it? I just saw it posted in conjunction with something about this poo poo and put two and two together, I'm not even a fan I'm just enjoying the ride.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

sba posted:

He sure got his comeuppance!! I think everyone who has ever had opinions should have the poo poo beaten out of them and lose their livelihood!

has there ever been a Sabres fan with an opinions worth hearing?

mousetrench
Apr 3, 2008

We need to paint inspirational murals in urban areas.
They got one here of a hotdog stabbin Ghandi while he's sittin on the toilet cryin.
It says "may ur dreams soar forever...."
Holy poo poo. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this. I've long hated the fact that Anthony is a racist rear end in a top hat, but I'm not happy to see him fired.

I haven't been listening too much lately anyway. My latest audio-listening proclivity has been SB prank calls (victim SBs only--celebrity SBs just aren't the same) and the ways of Duncanism. I will have to listen this week though.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

sba posted:

He sure got his comeuppance!! I think everyone who has ever had opinions should have the poo poo beaten out of them and lose their livelihood!
There's a big difference between having opinions and making the corporation you represent look really bad. If Ant had gotten beaten up and just called the cops that would be one thing. If he had just taken his rear end-kicking and gone home, that would be one thing too. But he went on a public rant about it that led to more past horrible rants being illuminated by the media and that forced Sirius' hand.

When you are taking a paycheck from a company, part of the agreement is to not do things to jeopardize the company and its shareholders. If Ant wants to fully fund his own talk platform, he can say anything he wants. The First Amendment only means you can't be persecuted by the government. The spirit of the First Amendment means you should be allowed to speak your mind as you wish. But other people have free speech too-- corporations and individuals both. And if they disagree with opinions, they have the right to do so.

Look, I don't like how sensitive and PC our society has become. I don't like how everyone has become little babies, entitled to not have their feelings hurt or to not have to ever come into contact with viewpoints that don't match their own. But do people really not get how this is different?

Ant can hold any views that he wants. He can speak his mind on any medium that will hear him. But just as he has the right to speak, no one has to be forced to continue paying him to speak on their behalf.

I grew up in and around DC. I've had black people yell racist poo poo at me but I've never been attacked. I've been in parts of South East and never had confrontations. I've walked around Baltimore at 1am drunk with a couple of homeless black dudes looking for a place to get food and nothing bad happened to me. Yet Ant is just taking "innocent" pictures in Time Square and that just so happens to turn into a violent confrontation for no reason whatsoever? And it couldn't be defused by a simple "I'm sorry" or "That wasn't my intention"? There's no way!

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 5, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"Why can't I call someone a friend of the family oval office without getting hit!? :qq:"

mousetrench
Apr 3, 2008

We need to paint inspirational murals in urban areas.
They got one here of a hotdog stabbin Ghandi while he's sittin on the toilet cryin.
It says "may ur dreams soar forever...."

UncleMonkey posted:

When you are taking a paycheck from a company, part of the agreement is to not do things to jeopardize the company and its shareholders. If Ant wants to fully fund his own talk platform, he can say anything he wants. The First Amendment only means you can't be persecuted by the government. The spirit of the First Amendment means you should be allowed to speak your mind as you wish. But other people have free speech too-- corporations and individuals both. And if they disagree with opinions, that's on them.

True, but I have to point out that "free speech" is not synonymous with "the first amendment". So when people complain about not having free speech, it doesn't mean that they are complaining about their first amendment rights are being violated or that they are claiming that their company was breaking the law by disciplining them or whatever their situation may be. If your employers will fire you for saying certain things then your free speech is being limited. This is not necessarily a bad thing or a good thing. Whether it's good or bad comes down to the specific circumstances and also to subjective opinion/preference. But it is a pet peeve of mine when people take the "if it's not government prohibited speech then it's not a free speech issue" line.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...

Gonzo McFee posted:

"Why can't I call someone a friend of the family oval office without getting hit!? :qq:"

Did he call her a friend of the family?

