Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GURPS is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
GURPS does seem like a game you gotta prepare for, though. All those bits.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I really want to like GURPS but it just seems so loving fiddly.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mr. Maltose posted:

GURPS does seem like a game you gotta prepare for, though. All those bits.

Depends on how deep you want to go. Basic antagonists only need a couple skills and a few derived values.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I played GURPS once. It took me like four hours to understand the rules and put my character together. She had a companion character that I even spent points on, her little sister, and then I spent another two hours or so writing out her backstory.

The very first thing that happens is that everyone in a scene but our characters were killed, and when I brought up that that would include my companion character the DM says "I didn't know that thing that is explicitly stated in the backstory I told you to write and on your character sheet was true. Either she was there and is dead now or your backstory and thing you spent points on is invalidated." And then my character died to the first attack against her in the first combat anyway.

Man that guy was a dick, and also GURPS character creation is way too involved for how fragile your characters are

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't get why people like gurps

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Captain Foo posted:

Neon, bucnasti, cyphoderous, and gnoll know what is up. Whoever said that gnoll's position was pushing poo poo onto other people was being disingenuous as hell. Play games and make people understand that games are fun! When they run across shitheads, they'll react appropriately. And no, you don't get decide what that is. The gaming community you're a part of does.

Someone please direct me to where I can sign up to this part of the gaming community where my opinions on who a shithead is count, tia.

GURPS is weird, I can't say I had a bad time with it and bellcurves are cool, but my character creation was kind of hampered by the sprawling and obtuse skill list.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

GURPS character creation is way too involved for how fragile your characters are
By default (to the extent that there is a default) GURPS ranges from extremely dangerous (TL0 sticks and stones) to utterly lethal (TL8 guns and bombs). If you want characters that can take hits and keep truckin' then Dungeon Fantasy, Action and so on are what you want to look at depending on genre; if your GM is running something set in Contemporaryconflictistan then you want to buy body armour and try to avoid having a direct line of sight with hostile gunhavers.

It sounds like your GM was terrible and didn't give you any indication of what they were going to play, so you built a non-combat character and threw them into a warzone.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
One of the Worst Things in games is when weird fiddly rules fool you into thinking they're entirely reasonable rules. Then you're thinking you have a firm grasp on a ruleset, hypothetically, and let's say you've read some particular section on, oh, what's a good example, "The Matrix" a bunch of times, and it all seems reasonable.

Then (hypothetically), then, let's say that Matrix rules happened and then gently caress Technomancers why do you need so many goddamn rolls to do anything screw you oh man why does three seconds take so goddamn long in this system, how many times do you get to do stuff per round?

Four? And you can do up to three distinct things each time?

Man why do we even have a Face if he can't do anything in hours-long combat, this was really fun when y'all were just spitballin' about how to pull off this heist.

Sorry, guys.

I'm sorry this isn't as fun as it could be. I'm sure we'd be having more fun if we all knew these rules better.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Foo posted:

I'm on page 7. But no. gently caress you. For all bs, and there is a lot of it, you just told some one to not run games that they want to see. Fear is the mind killer. Fear of good games and expression is the hobby killer. You're too stuck in the world of the RPG industry to see that most people don't care. Play the games you, YOU want to play, with the people you want to play with. Go aggro on shitheads, YES. Don't go aggro on people that just want to play. gently caress off. You just told someone their fun, their game, was bad and wrong. Live the parody, rbh, because the other option is admitting you've stared too long into the abyss.

Yes, I explained and backed off already thank you.

Run whatever the hell you want! No one can stop people from running whatever the hell they want, and that's great. The whole "and just ignore all the bad poo poo" and "publish games that are good and this will fix everything" schticks don't do it for me anymore because neither one works; if you're publishing you are acutely, painfully aware of both the bad poo poo (because you're in competition with it) and of how your effort isn't really fixing anything except in the most painstakingly slow way possible where people issue anonymous threats on you and threaten your family.

So yeah I got frustrated, if people want an apology they can ask and get it, but I still won't accept platitudes because all they do is frustrate.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

If it's any consolation Foo also makes terrible loving posts in yospos so i'd just ignore him and move on.

Mimir posted:

One of the Worst Things in games is when weird fiddly rules fool you into thinking they're entirely reasonable rules. Then you're thinking you have a firm grasp on a ruleset, hypothetically, and let's say you've read some particular section on, oh, what's a good example, "The Matrix" a bunch of times, and it all seems reasonable.

Then (hypothetically), then, let's say that Matrix rules happened and then gently caress Technomancers why do you need so many goddamn rolls to do anything screw you oh man why does three seconds take so goddamn long in this system, how many times do you get to do stuff per round?

Man why do we even have a Face if he can't do anything in hours-long combat, this was really fun when y'all were just spitballin' about how to pull off this heist.

Sorry, guys.

I'm sorry this isn't as fun as it could be. I'm sure we'd be having more fun if we all knew these rules better.

Nope, that's more or less Shadowrun.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Nope, that's more or less Shadowrun.

It's the quintessential Shadowrun experience.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Tollymain posted:

GURPS is just a 3d6 roll-under system. Its supplements are also the best, because instead of endless lists of locations and NPCs they delve into discussions of genre conventions and also give you lots of inspiring ideas (GURPS Biotech :swoon:).

