Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If you want the game harder, don't use the difficulty slider, get mods that dick with pricing, restoration, cripple effects, equipment rarity, enemy spawns, things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And I'm spitballing here, but maybe put points into combat skills?

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Ya I put the game on Normal and it seems to be a lot more lenient in what sort of damage I take. I started putting points in 'guns' too. My problem is I try to do everything in one play through which is obviously not possible, heh.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Well if you aren't using JSawyer and you have the DLC then unless you set your Intelligence to 1 you most likely can max out every skill in the game. Speaking of which, if you aren't using JSawyer then do NOT do the DLC too early. For some reason the vanilla DLC give absolute shitloads of EXP and will destroy the level/difficulty curve for the regular game.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

Zeron posted:

Well if you aren't using JSawyer and you have the DLC then unless you set your Intelligence to 1 you most likely can max out every skill in the game. Speaking of which, if you aren't using JSawyer then do NOT do the DLC too early. For some reason the vanilla DLC give absolute shitloads of EXP and will destroy the level/difficulty curve for the regular game.

I just got jswayer but I haven't initialized it for this play through. I will for the next tho so thanks for the heads up!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
So, I picked up the Ultimate Edition of NV over the summer sale. Any chance there's a goon-approved mod compilation available? Setting up mods in Bethesda-series games is always a pain in the dick.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Lprsti99 posted:

So, I picked up the Ultimate Edition of NV over the summer sale. Any chance there's a goon-approved mod compilation available? Setting up mods in Bethesda-series games is always a pain in the dick.

Personally, I never play the game without the JSawyer mod, which is more about tweaks and such than a full overhaul, but that's down to personal preference. That aside, patched New Vegas doesn't honestly need a lot to make a first playthrough enjoyable, and there's a poo poo-tonne of content in the Ultimate Edition. I'd recommend a UI mod (Darnified UI is my favourite) and maybe Fellout if the orange tint bugs you. Both are in the OP. Give it a go with those and then just add any quality of life mods you feel like you need.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Is anyone familiar with Fallout: Who Vegas? I beat the first quest, got my screwdriver and stuff but have no idea what the hell to do next, or how to start space battles, etc.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Lprsti99 posted:

First get something like FOMM.

CASM and YUP. CASM saves the game automatically at an interval you can set which helps if you forget to press f5 alot like me, though it needs NVSE. YUP, on the other hand, is a bunch of bug fixes and changes nothing else unlike the other big bug fix mod. It doesn't need NVSE. The game itself is perfectly playable vanilla but Jsawyer was made by the lead developer and changes some aspects to be more how he envisioned the game. It does make the game more difficult though. There's also Project Nevada which adds in alot of new things and features to the game but is easily edited from the main menu.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 5, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, I agree that it's best to experience the game in a mostly vanilla state first. Use JSawyer to rebalance and tweak it a bit and MAYBE add Project Nevada, but that's all I suggest. Once you at least beat the main quest and maybe the DLC in that form, start modding.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Nevada skies is good as well, it changes the weather to make it more realistic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

rocket_man38 posted:

Nevada skies is good as well, it changes the weather to make it more realistic.

I use Western Sky for mine. It's been a bit less glitchy than Nevada Skies and includes the Fellout-style filter removal.

Adding on to what I said, I would suggest (if you don't care about experience the low-quality vanilla textures) you get the NMC Texture Pack and Weapon Retexture Project, as well as Millenia's other weapon textures. It's more resource intensive than the base game, but it can make it seriously pretty if combined with Western Sky or Nevada Skies and/or Fellout.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Is Western Sky animated yet? That always used to bother me somewhat.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I love gibbing, but I will tweak PN so that the odds of people getting limbs severed/gibbed is greatly reduced. I feel like the default value is crazy-high, and it sort of turns it into a mundane happening when it should really be an awesome experience every time.
I just reinstalled Fallout 3 the other day, and the very first Vault 101 guard I killed had his head fly off from a single pistol shot. At least that made my character's first kill properly :stare:-inducing, I guess.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Did Fallout Character Overhaul ever get smoothed out? Cause this popped up on the Nexus today:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/56312/

Sounds kinda interesting, and piggybacks off FCO.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That mod gets a little weird with the corpse nudity but otherwise it's pretty alright. It makes black characters actually look brown instead of like this weird burnt red color so points on them for that.

edit: Do note though that upon installing it, I believe it'll ask you if you want the nudity and stuff, which you can say 'no' to.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 5, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I like some of it, but others just confuse the hell out of me. Like changing people's skin colors to match their voice actors? But my favorite is this one.

"I wanted him to look evil, so I gave him a tattoo and a goatee."

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Brainamp posted:

I like some of it, but others just confuse the hell out of me. Like changing people's skin colors to match their voice actors? But my favorite is this one.

"I wanted him to look evil, so I gave him a tattoo and a goatee."

"These characters just DON'T FIT, so I added some stereotypes and caricatures to fix it."

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Yeah, some of the changes are kinda dumb, but overall it doesn't look half bad.

And drat that ghoul race :stare:

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Making Legate Lanius look like Tim Buckley is also an odd choice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Making Legate Lanius look like Tim Buckley is also an odd choice.

The two definitely ramble on about bullshit for similar lengths of time though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 6, 2014

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah, some of the changes are kinda dumb, but overall it doesn't look half bad.

