Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The sambo guy showed me a trio of cool throws that were similar to o goshi, harai goshi and o soto gari, but you got the lift by kind of smashing your heel into the ground and I think what generated the lift was the act of your leg straightening. Sambo guys got any idea what these are called? I really like them.

Georgian hip throw?
http://www.ehow.com/video_2367366_do-georgia-combo-sambo-martial.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So I went to Ralph Gracies BJJ gym, gonna take my first class this Monday and probably sign up for a month. I am excited as gently caress. :allears:

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Heelhooks are really easy. You might as well just stick to ankle locks when you train, since pretty much any position you can finish an ankle lock you could do a heel hook.

Yup. I do toeholds or ankle locks because any time I have one of those it would've been easier to just heel hook. They're safer on my partners and give me more control. I like keeping my partners in training.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

That's the one, thanks. I needed the name so I can look up more details on them.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 6, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Heelhooks are really easy. You might as well just stick to ankle locks when you train, since pretty much any position you can finish an ankle lock you could do a heel hook.

I'm just a big baby when it comes to things that could gently caress up my already bad knees.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Any recommendations on a Gym Bag?

I need to carry on a given day, Shin Guards, Thai Pads, Focus Mits, Bag Gloves, Fingerless Gloves, and Street Clothes. My current Gym bags pretty just one large compartment, and its sorta annoying to have to dig through it for what I need unless I spend a few minutes organizing it.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

ElMaligno posted:

So I went to Ralph Gracies BJJ gym, gonna take my first class this Monday and probably sign up for a month. I am excited as gently caress. :allears:

I don't do BJJ though I plan on trying it out one day but the movement drills they do at the BJJ class at my gym are really fun and I occasionally do them. Kicks your body in all the right ways.

Remember to shower and tap out.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I disagree pretty strongly with this. The only way to get better at heel hooks is to do heel hooks against resisting opponents. While there are some positions where you can opt between heel hooks and ankle locks, there isn't true equivalency and finishing and control will be different. Also you can't learn escapes well unless people are willing to attack the leg in earnest. Modern leglock technique has developed a ton in the past few years and the leg attack game is as complicated as any modern guard.

A good way to train leg locks especially twisting knee locks is to first drill and understand the technique and defense then when you go live you do not torque it fully. You hold the lock on for 3 seconds without torque and then let up. You need to have good training partners you trust for this. Obviously I am not recommending this for white belts but you need to train heel hooks if you are a serious no gi competitor. At my academy in the advanced no gi class we allow any leg locks and train them live.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yuns posted:

I disagree pretty strongly with this. The only way to get better at heel hooks is to do heel hooks against resisting opponents. While there are some positions where you can opt between heel hooks and ankle locks, there isn't true equivalency and finishing and control will be different. Also you can't learn escapes well unless people are willing to attack the leg in earnest. Modern leglock technique has developed a ton in the past few years and the leg attack game is as complicated as any modern guard.

A good way to train leg locks especially twisting knee locks is to first drill and understand the technique and defense then when you go live you do not torque it fully. You hold the lock on for 3 seconds without torque and then let up. You need to have good training partners you trust for this. Obviously I am not recommending this for white belts but you need to train heel hooks if you are a serious no gi competitor. At my academy in the advanced no gi class we allow any leg locks and train them live.

Eh...I think we're coming from a closer place than you think. I'm definitely not saying you should learn how to perform and defend heel hooks, and keep them in mind when you train. I look at leglocks as establishing a control position. Once you've got control it's 90% over, and you can finish with a heelhook or an ankle lock. Yeah, you can't always do an ankle lock from the same side as an inverted heel hook, but as far as the mechanics of finishing go a heel hook is much easier than an ankle lock. The real tricky part is getting to know what to do with all the different configurations of your legs and theirs, and knowing when and when not to roll so you don't tear your knees apart.

When we train we do catch and release on heel hooks and then just try to actually finish with ankle locks or whatever. Nobody really ever 'finishes' a heel hook in sparring and we have no problem landing and winning with them in competitions, or defending them.

A really good leg attacking position is so dominant that the submission is practically an afterthought.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 7, 2014

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Reminds me of Illias' Eri-Seoi Nage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5nLpP_TUV8

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 7, 2014

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I am more in agreement with your clarified position. A few caveats however. Many people think they have leg lock control when they don't. If people don't train leg locks with some level of force, they may not realize how easily a skilled opponent can set up the defense and escape or finish a counterlock. It takes some time to learn when such a position is escapable and when it is lost. I don't regard heel hooks as easy. In many cases it's actually easier to finish a straight ankle lock. Even the basic mechanics of the finish have changed from the classic heel hook to the modern one in response to the defenses. So heel hooks take time and practice and should not be a hole in any no gi game.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I look at leglocks as establishing a control position.

