Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Riki-Melia-Seven was my endgame death party -- Riki has a decent heal, Melia has a crappy one, and them combined with 7 means stuff dies too fast to have a chance at killing anyone anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I hope the new Xenoblade has better designed towns. I got lost at the first one in the game trying to look for NPCs I had to talk to and poo poo it was just a mess. Plus there is a ton of walking, I appreciate the sense of scale but wandering around big empty cities/fields gets old.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hope the new Xenoblade has better designed towns. I got lost at the first one in the game trying to look for NPCs I had to talk to and poo poo it was just a mess. Plus there is a ton of walking, I appreciate the sense of scale but wandering around big empty cities/fields gets old.

The only town I ever had issues with was Alcamoth though. I guess if you aren't using some FAQ or the wiki then Frontier Village was a pain, but I felt the rest were very straightforward.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They need to put NPCs on the map. Just go full Marauder's Map on that poo poo and it's all good.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Around what level should I expect to get the last character? I plug away at the game here and there, and I just got Melia at level 31. Everyone raves about this "seven" and I'd like to know, roughly, how much further into the game I need to go to find him/her/it and start rolling with a full party.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

Around what level should I expect to get the last character? I plug away at the game here and there, and I just got Melia at level 31. Everyone raves about this "seven" and I'd like to know, roughly, how much further into the game I need to go to find him/her/it and start rolling with a full party.

Keep going and enjoy figuring out the dynamics of different parties. You'll recruit Seven before you're done.

FalseShockWorker
Jan 28, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I don't remember exactly, but I was around the late 40s-early 50s when I finally got them.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

A bunch of stuff from the demo got translated. Mostly the full battle menu, class names, stats on the weapons, stuff like that. It may or may not be of interest.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I hope the new X game is going to be as awesome as it looks, but I would even just settle for an HD remaster of Xenoblade running at a higher resolution. I would buy a Wii U just for that, probably.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mune posted:

I hope the new X game is going to be as awesome as it looks, but I would even just settle for an HD remaster of Xenoblade running at a higher resolution. I would buy a Wii U just for that, probably.

I hope they do. I mean bayonetta 2 has the HD version of 1 and I don't think anyone expected that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just got to the big snowy area in Xenoblade 1. First of all, what the gently caress is this camera :( I've already accidentally fallen off a cliff and died. Second, what's the best thing to do once you enter a new area? I usually replace the more outdated pieces of my equipment with vendor crap and then go after enemies to grind for better equips, but that's usually an uphill struggle since things can kill you pretty easily if they're white or above.

Third, I like maining Melia. Her play style fits me the best. I can't figure out a good party to use her with, though. I know that I need one tank and one healer to not immediately get destroyed, so I usually roll Sharla and Dunban. Melia doesn't really do high DPS, though, so I lag behind on damage which I don't with Shulk. Is there a way to get aggro off of Melia, keep everyone's health up, and still do damage in a timely manner if I'm using her? Basically, what's her strategy?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Pollyanna posted:

Third, I like maining Melia. Her play style fits me the best. I can't figure out a good party to use her with, though. I know that I need one tank and one healer to not immediately get destroyed, so I usually roll Sharla and Dunban. Melia doesn't really do high DPS, though, so I lag behind on damage which I don't with Shulk. Is there a way to get aggro off of Melia, keep everyone's health up, and still do damage in a timely manner if I'm using her? Basically, what's her strategy?

You're totally wrong about Melia. She's the very definition of a glass cannon. Stop rolling with Sharla, her damage output slows you down from killing the gently caress out of enemies post-hate. Use Riki because Heropon best pon. Get the skill that restores HP whenever you perform a chain attack and slot it on everyone, and never stop chain attacking.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

I just got to the big snowy area in Xenoblade 1. First of all, what the gently caress is this camera :( I've already accidentally fallen off a cliff and died. Second, what's the best thing to do once you enter a new area? I usually replace the more outdated pieces of my equipment with vendor crap and then go after enemies to grind for better equips, but that's usually an uphill struggle since things can kill you pretty easily if they're white or above.

