Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Z3n posted:

Were there any scrapes on the black piece of plastic? If you'd connected with it, that can cause a major slide, usually far enough out that the bike can't recover.

Otherwise, without footage, impossible to tell.

Glad you're ok - ping me if you need help with anything.

Ok thanks boo :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Give the crash some time then examine it again. Your ego lessens as time goes on and you see things in a clearer and more critical manner.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This sounds bizarre. I think that you're focused on the mystery plastic and that it's more likely there was something else on the road elsewhere causing you to crash. Alternatively, you hosed up somehow but aren't aware that you have done so, in which case time and retrospection will probably help like nsap says.

n8r posted:

Another classic bike ruined by a hipster who doesn't know how to ride.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:thumbsup:

From the description of the turn it sounds like there could just have been a ripple in the road that bumped the front tyre off the ground and sent the bike into an irrecoverable motion. But without evidence outside of your head there's nothing more constructive we can say beyond check your tyres/pressures and work on your posture/technique in a general sense.

On a side note I find it interesting that a relatively well-known poster crashes and instead of trying to help him or examine what happened it just turns into a dick-waving contest between the usual suspects.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ShaneB posted:

Sorry about you and the bike. You will hurt a lot more tomorrow. Trust me.

This. And for like two weeks.

I'm sorry, man. :( Funny how you lose the thing in a split second and you're just tumbling thinking "this isn't as bad as I thought it'd be..."

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Slavvy posted:

On a side note I find it interesting that a relatively well-known poster crashes and instead of trying to help him or examine what happened it just turns into a dick-waving contest between the usual suspects.
Trying to make someone feel bad about riding motorcycles may stop them from riding motorcycles which obviously will prevent crashes, yo.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Trying to make someone feel bad about riding motorcycles may stop them from riding motorcycles which obviously will prevent crashes, yo.

Seriously. When I got my first bike in 2009 this forum was awesome. Since I took a hiatus, something happened and four or five posters have grown tremendous egos. The dickhead attitude is really off putting. I come here for the chuckles and go to other places for serious motorcycle discussion with friendly people.

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 17, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mguirk the jerk posted:

Seriously. When I got my first bike in 2009 this forum was awesome. Since I took a hiatus, something happened and four or five posters have grown tremendous egos. The dickhead attitude is really off putting. I come here for the chuckles and go to other places for serious motorcycle discussion with friendly people.

CA just needs one of those subforum gang symbols to remind us that we all :love: each other

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You were Fixed Gear Guy, right? You weren't paying close enough attention. This is the way it's been for a long while. Sagebrush is a big boy, he'll be alright even tho n8 is mean. Also assuming you were FGG you were here like 2 years ago.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 17, 2014

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

nsaP posted:

You were Fixed Gear Guy, right? You weren't paying close enough attention. This is the way it's been for a long while. Sagebrush is a big boy, he'll be alright even tho n8 is mean. Also assuming you were FGG you were here like 2 years ago.

You're right, it was two years ago. So many things have happened in the last three years (engaged woman, sold bike, moved in with woman, both parents died, alcoholic, broke up with woman, sober, bought new bike) that I really can't remember the exact time for any life event longer than a few months ago.

Still kicking myself that I traded my monster for a woman.

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 17, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As long as it wasn't a monster woman you should be sweet in the long run :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mguirk the jerk posted:

You're right, it was two years ago. So many things have happened in the last three years (engaged woman, sold bike, moved in with woman, both parents died, alcoholic, broke up with woman, sober, bought new bike) that I really can't remember the exact time for any life event longer than a few months ago.

Still kicking myself that I traded my monster for a woman.

You traded the monster for a monster?

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Slavvy posted:

As long as it wasn't a monster woman you should be sweet in the long run :v:

I just bought a K1200S so I am basically on my way to riding a monster woman. Holy gently caress I should just go for the busa already. If I die, it will be worth it.

Chichevache posted:

You traded the monster for a monster?

Trust me, something's wrong with a relationship if it's cheaper to maintain a new Ducati (with full insurance) than a woman.

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 17, 2014

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Fucks sake, I just dumped the bike today (My first real 'Accident')

I was just leaving work exiting the multi-story car park, and going down the spiral ramp like I usually do; coast on down with a little bit of rear brake. There was a cyclist in front of me who was going around quite wide possibly leaving a gap for me, but I'm not in a hurry and it doesn't seem smart to overtake him. Then in the middle of the ramp there was a little pile of garbage of what I guess was soggy mashed up mcdonalds paper bags, I went over it and things suddenly felt weird for a second, and then I started turning sideways sensing "Holy gently caress my back wheel is spinning out from under me".