I agree, and I think it's important to encourage people who are comfortable with heel hooks to use that ankle control for a 1leg x guard sweep, or to facilitate a pass (depending on if you're playing top or bottom).

To me, this is an example of the 'position before submission' rule: Strategically speaking, for the vast majority of the match it is better to progress your top position than to risk it over a sub attempt. For example, from front headlock it's better to spin to back instead of falling backwards with a guillotine, from mount it's better to make them turn over than to sit off to one side for an arm bar, and from ankle control it's better to work into a solid side control than to sit back for a leg lock.

Of course, in the last minute of the match you'll want to put everything you can into any sub you can find (especially if you're down on points), but for the most part it will be better to just keep incrementally improving your control. If you're in good position the subs will always manifest as the opponent struggles to escape. There's no need to risk your progress for them.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Yuns posted:

solid advice on heel hooks especially. Just take control with it hold it for three seconds and move on. They won't hurt themselves and you'd have more than enough time to finish it in competition. You're right in that not all ankle locks and heel hooks are the same. But generally, when you do a heelhook, you CAN do a toe hold, they are almost interchangeable (sometimes). They're pretty safe too, especially when just holding the position -if you hold a heelhook against a spazz, they might spazz the wrong way and ruin their own knee, with a toehold there's much less chance of that.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Sup

I stopped training Muay thai pretty much last year after fighting in Thailand cos of work, my home gym closing, lack of motivation, etc

Now I miss it so I'm starting again, gonna hit up Valhalla Muay Thai in Brisbane cos it's easy to get to from a train from the Northern Suburbs

Woo kicking stuff

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Leg attacks are suburban tactics. Just like opening your guard or wrestling. A true Jiu-jitsuiero has no regard for such things.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Trip report: Ralph Gracie Beginner BJJ class.

Good stuff:
- Pretty nice place, much bigger than the last gym I went to.
- We just did a warm-up and practiced a simple throw and submission (the armbar).
- Had a good atmosphere, its run like a martial arts gym but a lot more relaxed.

Bad stuff:
- Will probably have to stay at the beginner class for a couple of months before I can go to the all belts class. Which is fine with me, but I will talk to them at a later date about it.
- They rent out Gi, but I will not wear another used Gi. Yes mine was clean, but still. :stonk:
- Not a whole lot of guys my size in this class.

I will probably go back and train in there.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

I wouldn't take having to stay in the beginner class as a bad thing. A lot of the movements in BJJ can be deceptively simple so it may not be a bad thing to go over the basics until they really click.

Buy a cheap gi on bjjhq.com

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

This is more of a general working out problem but it happened a lot when I used to roll. Sometimes when I'm working out my stomach starts hurting a lot, like really bad acid reflux. I have to slow down and take it easy because it feels like if I keep pushing I'll vomit.

Has anyone else had this stomach acid problem? Would taking an antacid before working out be advisable? Is there something I can do/eat to prevent it? I haven't really been able to pin down what causes it. Seems 50/50 whether it will happen.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Clanpot Shake posted:

This is more of a general working out problem but it happened a lot when I used to roll. Sometimes when I'm working out my stomach starts hurting a lot, like really bad acid reflux. I have to slow down and take it easy because it feels like if I keep pushing I'll vomit.

Has anyone else had this stomach acid problem? Would taking an antacid before working out be advisable? Is there something I can do/eat to prevent it? I haven't really been able to pin down what causes it. Seems 50/50 whether it will happen.

Taking an antacid won't hurt you. You probably also need to drink more water.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Taking an antacid won't hurt you. You probably also need to drink more water.

I drink about 2 liters a day.

I take small sips during my workout, but I don't know if that's helpful or not.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Clanpot Shake posted:

I drink about 2 liters a day.

I take small sips during my workout, but I don't know if that's helpful or not.

Water in your guts is like the best antacid there is. Try drinking more during workouts.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Couple of page ago, someone recommended light weights while running are great for shoulders, I do aikido but I'm having shoulder trouble. I run often so should I just grab the weights and get to it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Rabhadh posted:

Couple of page ago, someone recommended light weights while running are great for shoulders, I do aikido but I'm having shoulder trouble. I run often so should I just grab the weights and get to it?

