Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Painted over the low side damage, unbent the gear leaver some more, went over and inspected for damage but didn't find anything else.

Lucky..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I would try and snag a new shift lever if possible...that one doesn't look long for this world.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me
Sold my Z1000 today. I'm moving in a month, and I really ended up hating that bike anyway. It was an impulse purchase that sort of smoothed over post-break-up woes, so I guess it did its job. I took a bath in the sale but learned my lesson. And of course the new owner knows about the starter clutch problem, which I didn't want to sink money into.

This might sound really weird to those of you who don't really care about appearances, but the Z1000 had so many scratches and other "rough marks" that it sort of made me :smith: when I would look at it up close. It wasn't the kind of bike that you could pop a beer and just marvel at the nice industrial design and gorgeous condition. I guess I like having things to oogle over, so that's partially why I ended up buying this:

A 2007 zx6r with only 7000 miles on her. She has a couple small scratches (which were greatly reduced with a proper compounding, polishing, and wax job), but otherwise she's basically mint. Just gorgeous to look at. Something I can really be proud of, and she rides like a badass to boot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It always weirds me out a little when people refer to their vehicles (other than a boat) as female.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

It always weirds me out a little when people refer to their vehicles (other than a boat) as female.

Why? It's a pretty common practice...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Very nice. Do the jumper mod :)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For a boat it makes sense, since you're being carried in its (her) belly. Motorcycles and cars? All right, Oedipus.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 5, 2014

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

Very nice. Do the jumper mod :)

Getting there! I have a LED flash relay on order and I'll jump those pins once I'm under the seat anyway.

Geirskogul posted:

For a boat it makes sense, since your being carried in its (her) belly. Motorcycles and cars? All right, Oedipus.

Yeah I have a special relationship with my motorcycle, so what of it mate?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sagebrush posted:

You really should idle with us in bieks, we (mostly Rev) post the cringeworthy titles that redditors give their bike pics.

/R/bikesgonewild is full of em. I'm with you, personifying bikes and especially naming them as girls is weird. My bikes are 'the ninja' or 'the fz6' or 'the blue one'.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

nsaP posted:

You really should idle with us in bieks, we (mostly Rev) post the cringeworthy titles that redditors give their bike pics.

/R/bikesgonewild is full of em. I'm with you, personifying bikes and especially naming them as girls is weird. My bikes are 'the ninja' or 'the fz6' or 'the blue one'.

I don't really understand why it's weird though. Personification, yes, but referring to vehicles as females is pretty natural from my neck of the woods. I don't get why gendered nouns get people up in arms.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

English doesn't have gendered nouns, though.

I don't know. It's one thing if you look at someone's car and say "she's a beaut" and that's the extent of it. It starts to sound kind of creepy and weird to me when you say things like

mguirk the jerk posted:

only 7000 miles on her.
she's basically mint. Just gorgeous to look at.
she rides like a badass

You say that personification is weird, but what do you call that, exactly? It's a motor vehicle, not some teenage nymph.

VVVV same here, mine is "the Honda -- uh, I mean the newer one"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 5, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I call my bikes "the white bike". When asked which one I remember that both are white so I specify the old one or the pile of poo poo.
Genderizing machines is a little weird to me but, meh, whatever blows your hair back.

EDIT: Speaking of, I pulled the head off the white bike, pile of poo poo version, and found that I didn't have a burned valve. I have three burned valves in three cylinders. Might explain the poor running.
I got the replacement head on and torqued. Just need to finish reassembly and see what happens.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 5, 2014

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

English doesn't have gendered nouns, though.

I don't know. It's one thing if you look at someone's car and say "she's a beaut" and that's the extent of it. It starts to sound kind of creepy and weird to me when you say things like

You say that personification is weird, but what do you call that, exactly? It's a motor vehicle, not some teenage nymph.

VVVV same here, mine is "the Honda -- uh, I mean the newer one"

Then genderizing boats should be just as creepy. For me it's more natural to call a machine a female instead of "it." That's all there is to it, there is no subliminal meaning, and you can take your bullshit psychoanalysis somewhere else.

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 5, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wow, you got really defensive really fast. Chill out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"You got really defensive really fast after half a dozen people came in to call your habit weird and creepy, chill out!"

I like your bike. What is the jumper mod? And is that really the factory tail light? Looks tiny.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My bike is affectionately called "piece of poo poo"

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Geirskogul posted:

Wow, you got really defensive really fast. Chill out.

I can take a joke, but trying to equate my misuse of the English language to a weird personification fetish of a "teenage nymph" is pretty juvenile and reflects poorly upon both Sagebrush and this board.

Slavvy posted:

"You got really defensive really fast after half a dozen people came in to call your habit weird and creepy, chill out!"

I like your bike. What is the jumper mod? And is that really the factory tail light? Looks tiny.

The jumper mod forces the ECU to use the European fuel mapping which unlocks ~6 HP, but I'm a slow-rear end goon so I'll probably never notice. The light is not factory, it's made by some small-scale design firm. It's nice but I would definitely like something larger. The same company makes another model with about 10 more LEDs for better lateral visibility, which I'll pick up in the future.

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 5, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

M42 posted:

My bike is affectionately called "piece of poo poo"
Mine is just "the bike" because I only have one. :smith:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I enjoy those wrap-around tail lights, but you're right - if it were maybe two rows "thick," or longer so it wrapped around more of the seat, it would have better visibility.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mguirk the jerk posted:

I can take a joke, but trying to equate my misuse of the English language to a weird personification fetish of a "teenage nymph" is pretty juvenile and reflects poorly upon both Sagebrush and this board.

