Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

There are a lot of :words: going on here lately, but O&A themselves have covered this very phenomenon extensively themselves, so I'll try to explain this as concisely i can manage with as little personal opinion as I can:

SiriusXM doesn't have a choice. It is an acceptable advertising industry standard to pull advertising from any medium that some people declare to be offensive. SiriusXM has advertising across hundreds of other talk shows, many of which are network ads and play across a lot more than O&A. It is true that an advertiser can specifically not advertise on O&A, but the public can ignore this and continue to complain until they back down. They also can ignore any form of public apology or any form of damage control whatsoever and continue to protest. Therefore, the only way to stop massive losses in a situation like this is to immediately fire the controversial person.

It doesn't matter what you or I think about Anthony, it doesn't matter if his words were good or evil, it doesn't matter whether he is contrite or unapologetic, it doesn't even matter what the people who pay to listen to Opie and Anthony actually want to hear. What matters is that it upset people who can and would influence advertisers, and at that point they are judge, jury and executioner.

No, you can't change this phenomenon. It is a well-established business practice that is accepted by the industry, and has an overwhelming amount of precedent. Businesses that are protested by the public do not care about your favorite radio show, they care about not being perceived as monsters and losing uncertain amounts of profit as a result. Even a groundswell of public support for the object of one of these protests rarely has any effect, and in this particular case there's next to no chance of that level of backlash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

CrashCat posted:

SiriusXM doesn't have a choice.

Duck Dynasty.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
This whole situation is hilarious and loving with people who think Anthony is a victim is the funniest part. There are people on Twitter calling people fascist for not supporting Anthony's right to call a woman friend of the family without repercussions.

Such delicious tears of rage.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Might have to listen live tomorrow for the first time in like 5 years

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Apoplexy posted:

Maybe those animalistic friend of the family hordes who do nothing but chimp out and attack whites with full support and immunity to law enforcement? This situation is so loving amazing for helping people to reveal themselves as the worst loving pieces of poo poo in humanity. Nothing says ethics like dismissing racism and the effects of racists with power.

what power?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

4outof5 posted:

what power?

What power can you get being white, rich and a friend to the cops in America.

What power indeed.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tomahawk posted:

Duck Dynasty.

Makes soooooo much more money than O&A. Like the loss of pest subscriptions wouldn't offset the positive of freeing up three million dollars a year.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Might have to listen live tomorrow for the first time in like 5 years

If you believe the people on Reddit, no live show tomorrow (but they are having a staff meeting)

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Gonzo McFee posted:

What power indeed.

Yes if there is anything this episode has shown us it's how much power Anthony Cumia wields when he got beat up and laughed at on a public street or are you talking about when he was fired from his job? This story is certainly dripping with disgusting white privilege, plutocracy, and police corruption from every crack. I can see exactly what you mean.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Gonzo McFee posted:

What power indeed.

No, more like 'what power do you have as a host of a radio show with millions of satellite radio listeners, 4 hours a day, 5 days a week'

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

4outof5 posted:

Yes if there is anything this episode has shown us it's how much power Anthony Cumia wields when he got beat up and laughed at on a public street or are you talking about when he was fired from his job? This story is certainly dripping with disgusting white privilege, plutocracy, and police corruption from every crack. I can see exactly what you mean.

Why are you so bothered that a rich, huge racist was fired? He's made his horrible racist views known on the radio many times, why can't you enjoy a huge racist with millions of dollars losing his job for being a loving idiot.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

If you believe the people on Reddit, no live show tomorrow (but they are having a staff meeting)

That makes sense, I just want to know what's going to happen with the rest of the guys. I would listen to an all staff show like Sam's original aftershow or something, those guys are usually pretty funny and loose when the Talent leaves. gently caress Sam's interviews though.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
I stopped listening specifically because of Anthony and I can't even work up the amount of care that is in this thread. Punching out.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
From the 800 or so replies, mostly from people that never contributed to this thread, I read a good 300. Every time Anthony would go on these tirades, we were wondering if he was going to get fired or not. Is he a victim here? No. He isn't special, actually the fact that he was a non-entity let him fly under the radar for so long. Celebrities for a while were being kept hostage for sharing their opinions about gay marriage and what not. Anthony would go one hours long tirades that only the niggermania crowd would love. No one gave a poo poo.

