Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Eggnogium posted:

Not really sure how (A) is relevant. If the data did show many instances of armed citizens stopping an in-progress shooting I know I'd be compelled that there's at least valid argument to be made.

I am not an expert, and I don't want to derail this thread into a gun rights argument, but the pattern seems to be that most interventions against mass shooters are after they have already done their mass shooting:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...erventions.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaledan
Jan 14, 2014
On the guns rights thing. The real problem is with mental health and a bit with the control of how people are able to buy guns. They both need to be worked on to fix the problem without outright banning weapons (which will never happen).

On the police thing....I don't see why we aren't just screaming for police to have cameras. We pay them to protect and serve, they will serve better if they have us or someone watching them. Watch the watchmen type thing.

Finally, I think Washington would do well to reform its tax code. However with how terribly everything has been running I don't know how that would be implemented. Income tax to replace sales tax, I would be all for it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Anyone else go to the Fremont solstice fair today? Weather was perfect for it, the naked bike ride grossed out my nieces and I laughed my head off. That area is great.

One of the booths was an anti-$15 wage thing, but it looked like it was put together on the fly. No table, flyers, etc. Just a couple guys with ad-hoc signs. Can you believe the balls of them to do that in Fremont?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Montanan here; I'm in Oak Harbor currently visiting family. All of Whidbey Island feels like such a weird contrast to most of the rest of Western Washington. Every time I visit it boggles my mind just how many churches they've packed onto this island. :psyduck:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Monica Wehby supports ENDA, probably:

http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2014/06/monica_wehbys_campaign_affirms.html

This particular race seems to be a foregone conclusion, but it is interesting to see how the Republican Party is trying to shape up its identity in Oregon for this election and coming elections. I imagine that they are trying to become the suburban party. In some states, this would work, the suburbs are naturally swing areas. But in Oregon, I don't think it will work.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Pikestaff posted:

Montanan here; I'm in Oak Harbor currently visiting family. All of Whidbey Island feels like such a weird contrast to most of the rest of Western Washington. Every time I visit it boggles my mind just how many churches they've packed onto this island. :psyduck:

If you aren't Navy, you're an octogenerian. I loved my time on Whidbey (go check out Fort Casey if you have the time) but man was I glad to move to a place with more people my age.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I have a week of vaca in a week and was thinking of touring the peninsula a bit then maybe hitching a ferry to the San Juans for a couple days, anything in particular I should see?

warderenator
Nov 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

effectual posted:

I have a week of vaca in a week and was thinking of touring the peninsula a bit then maybe hitching a ferry to the San Juans for a couple days, anything in particular I should see?

I really like the beach near La Push. You can camp on it too which is really fun.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone explain this to me, a couple years ago or so WA passed a law that said something to the effect of if you see flashing lights move over or slow down, what I thought this law did was make it so that if you saw flashing lights pulled over on the freeway you either change lanes or slow down a bit, like say 55 in a 60 if you can't get over. The idea was to make officers more safe during traffic stops.

Either I've interpreted this wrong or other people have because what its turned into is people slamming on their breaks and making sudden dangerous lane changes that causes traffic to be absolutely horrendous even if someone is just pulled over for speeding or something. I don't know how many accidents I've nearly been in because someone in the right most lane slams on his breaks and then also swerves left.

This law is stupid.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Reason posted:

Can someone explain this to me, a couple years ago or so WA passed a law that said something to the effect of if you see flashing lights move over or slow down, what I thought this law did was make it so that if you saw flashing lights pulled over on the freeway you either change lanes or slow down a bit, like say 55 in a 60 if you can't get over. The idea was to make officers more safe during traffic stops.

Either I've interpreted this wrong or other people have because what its turned into is people slamming on their breaks and making sudden dangerous lane changes that causes traffic to be absolutely horrendous even if someone is just pulled over for speeding or something. I don't know how many accidents I've nearly been in because someone in the right most lane slams on his breaks and then also swerves left.

This law is stupid.

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/laws/emergency_zone_brochure.pdf

It sounds like there's now a buffer zone so you can't legally be in that lane.

e: Looking at it more it sounds like you can still be in the lane but it's more of a liability.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 30, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Reason posted:

This law is stupid.

