Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

The radioactive guy is Ukraine, I'm sure, he's wearing blue and gold, the colours of Ukraine. The girl is Moldova, who is arm in arm with Romania because she is a historic part of Romania, but has a large Ukrainian ethnic minority.

The colors definitely make sense then. I wonder if I'm having so much trouble with this because I'm hella colorblind? Are all of the countries really obvious due to color scheme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Peanut President posted:

Some of them are easy if you know their flags/relationships. Like Greece giving Cyprus money. The kid with the sand tools is Gibraltar because they're one of two to give votes to the UK, etc.

edit: The Pitchfork soviet is probably Belarus. Shabby soviet coat & pitchfork seems to match the general stereotype of belarus, a backwards farm land that thinks it's still 1960. :belarus:

The poodle is Monaco.

Edit: also it can't be Gibraltar since they never participated in the Eurovision Song Contest, it must be Malta.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 5, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Funniest part of that white people map to me is the extensive racial differences it shows between Greeks and Turks. One is pure white and the other pure non-white, they aren't at all pretty much the same people.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

mcustic posted:

the dude in the cowboy hat. The only nationality left is Croatian, and somehow it doesn't make any sense.

The dude in the cowboy hat is Croatian man, notice the red and white checkerboard.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Didn't know about Gibraltar not being in it. Malta makes sense too, though.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I think the guy walking away with a bushful of metal is Romania or something.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Then who's the vampire dude? I figured that had to be Romania because of Transylvania

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Supeerme posted:

I think the guy walking away with a bushful of metal is Romania or something.

I'd say it's Poland, Romania is up there with Ukraine.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

That's absolutely Poland; his shirt is the flag and he's supposed to be a plumber/mechanic.

Bulgaria with the poisoned umbrella is a nice touch.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Lol at Armenia and Azerbaijan giving each others points though. People were investigated for voting for Armenia.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Eurovision is my response when my European friends say that all American TV is poo poo.

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.
Eurovision is mankind's greatest cultural achievement.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pook Good Mook posted:

Eurovision is my response when my European friends say that all American TV is poo poo.

Eurovision happens once a year and is miles ahead of all the usual talent show rubbish like X-Factor, Superstar, Voice, Dancing with the Stars...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pook Good Mook posted:

You really shouldn't rub it in.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

steinrokkan posted:

Eurovision happens once a year and is miles ahead of all the usual talent show rubbish like X-Factor, Superstar, Voice, Dancing with the Stars...

It's hugely entertaining, even though the winners won't really be successful afterwards (except ABBA, one of the biggest bands of the last century).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Torrannor posted:

It's hugely entertaining, even though the winners won't really be successful afterwards (except ABBA, one of the biggest bands of the last century).
Celine Dion did pretty well too.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Lordi was and is pretty successful, kinda.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You really shouldn't rub it in.

Now if he really wanted to rub it in: the Dutch invented Big Brother.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Riso posted:

Now if he really wanted to rub it in: the Dutch invented Big Brother.
The Dutch invented like 50% of all reality shows.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gently caress you Endemol :argh:

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
Asia checking in ...

Here are the South China Sea territorial claims illustrated and explained

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I didn't know Taiwan's claims were as ridiculous as China's.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
They're all ridiculous and the islands quite clearly belong to Freedomland!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

duckmaster posted:

They're all ridiculous and the islands quite clearly belong to Freedomland!

"In August 1974 Cloma changed the name of the country from Freedomland to Colonia."

Erm, I know the actual intention was to name it after "colony", but...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Taiwan claims far more territory than China actually. They claim the entirety of Qing China, which would include Mongolia.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Grand Fromage posted:

Taiwan claims far more territory than China actually. They claim the entirety of Qing China, which would include Mongolia.

That's because officially, they can't recognize any treaties signed by the PRC, correct? So any reduction in territory agreed to by the PRC Taiwan pretends never happened.

Both countries do this stupid song and dance where they can't acknowledge that they're really just separate countries at this point, because then they'd have to nuke each other or something.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

One reason for Taiwan's claims is like the other posters said, because it is making these claims as the "real government of China".

In recent years the other reason Taiwan has made claims like these is also in order to ruin its relationships with surrounding countries. If they wanted, they could easily shut up (not relinquish, per say, just not bring up) about these claims. But the KMT government that is in control of the country is very China friendly, and not only have they done everything they could to get friendly with China in the past 6 years, they've also made use of every opportunity to start a petty, stupid fight with any other neighbouring country. If Taiwan's relations with surrounding countries sour and it becomes even more dependent on its relationship with China, then it just makes it that much easier to integrate it into China in the future.

