Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wasn't Opie the one that got them fired for the April Fools prank? I could have sworn he said it was his idea and felt bad afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
April Fools prank is in bad taste once. The half decade of hateful poo poo culminating in this explosion on twitter, regardless of what caused it, has probably irreversibly damaged the brand, yeah.

Like, people might remember the april fools joke as a "really, really stupid and poorly thought out idea". People will remember Anthony as "a really funny guy who is INSANELY racist and conservative"

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

JFC posted:

Too bad Dominic Barbara has been disbarred.

It's a shame Ant was fired on the national holiday that is Swallows Day in San Juan Capistrano.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Is there any chance they splurge and bring in a friend of the show to replace Anthony? Bill Burr, Colin, Dan Soder, etc? Obviously not right away but maybe if they want to keep Opie and Jim around past October. Norton and Friends can finally be a reality.

Dennis Falcone

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Niwrad posted:

Is there any chance they splurge and bring in a friend of the show to replace Anthony? Bill Burr, Colin, Dan Soder, etc? Obviously not right away but maybe if they want to keep Opie and Jim around past October. Norton and Friends can finally be a reality.

Bobo's time has finally come.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

sba posted:

He sure got his comeuppance!! I think everyone who has ever had opinions should have the poo poo beaten out of them and lose their livelihood!

Just a quick response to this idiot: Racism isn't an 'opinion' like you think it is. It is a vile disease of society that ruins the lives of a good portion of the people in it. How in the gently caress can you think that racism to the extreme extent that Ant openly displays is an OPINION? Is being in the KKK a valid choice of association not at all indicative of criminal intent?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

sba posted:

He sure got his comeuppance!! I think everyone who has ever had opinions should have the poo poo beaten out of them and lose their livelihood!

Consider this post forwarded to your employer. You vile racist!

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

Just a quick response to this idiot: Racism isn't an 'opinion' like you think it is. It is a vile disease of society that ruins the lives of a good portion of the people in it. How in the gently caress can you think that racism to the extreme extent that Ant openly displays is an OPINION? Is being in the KKK a valid choice of association not at all indicative of criminal intent?

Just because you hate his opinion and feel very strongly about it doesn't make it any less of an opinion. World doesn't revolve around you, bud. This is the kind of reactionary outrage over semantics that holds back progress.

Dazh fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 5, 2014

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
So I checked out that the O&A subreddit over the past day, and the thing that gets me over there is now they're after Bill Burr's head for "not supporting the show." Just because he didn't say anything in support of them somehow means he's against the show, and some kind of "liberal LA pussy." Bill's always been against Ant's racism, yet despite that, was still a huge part of the show and called in as recently as last week.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Cromulent posted:

Bill's always been against Ant's racism, yet despite that, was still a huge part of the show and called in as recently as last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqWM8rwpHMQ

I guess they finally completed this experiment!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

sba posted:

Yes, my horrible opinion sure is a problem in this thread where people are literally happy that a man was assaulted.

Ant wasn't assaulted. That lady was part of the cities Hat Removal Service.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Ant wasn't assaulted. That lady was part of the cities Hat Removal Service.

I just wish I could have seen his Frank Vincent fake hair poof out when she hit him

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Here's your new morning show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kZpLZqB9RA

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Dazh posted:

This is the kind of reactionary outrage over semantics that holds back progress.

hahahahahahahahhahahaha

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
If sba isn't trolling I'm pretty shocked at someone actually siding with Anthony here

That poor man was assaulted :qq:

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Sweet, can the company take Ant's salary and use it to pay for guys so we can have SNV virus again

BRING BACK SAM AND THAN
BRING BACK SAM AND THAN!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
This is the way the world ends: not with a bang but a &$;;-:.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Stefan Prodan posted:

If sba isn't trolling I'm pretty shocked at someone actually siding with Anthony here

That poor man was assaulted :qq:

Hey, he didn't even pull his gun out and murder her. He did the RIGHT THING!!!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Considering Sirius is subscriber-based, you'd think that it wouldn't really matter what a bunch of non-listeners think about the "brand". They're gonna lose MORE subscribers as a result of Ant's firing than they would have had they not done anything at all.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

One of the more douchier things I've ever read, from the top of the O&A reddit: "Upvote if you don't have a SiriusXM subscription but wished you did so you could cancel."