Basically they would like you to get out of the nearest lane to where they are pulled over, if you are able to do so. People jamming on their brakes is unrelated, and just something that most (terrible) drivers do here for any reason under the sun.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
It's not a new law, but they've started enforcing it pretty heavily in the past months. Guess they got tired of being mowed down by idiots who can't stay in their lane.

If you get pulled over on the freeway, go to the next exit or somewhere there's enough room.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

oxbrain posted:

It's not a new law, but they've started enforcing it pretty heavily in the past months. Guess they got tired of being mowed down by idiots who can't stay in their lane.

If you get pulled over on the freeway, go to the next exit or somewhere there's enough room.

Just a general warning that this is a mixed bag. I have been thanked by Juneau Police officers for waiting for a safe area to pull over, but have also been told by police in Oregon to pull over immediately. Know your local regs on that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SyHopeful posted:

Just a general warning that this is a mixed bag. I have been thanked by Juneau Police officers for waiting for a safe area to pull over, but have also been told by police in Oregon to pull over immediately. Know your local regs on that.

Yeah, some cops are happy, others play the "I flashed my lights exactly where I wanted you to stop, how dare you question my judgement".

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, some cops are happy, others play the "I flashed my lights exactly where I wanted you to stop, how dare you question my judgement".

Probably smartest to pull over to the right ASAP. That way it's on the officer, not you.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SyHopeful posted:

Probably smartest to pull over to the right ASAP. That way it's on the officer, not you.

I agree, though the first time I was ever pulled over I was yelled at by the cop for not taking the first exit. I think he was just kind of a dick though.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I have only been pulled over once(and that was a horrible speed trap on the Peninsula and my wife was sick so I wasn't paying attention), and I drive ~70 normally. However, I also know where all of the speed traps are.

Am I just lucky or are the cops only pulling people over that are going 70+?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Mrit posted:

I have only been pulled over once(and that was a horrible speed trap on the Peninsula and my wife was sick so I wasn't paying attention), and I drive ~70 normally. However, I also know where all of the speed traps are.

Usually it's at their discretion.

When I drove my DSM from Seattle to San Jose in 13hrs back in 2002, I blasted past an OSP Camaro speed trapping while I was doing about 85mph, but he didn't come after me :shrug:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mrit posted:

I feel like they're more tolerant of speeding when its on the freeway and not on surface streets.

If you want to get an idea of where they are, just use Waze while you drive.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
When I moved to Seattle from the midwest I couldn't believe that people drove the speed limit on the highway. It was completely normal and expected to be going at least 5 over, and even up to 10 over wasn't a problem. I would regularly pass speed traps going about 74 in a 65 and never have a problem. In Seattle it's odd though since the 'fast' lanes are usually doing the speed limit and people in the slow lanes are going 55 if you're lucky.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Going 60 in some places would just make you a dangerous roadblock, like I-5 by Tukwila. Or at least stay in the right lane.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

When I moved to Seattle from the midwest I couldn't believe that people drove the speed limit on the highway. It was completely normal and expected to be going at least 5 over, and even up to 10 over wasn't a problem. I would regularly pass speed traps going about 74 in a 65 and never have a problem. In Seattle it's odd though since the 'fast' lanes are usually doing the speed limit and people in the slow lanes are going 55 if you're lucky.

Just honk your horn. It seems to be the equivalent here of pulling out a firearm elsewhere, and the rear end in a top hat going 58 in the left lane will frequently visibly jump then move over.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Mrit posted:

I think a lot of the time it has to do with how much of a danger you are to yourself and/or others doing what you're doing. If you're speeding but staying in your lane while doing it, unless they're enforcing that "left for passing only" thing, you'll get a pass more often than not. If you're captain weavy out there while doing 75 they'll probably nail you. At least that's my impression from watching people getting pulled over (while I'm speeding too!)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
During CDL training a senior Idaho state police officer told us in explicit terms to always wait to pull over somewhere safe. I then did this, still in Idaho. I needn't explain how the cop I got reacted.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Waiting to pull over somewhere really safe is great in theory, but in reality it's never going to help you and it puts you at risk of the cop misunderstanding and accusing you of a failure to stop. If you're being pulled over, come to a halt as soon as there's room for your vehicle. If the cop doesn't feel safe, they'll just order you to move on further down the road.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mrit posted:

I drive between Olympia and Seattle every day and I put my cruise usually around 67/68. I've heard and this is probably just made up, the way the speed radar works is that it puts up a red light if you're going a certain speed that the radar can catch and my understanding is that its set at about 70. I also think that they look at the speed everyone else is going, but I have never gotten a speeding ticket going below 70 and I know I've hit radar going 68/69.

