Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Theres some panels these idiops are attending, I hope they are streamed and/or televised.

http://floridasupercon2014.sched.org

First thing is on friday about 4:30 florida time. The second, the meat and potatoes and end all be all of Q&A is at 7:00pm, friday also.

Have no idea about if they are streamed or recorded. I hope they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hey ToGmeisters, what are your plans for integrating your game into the various systems of gewgaws and gimcracks that Steam's system lets you dole out? Trading cards and such. Will there be a :chaosdunk: emoticon?

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
We absolutely want the shittiest cheevos and cards. 100% worst on Steam.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
How do cards work? Can you have a card of Cyberdwarf breast feeding a baby?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Chef Boyardee posted:

There are individual cards for separate Bad Rats. So yes, I assume, but you'll have to do better than that to be the worst!

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think there's an upper limit of 15 cards per game but breastfeeding sounds like it'd fit within Steam's guidelines.

Here's the best existing card, "No Transparency". I feel you might appreciate it:

Ever had issues where your characters or any image files really, having some kind of colored border around them? Make sure to import them using the Resource Manager or edit them in an image program to give them transparency! And most important of all, don't replace your RTP files!

Is Barkley 2 on Greenlight already? You're gonna have to go through it unless Valve decommissions the thing. poo poo takes a while.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Valve is already discussing dismantling and revamping Greenlight. I can't remember the details or context of the conversation, but it turns out it has been generating a bunch of problems for the company. The joys of quasi-democratic market systems at work!

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The invisible hand truly is the greatest judge.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chef Boyardee posted:

As people play your game in Steam, you get card drops, usually enough to get about half. You can fence them for pocket change or buy them for the same. If you get the whole set, you can craft them, which destroys them but gives you an emoticon and a couple other random things. There may also be foil cards, which are rarer and give larger rewards for the same microtransaction-hoovering goal. I think you guys would get a fraction of these fractions, so if I buy the Cyberdwarf breastfeeding a rat card for $1, you'd get $0.05. (WOW) You also get a badge, like in City of Heroes, except that NCSoft won't buy you out... or will they?

I'm assuming at this point you're going to get on Steam because most of this other horrible shovelware gets in.

TimeServ
Nov 26, 2006
For cards here's what you should do: get a camera, pick some object, and take a ton of nearly identical shots for the card images. Make a single title and description for all of the cards but mix up text characters that are hard to identify from each other such as |, l, 1, I, O, 0 and other similar. Produce the maximum cards allowable (guessing it's 15/20 but I hope it's like 50 or more).

Everyone will love the adventure of trying to craft that Steam badge.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If I can't crash the game by repeatedly summoning and dismissing the steam overlay, I don't want to play it.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TimeServ posted:

For cards here's what you should do: get a camera, pick some object, and take a ton of nearly identical shots for the card images. Make a single title and description for all of the cards but mix up text characters that are hard to identify from each other such as |, l, 1, I, O, 0 and other similar. Produce the maximum cards allowable (guessing it's 15/20 but I hope it's like 50 or more).

Everyone will love the adventure of trying to craft that Steam badge.
Enhanced Steam killed your joke in the crib.

Achievement suggestion: Complete the game without fulfilling the conditions for any other achievement.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Nessus posted:

You also get a badge, like in City of Heroes, except that NCSoft won't buy you out... or will they?
NCSoft won't buy us out... because we are about to buy them out!

NCSoft buyout kickstarter is right around the corner. Keep your eyes open and your wallet on standby. Actually nevermind, they have the worst library of games.

Supercon seems to be trudging along, I can't wait to see some footage of the ToG sludgelords making a fool of themselves.

As for the steam cards... I think the fabled "Baby Huey's Final Sacrifice" -card will become one of the most coveted cards on steam.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Discendo Vox posted:

Valve is already discussing dismantling and revamping Greenlight. I can't remember the details or context of the conversation, but it turns out it has been generating a bunch of problems for the company. The joys of quasi-democratic market systems at work!

Greenlight's still a thing for now and Valve's still putting them through in batches. You may as well put the game on Greenlight instead of just waiting for them to say, "Welp, Greenlight wasn't that great so we're shutting it down. Sit tight for its replacement!" (In the interim, Valve returns to its original 'beg to a brick wall' model; several galactic years pass.)

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 5, 2014

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yep. Get it in there while the getting's hot.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Oh! Don't forget the rewards players get for crafting badges - an emoticon and a profile background, both related to the game the badge is for. These are each randomly selected from a pool of several, each with a rarity (common, uncommon or rare), and they can be traded or sold like cards. What emoticons and profile backgrounds could Barkley 2 have?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 5, 2014

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
On the sick cheevo front you could always make a bunch of bizarre requirements. Or do like the Stanley Parable guy and keep changing what you need to arbitrary stuff.

Off topic but I don't get Greenlight. Is it supposed to be a cheaper/easier way for indie people to get their stuff on? I see a lot of games that you'd think would be able to just throw whatever the usual amount is to get listed.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Fooley posted:

On the sick cheevo front you could always make a bunch of bizarre requirements. Or do like the Stanley Parable guy and keep changing what you need to arbitrary stuff.

Off topic but I don't get Greenlight. Is it supposed to be a cheaper/easier way for indie people to get their stuff on? I see a lot of games that you'd think would be able to just throw whatever the usual amount is to get listed.