This just got enough heat to finally fire him. Enough people complained, the tweets went viral just enough that Sirius pulled the plug. we shouldn't be surprised. Anthony thought he was untouchable but it was really the fact that they didn't care about him till now.

I say good. Why reward someone for being such a terrible human being. Anthony is funny as poo poo but his anger towards black people reach god drat crazy levels. His hate speech, his obsession got him fired. Maybe he will never change but hope that some self-reflection will get him to see that by being a piece of poo poo got him fired. Not because of was "innocently" taking a photo

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Call Me Charlie posted:

Makes soooooo much more money than O&A. Like the loss of pest subscriptions wouldn't offset the positive of freeing up three million dollars a year.

The best case scenario for this tomorrow is that the 20 loud "UGGGGH JEW MEDIA SUPRESSING THE TRUTH ABOUT SCHWOOGIES" redditor idiots gather outside of SiriusXM and a stolen city bus loses its' brakes and careens into the crowd.

D_I posted:

I stopped listening specifically because of Anthony and I can't even work up the amount of care that is in this thread. Punching out.

tee hee

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Opie just tweeted that he was meeting with SiriusXM on Tuesday. So I'm guessing no new episodes in the next few days.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

OPIE TWEETED HIS SUPPORT, SEE HE GETS IT

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

shyduck posted:

OPIE TWEETED HIS SUPPORT, SEE HE GETS IT

He was devastated, not supporting. The Opster is keeping his cards close to his chest till he gets a feel for how things will play out.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Anthony Cumia, Emperor of Ethiopia.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
https://www.change.org/petitions/siriusxm-satellite-radio-reinstate-anthony-cumia

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

quote:

Americans should be allowed to lead their personal lives how they see fit, without having to worry about repercussions from their employer.

Employee rights, what are the odds that this person is a Republican? :ironicat:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Apoplexy posted:

No, more like 'what power do you have as a host of a radio show with millions of satellite radio listeners, 4 hours a day, 5 days a week'

Listeners who specifically paid to listen to your show, and that only people who subscribe can listen to (unless you actively seek the show out on youtube). So, because he has a megaphone in an era where everyone has a megaphone, he's suddenly got "power"? Interesting.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Listeners who specifically paid to listen to your show, and that only people who subscribe can listen to (unless you actively seek the show out on youtube). So, because he has a megaphone in an era where everyone has a megaphone, he's suddenly got "power"? Interesting.

You can't be this dumb.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Gonzo McFee posted:

You can't be this dumb.

Yeah... about that...

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If Anthony Cumia had any real power, I think it'd have taken more than a twitter meltdown to take his job away.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

If Anthony Cumia had any real power, I think it'd have taken more than a twitter meltdown to take his job away.

You are so sheltered from the current social standard of acceptable public behavior it is staggering.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tomahawk posted:

Duck Dynasty.
Probably not the same on the balance sheet. That show was an undebatable smash hit, with massive amounts of merchandizing. Given that success it's reasonable to assume that they had several advertisers waiting in the wings already to pick up after any clients that left. Also, advertisers value and understand TV better, so it's likely they would pull advertising on only that channel at most, unlike on SiriusXM where they would just pull off the entire platform.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Billy the Mountain posted:

You are so sheltered from the current social standard of acceptable public behavior it is staggering.

I rather doubt that--I do go on the Internet after all, where everyone is keen to remind you exactly what they think is acceptable at all times.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gonzo McFee posted:

You can't be this dumb.

What? Being 1 of 200 channels on an international platform with 25 million subscribers is basically screaming into the void.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

I do go on the Internet after all, where everyone is keen to remind you exactly what they think is acceptable at all times.

We wish you didn't

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

That makes sense, I just want to know what's going to happen with the rest of the guys. I would listen to an all staff show like Sam's original aftershow or something, those guys are usually pretty funny and loose when the Talent leaves. gently caress Sam's interviews though.

