Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leal posted:

Maybe if Bad Munki would update the OP already.

:siren: Happy Independence Day, it's out! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I actually checked. That was mean, you guys. :smith:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Mirthless posted:

I actually checked. That was mean, you guys. :smith:

It's probably best to just put Bad Munki on ignore until the new version is out.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If toady sees fireworks today it means 6 more months of bug fixing.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

scamtank posted:

That reminds me, there's now competition on the WW2 mod market!!

A Wolfenstein retro mod would probably be pretty funny. And not that far off from the rampages you can get up to in it.

Or just one where you have to survive in the New Order setting. It'd be a great excuse to add a Mecha Hitler megabeast. :getin:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 4, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hello Sailor posted:

It's probably best to just put Bad Munki on ignore until the new version is out.

But then how will you know it's out?! :confused:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Has Gemclod been modded in any way? If I wanted to upgrade the save to a newer version, can I just drop the region save in with the rest of them and go, or will I run into incompatibilities if I do that?

I suppose I could just play it using the version of DF that comes with the save file, but I'd like to try upgrading to the most recent version if possible.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

But then how will you know it's out?! :confused:

He's obviously some kind of arch-conservative who never wants anyone to play the new version of anything. Wants us all to play 2D, I would guess.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

TildeATH posted:

some kind of arch-conservative

Liberal Crime Squad is a fun game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Turtlicious posted:

I think adding poo poo, piss, cum, dwarf sex, and blood pools, would be creepy and weird.

Correct on all the others but if you don't think making a moat and reservoir filled with the blood of invaders and sacrifices is the very essence of what DF is about, you're just wrong.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Turtlicious posted:

I think adding poo poo, piss, cum, dwarf sex, and blood pools, would be creepy and weird.

Armok: God of poo poo, Piss, Cum and Blood

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
As a proud sewer inspector IRL I want dwarf poo poo simulation in DF.

Plus elves poo poo out flowers or somesuch.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

In my masterwork succubus fortress, it keeps raining succubus blood. Masterwork is ahead of the game already.

What I want to know is, how can I collect all this rain for...things.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I do hope we will one day have pools of general liquids. A reservoir filled with booze, now that's what Dwarf Fortress is all about.

Or maybe a giant statue of a dwarf, holding a mug from which pours an endless waterfall of beer. Straight into the dining room, so everyone gets drunk off the mist.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
You can already buy barrels of blood from caravans for...some reason. You can't cook with it and you can't make a bloodpit to dump goblins into so it kinda just sits around.

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve
please support and motivate our artist to continue his work on this epic painting.
http://2ch.hk/vg/res/7894802.html#7894802

Aydjile fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 4, 2014

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
:siren: SIRENS ARE RAD AND COOL :siren:

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Has Gemclod been modded in any way? If I wanted to upgrade the save to a newer version, can I just drop the region save in with the rest of them and go, or will I run into incompatibilities if I do that?

I suppose I could just play it using the version of DF that comes with the save file, but I'd like to try upgrading to the most recent version if possible.

It is modded quite a bit, unfortunately. It won't work without its raw files... but aren't those included in save folders? I guess you could try to copy the save with all its raws to a new version and try if it works. As long as you keep the raws it should (could).

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hey, progress!

Mifki has stated that since he's a little wary of cataclysmic changes in the next version re: rendering stuff, he's keeping the multilevel and nextgen (different tile sizes in menus and maps) separate for the time being. The good news is that both work for Windows now!!

e: lookit that 9x12 versus 12x12 daaaaang

scamtank fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 5, 2014

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

scamtank posted:

Hey, progress!

Mifki has stated that since he's a little wary of cataclysmic changes in the next version re: rendering stuff, he's keeping the multilevel and nextgen (different tile sizes in menus and maps) separate for the time being. The good news is that both work for Windows now!!

e: lookit that 9x12 versus 12x12 daaaaang

How does one go about running this? The provided readme isn't much help and I'm a bit obtuse when it comes to dfhack.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Here's how it goes down:

MULTIPLE LEVELS:

1.) Get the newest multilevel build from Mifki's automatic buildserver. He primarily codes for the OS X, but Windows (and later Linux) follow behind.
2.) Put the appropriate version of .dll in your \hack\plugins folder. You can see your current DFHack version on the main menu.
3.) Put shadows.png in your \data\art folder. If you want to screw around with overrides.txt, it goes in the \data\init folder.
4.) Open up your init.txt and make sure that your PRINT_MODE is set to STANDARD or VBO and that FONT and GRAPHICS_FONT (or the fullscreen variants, if you're into that) are different - the first is used for text, the second for the playing field. Make them the same size (or an obvious multiple like 8x8 and 16x16) to avoid weird scaling issues.
5.) Boot up the game and you can see multiple levels down! Use the DFHack command "multilevel x" to adjust the amount of layers seen. It goes from zero to 15, but be warned, it eats a lot of processing juice. Unfortunately, special creature graphics don't render correctly in the seen-below layers, but that's for the future.