And drat that ghoul race :stare:

I'm not even out of Goodsprings in my new game but FCO was one of the mods I got and I'm pretty impressed with it. It tends to have more problems with neck seams than vanilla but the faces are drat good. And yes, that ghoul race :stare:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

still cannot get over changing characters to "fit" their voice actor

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
My biggest annoyance were those two pre-requisite body mods. Installing them was a very :nexus: experience. At least there were underwear options.

e: woah :nexus: has its own smiley now, lacks floppy dongs tho

e2: derp, it was Spice of Life I was thinking of regarding body mods, not FCO. Still, FCO is pretty great. Spice of Life is good too. Very nice looking outfits and they aren't balanced in a retarded way, aka here's a cotton shirt that gives you 20 DT.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 6, 2014

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Last time I played this game I got about 6 hours in before it started crashing constantly (like, load a save -> 1-2 minutes later crash). Maybe it was 10, I dunno, I just remember I couldn't reasonably keep going about the time I got to the tops (and I hosed around a lot before that). I didn't have any weird mods or whatever.

Any ideas why this happened and how I can have it, like, not happen if I start again?

From memory: for a bit before I got to the tops, it would crash a ways into playing; sometimes, say, half an hour in, sometimes sooner. The way I found around that was to make a new save and load from that, which for whatever reason worked, until later when doing so didn't help at all and I was doomed to crash. I remember this happening in the previous run, too, but it was as soon as like 2 hours in when I was at the NCRCF talking to Eddie; crashing consistently some number of seconds after I loaded the save, and if I made a new save and loaded from that it would just crash even sooner.

Load order, taken from FoMM

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
:siren:Read the readmes and description pages of mods!:siren:
Don't use Rotface to Riches, A Van Graff Scorned, Pacers Gambit in combination with Freeside Open.
NewVegasStripOverhaul needs to be lower in your loadorder then StripOpenMain
All you need from Clean-Deluxe is:
code:
Clean-Deluxe FNV.esm (with the bsa)
Clean-Deluxe FNV.esp
Clean-Deluxe FNV Merge - All DLC.esp 
Get rid of the other seperate DLC ones. Also try a new game without this mod. This might be a source of crashing.

Disable autosave in your settings and get CASM to replace quicksave. The vanilla quicksave and autosave work fine on a vanilla setup, but can cause problems like corrupt saves on a heavily modded game.
Get NVAC. This is a plugin for NVSE that can prevent crashing and freezing.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 6, 2014

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks. I can definitely survive Clean-Deluxe. I hope that's the issue.

I'm not sure why I have the new vegas uncut stuff in there, I stopped using it after I did a single run with all that stuff. I guess I screwed with my loads for whatever reason when I was trying to fix it.

I'll grab NVAC and the other stuff you mentioned.

e: load order's probably not to the cause, this is again probably after I screwed with it endlessly.

ee: and thanks again for the help!

fronz fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 6, 2014

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Anyone here tried Shogo Heavy Industries? Looks cool but I'd like a testimonial or two.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Dracomies posted:

These changes are absolutely not for children and as I improve upon this project, I will separate the content as it would probably be banned from the Nexus.

Content that WOULD BE BANNED ON THE NEXUS. :stare:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Capn Beeb posted:

Did Fallout Character Overhaul ever get smoothed out? Cause this popped up on the Nexus today:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/56312/

Sounds kinda interesting, and piggybacks off FCO.

"I put some scars/wounds/dirt to the character's face (unless it's a woman of course)"

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Content that WOULD BE BANNED ON THE NEXUS. :stare:
So, textures from another game?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

FronzelNeekburm posted:

So, textures from another game?

Harvest-able uteri craftable into sandwiches.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Crimson Harvest posted:

Harvest-able uteri craftable into sandwiches.

Nah, that sounds right up Nexus' alley.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Smol posted:

"I put some scars/wounds/dirt to the character's face (unless it's a woman of course)"

No he did that a few times too. Some might say a few too many times.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

CJacobs posted:

No he did that a few times too. Some might say a few too many times.

I sometimes download larger mods like this one to see if there are any textures or (parts of) models I can crib for personal use. Going through the folders, I have concluded that this dude is clearly obsessed with crying, beaten up, raped and mutilated women who usually have their bruised tits out for no reason. All the prostitutes have their tits out as well for masturbation immersion purposes. It also includes erect and flaccid penises and a raider armour with some sort of boner cage. A+ for effort, though, that poo poo takes dedication.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Nah, that sounds right up Nexus' alley.

He is referencing a mod that exists and has been covered in the awful mod thread, BTW.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SplitSoul posted:

He is referencing a mod that exists and has been covered in the awful mod thread, BTW.

Oh, this sounds like a wonderful thread that I need to find.

Edit: Got it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I actually wanna use it for this: http://i.imgur.com/QtTERiE.jpg (linked for the sake of tables) so I can help the wastes in the name of the Greater Good.

E: also, Fronz, That list you posted doesn't indicate if every one of those plugins are enabled. IIRC, there's a way to make FOMM print out ALL available .esp's/.esm's, and one to make it release that list with a series of check boxes to indicate which are actually enabled and which you have ditched.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 6, 2014

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Well I guess it's a good thing FCO caused my game to crash and I removed it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
:sigh: God dammit, Nexus.

E:

So is there any decent mod that overhauls NPCs without making them look like plastic kawaii waifu-chans/extras in a snuff film or whatever the gently caress?

Beeb fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No.