Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Rich Vos and his wife Bonnie defend Anthony.

They're backing their friend, but the main argument is 'he wasn't a schoolteacher or something who could get fired for saying this, he was a shock jock!' Also more freedom of speech misunderstandings and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Why the gently caress not dude, you going to stop me?

Lol keep it tough dork

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

They're backing their friend, but the main argument is 'he wasn't a schoolteacher or something who could get fired for saying this, he was a shock jock!' Also more freedom of speech misunderstandings and whatnot.

Those opinions are so reprehensible it doesn't matter who said them. That's what they are missing.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

AUDIO: You Won't Believe How This Comedian Whose Career Depends On His Relationship With The Show Feels About Anthony Getting In Trouble

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Apoplexy posted:

Exactly, Tomahawk. I find it pretty funny all the people (mainly not here, to be fair. on Reddit's O&A fan subreddit) complaining about how this path will lead us to the point where you won't even be able to rant about how niggers are inferior animals in your own home anymore without fear of losing prestige and fiscal/professional opportunity! A lot of care is going into defending people who are making GBS threads on entire swaths of humanity for no reason but their skin tone or some other thing that makes them a minority, and thus a convenient target for victimization.

I like how they always think this is a "freedom of speech" issue when really it's a "dickhead" issue.

Let's say you start wiping your rear end with your hand every day. suddenly nobody wants to shake your hand. Would that be a freedom of speech issue?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

I like how Rich is trying to argue that if you called a white person an animal it wouldn't be racist as if Anthony had only innocently commented "that woman who attacked me was acting like an animal" instead of "savage violent animal fucks prey on white people" and "they're not people".

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Apoplexy posted:

Just so you know how stupid that is: Hitler set in motion the Holocaust with words, some pretty hateful ones! Do you think that there's absolutely no circumstance ever in which violence is an appropriate response to 'just some words'?

Pretty sure Hitler put the Holocaust in motion with the construction of Dachau and a string of laws that targeted Jews. I guess he called for a boycott too. Five years after he becomes Chancellor he enacts the nationwide pogrom known as "Kristallnacht".

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST

Interlude posted:

Clearly Anthony Cumia was taking the photograph of a black prostitute on a major street for sexual purposes. That fits right in with what we know about him.

No he was taking a picture of a black prostitute to post on one of the many racist websites he brags about visiting. That fits in exactly with what we know about him.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Ransom posted:

No he was taking a picture of a black prostitute to post on one of the many racist websites he brags about visiting. That fits in exactly with what we know about him.

That's actually a pretty good theory. Trying to impress his stormfront buddies.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
really puts dead monkey in a bag in a new context

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

That's actually a pretty good theory. Trying to impress his stormfront buddies.

I was wondering if he was recording a video and narrating out loud, and she overheard him. There has to be more to the story.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Pretty sure Hitler put the Holocaust in motion with the construction of Dachau and a string of laws that targeted Jews. I guess he called for a boycott too. Five years after he becomes Chancellor he enacts the nationwide pogrom known as "Kristallnacht".

you cannot possibly be this stupid

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

you cannot possibly be this stupid

Are you at all surprised that someone who so vehemently defends racists has his history wrong

serbp
Nov 30, 2013

I was actually listening to some of this earlier. When they played the Hitler speech for Robert Clary it was so loving bad holy poo poo.

I also learned that Steve Coogan supplies drugs to people and is a big druggie himself :)

edit: that linda blair one is so stupid but hilarious

serbp fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 5, 2014

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
black woman automatically a prostitute because she was wearing a skirt and i guess thats it

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

Well it looks like Ant is back on Twitter posting pics with his transgender and black friends...

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

you guys are so much more even keel and normal than the tons of O&A fans ive seen getting retweeted on twitter. A guy claimed that twitter deleted Anthony's tweets and that he didn't scrub them himself.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I enjoy the Reddit thread with the list of controversial celebrities that SiriusXM employs and now has to fire because of this precedent. Apparently Frank Sinatra will be receiving his pink slip soon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Politicalrancor posted:

you guys are so much more even keel and normal than the tons of O&A fans ive seen getting retweeted on twitter. A guy claimed that twitter deleted Anthony's tweets and that he didn't scrub them himself.