From what I hear it used to be pretty hard for a indie outfit without a publisher to get on steam (whether they need one or not). Greenlight was created to let the community decide if a game can get on steam or not. It's just that a major chunk of indie games are poo poo and the community will let pretty much anything in no matter how bad or unfinished if you promise enough stuff or say 'like minecraft/day z' a bunch.

Greenlight started out with a noble goal I guess but holy poo poo, just look at the approved titles

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=765&browsesort=pending&p=1

It's either anime,zombies, clones, ios app ports, or platformers. Now imagine a huge backlog of samey games no one wants clogging up steam and you pretty much have an idea what greenlight did.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 5, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

BiggerJ posted:

Oh! Don't forget the rewards players get for crafting badges - an emoticon and a profile background, both related to the game the badge is for. These are each randomly selected from a pool of several, each with a rarity (common, uncommon or rare), and they can be traded or sold like cards. What emoticons and profile backgrounds could Barkley 2 have?
:spaulding:
:chaosdunk:
:cyberdwarf:
:cdpillow:

And yeah you might want to tip your game in there if you don't need it to actually be done. I am sure it will get voted into entrance in a blaze of doom-murder.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

DrManiac posted:

From what I hear it used to be pretty hard for a indie outfit without a publisher to get on steam (whether they need one or not). Greenlight was created to let the community decide if a game can get on steam or not. It's just that a major chunk of indie games are poo poo and the community will let pretty much anything in no matter how bad or unfinished if you promise enough stuff or say 'like minecraft/day z' a bunch.

Greenlight started out with a noble goal I guess but holy poo poo, just look at the approved titles

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=765&browsesort=pending&p=1

It's either anime,zombies, clones, ios app ports, or platformers. Now imagine a huge backlog of samey games no one wants clogging up steam and you pretty much have an idea what greenlight did.

It looks fine, and not at all like what you described. I don't see what you think the problem is.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nessus posted:

And yeah you might want to tip your game in there if you don't need it to actually be done. I am sure it will get voted into entrance in a blaze of doom-murder.

an unfinished portal 2 mod made by a student in his spare time made greenlight, there's no way in hell this wouldn't

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
In order to get Greenlit, Barkley 2 must at least match the lofty standards set by this game, which might be difficult.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Freak Futanari posted:

In order to get Greenlit, Barkley 2 must at least match the lofty standards set by this game, which might be difficult.

Well considering the gender options are: male, female, dwarf, eunuch and other with multiple selections, I'm more concerned about how that game handles basketball.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Nessus posted:

I'd really like to see :smugx1: or :petreality: just because the events linked to those two are really funny. Are the steam emoticons those 16x16 non-animated garbage ones tho? I think I've seen a few in dota2 and they are these unintelligible piles of poo poo.

Personally don't much care for Greenlight because it already has this (well deserved) garbage stigma to it, although that is fitting for bakely2. It's right up there with the iconic gender bender dna turbo or whatever that greenlight poster boy game is called.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gortarius posted:

I'd really like to see :smugx1: or :petreality: just because the events linked to those two are really funny. Are the steam emoticons those 16x16 non-animated garbage ones tho? I think I've seen a few in dota2 and they are these unintelligible piles of poo poo.

Personally don't much care for Greenlight because it already has this (well deserved) garbage stigma to it, although that is fitting for bakely2. It's right up there with the iconic gender bender dna turbo or whatever that greenlight poster boy game is called.
I don't know if they're 16x16 exactly but they're real loving tiny yeah. But wouldn't an unintelligable pile of poo poo be perfect for Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

I don't know if they're 16x16 exactly but they're real loving tiny yeah. But wouldn't an unintelligable pile of poo poo be perfect for Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa?

Malformed image file that crashes the viewer.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I want :truckpump:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Midjack posted:

Malformed image file that crashes the viewer.

16x16 smiley face that is inexplicably 512MB.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Segmentation Fault posted:

Yeah this is probably the correct answer.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
:incangold:
:applebottoms:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Gortarius posted:

Are the steam emoticons those 16x16 non-animated garbage ones tho? I think I've seen a few in dota2 and they are these unintelligible piles of poo poo.

I just checked and the images seem to be 360x360... and display in chat as 18x18.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Smart design.

Seriously, who thought that up? Is there a way to see them big without manually opening the image file?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Smart design.

Seriously, who thought that up? Is there a way to see them big without manually opening the image file?
Click on them in your inventory.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Or hover over them in chat. It's pretty ridiculous how tiny they are.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

The game is looking absolutely amazing. Loving the art and the shooty bits. I'm wondering though, is Barkley 2 still going to have the "edutainment" value that ToG is committed to?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Segmentation Fault posted:

I would craft cards for this.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
The important thing is to make them emoticons people would actually conceivably use in a conversation. For example, Surgeon Simulator has thumbs up and down emoticons, and Killing Floor has one for money. Don't be like Dota 2 and just put character's heads as emoticon.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The important thing is to make them emoticons people would actually conceivably use in a conversation. For example, Surgeon Simulator has thumbs up and down emoticons, and Killing Floor has one for money. Don't be like Dota 2 and just put character's heads as emoticon.

I pity you if your average steam conversation doesn't include times that call for a picture of a gas pump then you should get better friends.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Port Royale has :weed:, which is selling for about $9. Shamelessly exploiting the steam user base is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Uh the dota emoticons do things (smile, laugh, cry, talk to the hand all the things Barkley 2 will make me feel.