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Street Soldier posted:

The symbols he used indicated a 6 letter word in which the middle two letter were the same "because that's what she was." Laws of Anthony-related deduction point to one word.

The man is a loving idiot.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I would be more inclined to believe his firing is a result of the sum of his statements over a long period of time rather than this one incident. It just took this incident to open the floodgates of people banging on Sirius' door about him.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Neodoomium posted:

I would be more inclined to believe his firing is a result of the sum of his statements over a long period of time rather than this one incident. It just took this incident to open the floodgates of people banging on Sirius' door about him.

Yeah. He might have slid if the news sites didn't get bombarded with a catalogue of Ant's greatest racist tirades from years past.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Maybe I missed it but did they seriously not find the slave girl bit with Francine?

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST

mousetrench posted:

If your employers will fire you for saying certain things then your free speech is being limited.

Unless you signed an employment contract that gives the company the right to fire you for saying certain things then its not free speech being limited.

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012

Neodoomium posted:

That's why I actually agree with them firing him because it was the vicious racism that helped ruin the show. Ignoring LFTC and @AnthonyCumia is easy, but when one the best radio shows of all time starts to smell too similar to those pits of depressing hatred, the man who poo poo on the product the most deserves to stop being allowed to peddle it. All that said, SiriusXM is a worthless company and it was kind of funny having a Grand Wizard continue to wave his dick around unpunished while the whole shithouse smoldered.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Street Soldier posted:

Is that a serious question? Did Anthony "Niggermania.com is my homepage" Cumia call a black woman a friend of the family oval office after he was caught taking creeper shots.

You know what, my gut says maybe.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

mousetrench posted:

True, but I have to point out that "free speech" is not synonymous with "the first amendment". So when people complain about not having free speech, it doesn't mean that they are complaining about their first amendment rights are being violated or that they are claiming that their company was breaking the law by disciplining them or whatever their situation may be. If your employers will fire you for saying certain things then your free speech is being limited. This is not necessarily a bad thing or a good thing. Whether it's good or bad comes down to the specific circumstances and also to subjective opinion/preference. But it is a pet peeve of mine when people take the "if it's not government prohibited speech then it's not a free speech issue" line.
No, I understand. And I agree it's worrisome. But at the same time, people act like they can say whatever they want and never have to face any sort of consequence and that's just not true. I'll grant you we're in a dangerous situation where everyone is claiming the right to never be offended. But we also have a right to condemn that which we find condemnable. In an ideal society, we would have a vast offering of opinions from which we could pick and choose. Privatize the airwaves, keep up with tech like satellite radio, keep up with the vastness of opportunity that is podcasting. We may be entering an era where everyone is free to say what they want when they want and cater to whatever audience they build.

But until we reach that, I don't see anyway out of the mess we're currently in. You're right, circumstances can limit your speech. But it's a paradox, because if you claim you should be free to say what you want no matter what and face no consequence, by definition you are violating other people's right to say what they want and to judge you.

Do you know what I'm trying to say? It's really hard to say what I'm trying to get at. I know I'm kind of agreeing and disagreeing at the same time. loving nuance...

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
The best thing that could come from this is that Ant finally hits a bottom so low he'll get some actual help with his alcoholism. That could maybe lead to cleaning up some other areas of his life.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
I'm not even sure he hits the booze that hard enough to warrant it. But he definitely should dig into why he lets rage intoxicate him so much.

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012

JFC posted:

The best thing that could come from this is that Ant finally hits a bottom so low he'll get some actual help with his alcoholism. That could maybe lead to cleaning up some other areas of his life.

I doubt he'd cave to giving up or cutting down on drinking and accepting actual psychotherapy but imagining rehab Jimmy helping him through that is a pretty heartwarming thought.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Topic is called "Ant wiped his Twitter. Holy christ, this is getting weird." What does your standard Ant supporter think, upon seeing that? "Maybe Sirius is feeling the pressure from the fans canceling and told Ant to delete his tweets and he can have his job back. I hope ant doesn't apologize but deleting tweets to get his gig back isn't the worst thing he can do. Apologizing would be."