If you're having shoulder problems look into a shoulder rehab regimen or see a PT. Simply adding to the shoulder work you're doing isn't a good idea.

That discussion was more in terms of incorporating an upper-body movement into jogging in order to get a very intense cardio workout and maybe improve upper-body endurance a bit, the purpose isn't to improve shoulder strength or stability.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

If you don't have access, squat power and bench strength link strongly to punching acceleration. More data that backs up the need to do resistance training to improve punching speed/performance.

I hope my coach doesn't hear about this paper because hooooo he's been nagging me about weight training to bring power up.
Good to know science has put the numbers up for it.

semicolonsrock posted:

Also, I'm not sure that I want to spar - I'm just a little concerned about 1, brain damage, and 2, meeting clients with, like, a giant black eye, 3, I feel pretty bad when I end up hurting people, which did happen once when someone just blocked very badly and got mildly concussed. I've done it twice now, and while I actually enjoyed it even though it was mostly just getting beat up, I'm not sure about continuing. Are there people in the thread who have done boxing without sparring?

There're limits to how far you can improve your fighting skills without sparring. That said, you can still develop great mechanics and fitness by doing classes and a lot of mittwork. You might have to pay extra to get the 1-on-1 mittwork time if you get serious, though.

I know this one girl at the gym who looks like a monster on the bag and shadowboxing, but just makes awful rookie mistakes when sparring. I was surprised when I heard she'd done two amateur fights. But if you don't care for sparring or competing, that kind of gap is perfectly fine to have.

I have extremely high risk of retinal detachment, and I already have some floaters from sparring. There was a phase where I strongly thought about just kickboxing training for fitness and no more sparring. I opted to keep sparring, but it's completely legit to choose to train how you want. Maybe some boxing gyms will be more old school and not receptive to that, but you should be able to find a gym to support your needs.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you're having shoulder problems look into a shoulder rehab regimen or see a PT. Simply adding to the shoulder work you're doing isn't a good idea.

We did a horrible, unprofessional human test starting from about three months ago. There is this really entuhstiastic boxer with weak shoulders, who had a list of weight exercise she could do if she wasn't having current shoulder pains to strengthen them (which usually wasn't the case), and some technique issues especially with hooks she identified herself. So we did a few sessions of mittwork trying to get her to punch with the proper form (like delivering most hooks with a horizontal arm, instead of the elbow going every witch way, and not flaring elbows when punching straights) and then doing something very much like Starting Strength at the gym twice a week or so.

Lo and behold! She can train 4 days a week now, and the shoulder pains, which according to her last doctor ment that she was to stop training anything fun at once, are now gone.

kimbo305 posted:

I know this one girl at the gym who looks like a monster on the bag and shadowboxing, but just makes awful rookie mistakes when sparring. I was surprised when I heard she'd done two amateur fights. But if you don't care for sparring or competing, that kind of gap is perfectly fine to have.

We have this same girl too. She has the most awesome form ever, I think our super critical, semi-ancient gray haired French-Algerian kickboxer said the best he has ever seen at that house, but she just couldn't work out sparring or fighting.

If I pair train with her using my gloves as mitts she'll deliver ultra-fast combinations, hard, never missing a beat much less getting tired, but if it's even themed sparring where everything isn't planned ahead she'll somehow choke and quit reacting and becomes very tentative. It's not even that she's afraid of getting hurt, because she obviously isn't. IIRC they even tried a series of PT sessions with our former competition kickboxers (now coaches) but nothing helped her with these issues.

It's just not for everyone. But doesn't hurt to try?

We also have some guys with, say, limb or eye damage (= me) issues who are by no means forced into sparring. If they feel they can handle the consequences, put on a helmet, and go at it sure, but if you are at a nice club they won't force the issue and it's 100% ok to say "no thanks" IMO.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ligur posted:

We did a horrible, unprofessional human test starting from about three months ago. There is this really entuhstiastic boxer with weak shoulders, who had a list of weight exercise she could do if she wasn't having current shoulder pains to strengthen them (which usually wasn't the case), and some technique issues especially with hooks she identified herself. So we did a few sessions of mittwork trying to get her to punch with the proper form (like delivering most hooks with a horizontal arm, instead of the elbow going every witch way, and not flaring elbows when punching straights) and then doing something very much like Starting Strength at the gym twice a week or so.

Lo and behold! She can train 4 days a week now, and the shoulder pains, which according to her last doctor ment that she was to stop training anything fun at once, are now gone.

