Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Pvt.Scott posted:

Six months after Juan's passing Gunther returns to the US to see his mother. At first she does not recognize the boy she had long thought dead in the grizzled man before her. Soon though, mother and son wordlessly embrace and cry tears of joy and sorrow for hours.

Later that day when his mother inquires about Rosa, Gunther quietly replies, " Rosa? The last time I saw her I was too busy buying her and the others time to escape to say hello." He smiles and rolls up his left sleeve to reveal a deep jagged scar and offers no further explanation.

Tomorrow: Tiffany gets mocked by kindergarteners.

(Seriously, man, if only)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The comic strips have been so bad lately that there hasn't even been anything worth editing.

So, instead here's 1960s cartoon Spider-Man loving up a rescue very badly.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Say Nothing posted:

The comic strips have been so bad lately that there hasn't even been anything worth editing.

I love the sign on the building in the background. What loving country is he in?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Kingdom posted:

I love the sign on the building in the background. What loving country is he in?

What loving country was he animated in, more like.

It no longer exists.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Who was Zippy obsessed with before Judge Judy went on the air? Griffith seems to go to the JJ thing a lot is all I'm saying.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"Oh sorry, I forgot to say the magic word. How rude of me. Are we finished, motherfucker?"

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

I really hope Mary helps the indigo child learn to connect with the cosmos. I really hope that's actually going to happen in this storyline, it'll be great.
Also acceptable:

- Mary helps diagnose the kid with schizophrenia.

- Mary helps diagnose the kid with a brain tumor, and Tom Batiuk is so furious that another cartoonist is encroaching on his cancer monopoly that he has an epic public meltdown.

edit:

Johnny Walker posted:

Who was Zippy obsessed with before Judge Judy went on the air? Griffith seems to go to the JJ thing a lot is all I'm saying.
In the 80s, it was Judge Wapner from The People's Court, I think. I'm (fortunately) not old enough to know if there was an obsession before that one.

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 6, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Say Nothing posted:

That last panel - I couldn't see anything else.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

tiistai posted:

Vesa Keskinen is the CEO of a large Finnish department store and a fairly common sight in the yellow paper headlines. I guess he's kinda like a poor man's Donald Trump. Fairly wealthy by local standards anyway.
Donald Trump is the poor man's Donald Trump.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Say Nothing posted:

That dude shouldn't have eaten that Rarebit. Now he's getting nightmares about Spider man taking him to Hell.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (July 9, 1967)

The Psychological Martyrdom of The Immaculately Pure Artist

We must've missed the part where the producers promised him...well, anything.

Classic Popeye Sunday, in which Olive plays the services against each other. (c. 1942)

Pogo gives us PATRIOTISM! (June 29, 1969)

A toast to Jefferson Davis!

First-Gen Blondie (c. 1942)

Out Our Way (March 27-28, 1925)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

What the hell was that?

Heavenly Nostrils

:)

9 Chickweed Lane 7/6/2003

Eh, pretty cliché, but whatever.

Zits

drat strong drone, there. Unless they toned down the physics engine or something.

This is just stupid.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic
I love this Phantom storyline. It's the silliest thing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Les' producer probably promised him the moon, but not in writing.

Always get promises that matter in writing, folks!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

What the hell was that?

Wiley wishes he was Charles Addams. I also wish Wiley was Charles Addams.

Another twist ending! Carmen's been sticking the dog in the tree the whole time! Munchausen's Syndrome by :shlick:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

Hey, gently caress you lady!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
DOGG

Ripley's

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

I've definitely had this experience before.

Cow and Boy

Okey-doke.

Sherman's Lagoon

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

The Phantom

Pickles

Sunday Rip Haywire

Classic Prince Valiant

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

The Lord of Hats posted:

In general, yeah, but for someone like Gunther (who is going to loving die in Peru)? It's pretty unusual. I think he'd have been better off getting on with his life than following a high-school romance to Peru to work in a clinic without any qualifications beyond a high-school diploma. I mean, I suppose that's a good set of memories to have, but does he even speak the language?

International experiences are almost always loved by colleges and employers. It's another advantage that rich kids have over average middle class people, since they can get that abroad experience more easily (I know because I have rich cousins I'm jealous of for exactly this reason). This strip is trying to make drama out of this when there really is no question that going to Peru is likely a good idea, and in a way which has nothing to do with Rosa. At Gunther's age, you need things that make you stand out on paper. And boy does he need it.

EasyEW posted:

We must've missed the part where the producers promised him...well, anything.
I'm being paid and I've been given an opportunity most writers can only dream of, especially in Podunk, Ohio. AHH THE TORTURE! :negative:

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 6, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Elissimpark posted:

That last panel - I couldn't see anything else.

Nice.

Viivi & Wagner

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Muslims in 455 AD?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He was lost at sea for a really long time.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Shugojin posted:

Les' producer probably promised him the moon, but not in writing.

He was gonna re-name the moon Lisa :smith:

Has Baituk actually ever been screwed over by Hollywood, or has he just worried about it while watching The Player?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Uh, did I miss something or did Val just sell the slaves that were on the pirate ship?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

RandomFerret posted:

Wiley wishes he was Charles Addams. I also wish Wiley was Charles Addams.
If he'd stopped on the third panel he almost could've been.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Muslims in 455 AD?

Prince Valiant plays pretty fast and loose with history. If I remember right there's another adventure where he fights Vikings, longships and all, about 400 years before they appear. It's more historically-inspired than historically-accurate.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Prince Valiant: A Few Minor Fatalities

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Selachian posted:

Uh, did I miss something or did Val just sell the slaves that were on the pirate ship?

Eh, sure, a few slave trades, little light slaughter, no bigs

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Haha, The Comics Curmudgeon posted an old Mary Worth strip from 2009:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, I remember that arc. Tasteful pinups and love of musical theatre really are the calling cards of a horrible pervert. :allears:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I was going to skip posting the catch-up on Rip Kirby, but it chose this week to get slightly badass, so...

reclusivemind
Dec 17, 2002
Man of little importance

Kennel posted:

Haha, The Comics Curmudgeon posted an old Mary Worth strip from 2009:

I can't believe this was 5 years ago. In comic strip time it was like a two months ago.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

reclusivemind posted:

I can't believe this was 5 years ago. In comic strip time it was like a two months ago.

Mary Worth meddles so hard that she disrupted the normal flow of time.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Good heavens! That horrible screeching from the wireless has given Bill an aneurysm.

Pibgorn

It'll take something much stronger than that to make you forget you starred in this travesty.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Everybody go read the solution to this.

Wanamingo fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 7, 2014

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I knew it was the third guy not because I actually figured it out but because the "camera" was zoomed out enough that you could see a bunch of the room for no immediately obvious reason so I figured the clue must have been somewhere in there.

This is what Inspector Danger has reduced me to, a debased wretch of a mystery-solver, groping madly at the darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Everybody go read the solution to this.

this is such bullshit it's actually giving me a headache

• Locked thread