Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of Crown laws, where do people like to keep them? I've been running with Medium Crown Authority as it seems you get most of the benefits from having that, and the vassal opinion penalty is manageable.

Anyone who's not Lowborn AFAIK.

Medium crown authority is the best long term crown law. High can sometimes be useful to switch to primogeniture or to prevent somebody inheriting a significant chunk of your realm though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I can't seem to pick who gets to educate my children, I thought that was a thing in this game.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I can't seem to pick who gets to educate my children, I thought that was a thing in this game.

Are you a Muslim?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Parallax Scroll posted:

What the heck is a great house, anyway? It's an option on the person finder but that's basically all I know about it.

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone who's not Lowborn AFAIK.

It's actually lowborn people AND anyone from a dynasty without land. Although this means you can still have illegitimate bastards who got a new dynasty and are the heir to some territory show up in the list, but it's so rare that it's a non-issue

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

What if you own a barony but one of your vassals owns the county it's in? Does he take a cut of the taxes from it?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Parallax Scroll posted:

What if you own a barony but one of your vassals owns the county it's in? Does he take a cut of the taxes from it?

Nope. You only get a cut of taxes from direct vassals.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Doctor Reynolds posted:

They have to be at least 6 years old to start being educated, that tripped me up at first.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Parallax Scroll posted:

You get all the money but he'll be annoyed at you for holding some of his de jure territory

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Allyn posted:

You get all the money but he'll be annoyed at you for holding some of his de jure territory

Yeah, holding baronies in foreign realms is a really fantastic way to guarantee a war at some point in the future, which is why Venice 1066 can be a bit of a kick in the pants (Venice starts with its patricians holding two cities in Croatia, a DoW will come within the first 5 years). My preferred strategies are to either A) immediately surrender to avoid your trade posts losing profitability from sieges, or B) start as one of said patricians, take a loan from the Jews, and hire enough mercs to dent Croatia's army so the Doge can finish the job.

Bono Dandolo seems like a solid start if you can put up with a long-rear end wait to actually do anything. He's young enough at the start that with enough time, the fact that he's player controlled should guarantee him an election win, assuming he doesn't die unexpectedly. And, you're also part of the house that would produce Venice's most famous Doge, which is cool.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DStecks posted:

I'm almost 100% certain that you cannot do that. The game will not allow you to grant titles to characters with traits that make them infertile, even if they already have children.

You are almost 100% wrong, my friend. The game definitely allows you to grant titles to celibate characters. With or without children.

monster on a stick posted:

I don't think this works if the celibate character is a member of a great house, since they will still have an heir.

Yeah, it only works for lowborn celibate characters.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 6, 2014

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Playing the long game (aka pulling a Doran). I'm King of Ireland and I have my genius heir daughter matrilineally betrothed to the 4th in line for the French throne. Now to wait 12 years until they come of age and marry and then start offing everyone ahead of him.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but if I were to move my plans ahead and murder people ahead of my heir's betrothed before they were married, once he's 3rd or above in the line of succession, come marriage time, it would be broken wouldn't it since he'd be "important" at that point, right?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

McGavin posted:

You are almost 100% wrong, my friend. The game definitely allows you to grant titles to celibate characters. With or without children.

Just checked the files, you appear to be right. You can't grant titles to castrated characters (or any trait which carries the line "cannot_inherit = yes"), and I guess I conflated that with celibate.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is it ever possible for a Celibate character to renounce their celebacy? Unlike castration it is an ongoing voluntary decision. Kind of weird if no one ever slips up.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Is it ever possible for a Celibate character to renounce their celebacy? Unlike castration it is an ongoing voluntary decision. Kind of weird if no one ever slips up.

It's not as big a fertility hit as castration is, so I think there's still a (very slight) chance that a celibate character can have a kid, but I can't say for sure.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DStecks posted:

It's not as big a fertility hit as castration is, so I think there's still a (very slight) chance that a celibate character can have a kid, but I can't say for sure.

Are you confusing celibate and chaste? I thought celibate had a -1000% fertility modifier or some such.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

What's the difference between holy war and great holy war? I'm playing as reformed norse.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Parallax Scroll posted:

What's the difference between holy war and great holy war? I'm playing as reformed norse.

Holy war is typical invasion style CB. Great Holy War is the pagan equivalent of a Crusade/Jihad

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
What exactly causes an AI vassal to contribute to an independence plot? This duke has been the leader of every single overthrow attempt so far in my kingdom despite having an 89 opinion of me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Brotato Broth posted:

What exactly causes an AI vassal to contribute to an independence plot? This duke has been the leader of every single overthrow attempt so far in my kingdom despite having an 89 opinion of me.

Distance is one contributer. Distant vassals don't respect your right to rule, even if they like you.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Holy war is typical invasion style CB. Great Holy War is the pagan equivalent of a Crusade/Jihad

What are the conditions for being able to declare a great holy war? I took the kingdom of Greece with one with my previous character, but haven't seen it as an option since.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Parallax Scroll posted:

What are the conditions for being able to declare a great holy war? I took the kingdom of Greece with one with my previous character, but haven't seen it as an option since.

A major difference is that a holy war targets a duchy. A great holy war targets an entire kingdom. A Fylkir only gets one great holy war in his life. That's why you can't declare another. You'll be able to with your next Fylkir. Otherwise, I don't know if it's still this way, but in the past you couldn't holy war other pagan religions. I think they mean to change that.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A major difference is that a holy war targets a duchy. A great holy war targets an entire kingdom. A Fylkir only gets one great holy war in his life. That's why you can't declare another. You'll be able to with your next Fylkir. Otherwise, I don't know if it's still this way, but in the past you couldn't holy war other pagan religions. I think they mean to change that.