Pretty much spun 90° clockwise then the bike fell over to the left on it's rear end. I managed to step off in time and keep my footing as I grabbed the ramp railing, also quickly turned the bike off as I realised I pinned the throttle while falling down.
Then a beefy SUV stopped behind me followed by a colleague who shouted if I was alright from her car, feeling embarrassed as gently caress I just gave a big thumbs up then hoofed the bike back up > ignition > get to the bottom > pull up to the side of the road to fix my wanged up mirrors.

I'm gonna bring it up with the receptionist tomorrow to hopefully get the thing kept clean.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
That doesn't sound too embarrassing - I actually had to avoid a full shopping bag full of smashed/slippery looking food in the middle of the road today - easily could have taken me out. People need to stop throwing poo poo in roadways. At least you didn't get hurt or suffer much bike damage.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I just read the mailbox story, and holy poo poo :laffo:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Post number?

Pete Carroll
Jun 28, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

Post number?

I'm not sure, the address was written on the mailbox. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pete Carroll posted:

I'm not sure, the address was written on the mailbox. :v:

Hahahaha holy poo poo!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

BlackMK4 posted:

Post number?

Razzled post history itt.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091384&userid=172194#post429110813

For the people too lazy to jump through changing URLs to find his posts since he's not a top poster...

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Managed to do a low side with the bike in the first round-about after I fitted my new front tire, new back tire had 50km on it, front had like 2 km. I was only going like 30 Km/h but apparently I leaned it a bit too much and/or gave throttle abit early.
Suddenly I was sliding on my rear end. I didn't see any oil or gravel there so it was speed + lean + new tires.

Clutch and mirror pod was tweaked a little up and gear leaver was bent. The bike slid about 2 meters on the side, thankfully on the engine guard and the givi side rack.

Full atgatt so no damage to me, no bruises, just a litte sore. Gear got a small tear a little forward of the left elbov on the jacket, and in the outer stretch fabric below behind my left knee on my pants. I can also see a wear spot on the palm slider on my left glove so that did it's job. Helmet never touched the ground.

I'll grab a can of black paint and touch up the spots on the guards/givi rack.

Lessons learned: new tires are new tires, don't get distracted and take it easy and sloow.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Supradog posted:

Managed to do a low side with the bike in the first round-about after I fitted my new front tire, new back tire had 50km on it, front had like 2 km. I was only going like 30 Km/h but apparently I leaned it a bit too much and/or gave throttle abit early.
Suddenly I was sliding on my rear end. I didn't see any oil or gravel there so it was speed + lean + new tires.

Lessons learned: new tires are new tires, don't get distracted and take it easy and sloow.

New tires are good to go once they aren't cold. There are no factory coatings to "scrub" off or break in periods besides the ones in your head to get used to faster turn in and such. I know you didn't specifically say that, but I think it's important to reiterate.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Yeah, new tires are Pirelli scorpion trail, I was used to old 13k km worn Michelin anakee 3s. Different tyre profile and no wear on them must have caught me out with faster lean over speed.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 4, 2014

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Supradog posted:

Yeah, new tires are Pirelli scorpion trail, I was used to old 13k km worn Michelin anakee 3s. Different tyre profile and no wear on them must have caught me out with faster lean over speed.

Glad you are ok, though. I'm putting brand new tires on a brand new (to me) bike so I'm gonna be sketchy for a little while as well.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ShaneB posted:

New tires are good to go once they aren't cold. There are no factory coatings to "scrub" off or break in periods besides the ones in your head to get used to faster turn in and such. I know you didn't specifically say that, but I think it's important to reiterate.

The smooth, uniform surface of the tire out of the tire does reduce available traction some amount. It's not as bad as it was when they used mold release, but if youre not on super grippy asphalt (ie a track) youre still going to want to progressively increase lean angle.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

The smooth, uniform surface of the tire out of the tire does reduce available traction some amount. It's not as bad as it was when they used mold release, but if youre not on super grippy asphalt (ie a track) youre still going to want to progressively increase lean angle.

Pretty much this. I do a bunch of increasingly wider slaloms, i can see on the tire the edge of scrubbed-in-ness that tells me when I', good to go. Won't take longer than a few minutes.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Going to my buddy's house, guy decides to just pull out of a blind alley then stop in the middle of the road in front of me. I start to evade to the left/front of the truck as I brake, then he accelerates and stops again so I hit the side of his truck.

Luckily I bled off enough speed that it wasn't a bad hit, just hosed up my plastics and cracked my headlight. Korean cops decided it was all on him, but Jesus. Forks seem OK and wheel doesn't seem affected.

nullscan fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 5, 2014

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Is your frame painted? Check for cracks in the paint around the head tube just in case.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I really hosed the dog yesterday.