Yea to be honest I avoided this thread because I figured it'd be like pretty much every single O&A community which is filled with the total dregs sometimes posting funny things but oh hey look it's a bunch of reasonable people who think the show is funny but also realize sometimes lovely poo poo isn't awesome.

So yea, good for you O&A thread.

Nipplebox posted:

I was wondering if he was recording a video and narrating out loud, and she overheard him. There has to be more to the story.

I dunno, in the picture he posted she looked pissed off already, maybe it was after something he already did but maybe he just caught some lady on a bad day, acted like a creep, got hilariously owned, and then was Anthony about it. I can see either being valid.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

So Ant got himself fired because of a black woman and currently has a he-she at his 4 of July barbeque along with a black guy.

The ghost of his dad must be furious at him right now.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

spudsbuckley posted:

So Ant got himself fired because of a black woman and currently has a he-she at his 4 of July barbeque along with a black guy.

The ghost of his dad must be furious at him right now.

drat. Without Ant the show is going to suck. Jimmy and Opie aren't going to be enough to carry the show. If Patrice were still alive the show could still be salvageable. I suppose they could bring on Louis CK or Bill Burr to fill the void though.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 5, 2014

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Gianthogweed posted:

drat. Without Ant the show is going to suck. Jimmy and Opie aren't going to be enough to carry the show. If Patrice were still alive the show could still be salvageable. I suppose they could bring on Louis CK or Bill Burr to fill the void though.

Bill and Louie have surpassed O&A. They're careers are too good to demote themselves to a daily radio show 5 days a week.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Gianthogweed posted:

drat. Without Ant the show is going to suck. Jimmy and Opie aren't going to be enough to carry the show. If Patrice were still alive the show could still be salvageable. I suppose they could bring on Louis CK or Bill Burr to fill the void though. Pretty tough shoes to fill though, racist rear end in a top hat that he was, he's a quck witty funny gently caress. Patrice was the only guy who I honestly could say could replace him handily.

The show wasn't really doing too great WITH racist lunatic Ant these past few years sooo... I'm looking forward to the shake up. Hopefully they figure things out enough for me to become a daily listener again.

And yeah, they're not getting Louis CK or Bill Burr or even Colin Quinn. They'd be lucky to get Rich Vos to co-host 5 days a week at this point. (alright, maybe that's going a little too far)

Point is, if they replace Anthony they're going to end up with a non-comic like Sam.

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 5, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

cochise posted:

Bill and Louie have surpassed O&A. They're careers are too good to demote themselves to a daily radio show 5 days a week.

I don't know. I think O&A still make more than Bill and Louie (well before Ant got fired). Maybe I'm wrong though.
Pretty tough shoes to fill though, racist rear end in a top hat that he was, Ant's a quck wit and funny as gently caress. Patrice was the only guy who I honestly could say could replace him handily on a 5 day basis. I like Bill Burr's podcast, but I don't think he hold's a candle to Ant. Louie may be able to though. He has the quick wit without the racism, but he can't do the spot on impressions and he cant' sing.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 5, 2014

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Bring in DJ Whoo Kid. I'm serious.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Tomahawk posted:

The show wasn't really doing too great WITH racist lunatic Ant these past few years sooo... I'm looking forward to the shake up. Hopefully they figure things out enough for me to become a daily listener again.

And yeah, they're not getting Louis CK or Bill Burr or even Colin Quinn. They'd be lucky to get Rich Vos to co-host 5 days a week at this point. (alright, maybe that's going a little too far)

Point is, if they replace Anthony they're going to end up with a non-comic like Sam.

Yeah, the show's going to suck if they do that.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Gianthogweed posted:

drat. Without Ant the show is going to suck. Jimmy and Opie aren't going to be enough to carry the show. If Patrice were still alive the show could still be salvageable. I suppose they could bring on Louis CK or Bill Burr to fill the void though. Pretty tough shoes to fill though, racist rear end in a top hat that he was, he's a quck witty funny gently caress. Patrice was the only guy who I honestly could say could replace him handily.

Have you ever listened to an Opie and Jimmy show without Ant? Such as.. the one last week with Florentine? It's still the same show you love just without the good & bad that Anthony brings.

I have no idea what Op and Jim will do but they can certainly keep a good, listenable show up for a few more months until they figure it out.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Tomahawk posted:

End up? Sam is great on the radio.