With that said, Taiwan is the only country out of all of the claimants that controls an island that is big enough to have its own supply of fresh water. (Taiping Island)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Honest question for goons schooled in S.E. Asia geo-politics:

What is the possibility or likelihood of Taiwan and China just coming to a table and saying, "Right, this is ridiculous, we're two different countries?" And if that's a ridiculous notion who has a more intractable position? My sense is that it's the PRC, simply because they are larger and more powerful and could unilaterally decide to change the status quo if they decided to.

That said, why isn't there a forum like the nations that deal with North Korean nuclear ambitions to solve this problem? I don't think the US can lead the way because it has so much to lose in trade relations. Why doesn't the UN or hell, Britain/France/Germany take the lead? I want to be optimistic and assume there's more than national pride to this foolishness (but I acknowledge that it probably has everything to do with national pride).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

What is the possibility or likelihood of Taiwan and China just coming to a table and saying, "Right, this is ridiculous, we're two different countries?" And if that's a ridiculous notion who has a more intractable position? My sense is that it's the PRC, simply because they are larger and more powerful and could unilaterally decide to change the status quo if they decided to.
Why would they? Seems to me that reunification is going to be more and more likely going forward, given liberalization in China as well as China increasingly asserting itself.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Pook Good Mook posted:

Honest question for goons schooled in S.E. Asia geo-politics:

That said, why isn't there a forum like the nations that deal with North Korean nuclear ambitions to solve this problem? I don't think the US can lead the way because it has so much to lose in trade relations. Why doesn't the UN or hell, Britain/France/Germany take the lead? I want to be optimistic and assume there's more than national pride to this foolishness (but I acknowledge that it probably has everything to do with national pride).

Nobody is actually dying due to this "problem" so in that sense it isn't really a problem at all.

The KMT (ROC) follow the 3 No's policy - No Unification, No Independence, No Force. The PRCs position is that the ROC doesn't exist and they're just a part of China under the One Country, Two Governments system (similar to how Hong Kong and Macau work, except obviously they have actually agreed to it). The PRC are waiting for the ROC to fold into that system whilst the ROC are making no noises about it so they don't have to. In other words, they're quite happy to maintain the status quo.

Taiwan residents are free to visit the mainland with a travel permit issued by the PRC (although they can visit HK & Macau with an ROC passport) whilst mainland Chinese from certain cities (most of them) can visit Taiwan independently, the rest having to go with a tour. There are certain commentators who believe WW3 is going to kick off between China/Taiwan any day now which is just ridiculous on so many levels. Recent events have shown that the most likely millitary conflict in the region will be between China and Vietnam, and even that's so unlikely to be irrelevant.

I can't see either the PRC or ROC taking a British/French/German delegation seriously on an issue which really doesn't appear to be much of a problem for them at all (or for the British/French/Germans for that matter!).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

As long as both sides continue their current policy of "la la nothing to see here there is only one China hey look at that island the Japanese are stealing" then everybody gets to continue on with their lives. There's not much incentive on either side to mess with it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Beijing has no reason to blink on the issue of Taiwan because hypothetically changing its position would also harm the PROC's legitimacy in areas it actually does control.

The DPP (the main opposition party in Taiwan) did bark a lot of pro-independence rhetoric when it was in power, but even that party has largely moderated its position in the past decade.

As a Taiwanese American, I got the impression that Taiwanese Independence was a more popular idea among the Taiwanese diaspora than it is in Taiwan itself. (They even funded a lovely movie about it starring James Van Der Beek.)

My poorly invested opinion is "Yeah nobody wants to die over it; it's all probably bullshit."

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 6, 2014

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Still, I could see the EU sending someone there for talks. Because they might otherwise run out of intractable conflicts to try to solve.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

EricBauman posted:

Still, I could see the EU sending someone there for talks. Because they might otherwise run out of intractable conflicts to try to solve.

Well Crimea happened and that's at least 10-20 years worth of fruitless meetings and impotent statements we can use to pretend relevance.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Taiwan considers itself to be China, and they're not going to stop anytime soon unless they want the CCP to come knocking at their door.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
A map of largest companies in each U.S. state by revenue; map by Broadview, data from Hoover's

More info at http://www.businessinsider.com/company-revenue-map-2014-6

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Business Insider loves maps.

This one might be overreaching: analyzing data and plotting countries on a "culture map."

It didn't survive the Zamzar .png to .jpg conversion well.

The bottom words are Survival Values and Self-Expression Values

Original report at http://www.businessinsider.com/inglehart-welzel-culture-map-2014-7

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

IntricoInutile posted:

This one might be overreaching: analyzing data and plotting countries on a "culture map."

Original report at http://www.businessinsider.com/inglehart-welzel-culture-map-2014-7

Noted Islamic State of Zambia :confused:

I've never been a fan of Inglehart and Welzel's analysis, since it seems like they're both confusing causation and implicitly making a somewhat patronizing cultural-development argument.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

IntricoInutile posted:

Move Poland to Asia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I made an improved version of the "map".