I was on the ramp from I290 West to I90 South in Chicago. I was going maybe a skoch faster than normal, but nothing unreasonable. I panicked about the speed, so I stood the bike up and tried to slow it down. I target fixated into the wall and hit the jersey barrier at a shallow angle. My bike slid against the wall for a while, then I high sided into the road. Fortunately, I didn't go over the wall. I'm super loving pissed at myself for loving up that turn that bad. I really should have just kept it leaned over and stayed on the throttle.

I felt my helmet bounce a couple of times, so that's toast. My Olympia mesh jacket held up really well. My Knox Handroid gloves are all torn up, but my hands came out pristine and undamaged, so at least there's that. Jeans got torn up, and my left Sidi boot somehow let my left foot get dislocated (a dislocated foot is loving nasty, especially when it's yours).

Went to the hospital. The trauma docs relocated my foot and took some x-rays. Looks like I chipped off a little process at the bottom of my tibia, and broke through my fibula just above the plate that's already on it. The fibula is going to have to be operated on, but all things considered, it's a lot less bad than it could have been.

I woke up this morning, and my left rotator cuff is also in pain.

I can't find the paperwork to get my bike back, so I'm going to have to make some phone calls once I get my phone replaced.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Safety Dance posted:

I really hosed the dog yesterday.

I was on the ramp from I290 West to I90 South in Chicago. I was going maybe a skoch faster than normal, but nothing unreasonable. I panicked about the speed, so I stood the bike up and tried to slow it down. I target fixated into the wall and hit the jersey barrier at a shallow angle. My bike slid against the wall for a while, then I high sided into the road. Fortunately, I didn't go over the wall. I'm super loving pissed at myself for loving up that turn that bad. I really should have just kept it leaned over and stayed on the throttle.

I felt my helmet bounce a couple of times, so that's toast. My Olympia mesh jacket held up really well. My Knox Handroid gloves are all torn up, but my hands came out pristine and undamaged, so at least there's that. Jeans got torn up, and my left Sidi boot somehow let my left foot get dislocated (a dislocated foot is loving nasty, especially when it's yours).

Went to the hospital. The trauma docs relocated my foot and took some x-rays. Looks like I chipped off a little process at the bottom of my tibia, and broke through my fibula just above the plate that's already on it. The fibula is going to have to be operated on, but all things considered, it's a lot less bad than it could have been.

I woke up this morning, and my left rotator cuff is also in pain.

I can't find the paperwork to get my bike back, so I'm going to have to make some phone calls once I get my phone replaced.

:ohdear: I am just so glad you're otherwise alive and okay. Do you know if the bike is okay too or? Get well soon man, sending you good vibes!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh, dude. :ohdear: Heal up well, hope all your insurance (health and bike) works out without issues.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Razzled posted:

:ohdear: I am just so glad you're otherwise alive and okay. Do you know if the bike is okay too or? Get well soon man, sending you good vibes!

Thanks dude. The bike looks like it's in okay shape. Scrapes on the luggage and the patented Eric Buell Gastank/Frame Slider Puck, but it looked otherwise not bad.

I was fortunate to have a retired firefighter a few cars behind me. He directed traffic and handled the 911 call.

e. My fiance put this picture on Facebook.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Good lord, what is that supposed to be on the plate? Lasagna?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

drat, just saw that picture and came here to see what happened. Hope you heal up quick :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Good lord, what is that supposed to be on the plate? Lasagna?

Tilapia. It was actually pretty tasty.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

drat, just saw that picture and came here to see what happened. Hope you heal up quick :(

Thanks, dude.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Oh, drat, glad you're ok Safety Dance.

e: How much Morphiene had you had in that picture? You look so happy.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
WTF, man? This is god somehow saying you should have stayed in the ATL.

:glomp: Get better, dude.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Since everyone else is being nice I'll let you know that, yes, that was dumb as poo poo. What the hell dude, you rode right into the wall?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Shimrod posted:

Oh, drat, glad you're ok Safety Dance.

e: How much Morphiene had you had in that picture? You look so happy.

A little morphine, a lot of dilaudid, and a handful of vicodin. I'm managing the pain pretty well at this point. I'm down to taking half-doses of vicodin.

I'll probably get surgery to reattach my fibula early this week. With any luck, I should be able to get in a walking boot in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Sorry about your crash SD. Was your mind wandering? Mental mood when you got on the bike? Get the zoomies because it's Summer in Chicago?

• Locked thread