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Considering Sirius is subscriber-based, you'd think that it wouldn't really matter what a bunch of non-listeners think about the "brand". They're gonna lose MORE subscribers as a result of Ant's firing than they would have had they not done anything at all.

Estimated potential money lost via lack of new subscribers plus subs they'd lose by keeping Ant on payroll. The best part is all of these people unsubscribing can just listen in on paltalk or download/stream each show the same day it airs if they do a minuscule amount of internet searching. The only thing they're really losing are the music channels and subscriber events/contests.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

They're a publicly traded company, they're in the business of keeping up that stock price. They may keep subscribers if they kept him but that means gently caress all if your rear end is out the door because the stock price is tanking due to the negative press.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Dazh posted:

Just because you hate his opinion and feel very strongly about it doesn't make it any less of an opinion. World doesn't revolve around you, bud. This is the kind of reactionary outrage over semantics that holds back progress.

How, exactly, does being a racist who says black people are subhuman vermin qualify as JUST AN OPINION to you? I feel like it may be something more than just another opinion in someone's repertoire ala whether they prefer basketball to baseball, cats to dogs, or whether or not they think shouting "friend of the family oval office" at someone in public is acceptable in the year of our lord 2014.

And I have absolutely no loving idea what is wrong with you that you think me being opposed to racism is holding back progress.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

1500quidporsche posted:

Started listening last year. I will say this, Anthony is funny as gently caress when he wants to be. His rants were just plain awful, incoherent and made the show grind to a screeching halt. Irregardless of the "SJW" versus "free speech" issue you have to say he was being stupid as all hell.

For weeks they've been trying to go ten days without a public apology and went through countless people in the public eye getting fired for saying things like he said on twitter. What exactly thought that he was immune to this and wouldn't be fired for doing the exact same thing?

This is exactly why i'm so tickled. This is SUCH a perfect, beautifully ironic ending to the show.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dazh posted:

People with those opinions shouldn't have national radio platforms.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Morter posted:

Never mind guys, found it

Somebody beat up Russel Peters?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

1500quidporsche posted:

They're a publicly traded company, they're in the business of keeping up that stock price. They may keep subscribers if they kept him but that means gently caress all if your rear end is out the door because the stock price is tanking due to the negative press.
Unless advertisers threatened to leave, I don't think their revenue stream would have been affected much (or at all) by this, but losing subscribers is bad for the bottom line and stock/etc. I'm not sure the outraged O&A listeners represent anything more than a nominal amount though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

mcmagic posted:

People with those opinions shouldn't have national radio platforms.

Glad we've decided that only those with acceptable viewpoints get to share them.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

sba posted:

Yes, my horrible opinion sure is a problem in this thread where people are literally happy that a man was assaulted.

If I go take creep shots of women while I'm calling them niggers and DON'T get punched, I'm going to be a disappointed little boy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Glad we've decided that only those with acceptable viewpoints get to share them.

He can share them with whoever he wants, just not on a national radio show.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

mcmagic posted:

He can share them with whoever he wants, just not on a national radio show.

How about he can say whatever he wants but has to live with the consequences of that without bitching about freedom of speech.

Ant loves his libertarianism, if he was part of a union he probably wouldn't have been fired.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

There's advertisers/sponsors as well.

In the past, Jimmy i think it was, talked about trying to put somebody in touch with sales because they were interested in advertising. Anyway, they were quoted some exorbitant amount with completely inflexible terms leaving Jim incredibly embarrassed. So i figure just one dropped advertiser is equivalent to a significant number of dropped subs.

Also bear in mind that there's only 3 months left on O&A's contracts, which if they didn't re-negotiate all those same people would be cancelling their Sirius subs anyway.

With all the bitching and moaning about the company and vice-versa the general lack of interest the company seems to have in improving their show, it doesn't surprise me that Sirius used this opportunity to take action. I don't think the outcome would have been anywhere near as clear cut if they still had a long time to run on their contracts.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 5, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

How about he can say whatever he wants but has to live with the consequences of that without bitching about freedom of speech.