Yeah, shoulder issues can come from strain due to not having enough muscle development there to give you sufficient stability, or due to muscle imbalances, but it could also be a torn labrum or something. It's best to see a PT and let them tell you how to best proceed.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, shoulder issues can come from strain due to not having enough muscle development there to give you sufficient stability, or due to muscle imbalances, but it could also be a torn labrum or something. It's best to see a PT and let them tell you how to best proceed.

Indeed, we also have one former American footballer who did a shitton of strength training back then, and then serious boxing for 5+ years whose shoulders were so hosed up at that point he quit throwing hooks completely. Something about the hunched boxer stance and really giving them hell when younger.

But after resting them for 4+ months, and going through therapy meanwhile it seems to be ok again.

Thanks, professional and paid PT who gave this advice and told what can be done and what cannot be done.

edit: and never listen to the first doctor who isn't a fan of your sport and not a sports PT, you can try stuff first and if it doesn't work, reconsider. Is what I say. But then again, I don't know poo poo.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 8, 2014

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Clanpot Shake posted:

Seriously see a doctor rather than self treating it. I dealt with stomach pain for years assuming it was heartburn until it became unbearable. It turned out to be gallstones and one operation fixed the issue entirely.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

Just see a doctor. I have acid reflux disease and once I found a good medicine after trying a few the problem was 100% fixed, while before I had to deal with throwing up left and right and dealing with very severe pain. By time that will seriously wear you out to the bone, both physically and mentally, so stomach issues are no joke. even if you can deal and hulk it out right now, it will be a very different story when you have to deal with that poo poo for longer periods of time. See a doctor.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

Sup

I stopped training Muay thai pretty much last year after fighting in Thailand cos of work, my home gym closing, lack of motivation, etc

Now I miss it so I'm starting again, gonna hit up Valhalla Muay Thai in Brisbane cos it's easy to get to from a train from the Northern Suburbs

Woo kicking stuff

I've never heard anything about that place, I'd be interested in a review once you've been there a few weeks

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How good conditioning running is for grappling? I discovered that I'm a horrible runner even though I'm a decent grappler. Strikers run all the, should grapplers do it too, at least a little?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

How good conditioning running is for grappling? I discovered that I'm a horrible runner even though I'm a decent grappler. Strikers run all the, should grapplers do it too, at least a little?

It's good. Go run.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Running is good conditioning but it does matter how you run. Doing sprints gives a very different workout from running long distance. It's all good though.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I hate general running and it hurts my knees. I went with hill sprints in a field, they are seriously awesome for leg strength and conditioning.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

General Emergency posted:

Running is good conditioning but it does matter how you run. Doing sprints gives a very different workout from running long distance. It's all good though.

In the running thread I was told that jogging at an easy place plus sprinting short distances frequently is a good way to increase my score in the 12 minute running test. I think that would be good for grappling too and I ran like that 5k yesterday and it was actually quite enjoyable.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I like running. Everybody at my gym is absurdly fit and I always feel like a fat nerd, but when I step out into the real world and run races with thousands of people I tear through them like a god striding among mortals. Obstacle races are a bunch of fun though they're kind of expensive.

Jogging 5-10k at a slow pace will have a benefit to your grappling cardio but it'll be kind of tangential. It'll help a bit, but not a ton. Jogging slowly with short bursts of sprinting is be a bit more helpful to grappling. Once you're running more than 10k you're probably not really helping your grappling at all. I only do it in the lead up to tough mudders so I can dominate motherfuckers, y'know.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
gently caress running.

Don't forget to run.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I never run, I hate it, and just recovered from a flu. So we're walking towards home with some woman who is on a bicycle, and she's like, I'll slow down so you don't have to walk fast. I'm like it's no problem I can probably run along, just hit it girl, and off we went for the rest of the way -> I should buy some running shoes or something.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

... but when I step out into the real world and run races with thousands of people I tear through them like a god striding among mortals. Obstacle races are a bunch of fun though they're kind of expensive.

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I like running. Everybody at my gym is absurdly fit and I always feel like a fat nerd, but when I step out into the real world and run races with thousands of people I tear through them like a god striding among mortals. Obstacle races are a bunch of fun though they're kind of expensive.

Hah that's me too, I'm a regular guy with a bit of a beer belly but when I run it's cross country and I'm sprinting up every hill I can see. When I 5k with gym rat friends who mostly treadmill or jog around the street my legs are like pistons steaming me off into the sun set, they just can't keep up.

• Locked thread