Melia has a bunch of oh-poo poo options for when she draws aggro like Shadow Stitch, Hypnosis and Reflection. Roll with your favourite summons (I like lightning, copy, earth and fire myself. Earth is good for chain attacks because of how the multiplier affects Damage over time and Lightning is your bread and butter for Melia's damage). Melia is also really REALLY good with chain attacks because she can use her talent art three times(!) which can lead to some massive chains, which is why I like using her with characters that build party gauge like Riki, Dunban or Shulk (she goes really well with Reyn too). Sharla can do alright in chain attacks with the right setup but you need to put some real thought into it- get headshot and her break art so she can do attacks of the same colour as your physical characters and you'll see some really bitchin numbers. Not to mention that spear break/Starlight kick is probably the best forced topple in the game if you can spare the art slots. A party with Melia should not be conservative, you should be murdering your enemies before they can lay a finger on you. Try ditching Sharla for Riki, Shulk or Reyn (Riki and Reyn being my suggestions but I'm not the one playing) and you will carve a bloody swathe through the mountains. :black101:

e: also her purple attacks that she can use when her talent bar is full are pretty good. Mind Blast is a lot of fun to use.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 4, 2014

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Is the AI of Xenoblade 1 known to be really bad?

I'm about 10 hours in and I had been dying a lot and was finding the game very frustrating. I must have died about 30 times on the Dark Kisling fight in the Ether cave. At level 20. Sharla would always die first before I could get a a full block on the party meter, so I couldn't revive her. Then that was it.

Someone on another forum told me to play as Sharla. I didn't know you could do that. I did it and the fight actually became easy. As Sharla, I just ran around the room away from the enemies and did nothing but heal everyone the whole time. It was an easy win. That's what her AI should have been doing. Is there a way to change the AI's strategy or is it just bad and you have to deal with it? Do most people play all the time as the healer?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I'm about 10 hours in and I had been dying a lot and was finding the game very frustrating. I must have died about 30 times on the Dark Kisling fight in the Ether cave. At level 20. Sharla would always die first before I could get a a full block on the party meter, so I couldn't revive her. Then that was it.

Someone on another forum told me to play as Sharla. I didn't know you could do that. I did it and the fight actually became easy. As Sharla, I just ran around the room away from the enemies and did nothing but heal everyone the whole time. It was an easy win. That's what her AI should have been doing. Is there a way to change the AI's strategy or is it just bad and you have to deal with it? Do most people play all the time as the healer?

Most of the time I don't use a healer at all. The odd Light Heal from Shulk is all I need.

As has been said many times, Sharla is a crutch that makes you reliant on Sharla. Her healing and complete lack of damage output drags fights out such that her presence is what causes you to need her in the first place.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Most of the time I don't use a healer at all. The odd Light Heal from Shulk is all I need.

As has been said many times, Sharla is a crutch that makes you reliant on Sharla. Her healing and complete lack of damage output drags fights out such that her presence is what causes you to need her in the first place.

Agreed. Sharla is good for bosses and fantastic for a lot of uniques uniques (and overall good if you gear her more towards support with a few healing and offensive arts instead of healing all the way, which is super redundant). Most overworld stuff though she's an active detriment that sort of makes the game less fun. You need to know when to use any given party, and there's nothing stopping you from experimenting given how little dying sets you back.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The problem with Sharla's AI is her talent art. It represents the heat of her rifle, filling up a little with each art used. If you wait until it's full you get locked out of using any of her arts for a while because you're dumb and let your rifle overheat. If you use the talent art to empty it before it's full this doesn't happen.

Guess what AI-controlled Sharla never does

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

That camera is pretty awful, but the area gets better after the start. Re: Melia, use Thunder and Ether gems and Dunban or Reyn with anyone BUT Sharla. Spend the start of a battle just popping a defensive element, Thunder, and copycat that. Fire one, if you don't pull aggro fire the other. Dunban and Shulk will be very competent at keeping the hate, you can play with your party composition for gaining affinity or doing chain attacks.