Him or Whoo Kid would be great.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

spudsbuckley posted:

End up? Sam is great on the radio.

Him or Whoo Kid would be great.

I didn't mean it like that, I just meant they're not getting a comic. I'd honestly give the Opie and Sam show a shot (or whatever they go with) but it feels like there would be a lot of personality conflict between Opie and Sam as they both have that "on-air showrunner" mentality.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If they had any balls they'd bail as soon as the contract was up and jump to internet content like they always threaten to do.

But they won't do that.

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST

Under the vegetable posted:

black woman automatically a prostitute because she was wearing a skirt and i guess thats it

Youre totally right. I guess it was Ant that said she was a hooker but there is nothing to base that on.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Tomahawk posted:

I didn't mean it like that, I just meant they're not getting a comic. I'd honestly give the Opie and Sam show a shot (or whatever they go with) but it feels like there would be a lot of personality conflict between Opie and Sam as they both have that "on-air showrunner" mentality.

Either way O&A is done. It's going to be a completely different show at this point, unless they figure out a way to get Ant back on. I'd be interested to see what the boys do from here on out.

Ant is going to have to tone down his extravagant lifestyle. I hope he doesn't turn his back on the world and become a crazy old hermit, but I'm afraid he will. He'll probably do some more live from the compounds for awhile. I always thought he'd make a great standup comic. But it'd be cool to see what other projects he'd come up with. Hopefully this will be a good change for him and we'll see some awesome funny poo poo come out of the mind of crazy old Anthony Cumia.

Opie will keep doing radio because that's all that he knows. He'll probably stay on Sirius for awhile and reinvent the Opie show with Sam and the rest of the misfits. It will probably suck like the rest of the poo poo on satellite radio until the whole company goes out of business.

Jimmy? I'm not sure what he'll do. I'm not sure if he'll stick with Opie or if he'll leave the show. I have a feeling he'll leave because I never got the feeling he had much chemistry with Opie. He was more of a comic guy and he got along better with Ant who had more the mind of a comic and entertainer than a radio personality. He'll probably do more stuff with his comic buddies, maybe stuff with Ant, maybe help out Opie here and there, maybe start his own radio show/podcast. Who knows. Jimmy will do his thing.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 5, 2014

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

VikingSkull posted:

If they had any balls they'd bail as soon as the contract was up and jump to internet content like they always threaten to do.

But they won't do that.

I really don't think that Opie and Jimmy would bail on multi-million dollar contracts for podcast money if they have the option.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tomahawk posted:

I really don't think that Opie and Jimmy would bail on multi-million dollar contracts for podcast money if they have the option.

Neither do I but it's something both of them have said during past contract issues.

Op is dumb but he isn't stupid.

e- also the whole divide and conquer thing

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

I would be down with this

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't know why some of you think it'd be hard to fill-in Anthony's spot with a comic. I mean Anthony was supposedly making $3 million a year. Even at half of that, you'd have to think some comedian would take it especially since they can still do gigs on the weekends.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

I was just thinking though. Anthony's been railing against this sort of thing for years "going after your livelihood the same thing as infringing on free speech!" I don't think he's going to go down quietly. What exactly did he say anyway?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Maybe Ant can join up with Million Dollar Extreme.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Tomahawk posted:

Then again, if Opie has squirreled away most of the money he's made over the years he might enjoy having a much more relaxed schedule with podcasting so he gets to spend more time with his kids. They'll take a big hit going to podcasting but with paid subscriptions, advertising, and doing the occasional live show they won't exactly be broke either.

Niwrad posted:

I don't know why some of you think it'd be hard to fill-in Anthony's spot with a comic. I mean Anthony was supposedly making $3 million a year. Even at half of that, you'd have to think some comedian would take it especially since they can still do gigs on the weekends.

The issue isn't about money but that none of their comic friends would dare try to "replace" Anthony, and Jim & Opie wouldn't feel comfortable doing that either. The better solution is to have a revolving door of Florentine/Vos/Kelly/Attell/Quinn/Papa/etc., guys who have already voiced their support for Anthony sit in 1 or 2 days a week, and then Jim & Opie can handle the other days with just the staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm still hoping that Ron will drop Fez and move over to Opie & Jimmy. It's the best way to salvage both shows. O&J need a comedic engine and Ron needs somebody that will actually have a conversation with him.

• Locked thread