Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MastG
May 25, 2014

facebook jihad posted:

There are probably a million fanfics that explore that if you're interested, my 12 year old self can attest.

My 12 year old self was so bad

To be fair, if he wanted fanfic he'd watch GT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I've read fanfics that were legitimately more entertaining than Dragonball GT.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I am watching Cooler's Revenge right now. Holy gently caress is the soundtrack bad.

It was only four and five that had the hard rock soundtracks, right?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In the dub? Broly's movie has a Pantera song in it but I can't remember the rest.

If you like Pantera I guess it was an okay song. I'm a Pantera fan but it wasn't one of my favorites.
http://youtu.be/hXBrmlcADJA?t=1m30s

(Calm down Ed! Nobody is gonna call you pipsqueak anymore!)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Captain Quack posted:

The only battle worth fighting is a rap battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jtQ1r_CdS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKTw50Uf8M&hd=1

still the best

MastG
May 25, 2014
Galo Sengen will always have a special place in my heart.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

yeah
galo sengen

There are few things better than watching someone's reaction to that for the first time. :allears:

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
Should I even watch the last 3 seasons of DBZ? I plan to stop after the Cell games because that's when Toriyama wanted to end the series. I remember the Buu saga in high school when it came out on CN in 2000 something. There was a pink baby monster who's trademark was eating candy and cupcakes. I don't think I could stand to listen to his high-pitch squealing baby voice. Stuff like that makes me sick. I want to end on a high note on so far, all 6 seasons have been a lot of fun.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Buu saga is awesome; it's just a return to the more comedic nature of Dragon Ball as opposed to super serious fighting stuff, and a lot of it is just self referential making fun of itself.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

crikster posted:

Should I even watch the last 3 seasons of DBZ? I plan to stop after the Cell games because that's when Toriyama wanted to end the series. I remember the Buu saga in high school when it came out on CN in 2000 something. There was a pink baby monster who's trademark was eating candy and cupcakes. I don't think I could stand to listen to his high-pitch squealing baby voice. Stuff like that makes me sick. I want to end on a high note on so far, all 6 seasons have been a lot of fun.

Complete the series. See the real ending.

Also, am I honestly the only one who's completely horrified of being turned into candy? Like, that's seriously hosed up. And the really screwed up part is when Vegito gets turned into a gumball, then still fights back, which implies everyone who's turned into candy is still concious of their surroundings. That means Chichi was still alive and aware of what was going on when she was turned into an egg and crushed. Hell, there's one scene where Buu meets a blind kid in the mountains, and agrees to get the kid some groceries, which he does by going to town, turning a bunch of people into milk, eggs and bread, and then giving them to the blind kid. I honestly think that's probably the most hosed up thing DBZ has ever done. Am I alone in thinking this?

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
It makes me think of a little child's show, like Muppet Babies when I hear that fat baby monster. But the most hosed thing I remember was when that woman in the serpent castle on Snake Way killed herself when she was trying to get Goku to play Russian Roulette. That was legitimately shocking.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

crikster posted:

It makes me think of a little child's show, like Muppet Babies when I hear that fat baby monster. But the most hosed thing I remember was when that woman in the serpent castle on Snake Way killed herself when she was trying to get Goku to play Russian Roulette. That was legitimately shocking.

You are watching a children's show.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Also, am I honestly the only one who's completely horrified of being turned into candy? Like, that's seriously hosed up. And the really screwed up part is when Vegito gets turned into a gumball, then still fights back, which implies everyone who's turned into candy is still concious of their surroundings. That means Chichi was still alive and aware of what was going on when she was turned into an egg and crushed. Hell, there's one scene where Buu meets a blind kid in the mountains, and agrees to get the kid some groceries, which he does by going to town, turning a bunch of people into milk, eggs and bread, and then giving them to the blind kid. I honestly think that's probably the most hosed up thing DBZ has ever done. Am I alone in thinking this?

Vegito could also talk and no one else did. I'd say it was just because he was the strongest candy in the world, his power could overcome Buu's spell or whatever.

crikster posted:

It's kinda Loony Toonish.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Also, while Toriyama might wanted the series to end, it's not like Cell was supposed to be the final villain from the get go.