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Cory Lidle posted:

I'm not even sure he hits the booze that hard enough to warrant it. But he definitely should dig into why he lets rage intoxicate him so much.

It's not really about the amount, but about what happens when he does. And Ron would be a better help to him than Jimmy ever could be.

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012

Cory Lidle posted:

Ant drinks a loving lot, especially for a guy his age who's had a heart attack. His anger issues not being "enabled" by the format of a SHACK JACK show might do something for him though. An insecure rage filled narcissist can't be fueled by retweets alone.

JFC posted:

It's not really about the amount, but about what happens when he does. And Ron would be a better help to him than Jimmy ever could be.

I mentioned Jim because I can picture it as being more adorable. Ronnie's a loving addiction guru who loves Ant so I figured that was a given.

FeedRobots
Jul 18, 2006
feedtherobot.com

mousetrench posted:

I'd still say it's not a free speech issue as there was no actual stifling on Sirius' part. They allowed Ant to publish any and all of his thoughts on Twitter - it's just that those published thoughts were contrary to Sirius' best interest (not getting horrific publicity and then losing subscribers and sponsors and then losing money) and they ended a business relationship. If they had prevented him from making those tweets or deleted them without his consent - then yeah, that totally would have been a free speech issue. But if we prevent Sirius from taking action to disassociate themselves from someone that is harming them in some fashion - then we would be limiting Sirius' free speech. I understand that you aren't placing a judgement of right or wrong in such a circumstance, but I think the premise of it being a free speech issue isn't valid unless another person/organization is actually stopping you from expressing something.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

has there ever been a Sabres fan with an opinions worth hearing?

Yes, my horrible opinion sure is a problem in this thread where people are literally happy that a man was assaulted.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Cory Lidle posted:

Ant goes on alcohol induced uninhibited twitter rants/flamewars on the reg. They always happen in the late PM's to early AM's, when a man such as Ant is most likely to be shitfaced.

I have a friend that works somewhere deep on the technical backend at SiriusXM. I don't want to give too many details in order to protect his job, but according to him, the number of subscriptions cancelled since Ant's firing became public have been "staggering." That's the best way he could put it.

Ant is a total racist rear end in a top hat, but it looks like SXM may have gone to far by firing him, especially on the Fourth of July.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 5, 2014

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The irony is that I am just about to subscribe after the free trial expired in my new car. Maybe they'll panic twice and offer me a year at 40 bucks.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

sba posted:

Yes, my horrible opinion sure is a problem in this thread where people are literally happy that a man was assaulted.

Seriously. Assaulted so bad that he called the co-oh wait he didn't do that. Guess ill just take the word of Anthony "Stormfront" Cumia.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Well, the justice system is pretty unfair to rich white people who have pictures of their attackers committing the crime. It's a losing case if I ever heard one.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any decent morning talk on SiriusXM now? Just can't get into Howard since he got on AGT (and is barely in studio anymore). Maybe they are throwing in the towel with talk as podcasts get more popular. Unless they have something creative planned to replace Anthony, I think I'm out next week.

Is there any chance they splurge and bring in a friend of the show to replace Anthony? Bill Burr, Colin, Dan Soder, etc? Obviously not right away but maybe if they want to keep Opie and Jim around past October. Norton and Friends can finally be a reality.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Niwrad posted:

Is there any decent morning talk on SiriusXM now? Just can't get into Howard since he got on AGT (and is barely in studio anymore). Maybe they are throwing in the towel with talk as podcasts get more popular. Unless they have something creative planned to replace Anthony, I think I'm out next week.

Is there any chance they splurge and bring in a friend of the show to replace Anthony? Bill Burr, Colin, Dan Soder, etc? Obviously not right away but maybe if they want to keep Opie and Jim around past October. Norton and Friends can finally be a reality.