You edited both this post and your last one to make them even angrier than they were at first. I said it weirds me out a little when people talk about their motorcycles like they're women ("It was an impulse purchase that sort of smoothed over post-break-up woes") and I guess that made you hit the roof? Sorry.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

You edited both this post and your last one to make them even angrier than they were at first. I said it weirds me out a little when people talk about their motorcycles like they're women ("It was an impulse purchase that sort of smoothed over post-break-up woes") and I guess that made you hit the roof? Sorry.

You're still reading way too far into what I said. I don't understand why you're being a dick, you're generally an A+ goon.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Who cares bros the important thing is that razzled got a gopro and tomorrow i'm gonna go see what the local supermoto hooligans are up to downtown!

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Razzled posted:

Who cares bros the important thing is that razzled got a gopro and tomorrow i'm gonna film myself taking out the 10th mailbox

I'm over the fantasy teenage nymph stuff BTW, so don't bring it up again.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've always wondered what a mailbox looks like from the inside.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Slavvy posted:

I've always wondered what a mailbox looks like from the inside.

:haw: It's gonna be glorious!!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

mguirk the jerk posted:

Think you quoted the wrong post, there.

Razzled posted:

:haw: It's gonna be glorious!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mguirk the jerk posted:

:rolleyes:

On topic, what I did to my ride today was ordered a bunch of electronic parts. I have some plans for neat stuff with the taillight and turn signals, but ugh why did Honda see fit to switch all those bulbs on the low side? Did they know how much more complicated it would make it when 25 years later I decided to try and read their status with a microcontroller?

Couple of LM2940s, TVS diodes, 4N35 optoisolators, some power MOSFETs, TO-220 heat sinks, miscellaneous headers and stuff.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Damnit, Sagebrush, you're ruining our rep!

mguirk the jerk posted:

I don't know whether to LOL at this or to prod further to figure out what, exactly, you're so touchy about.

A buell named Belle http://www.reddit.com/r/bikesgonewild/comments/29wsmy/nee_shoes_on_belle/

"the girls" http://www.reddit.com/r/bikesgonewild/comments/29tue7/just_chilling_with_the_girls/

Faye left the state for the first time! I'm SO happy for her http://www.reddit.com/r/bikesgonewild/comments/29qlgq/first_time_faye_has_been_in_another_state_line/

"Adopted" http://www.reddit.com/r/bikesgonewild/comments/29nh2y/almost_2_years_that_i_adopted_her/

Those aren't so bad compared to normal.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 6, 2014

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

nsaP posted:

Damnit, Sagebrush, you're ruining our rep!

I don't know whether to LOL at this or to prod further to figure out what, exactly, you're so touchy about.

I'm not touchy about anything. I referred to a bike as a "she" and ya'll jumped down my throat. Why can't we all place nicely?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You aren't really helping your case.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

nsaP posted:

You aren't really helping your case.

Meaning?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god goons stfu

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

hot sauce posted:

Oh my god goons stfu

What's your little lady's name?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

We made a joke and you exploded? Not much at first, but then you edited your posts to be more aggressive, which is kind of weird. We had actually already dropped the joking, but then you came back in and went

mguirk the jerk posted:

-quoting a post that didn't have anything to do with naming or anything. You started it back up again on the defensive, and thems prime pickin's for goony goon jokes.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Geirskogul posted:

We made a joke and you exploded? Not much at first, but then you edited your posts to be more aggressive, which is kind of weird. We had actually already dropped the joking, but then you came back in and went

-quoting a post that didn't have anything to do with naming or anything. You started it back up again on the defensive, and thems prime pickin's for goony goon jokes.

Well I am just so sorry.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Somewhat on topic: I bought an EVO protaper bar and risers today. Do bikes typically have enough extra slack in the cable to support 1" of raise? I'm scared to change anything because I can't torque stuff back down to spec precisely

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Usually just call it the ninja.

But seriously, let's stop the bickering itt lol

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I had some ridiculous Latin mythology name picked out for my Aprilia, but it was just to troll bieks with, so I immediately forgot it. If you're going to name a machine, go with something historic and / or metal sounding like Fraenir, not just like Susan.

Ships are referred to in the feminine because they're temperamental and need constant attention, and you show them respect and give them all the attention and more because that gets you home through the storms. A bike is a rather simpler device. ~rubs salt off arms~~

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Razzled posted:

Somewhat on topic: I bought an EVO protaper bar and risers today. Do bikes typically have enough extra slack in the cable to support 1" of raise? I'm scared to change anything because I can't torque stuff back down to spec precisely

Depends entirely on the bike. Some have tons of slack, others just barely make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hot sauce posted:

Oh my god goons stfu

Razzled posted:

Geirskogul posted:

Depends entirely on the bike. Some have tons of slack, others just barely make it.

The three posts in this thread since I've come back to a computer that don't make my eyes roll out my head, jesus.

What did you do to your ride today? Argued about semantics like a sexually frustrated teenager in philosophy class.

Razzled when I put narrower, taller bars on my ZRX I found the cables were fine but my brake line was stretched to the absolute limit. I ended up unbolting the splitter from the triple clamp and riding like that until I had a longer brake line made up. I'd be more concerned with that than the cables, an inch is nothing for the majority of bikes.