DIFFERENT TILE SIZES:

1.) Get the newest nextgen build, see above.
2.) -"-
3.) -"-
4.) Open up your init.txt and make sure your PRINT_MODE is set to STANDARD or VBO and that FONT and GRAPHICS_FONT (or the fullscreen variants, if you're into that) are different - the first is used for text, the second for the playing field.
Since you probably want square tiles and properly kerned text, make sure that the latter number (Y-axis) of the text tile isn't bigger than the one of the graphic tile. 9x12 and 12x12. 8x16 and 16x16. 6x9 and 10x10. For reference, curses_640x300 and 800x600 are 9x12 and 10x12 respectively.
5.) Boot up the game and marvel at the legibility!

e2: Okay now I get it. The GRAPHICS tileset takes priority and forces the text tiles into a misshapen mold if they're bigger. Fixed the facts.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 5, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Blown-up Phoebus_32x32 against curses_640x300 in a teeny tiny window, defying all sense of minimum width. Whenever you move the looK-cursor, it redraws the entire screen in a noticeable flash, but works fine otherwise. Jesus, this is robust.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is this the same plugin that allows for unlimited tilesets? This UI progress is more exciting than the actual DF update that's been two years in the making.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, in the sense that you can assign just about any character from an unlimited amount of tile sheets to certain buildings and items. The auto-generated C headers that list them all are included in the TWBT packages.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

scamtank posted:

Here's how it goes down:

MULTIPLE LEVELS:

1.) Get the newest multilevel build from Mifki's automatic buildserver. He primarily codes for the OS X, but Windows (and later Linux) follow behind.
2.) Put the appropriate version of .dll in your \hack\plugins folder. You can see your current DFHack version on the main menu.
3.) Put shadows.png in your \data\art folder. If you want to screw around with overrides.txt, it goes in the \data\init folder.
4.) Open up your init.txt and make sure that your PRINT_MODE is set to STANDARD or VBO and that FONT and GRAPHICS_FONT (or the fullscreen variants, if you're into that) are different - the first is used for text, the second for the playing field. Make them the same size (or an obvious multiple like 8x8 and 16x16) to avoid weird scaling issues.
5.) Boot up the game and you can see multiple levels down! Use the DFHack command "multilevel x" to adjust the amount of layers seen. It goes from zero to 15, but be warned, it eats a lot of processing juice. Unfortunately, special creature graphics don't render correctly in the seen-below layers, but that's for the future.

DIFFERENT TILE SIZES:

1.) Get the newest nextgen build, see above.
2.) -"-
3.) -"-
4.) Open up your init.txt and make sure your PRINT_MODE is set to STANDARD or VBO and that FONT and GRAPHICS_FONT (or the fullscreen variants, if you're into that) are different - the first is used for text, the second for the playing field.
Since you probably want square tiles and properly kerned text, make sure that the latter number (Y-axis) of the text tile isn't bigger than the one of the graphic tile. 9x12 and 12x12. 8x16 and 16x16. 6x9 and 10x10. For reference, curses_640x300 and 800x600 are 9x12 and 10x12 respectively.
5.) Boot up the game and marvel at the legibility!

e2: Okay now I get it. The GRAPHICS tileset takes priority and forces the text tiles into a misshapen mold if they're bigger. Fixed the facts.

Having issues with this one, using phoebus 16x16 and curses 800x600, with the latest LNP (so dfhack r5) and the newest nextgen, following the steps above:

Once it runs the script once on the first startup, it considers the default curses to be the graphic set rather than the font set for some reason on the LNP launcher, and world creation reflects that. Then, it just crashes on embark. Just "has stopped working".

What am I doing wrong?

E: must be something with r5, r4 worked fine.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 5, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

For a long and storied set of reasons, the dual-tileset divide only really works in Fortress mode, during the gameplay proper. Adventure mode and world generation are still unsupported.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
The key commands in the second post don't work. Enter only selects one tile, and doesn't let you select a rectangle. <> doesn't change levels but just scrolls the map north and south.