The book has a lot of options because you might want to play a 19-dimensional magical imp fighting a creature made of the poo poo of Adolph Hitler wearing rocket boots for the possession of a kryptonite condom. Really, for most games 80% of the options don't even apply. The important part is the players figuring out what game they're playing and build characters and pick optional rules around that, but that's a necessary step for every system, really. It's just that when you don't do that, GURPS falls apart more catastrophically than most other games. I wonder if game designers have a term for "defensive game design" or whatever.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mimir posted:

Sorry, guys.

It's small consolation, I know, but you were actually doing it right.

That said, there are a couple of other games/systems that do shadowrun better than shadowrun if your group really likes shadowrun or feels like homebrewing.
Leverage RPG, and Apocalypse World can both be used with fairly little tinkering, Levergae edges out AW though since it's more specifically about heists.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
When I ran an Eclipse Phase gatecrashing game I used GURPS 4E Space to calculate the surface temperature, day length and orbital periods of planets based on the conditions/star type I wanted because it was faster than crosschecking my figures with my textbooks.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Tollymain posted:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

If SA ever has a white noise poster Olympics, we are sending you.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:buddy:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they call it pathfinder unchained but idk it still looks pretty chained to the d20 framework

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
chain you to a table and sacrifice your heart to the Lord sean k reynolds

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I only like GURPS for the sourcebooks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GURPS is a great game, but you have to spend time getting your head around it. Just diving in with no real plan can lead to some really bad experiences.

Any game system that contains both Illuminati University and Transhuman Space can't be bad.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what would the ideal system be for running kill six billion demons

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tollymain posted:

they call it pathfinder unchained but idk it still looks pretty chained to the d20 framework

Wait, what?

(one google later)

Oh good grief.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
full bab progression still means you're using bab :colbert:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tollymain posted:

4e and you turn them into swarms.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Tollymain posted:

Reskin octaNe.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
one of these days i will actually look up and read octane

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, what?

(one google later)

Oh good grief.

From a discussion on the matter in the Paizo forums:

quote:

Yesss!! Pathfinder's certainly established itself as a complete creature with no need for 3.5 backwards compatibility. So I'm excited to see what the team can do to fix old unnecessary problems! We want to love you rogue and monk...maybe we shall soon...

And yet, when 4e did fix "old unnecessary problems!" in 2008, they hated it.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Tollymain posted:

one of these days i will actually look up and read octane
octaNe is really neat; it's a mashup of basically every zany post-apocalyptic thing ever and then some, so you can have a mutant luchador, Tank Girl, the guy from Six-String Samurai, a smart car, etc. The system takes some getting used to because it's fundamentally a way to assign narration rights (not unlike InSpectres), and my experience with it was that the players needed to be more willing to narrate their characters experiencing adversity than the rules really require.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nancy_Noxious posted:

From a discussion on the matter in the Paizo forums:

All Pathfinder is is 3.5 backwards compatibility! Because it's just 3.5!

Oy, my head.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Pathfinder had the same level of compatibility with 3.5 as 3.5 did with 3.0 - that is, just enough to make converting things really sodding tricky.

Which is ideal from a marketing perspective, I suppose, since it lets you reset the supplement treadmill while keeping a familiar enough system that your fanbase doesn't abandon you for other games.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ewen Cluney posted:

octaNe is really neat; it's a mashup of basically every zany post-apocalyptic thing ever and then some, so you can have a mutant luchador, Tank Girl, the guy from Six-String Samurai, a smart car, etc. The system takes some getting used to because it's fundamentally a way to assign narration rights (not unlike InSpectres), and my experience with it was that the players needed to be more willing to narrate their characters experiencing adversity than the rules really require.
So what you are saying is that I should have actually read the copies of Octane and InSpectres I bought at Gen-Con 2002 rather than being like "yay, autographed games from some dude I have never heard of!"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So does this mean we'll soon get edition wars for Patherfinder? :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So does this mean we'll soon get edition wars for Patherfinder? :v:

God, I hope so. It would be the most poetic justice.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Quarex posted:

So what you are saying is that I should have actually read the copies of Octane and InSpectres I bought at Gen-Con 2002 rather than being like "yay, autographed games from some dude I have never heard of!"

You have an autographed copy of OctaNe?

You should mail that to me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nancy_Noxious posted:

And yet, when 4e did fix "old unnecessary problems!" in 2008, they hated it.

Man, it's almost as if 3.x grogs have lovely opinions about games.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Quarex posted:

Holy poo poo yes you should. Octane is a lot of fun but it is a game that is rapidly capable of causing burnout. There's a lot of intensity and over-the-top ness. IMO it's not encouraging towards calm reactions to anything, so you can imagine how that goes. It's a quick read too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Ewen Cluney posted:

I bought octaNe at a con many years ago, and even though I liked some of it some of the more zany stuff flew way over my head and the system just felt off because I was way into games with a lot of crunch back in those days. That was many years ago though, and these days I love the game for the gonzo storygame it is.

What I'm trying to say is we should all play octaNe.

• Locked thread