I hope X plays just like Xenoblade :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You guys were right, my performance instantly got better when I swapped in Shulk. :3: Splitting aggro between two people works surprisingly well.

I still like Sharla, kinda. Mostly cause of the gun, and if they worked any better, some of her defensive arts. I think she might do better if I main her instead of letting her AI control her. I'll just have to figure out what arts to choose.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

mune posted:

I'm surprised there wasn't an announcement of Xenoblade HD for the Wii U at e3. It wouldn't seem too difficult to produce and could provide a quality game for Wii U during 2014. The Wii and Wii U have similar architecture and Monlith's tech for the Wii U appears to be a natural progression of what they used for the Wii. There are also a few tech-savvy developers in Japan to help develop a HD remaster, such as Hexdrive who helped with Wind Waker HD or Bee Tribe with Bayonetta/The Wonderful 101. Hopefully, there is an announcement at a later Nintendo event or direct. It would help get people excited about Xenoblade X.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm sure they don't want to tear teams away from their current projects but an HD release as a stopgap between then and now would definitely build hype, introduce new players to the franchise, and give people the opportunity that missed the game to pick it up. Maybe it'll br a free pack-in ala BO1/2..

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Louisgod posted:

I'm sure they don't want to tear teams away from their current projects but an HD release as a stopgap between then and now would definitely build hype, introduce new players to the franchise, and give people the opportunity that missed the game to pick it up. Maybe it'll br a free pack-in ala BO1/2..

Come to think of it, Monolith Soft helps with the productions of other big Nintendo games, such as the recent Zelda games, with asset creation and programming. Monolith Tokyo would probably be helping Zelda Wii U with HD asset creation. However, they also have expertise in cutscene production and game design for open world gameplay. Monolith Kyoto is mostly an art team but some of the head staff there worked on Sub-space emissary in Brawl. I wouldn't be surprised they're working on Smash Run mode for the 3DS version of Smash Bros.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
I'm pretty sure Nintendo's attitude is that Xenoblade is already a Wii game and therefore playable on Wii U. Bayo 1 is probably only getting that Wii U because it's a) already an HD game and b) not available for a Nintendo system so they can't assume the sequel's potential audience will necessarily have had a chance to play the original.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

As much as I hate feeding GameStop's used sales machine, I'd definitely recommend checking out a local store if you're looking to purchase a copy of the original. The one I walked home with is more or less new, and the guy at the counter confirmed what I've read online: they got a bunch of new copies that they opened and put out as used. Also managed to find a Classic Controller Pro that feels like it may have suffered the same fate; it's utterly spotless and doesn't look like it's ever been used before.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think the original Xenoblade could use a re-release, but Nintendo seems pretty focused on what Japan wants. And Japan didn't get a tiny, barely advertised, retailer-exclusive print run of the game, so they don't really need another shot at Xenoblade.

While a HD remake (an HD remake?) would be pretty nice, just throwing the original on the eShop as-is would be fine for getting it into people's hands without them having to deal with GameStop scalping it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think not every game really calls for a full top-to-bottom remaster. For Xenoblade, they could just increase the rendering resolution, upgrade the UI elements to HD, and update the controller support. Most of the models and textures could be left as-is.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Can someone explain chain attacks to me? I'm picking the game back up after forever, and the system just never clicked for me. Everything else, I get. But not that.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Chaining together attacks of the same colour boosts the effect of each subsequent addition. So, doing three Red attacks in a row would see the second do a chunk more, the third even more than the second, etc. White attacks are "wildcards", in that they count as all colours simultaneously, and can be used to switch chain colours mid-chain, for example you can go Blue > Blue > White > Red > Red and it would count as a chain of 5 still.

