Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
You don't realise quite how big they are until you see one in person though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Have many people here sent a Hasselblad to David Odess? I know someone has, but I can't remember who.

Particularly interested if any Aussies have done so as I'm a bit concerned about customs / shipping etc. I've been putting off maintenance for a while as there's nothing obviously wrong with it, but I did also buy it as a bargain body, and the sooner I send it in the sooner I can get back to shooting.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Baron Dirigible posted:

Have many people here sent a Hasselblad to David Odess? I know someone has, but I can't remember who.

Particularly interested if any Aussies have done so as I'm a bit concerned about customs / shipping etc. I've been putting off maintenance for a while as there's nothing obviously wrong with it, but I did also buy it as a bargain body, and the sooner I send it in the sooner I can get back to shooting.

Mine got sent to that guy in Adelaide who is the only certified Blad repairperson in Aus (as i was told)
He's a surgeon or doctor who repairs blads in his spare time IIRC so you might be waiting a month or two.

Shoot me an email if you want me to dig up his details. He might save you cash if all you're wanting is a CLA. Oo.agar @ gmail

It got sent it to him via CR Kennedy & Co in Port Melbourne. I think most states have an agent that send the cameras to him

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 5, 2014

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ezekiel_980 posted:

My father seems to have contracted a mental illness and wants to buy a large format, most likely a 4x5. I know little to nothing about 4x5 except that I can't afford it. He's been talking about horseman cameras, are they any good? Or is there another make that would be a better choice for some one who's trying it out for the first time?
Tell him he won't be happy until he buys this.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Tell him to get this

So he won't have to bother with an enlarger to make poster prints. Really you're just saving him some hassle down the line.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

eggsovereasy posted:

Tell him to get this

So he won't have to bother with an enlarger to make poster prints. Really you're just saving him some hassle down the line.

just out of curiosity what size film does that eat?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ezekiel_980 posted:

just out of curiosity what size film does that eat?

20x24 :getin:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Don't gently caress up though because it's $32 a sheet... http://www.viewcamerastore.com/ilford-fp4-plus-iso-125-20x24-25-sheets/

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Only 816.95$ for 25 photos! What a steal!

How much are the lenses?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

No Gravitas posted:

Only 816.95$ for 25 photos! What a steal!

How much are the lenses?

Well, you need (bare minimum) 794mm of image circle, or realistically about 825 to give you a little movement and keep vignetting down. The only modern lenses I know that can do that are the Schneider XXL series (900mm image circle), which get into "used small car" price ranges. Some of the larger process lenses can get that big if you stop way down, but most of them don't have shutters - you'd be using a hat to improvise, or doubling the cost by sending it to SK Grimes for retrofitting (probably $3500 total cost, lens + shutter + machine work). You might be able to order the glass elements and put together a simple Petzval lens yourself if you really wanted.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 6, 2014

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

eggsovereasy posted:

Tell him to get this

The guy in the photo looks like he hates his life.
Which makes sense, as lugging that thing around would make him some sort of a modern Sisyphus.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Kowloon Park I, Hong Kong by alkanphel, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Putrid Grin posted:

The guy in the photo looks like he hates his life.
Which makes sense, as lugging that thing around would make him some sort of a modern Sisyphus.

idk this is also a 20x24 and this guy seems pretty happy

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Is that the photographer equivalent of driving around in a car like this?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It's more like piloting a private helicopter to get groceries at the market which is walking distance from your house.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
ULF cameras are very greybeardy, so I would say the vehicular equivalent is a t-bucket hot rod of some sort.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I'm sorry I cant' hear you whiners of the sound of a 20x24 contact print being baller as gently caress.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

---_0165 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

---_0167 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

---_0169 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

---_0456 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr
I'm alive!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:worship:

So good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anna at the Giant's Causeway by juliancallan, on Flickr

I lugged my Portra-loaded SQ-A and tripod across the Giant's Causeway

PS : Does anyone have any experience with this specific viewfinder on the SQ-A?

Literally never saw it until today.
Seems to do TTL metering ( I know, I know, use an external meter) but this looks pretty handy for walking around cities with. Anyone used/have one?

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 9, 2014

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Polaroid 600SE - 75mm - Years expired FP3000B

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Aberdeen Street, Hong Kong by alkanphel, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

got some very nice portraits in here.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Those tones and shadows :taco:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spedman posted:

Those tones and shadows :taco:

Astia is a wonderful thing.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Where in HK is Aberdeen Street?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

Where in HK is Aberdeen Street?

Somewhere roughly between Sheung Wan and Central stations.

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Got a 'new' Pentax 6x7, found some walls to shoot for the test roll.Kind of happy to have run out of Ektar though, Colour correcting is already hard enough.

Untitled by Haught, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Any tips (or specific models) for spot meters. I've been looking at some used ones, but I know some of them use weird batteries that I can't buy any more and I'd just like it to be easy.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

eggsovereasy posted:

Any tips (or specific models) for spot meters. I've been looking at some used ones, but I know some of them use weird batteries that I can't buy any more and I'd just like it to be easy.

I use an app on my phone :downs:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

eggsovereasy posted:

What's your budget? If money is no object get a Pentax digital spotmeter or a Sekonic 758. If you don't want to spend north of $200 look for a Soligar one. They made and an analog match needle model and a digital one. You may see them listed as Adorama spotmeters, they rebranded them for a bunch of companies. I think I paid $75 on ebay for my analog Soligar.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

8th-snype posted:

What's your budget? If money is no object get a Pentax digital spotmeter or a Sekonic 758. If you don't want to spend north of $200 look for a Soligar one. They made and an analog match needle model and a digital one. You may see them listed as Adorama spotmeters, they rebranded them for a bunch of companies. I think I paid $75 on ebay for my analog Soligar.

Obviously I'd like to spend as little as possible, but I'll go over $200 if its my best option. KEH has a few Pentax Spotmeter Vs for under $200 and it appears to use normal batteries, so that may be the route I go, thanks.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

eggsovereasy posted:

Obviously I'd like to spend as little as possible, but I'll go over $200 if its my best option. KEH has a few Pentax Spotmeter Vs for under $200 and it appears to use normal batteries, so that may be the route I go, thanks.

Just be aware the Spotmeter V is a big analog one. It's not bad or anything it's just an older model.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I didn't realize how loving huge this pentax 6x7 is holy poo poo

Doesn't help that I also got this massive toshiba flash and the mounting bracket for it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong by alkanphel, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

That is some loving sky, holy poo poo.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

This latest series you've be posting is fantastic, those brown and blue tones are killer.

Is there much post work with the scans with these long exposures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Goddamn the tones of the wooden wall...

• Locked thread