Edit: Turns out it does move levels, but just looks like it's scrolling down. I've marked out an area for mining, but even though I have an idle miner nothing is happening. I can't select an area for cutting trees.

What exactly am I supposed to do in this game? I can't designate anyone to do anything, and left to their own devices they just do nothing.

Edit: Turns out you have to build up and down staircases to the lower level before he will go down and mine. You have to select several stair tiles, not just one.

pisshead fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 5, 2014

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
I think I'm pretty close to getting it working, but whenever I use mismatched font/tilesets (in this case mayday graphics with curses fonts) the font will still stretch out to 16x16:

e: Now I got the fonts working fine, but the game crashes on loading a map :( Using dfhack-r5 and twbt-nextgen-4.16.

e2: Downgrading to r4 fixed the crash on load, but now the game just crashes naturally after running a minute or so.

Catts fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 5, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

pisshead posted:

The key commands in the second post don't work. Enter only selects one tile, and doesn't let you select a rectangle. <> doesn't change levels but just scrolls the map north and south.

Edit: Turns out it does move levels, but just looks like it's scrolling down. I've marked out an area for mining, but even though I have an idle miner nothing is happening. I can't select an area for cutting trees.

What exactly am I supposed to do in this game? I can't designate anyone to do anything, and left to their own devices they just do nothing.

Edit: Turns out you have to build up and down staircases to the lower level before he will go down and mine. You have to select several stair tiles, not just one.

Add me on skype at "daggroth" and I can help you out.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Add me on skype at "daggroth" and I can help you out.

To be honest, I'm starting to work things out. A lot of reading the wiki and a lot of trial and error getting to grips with the atrocious interface. When you get past that, it's a pretty fun minecraft/civ/MUD crossover type thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

markus_cz posted:

It is modded quite a bit, unfortunately. It won't work without its raw files... but aren't those included in save folders? I guess you could try to copy the save with all its raws to a new version and try if it works. As long as you keep the raws it should (could).

Gemclod could be made to work in the last version of DF2010, but there's no way it will work in DF2012. The jump to 2012 broke compatibility.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Tenebrais posted:

...This UI progress is more exciting than the actual DF update that's been two years in the making.

I stopped closely following DF a year or so ago and just moved to checking if it had been released every month after I realized it was going to be a long time before the next release. Now that it's almost here, could someone please tell me if there's anything major being added to fortress mode? I remember being a bit annoyed with the things he was working on because it seemed like most of it was just really minor, uninteresting things for adventure mode that I didn't care about, with a few other minor things like multi-tile trees. Is this still the case?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Multi-tile trees, climbing/jumping are (probably) going to be in fortress mode, fortresses can be retired and will continue to run in the background. Probably some other stuff too?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Mostly it's been a lot of stuff in the background, that makes the world live while the game is going on. While your fortress is going wars will begin and end, sites and entities will appear and disappear, kings and queens will die and be succeeded by their heirs and I am pretty sure you can actually start a war that gets your whole civilization wiped out by killing a bunch of traders at the depot with magma.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

quote:

Change one line and the world erupts in no-quarter knife fights apparently... hopefully we've emerged from that.

one line dev log

Satone
Feb 10, 2007
Good to the last drop

OneTwentySix posted:

I stopped closely following DF a year or so ago and just moved to checking if it had been released every month after I realized it was going to be a long time before the next release. Now that it's almost here, could someone please tell me if there's anything major being added to fortress mode? I remember being a bit annoyed with the things he was working on because it seemed like most of it was just really minor, uninteresting things for adventure mode that I didn't care about, with a few other minor things like multi-tile trees. Is this still the case?

They've been saying via devlog that they've hosed with pretty much every aspect of the game (and to expect shittons of bugs and !FUN!).

There was a link to a devlog list of new features on here a page or two back so probably check that out. Climbing, jumping, multi-tile and level tree's, armies, more interaction with the outside world from your fort, I think, dual-weapons, some more dynamic population mechanics, new plants etc. Toady keeps saying its gonna be a crapton of stuff.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Didn't he untie attack speed from movement speed? I bet that's going to have a big impact on how fortress mode fights play out.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

He did. There's a lot more to combat now, even if he didn't tackle the Combat Arc in earnest yet. He said that it's only the most minimum groundwork to make the current priority features function like intended.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Welp, already my fine instructions are obsolete. nextgen_4.17 gets multilevel rendering now, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm gonna be lost when a new version releases until a LNP get's released for it. All those addons just confuse me.