Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Sad Mammal posted:

How much you buy into that depends on how much of a sociopath you are.
I think we're supposed to take it as fact that crime is down and the economy is pretty solid for the vast majority of people. There was a definite implication that they got to this good place by eliminating people who are "burdens." And while the film doesn't condone the Purge, it's on the principle that murder is wrong. Which is fair, but I find the implication that you would get a better society by shedding some of your poor and weak every year to be a bit gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

See I avoid Bloody Disgusting like the plague and then it has a piece of information I want. YAY! We only had to wait like 15 years? 20? I loving love Nightbreed the Make up on that film was loving great.

I usually check the site once a month and then only the Movies section.

I was on a huge Clive Barker kick late in high school, so Nightbreed resonates with me too.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Nightbreed is so weird and great. I want to see that director's cut.

At first I thought I couldn't really see a TV show working in 2014 but I guess American Horror Story and teen vampires etc. so maybe we're ready for it. Or it's coming slightly too late.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
We're more than ready for Nightbreed, the biggest problem when the film came out was that execs couldn't wrap their heads around the concept of monsters as good guys.

Now we live in a world where Hellboy, Underworld, etc. have all been successful, so there's really not much to worry about except maybe over-saturation.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Hollismason posted:

See I avoid Bloody Disgusting like the plague and then it has a piece of information I want. YAY! We only had to wait like 15 years? 20? I loving love Nightbreed the Make up on that film was loving great.

Also I wathed All Cheerleaders Die, I didn't think it was a bad film, also it's literally a lesbian romance which I thought was cool and new.

I can't think of a single gay horror film that isn't absolutely loving awful. (Yes there are in fact gay horror films, yes they are loving terrible). I'm actually trying to think of one right now and can't come up with poo poo.

That's because all they generally are are hot half naked dudes running around getting murdered. May as well be a Cinemax softcore thriller.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Hollismason posted:

I can't think of a single gay horror film that isn't absolutely loving awful. (Yes there are in fact gay horror films, yes they are loving terrible). I'm actually trying to think of one right now and can't come up with poo poo.

Cthulhu (2007) wasn't too bad. I'm a fan of Ken Russell's Gothic too, even if that's probably more divisive.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Possibly the film adaptation of Dennis Cooper's FRISK counts as a "gay horror film," but it's also pretty bad.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.
The Doom Generation is hilarious and weird, not sure if it is exactly horror but it's probably gay enough for you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Surprised nobody's mentioned The Thing yet.

edit: I need an emoticon halfway between :can: :cthulhu: :gay:

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Maybe two years ago we randomly came across this zombie horror/comedy on cable where the main heroes were a gay couple. I wouldn't have called it a gay movie since there wasn't anything else "gay" about it except the stereotypes played for laughs. It was actually pretty entertaining. I don't remember the name...

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I haven't seen it but wouldn't Jennifer's Body count?

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Also I wathed All Cheerleaders Die, I didn't think it was a bad film, also it's literally a lesbian romance which I thought was cool and new.

Am I crazy or is Lucky McKee making feminist horror films. Seriously.
I thought Hellbent was pretty fun.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I like The Vampire Lovers a whole lot.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I haven't seen it but wouldn't Jennifer's Body count?

Jennifer's Body is kind of weird, everyone always plays up the gay makeout scene, but it's a really nothing moment based more on mind-games than anything really sexual between the two leads.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

May and especially Sick Girl by Lucky McKee are two movies that deserve to be mentioned in this conversation also.

Sick Girl is so much better than every other Masters of Horror episode.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

May and especially Sick Girl by Lucky McKee are two movies that deserve to be mentioned in this conversation also.

Sick Girl is so much better than every other Masters of Horror episode.

I dunno, Cigarette Burns is pretty sweet.

Man I miss Masters of Horror.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I dunno, Cigarette Burns is pretty sweet.