GHW's also need Jihads or Crusades to unlock first.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I'm still not sure why I can't declare a GHW with my new character, but I'll play it out.

How do you summon vassal levies in a specific county? I can see "raise levy" in the right-click menu for holdings, but usually it's grayed out.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
You can summon vassal levies by using the provincial "raise levies" button, it's the one in the middle.

You might have another cooldown or something on your great holy wars, I want to say you can only declare one on a character, so if you're trying to attack the byzantines for anatolia or something it won't work until the emperor dies (assuming it's the same one you nabbed greece from)

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Parallax Scroll posted:

I'm still not sure why I can't declare a GHW with my new character, but I'll play it out.

How do you summon vassal levies in a specific county? I can see "raise levy" in the right-click menu for holdings, but usually it's grayed out.

There is also a cooldown on them even if you're on a new character. 100 years? I think.

And a question of my own, what kingdoms still have special creation requirements? I know Jerusalem still requires being christian but are there any others with a religion requirement?
I'm playing as norse, nearing the requirements to create the roman empire and waiting to reform until after because I'd lose the Fylkirate by going orthodox. Going to create Jerusalem at the same time but wondering if there are other kingdoms out there that are going to screw up my plans.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

You can summon vassal levies by using the provincial "raise levies" button, it's the one in the middle.

Found it, thanks.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TheBlackRoija posted:

And a question of my own, what kingdoms still have special creation requirements?

The only ones I can think of are Leon and HRE.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Pierson posted:

What advantage is there with hoarding all my King-level titles vs handing them out to relatives/really trusted dudes? There doesn't appear to be a penalty for having more than two like their is for duchies.

Ha! That explains why the AI always tanks my empires. I like to turn on observe and go to sleep when I'm done for the night to see what the map looks like the next day and invariably my empire has turned into a hilarious mess of it's various kingdoms, usually all over the loving place. I guess the AI emperor creates every king level title he can for the prestige hit and then hands them out to every cousin who compliments their robe or whatever.

Parallax Scroll posted:

I'm somewhat convinced GHW is ONLY on a timer. I've definitely called two GHWs with one (absurdly long lived) character before, and I'm not sure I've ever been able to call a GHW right after succession, which would be true if it were one-per-lifetime.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can I get away with playing pagan gavelkind, only going with concubines and putting them aside when I have my first son to avoid my holdings splitting up?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

Can I get away with playing pagan gavelkind, only going with concubines and putting them aside when I have my first son to avoid my holdings splitting up?

Interesting idea, but since half your wife's stats get added to yours, you'd be playing with a significant handicap.

Edit: though you could just marry a really old person (+40), so that might actually work.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

SynthOrange posted:

The game will try to gently caress you over by having that one son fall in love/run off as soon as he's grown up. Also the dude could die and then you're sorta hosed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Playing with Gavelkind really is not that hard. I need to fall asleep but I can write a detailed run-down of how to manage gavelkind as an unreformed pagan tomorrow if people want to see one. The only requirement is that you are continuously expanding, and if you are continuously expanding you should be able to reform your religion eventually.

I built this empire on Gavelkind (still running Gavelkind when this screenshot was taken).

My personal demesne, passed down to each primary heir, was the county of and a barony in Lithuania plus 5 other counties (the entire Duchy of Courland and entire Duchy of Samogitia). Eventually once my Legalism was higher I took the county of Sjaelland from Denmark to vomit even more cash into my treasury.

edit: also lookit dat fukken Georgia.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also I have no idea if this is a bug or not:

When you mouseover a country, where does your popup info window appear? Mine just hovers over the minimap, unless I'm mousing over an army then it just jumps back under my cursor. Doesnt seem right and is quite annoying.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Digital Osmosis posted:

I'm somewhat convinced GHW is ONLY on a timer. I've definitely called two GHWs with one (absurdly long lived) character before, and I'm not sure I've ever been able to call a GHW right after succession, which would be true if it were one-per-lifetime.

In vanilla it's one per religious head (or at least it currently is, I just checked the files). CK2+ has it on a very long timer (40-50 years IIRC, it's long enough that I actually reduced it to 30-35 on my own files).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Landsknecht posted:

The game will try to gently caress you over by having that one son fall in love/run off as soon as he's grown up. Also the dude could die and then you're sorta hosed.

Yeah there's a reason "heir and a spare" is a saying. Having only one son is very risky.

Tevye317
Feb 16, 2012
So I was looking through the history tab of the kingdom of Rus admiring all the dumb ways my characters had died. I came on one with a red skull. When I clicked on the red skull I got a crash to desktop. I thought this was fixed at some point. If it helps i'm on version 2.1.6 not using any betas.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Tsyni posted:

Interesting idea, but since half your wife's stats get added to yours, you'd be playing with a significant handicap.

Edit: though you could just marry a really old person (+40), so that might actually work.

Never underestimate the game's desire to gently caress your best laid plans over: I had a 36 year old wife who I was convinced after 20 years of marriage was infertile, so I grabbed a bunch of concubines, set them aside once I had a son, and then my now 39 year old wife instantly became pregnant and had a second son. :argh: My spinster sister of 41 years of age also had a bastard daughter.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 6, 2014

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
While the AI won't marry women over 40 and pregnancy from events is also stopped at 40 as well, women aren't actually infertile until 45.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

My heir keeps changing in March from my oldest daughter to my second oldest daughter for no discernible reason no matter how many times I reload. What's going on? I'm Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture with 5 living daughters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Chaotic Flame posted:

My heir keeps changing in March from my oldest daughter to my second oldest daughter for no discernible reason no matter how many times I reload. What's going on? I'm Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture with 5 living daughters.

Your second oldest daughter is probably giving birth to a son. Daughters with a son are prioritized over daughters without a son.

• Locked thread