An alternate use for Chain Attacks is if you need to topple/daze something right now. Using a sequence of Pink > Green > Yellow will make it happen unless the enemy is immune. Unless you can keep the chain going though you wont get the added damage benefit, as the three colours will not chain.

The odds of being able to extend the length of a chain beyond three increases with the parties compatability (not sure if this is the term used in game). Basically the more time members spend fighting and interacting together, the better they'll get along, and this will open up more branches of quests, heart to heart locations, gem synthesis strength and, as mentioned above, working together to keep a chain going.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I really want to play Xenoblade on the Wii U tablet controller. I've been waiting for a year at least for the Wii U tablet to work like a classic controller in vWii mode.
What the hell Nintendo!? loving get onto that poo poo immediately.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

I'm about three and a half hours in and I'm pretty sold. Really enjoyed the plot twist of having who I assumed was the love interest drive a big robot and then loving die. For some reason I feel like I'm playing the JRPG equivalent of Mass Effect. Not in the sense that you have (ultimately meaningless) story choices, but more the general atmosphere of an incomprehensible machine invader and loads of side quests and such.

motherbox fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 6, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

motherbox posted:

I'm about three and a half hours in and I'm pretty sold. Really enjoyed the plot twist of having who I assumed was the love interest drive a big robot and then loving die. For some reason I feel like I'm playing the JRPG equivalent of Mass Effect. Not in the sense that you have (ultimately meaningless) story choices, but more the general atmosphere of an incomprehensible machine invader and loads of side quests and such.

Xenoblade gets a pass only because its legitimately insane and its terrifying if you actually follow and comprehend the plot too much. It doesn't hurt the gameplay at all, but it does take incomprehensible to a location few can successfully pull off.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

legoman727 posted:

Can someone explain chain attacks to me? I'm picking the game back up after forever, and the system just never clicked for me. Everything else, I get. But not that.

Alris posted:

Chaining together attacks of the same colour boosts the effect of each subsequent addition. So, doing three Red attacks in a row would see the second do a chunk more, the third even more than the second, etc. White attacks are "wildcards", in that they count as all colours simultaneously, and can be used to switch chain colours mid-chain, for example you can go Blue > Blue > White > Red > Red and it would count as a chain of 5 still.

An alternate use for Chain Attacks is if you need to topple/daze something right now. Using a sequence of Pink > Green > Yellow will make it happen unless the enemy is immune. Unless you can keep the chain going though you wont get the added damage benefit, as the three colours will not chain.

The odds of being able to extend the length of a chain beyond three increases with the parties compatability (not sure if this is the term used in game). Basically the more time members spend fighting and interacting together, the better they'll get along, and this will open up more branches of quests, heart to heart locations, gem synthesis strength and, as mentioned above, working together to keep a chain going.

To expand on this a bit, each chain adds a certain amount to your "additive" multiplier. Whether a multiplier is additive or multiplicative only ends up really mattering when you start stacking them (I can go into more detail on this if anyone's curious). But as far as chain attacks are concerned, you could hand-wave describe them as follows:

Chain 1: 100% damage
Chain 2: 200% damage
Chain 3: 400% damage
Chain 4: 600% damage
Chain 5+ ("chain max"): 800% damage

Again, this is for using the same color consecutively (with white serving as a wildcard), as Alris described.

As for being able to continue the chain past the initial three attacks, there are four things that go into this: 30% is from affinity (what Alris mentioned), 30% from a mechanic called "tension" (the thing that makes your characters' portraits lean forward and catch on fire; this is a good thing and you want them to be on fire), 20% from skills or skill linking (Shulk has a 15% skill, Reyn has a 5% skill), and 20% if you perfectly timed the B button prompt the previous step of the chain attack continuation.

Of those, affinity and skill linking are the "prep work" sort of thing where you get better effects as you get further and further in the game, raise affinity between party members, and learn skills (and get the affinity and skill coins to link the skills). Tension depends on the specific fight, but even if it's not going well enough to get into high or very high tension, you can still easily maintain at least normal tension by having people encourage each other when they get into low or very low tension. And normal tension still gives 20% out of the possible 30%, so it's not too bad.