C19 and C20, aka Dr. Gero and the fat clown were supposed to be the villains for the entire arc and Toriyama only changed it when his editor complained that those were not intimidating enough. And even then, their replacements were C17 and C18, and those got sot down for being too mundane. and even after he came up with Cell, he still had to change his appearance twice. So, that Cell ended up the way he did is in typical Toriyama fashion almost an accident. I also don't think it's anymore a natural ending then post Freeza or the actual ending are. That might be because I think Cell ended up pretty boring in the end, though.

Plus, for all it's comedic overtones, Buu is actually the villain who manages to kill every single human being on earth.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 6, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Are we doing the "Toriyama wanted to end the series at Piccolo/Freeza/Cell/anywhere else but where it actually ended" thing again?

Buu saga is great, though if you're really so against the concept just read the manga.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The Buu Saga is actually kinda dark if you take a second to think about what's going on, it's just not nearly as serious as the Cell Saga for the most part.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

BlitzBlast posted:

Are we doing the "Toriyama wanted to end the series at Piccolo/Freeza/Cell/anywhere else but where it actually ended" thing again?

Buu saga is great, though if you're really so against the concept just read the manga.

If we are it bears repeating: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/

Toriyama was never really "forced" into continuing Dragon Ball at any significant point. He was having way too much fun, making way too much money, and the series as a whole was simply extraordinarily popular.

Also Buu Saga has more Mr. Satan, therefore it is one of the best parts in the series. :colbert:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

crikster posted:

You should've just stopped after Pilaf cus thats were the first planned ending was!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah the whole DBZ ending was planned is dumb. There is no concrete evidence. I may not like the Buu saga as much as the others but I don't think it's the worse to the point I would avoid it (Thats GT :v: ). I mean my main beef with it was how much they hosed up with Gohan and made him the strongest and he doesn't amount to poo poo.

HOWEVER, there is alot of good things about the Buu saga.

- Great Saiyaman. Yeah it might be filler, but goddman did I enjoy how goofy it was.
- Mr. Satan having more appearances. He's just goddamn great. At first I though he was just a cocky prick but he is basically represents how humans would perceive Goku, so yeah can't blame the whole IT'S A TRICK.
- Goku v.s. Vegeta. - Come on, like nobody wanted to see this rematch. It was great, I mean they were pretty much completely equal. Granted Goku basically admits later he had SS3 and was holding back and it diminishes the fight a little but goddamn it was a great fight.
- Vegeta's sacrifice. I really liked it. Probably what gets me is when he asks Piccolo if he will able to see Kakarot in the afterlife, and I do like this part where even if he did something good, it wouldn't make up for all the terrible things he did so he's still going to hell. And yet he still goes on with self destructing. Also him basically being ash/stone and then crashing to the ground and being swept away by the wind was chilling.
- The Fusion dance - I love the DB humor and the fact the potential to be one of the strongest fighters is having to do a dance in sync. Godamn you Akira Toriyama. :allears:

Regardless, finish the series. I mean it ends on a good note. It wraps it up nicely.

Until goddamn GT.

Goddamn piece of poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shindragon posted:

Regardless, finish the series. I mean it ends on a good note. It wraps it up nicely.

Until goddamn GT.

Goddamn piece of poo poo.

I think that's what GT stands for. Goddamn piece of shiT.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Gohan basically got punked because everyone wanted to see Goku and Vegeta fuse the moment the concept was introduced. It's a shame, but Vegito/Vegerot/whoever was really awesome.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
He was very awesome. He's pretty much the answer to what would happen if Goku was smart as vegeta and vegeta was strong as goku.

Answer? Smug rear end bastard but he wrecked poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Vegito: a combination of Vegeta's dickery and Goku's childishness. The smuggest motherfucker in the world.

I'd watch a series about Vegito not actually splitting up and the aftermath as everyone copes with it.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'd watch a series about Vegito not actually splitting up and the aftermath as everyone copes with it.

There's a universe in that Multiverse fancomic just like that.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Petiso posted:

There's a universe in that Multiverse fancomic just like that.

Well I know that, but I'd like to see how Toriyama would do it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BlitzBlast posted:

Gohan basically got punked because everyone wanted to see Goku and Vegeta fuse the moment the concept was introduced. It's a shame, but Vegito/Vegerot/whoever was really awesome.