I've been liking Sam's Friday show with whookid.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Bill Burr once confronted Anthony about his racism on the air.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I don't understand how people still aren't getting this. If you're an entertainer employed by a media/entertainment company and suddenly become a massive PR liability, that company has the right and arguably the fiduciary duty to sever all ties with you before the advertisers they depend on for revenue head for the exits.

It isn't a speech or "wrong opinion" issue, it's a PR issue. Ant had free reign to spew the exact same poo poo on the air as long as it somehow didn't make him a PR liability. Apparently his twitter tirade got wider attention than the show normally does, it made him radioactive, and SiriusXM had to ditch him.

Ant is free to do his "Live from the Compound" shows with his racism dialed up to 100 as long as he can afford to do so. His free speech rights haven't been violated at all. It's completely up to SiriusXM as to whether or not Ant has access to their studio hardware and bandwidth, and they decided that he no longer does.

The exact same logic applies to the Donald Sterling, Paula Deen and Duck Dynasty fiascoes. What happened to Anthony is completely fair unless you think it's unfair that being a massive bigot in this day and age has negative consequences.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I don't understand how people still aren't getting this. If you're an entertainer employed by a media/entertainment company and suddenly become a massive PR liability, that company has the right and arguably the fiduciary duty to sever all ties with you before the advertisers they depend on for revenue head for the exits.

It isn't a speech or "wrong opinion" issue, it's a PR issue. Ant had free reign to spew the exact same poo poo on the air as long as it somehow didn't make him a PR liability. Apparently his twitter tirade got wider attention than the show normally does, it made him radioactive, and SiriusXM had to ditch him.

Ant is free to do his "Live from the Compound" shows with his racism dialed up to 100 as long as he can afford to do so. His free speech rights haven't been violated at all. It's completely up to SiriusXM as to whether or not Ant has access to their studio hardware and bandwidth, and they decided that he no longer does.

The exact same logic applies to the Donald Sterling, Paula Deen and Duck Dynasty fiascoes. What happened to Anthony is completely fair unless you think it's unfair that being a massive bigot in this day and age has negative consequences.

the libertarian ideology dictates that you're entitled to do whatever you want with zero consequences ever. Big government isn't even their real issue its the fact that its not socially acceptable to be a dickhead in public.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Ant had free reign to spew the exact same poo poo on the air as long as it somehow didn't make him a PR liability. Apparently his twitter tirade got wider attention than the show normally does

It's kinda hilarious because Anthony would always talk about being careful with his words and being smart about the way he phrases stuff so the media couldn't get a soundbyte, only to go on Twitter and deliver perfect little nuggets to blow up his career with.

"You know what you're like? You're like me when I was into conspiracy theory and all I did was read poo poo that supported my opinion. I already had my mind made up and I was like 'see there you go'. And after awhile I realized I was a moron. But, for some reason Anthony, you never had that moment of clarity."

drat, what a truthbomb.

And how ironic that when Bill brings up the tea party people who allegedly called that one guy a friend of the family, Ant's response is 'maybe they did. who cares?' and 'alright you called him a name or something, na-nana-naa-nah, it's not like punching the guy.'

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 6, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

"You know what you're like? You're like me when I was into conspiracy theory and all I did was read poo poo that supported my opinion. I already had my mind made up and I was like 'see there you go'. And after awhile I realized I was a moron. But, for some reason Anthony, you never had that moment of clarity."

drat, what a truthbomb.

I always loved that clip. It's the only time I can recall anyone stood up against one of Ant's lovely rants without shying away from it entirely

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

I would listen to Opie & Bill.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I would listen to Bill and Joe Derosa :(

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

therealjon_ posted:

I would listen to Bill and Joe Derosa :(

Uninformed was the greatest spinoff show ever. Two grown men arguing about music for months, culminating in a drum battle.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Tippy Tom, comment? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3MAK07qhsA#t=6433

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin

Unsurprisingly Burr completely dismantles all arguments from Anthony.

• Locked thread