I also noticed that people in Seattle usually go around 55, but I think that has a lot to do with psychology because the buildings start closing in and the sight lines are way restricted so people slow down. You notice this anywhere there are curves, like JBLM just before DuPont and other notorious curve areas.

Thanks for all the info on the move over/slow down thing, good to know that people slowing down to 40 or below are just idiots.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Also there are a shitload of speed traps around DuPont and Tillicum. It's the only way to make sure the E-2s get a couple of miles away from the base before flipping their Mustangs off of an embankment.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

oxbrain posted:

Guess they got tired of being mowed down
In the spirit of the now-deceased CotB threads I have to point out that that statistic is nearly 0.0.

Whenever "officer safety" rears its head its is either 1) revenue raising or 2) power tripping. Both are flavored with a self-propagating fear-based self righteousness.

OTOH police in the NW are very nice compared to the SW.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

FRINGE posted:

OTOH police in the NW are very nice compared to the SW.

OTOH, SPD

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

OTOH police in the NW are very nice(if you are white/not poor) compared to the SW.
ftfy

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kaal posted:

Waiting to pull over somewhere really safe is great in theory, but in reality it's never going to help you and it puts you at risk of the cop misunderstanding and accusing you of a failure to stop. If you're being pulled over, come to a halt as soon as there's room for your vehicle. If the cop doesn't feel safe, they'll just order you to move on further down the road.

There's absolutely nothing wrong (especially for women) to find a well lit, safe place to pull over. Give them a wave to acknowledge you're pulling over and don't drive like you're trying to lose them.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

highme posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong (especially for women) to find a well lit, safe place to pull over. Give them a wave to acknowledge you're pulling over and don't drive like you're trying to lose them.

If you feel unsafe, then of course you need to act appropriately to protect yourself. But you're flirting with a felony, so hopefully that cop is feeling uncharacteristically kind. You could call 911 to confirm that they really are police, but hopefully you've got voice-dialing since otherwise there's a good chance that they'll charge you for using a phone while driving. Yes, it sucks and makes everyone less safe in the name of making money for the department. That's like 90% of what traffic police do.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
"Compared to" is an important qualifier. No matter how hard theyve tried the SPD is not the LAPD.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

FRINGE posted:

"Compared to" is an important qualifier. No matter how hard theyve tried the SPD is not the LAPD.

You're the only person I know who puts California in the SW, even though it's technically correct.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Somewhat unusual news:

http://www.king5.com/news/Train-derails-with-aircraft-parts-265866171.html

A train carrying fuselages of Boeing Passenger jets derailed near Superior, Montana, spilling several fuselages into the river. Other than the delay in Boeing's schedule, this also has led to some funny pictures. As far as I know, no one was hurt.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Where's the best place to buy beer in Portland? Anyone know? And for that matter, what's a good choice for someone who has no idea how to be a beer snob yet?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

illrepute posted:

Where's the best place to buy beer in Portland? Anyone know? And for that matter, what's a good choice for someone who has no idea how to be a beer snob yet?

To answer your first question: Belmont Station, which is on Stark street, has a really good selection.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I don't know if it makes it down to Portland, but I love pretty much everything Fremont Brewing Company up in Seattle puts out. Their Interurban IPA is fan-freaking-tastic--great flavor without too much hop bitterness. The darker stuff they do like Abominable Ale (and the special bourbon barrel version in the winter) is great too. I'm yet to have a beer of theirs that I don't enjoy.

Also I know it's a pretty big brewery now but Pyramid has a new beer out they call an IPL, India Pale Lager. It's great too and has the flavor of an IPA without the punch in the face bitterness. Really good beer I could drink all day.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

SyHopeful posted:

You're the only person I know who puts California in the SW, even though it's technically correct.
Until they separate the LA to SF strip as the Night City Metroplex theyre stuck claiming the inland desert that you cant tell apart geographically or culturally from NV or AZ :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Until they separate the LA to SF strip as the Night City Metroplex theyre stuck claiming the inland desert that you cant tell apart geographically or culturally from NV or AZ :colbert:

The honorable state of Jefferson may make it's case for joining Cascadia.

• Locked thread