It might be different if you started with DBZ, but I know that I, having watched DB three or four times before they started airing DBZ, always hated Gohan and I loved it when Goku came back. I have since warmed up to him, mostly because the Great Sayanman arc is amazing, but I still hate his dumb rage bonus.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

e X posted:

It might be different if you started with DBZ, but I know that I, having watched DB three or four times before they started airing DBZ, always hated Gohan and I loved it when Goku came back. I have since warmed up to him, mostly because the Great Sayanman arc is amazing, but I still hate his dumb rage bonus.

I disagree, I liked how when the curious, kind kid completely lost his poo poo he could basically go with any opponent.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

e X posted:

It's a lazy deus ex machina but it rarely determined a fight and certainly better than "Goku is the best now because he has to be".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

VanSandman posted:

I disagree, I liked how when the curious, kind kid completely lost his poo poo he could basically go with any opponent.

It's one of those examples of things going terribly right. Both Goku and Cell wanted Gohan to be as strong as possible and took him to that level, and when it happened it was a big "poo poo, maybe this was a really bad idea" moment.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Gohan's anger really only factored into two fights, Raditz and Perfect Cell. The rest of the time it was a little quirk of Gohan's personality. DBZ Abridged portrayal of that was amusing with Frezia going "Huh, that happened" and "Oh no,the invincible Lord Frezia defeated by a mere child?" after attacks that ultimately didn't matter.

I think it would have been an interesting DBZ Multiverse Universes that had a Gohan who enjoyed fighting and was the strongest in that universe without his Kaioshin powerup. Probably better than the I'K'L universe (with the fighter that wasn't born yet), or all of the dropping nameks and Sayians from the weak universe.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

Beef Waifu posted:

You are watching a children's show.

It's the voice, the candy, and the character design that would appeal more to a 2 year old compared to the rest of the series which may be 7yo and up. Listening to Gohan is hard enough although you get used to it. But with Buu, he's like that baby dinosaur on that old dinosaur puppet show on Fox in the mid 90s, "I'mmm the babbbbbbyyyy!!!" It's too cringe inducing to enjoy. I had the same reaction to the fat baby android that accompanied Dr Gero. I wanted to flip off the tv in disgust. I don't like babies! Other than that, my only other complaint was Garlic Jr. He was for sure the worst villain, terrible Emperor Pilaf rip-off.
Thanks though I'll be sure to watch the rest someday but a DBZ marathon starts to be a drag and it's so long I just want it all to be over.

crikster fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 6, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

crikster posted:

I don't like babies!

You're a monster.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I'm going to give you some spoilers that you may or may not be aware of: that form of Buu doesn't stick around for the entire saga.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

crikster posted:

It's the voice, the candy, and the character design that would appeal more to a 2 year old compared to the rest of the series which may be 7yo and up. Listening to Gohan is hard enough although you get used to it. But with Buu, he's like that baby dinosaur on that old dinosaur puppet show on Fox in the mid 90s, "I'mmm the babbbbbbyyyy!!!" It's too cringe inducing to enjoy. I had the same reaction to the fat baby android that accompanied Dr Gero. I wanted to flip off the tv in disgust. I don't like babies! Other than that, my only other complaint was Garlic Jr. He was for sure the worst villain, terrible Emperor Pilaf rip-off.
Thanks though I'll be sure to watch the rest someday but a DBZ marathon starts to be a drag and it's so long I just want it all to be over.

Watch the Japanese version then. He sounds like a Muppet until he gets pissed off. You also get a bonus with "eerie old man" voiced Babadi, and super gay Dabura.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Rudoku posted:

Watch the Japanese version then.

Don't even joke

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I watched something that said Cell had the same voice throughout his transformations in the Japanese version? What's his voice sound like? I have a hard time thinking of perfect Cell with a raspy insect voice.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

It's Norio Wakamoto.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
If you dont' know who that is, picture a big hammy villain.

That's pretty much Norio for you. And he's loving awesome.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

facebook jihad posted:

I watched something that said Cell had the same voice throughout his transformations in the Japanese version? What's his voice sound like? I have a hard time thinking of perfect Cell with a raspy insect voice.

As the others have said, it's Norio doing the same performance for each form. As I recall, he doesn't sound TOO different from our Perfect Cell (only hammier, of course), so you've actually got the opposite weird scenario where Basic Cell sounds smooth and sophisticated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Just listen to that goddamn hammy rear end cell voice. :allears:

• Locked thread