I'm not crazy about it, but then I'm not crazy about In The Mouth of Madness either, and Cigarette Burns is basically a retelling of that movie that swaps out Sam Neill for homie from the Boondock Saints.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I liked The Screwfly Solution, and I also liked Showtime being so aghast at Jenifer that they had to cut poo poo out of it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I liked The Screwfly Solution, and I also liked Showtime being so aghast at Jenifer that they had to cut poo poo out of it.

Did they? I thought the only one they had issues with was the Takashi Miike one, which they just straight up didn't air.

I've only seen a handful really, but the only ones I particularly liked apart from Sick Girl were Deer Woman and The Black Cat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They specifically cut out her biting off and eating some guy's dick, and apparently she also goes down on the protagonist when they first meet because Argento was enamored of the idea of a woman with a deformed mouth giving a blowjob.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

They specifically cut out her biting off and eating some guy's dick, and apparently she also goes down on the protagonist when they first meet because Argento was enamored of the idea of a woman with a deformed mouth giving a blowjob.

I'm amazed he didn't cast Asia.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm amazed he didn't cast Asia.

Asia would have been filming a movie at the time, thank goodness.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Has anyone here actually been to one of the Cabal Cut screenings? I know that they've shown it at cons and such.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That reminds me, speaking of gay horror movies, at least two of the monsters in Nightbreed are a gay couple (I think) and there's a whole bunch of other homoerotic overtones running through it (and of course Clive Barker is like the foremost openly gay dude in horror).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Not to mention the '70s vampyros lesbos wave.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Guys I am so freakin hype about It Follows. I know six people that have seen it and they're all raving. I hope it ends up here for the Toronto festival because I need to see that poo poo right away.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3235888/

Yes! I'm glad someone else is looking forward to it. I assume the 6 people saw it at Cannes (lucky).

The good news is that it got picked up for distribution by Radius aka the VOD offshoot of The Weinstein Company, so it'll get released no matter what. I don't know if they have a release date for it yet, but it will probably end up at TIFF. I'm thinking they'll do something like Blue Ruin (another Radius title that got picked up at Cannes) and play it in Toronto before releasing it.

Anyway yes everyone should be looking forward to this film.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Just posted this in gen chat but I thought I'd put it here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQBMCyDQgQU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Yeah, the unedited version is on the box set and its fairly graphic. Also, you realize you just watched the 2nd lead from Wings blow his load in an alien mouth and that really can ruin/make one's day.

I liked Jenifer and Larry Cohen's entry, but yeah, Sick Girl is head of the class

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

axleblaze posted:

Just posted this in gen chat but I thought I'd put it here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQBMCyDQgQU

Looks dope. I'm a fan of everything the director has done so I'll def. be checking this out.

Any word on a release date?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
According to Google it's coming out on September 17th.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Just got back from Deliver Us From Evil and WOW, it has EVERYTHING!

Cat scares! Dog scares! Tiger scares! Bear scares! Owl scares! Jack-in-the box scares!

And big props to the sound director for finally finding a use for that complete The Doors discography his wife got him for his last birthday even though he only likes a few of their songs, but he can't tell her that because she seemed so pleased with herself.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Bummed that Deliver Us From Evil sounds like such a shitheap, seemed to have an interesting idea from the trailers. Oh well, it at least does sound terrible enough to be funny to watch drunk.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
It's absolutely a piece of poo poo, but it does actually call out the protagonist for going into vigilante justice and has one hell of a good scene in how they filmed that. It was a scene way, way too clever and well done for the rest of the film.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I might just see it for Joel McHale's character.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Literally no part of Deliver Us From Evil is worth watching.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

What's the most ridiculously over the top horror film I can watch on Netflix or Amazon Prime instant? I've got about an hour before my qualifying exams start and I want to come in on a strong note.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Strontosaurus posted:

What's the most ridiculously over the top horror film I can watch on Netflix or Amazon Prime instant? I've got about an hour before my qualifying exams start and I want to come in on a strong note.

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

E: on Netflix streaming

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Maximum Overdrive on Netflix

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Strontosaurus posted:

Hobo With A Shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Feast 3