B prompt timing, well... personally I suck at that. But everything else gets you up to 80% odds of continuing after any given step, which is none too shabby even if you're lovely at timing B prompts like I am.

There's a hard max of 15 total steps (each person getting to do 5 things).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

But nothing stops you from building up a new chain you can trigger the moment the previous one ends. Riki is the best.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Regy Rusty posted:

They need to put NPCs on the map. Just go full Marauder's Map on that poo poo and it's all good.

They need to do something about the Quest System. It was almost perfect, but there still ended up being too many quests with no real idea on where to go such as where/when an NPC would appear.

If they can change this so the NPC's are persistant like in morrowind or whatever, letting you track them down and talk to them whereever, this would be awesome.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm 30 something hours into the Wii game and I haven't touched skill trees & skill links.
I don't know what switching Reyn from spirit to diligence does and I have no idea what skill links are about. Can someone explain this system please?

Great game of course, really enjoying it so far and I'm fully on board for the sequel

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

.TakaM posted:

I'm 30 something hours into the Wii game and I haven't touched skill trees & skill links.
I don't know what switching Reyn from spirit to diligence does and I have no idea what skill links are about. Can someone explain this system please?

Great game of course, really enjoying it so far and I'm fully on board for the sequel

SP earned in battle goes towards learning the next skill in whichever skill group is currently active. Once a skill is learned that character will always have it, switching to diligence won't turn off the skills under spirit, it just changes where your points are going.

There's also a stat bonus associated with each skill group that does depend on which is currently active, but that's less important while you're still levelling than learning new skills is.

Skill links allow a character to gain the effects of other characters' skills. You can't link just anything you want, each character has a number of slots for skills from each other character, and the shape of a skill icon must match the shape of the slot. More slots are unlocked as the affinity between those characters rises.

Linking skills costs affinity coins. These are not gone forever when you link a skill, they're refunded when you unlink, so don't be afraid to experiment. Characters gain an affinity coin when they level up, and also everyone gets one when you kill a unique monster. You can't kill the same unique monster multiple times for coins though, it's only the first time you kill it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

For the record, there are 157 uniques in the game. If I've counted right, 12 of them are spawned by quests so you won't see them if you (understandably) ignore questing, and 33 of them have their areas locked out if you proceed too far in the plot. But that still leaves 112 that you can always kill no matter what (assuming, of course, that you can actually kill them).

If you end the game around level 80 like most people do, and don't want to fight anything level 85+, that leaves out another 23, giving you a final worst-case total of 89 coins from uniques (if you do no questing, miss everything missable, don't fight anything 85+, but are willing to kill the rest).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are there any quests that are required to unlock things besides said uniques, like gameplay mechanics? It's been a while and I've forgotten.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Vil posted:

For the record, there are 157 uniques in the game. If I've counted right, 12 of them are spawned by quests so you won't see them if you (understandably) ignore questing, and 33 of them have their areas locked out if you proceed too far in the plot. But that still leaves 112 that you can always kill no matter what (assuming, of course, that you can actually kill them).

If you end the game around level 80 like most people do, and don't want to fight anything level 85+, that leaves out another 23, giving you a final worst-case total of 89 coins from uniques (if you do no questing, miss everything missable, don't fight anything 85+, but are willing to kill the rest).

If you're ridiculously OCD about it, you can also re-earn any affinity coins you get from killing uniques in NG+, meaning you can max them out at 999 in a bit under 6 playthroughs, but even with that amount, you're still not able to freely choose your skill linkups considering the most expensive combinations cost somewhere around 1250 coins to equip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Ciaphas posted:

Are there any quests that are required to unlock things besides said uniques, like gameplay mechanics? It's been a while and I've forgotten.
There are a few quests to unlock Monado arts, and everyone has 2 quest chains to unlock their extra skill trees.

• Locked thread