Ant loves his libertarianism, if he was part of a union he probably wouldn't have been fired.

Or that. This just isn't anything close to a free speech issue.

All you need to know about how much this will hurt Sirius is how long it took for Cumia's outward racism showed up on someone's radar. It's been YEARS of rants like this.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Reddit been surprisingly funny during this whole thing. Some times unintentionally.

quote:

These aren't just liberals. These are Tumblr liberals. They're of a different breed. It's like comparing a Brooklyn thug to a Chicago thug. Both are violent. But a Chicago thug take it to a whole new level.

quote:

Not since the KKK has a group of self righteous white knights been as destructive for society.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

I'm really sorry that your millionaire racist hero pissed off his private company. I'm really sorry there's no constitutional amendment guaranteeing that white nationalists get a satellite radio show. Freedom is dead, etc. America 1776-2014.

However, I think there's still hope. If you check out Stormfront and FreeRepublic you'll see that maybe, just maybe, freedom of speech can still exist. But only if we fight for it. You, me, the pests. Let's take this country back!

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

How, exactly, does being a racist who says black people are subhuman vermin qualify as JUST AN OPINION to you?

o·pin·ion [uh-pin-yuhn]
noun
a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Apoplexy posted:

I feel like it may be something more than just another opinion in someone's repertoire ala whether they prefer basketball to baseball, cats to dogs, or whether or not they think shouting "friend of the family oval office" at someone in public is acceptable in the year of our lord 2014.

How you feel about it doesn't change what it is. All you're doing is taking the collective disgust over what he thinks and trying to use it to justify something that, whether you like it or not, was uncalled for. We've only got one side of the story, and it paints him as the victim here. Words don't justify violence regardless of how hateful they are.

Apoplexy posted:

And I have absolutely no loving idea what is wrong with you that you think me being opposed to racism is holding back progress.

Being opposed to racism is fine, but I don't think that just because someone is a racist means they need to be burned alive. All that poo poo does is breed more racists who now feel like they're being wronged, whether they were wrong or right in the first place. All you're doing is making excuses so you can pile on top of the guy for a fleeting moment of moral satisfaction. It's pretty cowardly.

edit: Oh and for the record, I'm not defending his job, just his ability to say awful poo poo without people acting like it's ok to commit crimes because of it. SXM can fire whoever the gently caress they want and they obviously decided he was too much of a liability with the media attention it got.

Dazh fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 5, 2014

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I was listening to the Tuesday replay earlier, their last show before the break (and maybe last for good?).

Opie alluded to it being their last show, they then got into a discussion of Anthony using his camera as he snapped it in studio. He said he takes pictures of women using his 200mm lens from his apartment. They also play the ACDC song again and Anthony says he sings the line all day in his head.

This all within a five minute span maybe, talk about foreshadowing.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
From the NewYork Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/opie-anthony-host-deletes-racist-rant-twitter-account-article-1.1855873

quote:

By Saturday morning, the string of offensive tweets was removed from Cumia's Twitter account. For two days the "Opie and Anthony" host refused to take them down.

SiriusXM fired Cumia — who earns about $3 million a year — over the now-missing tweets Friday.

hmm, not too shabby a salary.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Call Me Charlie posted:

Reddit been surprisingly funny during this whole thing. Some times unintentionally.

*compares "Brooklyn thugs" to "Chicago thugs"*
*has never been to Brooklyn or Chicago*

Dazh posted:

edit: Oh and for the record, I'm not defending his job, just his ability to say awful poo poo without people acting like it's ok to commit crimes because of it

Congratulations on bravely calling out imaginary people for something that no one ever loving said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Tomahawk posted:

I'm really sorry that your millionaire racist hero pissed off his private company. I'm really sorry there's no constitutional amendment guaranteeing that white nationalists get a satellite radio show. Freedom is dead, etc. America 1776-2014.

However, I think there's still hope. If you check out Stormfront and FreeRepublic you'll see that maybe, just maybe, freedom of speech can still exist. But only if we fight for it. You, me, the pests. Let's take this country back!
You're really becoming obnoxious with your smug glee. Nobody here is going off the deep end defending Ant and his views, quit acting like they are.

• Locked thread