Glenn Beck. Seriously. If you can tune out the conservative boilerplate bullshit, he can be funny at times.
I have a strange feeling that Ant is heading for Glenn's MASSIVE Dallas studio compound as we speak, and Gregg "Opie" Hughes is soon to follow, once his contract runs out.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 5, 2014

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

UncleMonkey posted:

I grew up in and around DC. I've had black people yell racist poo poo at me but I've never been attacked. I've been in parts of South East and never had confrontations. I've walked around Baltimore at 1am drunk with a couple of homeless black dudes looking for a place to get food and nothing bad happened to me. Yet Ant is just taking "innocent" pictures in Time Square and that just so happens to turn into a violent confrontation for no reason whatsoever? And it couldn't be defused by a simple "I'm sorry" or "That wasn't my intention"? There's no way!

Probably, but if her opening line was racially charged it likely set him off to say other racial poo poo. Who's to say she didn't get pissed and attack him for it? And it's justifiable, why, because he says a lot of racist poo poo? That's not how grownups act and while his opinions might be deplorable he's actually not hurting anyone.

Either way, none of this really adds up. If he was mad enough to go on a career-ending tirade I'd think he'd also be mad enough to call the cops to smugly say "I told you so." instead of what actually happened. If what they say about being well liked in the police community is true, it would've worked out in his favor. He had the presence of mind not to pull out his gun or threaten to shoot her so I assume he considered his options pretty carefully there.

It just makes no sense if he didn't do something illegal first. I can't see it being a stunt to get out of the contract, either, it's like 3 months away anyway and if they really wanted to bail they would've gotten the show canned; not just Ant.

Maybe I'm defending him harder than I should be, but I'm getting real sick of people acting like it's justifiable for lovely things to happen to people just because you don't like them, and that's all I've been loving reading all day with this.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Niwrad posted:

I'm not sure any touring comic, especially the like of Burr who is getting more popular and lives in LA anyway or Colin who has the Toosh on the road, would want a regular radio gig at this stage.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I haven't listened to this show in like a decade but watching this shitstorm fester made my rained-out fourth of july plans so much better. I can't wait until the woman inevitably steps forward, her face is all over the internet now so no doubt internet weirdos are going to hunt her down. I want to hear her side of the story, I'm not going to take the record of events of a guy calling black people "animals" as gospel, sorry.

therealjon_ posted:

Twitter is full of LOL poo poo.

I went to the Sirius facebook page and like every single post has a response with this dumb loving thing in it.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
What happened to Anthony is Wrestling Psychology 101. Bad man runs mouth and pulls shenanigans for weeks, months, etc and gets away with it. Any consequences are superficial and not lasting. But one day, he pulls poo poo in a situation where he finally can't run away and gets beaten, hit with chairs and thrown out of the ring to raucous applause.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I went to the Sirius facebook page and like every single post has a response with this dumb loving thing in it.

Click on the "Photos of SiriusXM" tab in their photos section. Highly NSFW if you do go there. Reminds me of what the pests used to do during Jocktober.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mmmm, gruesome mutilations and poo poo-covered fat people. This'll really send the message that you're well-adjusted, reasonable people!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Click on the "Photos of SiriusXM" tab in their photos section. Highly NSFW if you do go there. Reminds me of what the pests used to do during Jocktober.

What are you guys running for?! They're doing it for HIM!

</anthony hulk 9/11 bit>

Captain Invictus posted:

mmmm, gruesome mutilations and poo poo-covered fat people. This'll really send the message that you're well-adjusted, reasonable people!

I think Sirius cares less about the content of facebook posts and more about who's willing to pay. If "staggering" is the amount of people willing to stop paying for a service, then it looks like that's sending the message. Along with poo poo covered fat people I guess.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Him deleting his tweets may have nothing to do with getting a new job. His lawyer may have finally gotten ahold of him and reminded him that he just tanked "Opie and Anthony" a company worth many millions. Over some tweets.

Opie very well could sue him over this.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

therealjon_ posted:

Opie very well could sue him over this.

Imagine the earning potential factor that Opie could sue him for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Morter posted:

Imagine the earning potential factor that Opie could sue him for.

Too bad Dominic Barbara has been disbarred.

• Locked thread