Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Faustian Bargain posted:

I just read CNN's Boehner op-ed about why he's suing Obama and I can't believe he is really framing it as Republicans have tried to do things and it's Obama and the Democrats that have been ignoring them and doing nothing :what:

At least there are some people willing to call out Boehner's BS on CNN. I wonder if she wrote the op-ed piece after reading Boehner's article, or if this was just the stars aligning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

quote:

"I have neither the time nor the interest to disabuse you of the numerous fallacies in your posts. Your "cited" "facts" are wrong, and your allergy to conceptualization (and your fetish around disintegration) is telling. It certainly doesn't entice me to engage with you any further."

What a tool, cripes. I can't believe someone who talks like that exists.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ShadowCatboy posted:

Basically, I'm saying conservatives are literally manchildren and they need to grow the gently caress up.

Praxeology is a religion - hope that helps!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ShadowCatboy posted:

Welp, I touched the poop and started up a couple facebook debates with some libertarians.

In the interest of saving you some time in the future, when someone talks/writes like this

quote:

"I think that's a rather superficial and simplistic analysis of the economic causality relevant to the situation."

"I have neither the time nor the interest to disabuse you of the numerous fallacies in your posts. Your "cited" "facts" are wrong, and your allergy to conceptualization (and your fetish around disintegration) is telling. It certainly doesn't entice me to engage with you any further."

you can pretty much assume they're not worth talking to without regard to what they're actually saying.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am on my phone and finding a link is hard but my brother in law just told me that a guy is going to run against Lindsey Graham as an independent. The guy used to be the South Carolina state treasurer and he just got out of jail after 10 months because he bought cocaine for his friends and himself.

My BIL and his wife said voting for that guy would be better than voting for Graham.

Side note: their house is the house of conservative. All of rand's books on a book shelf, Atlas Shrugged the movie, the Fountainhead the movie, Obama's America (unopened thankfully), and an Apple TV with only the Blaze channel on it (the kids will love Liberty Treehouse).

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

ReidRansom posted:

you can pretty much assume they're not worth talking to without regard to what they're actually saying.

It pretty reads as "Blah, blah, blah my gut tells me I'm right but I can't counter your argument, so I'm gonna toss some big words out there and walk away"

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ReidRansom posted:

In the interest of saving you some time in the future, when someone talks/writes like this

The fact that he equated freedom to capitalism was another big tell, really. Once people start saying stuff with muddy definitions and a bombastic attitude, it becomes obvious that they don't have a cogent point and instead they're just saying words.

EDIT: That being said however, I have had some success in getting people to change their minds. I know at least one libertarian who walked it back and eventually became more of a social democrat after I hammered him on the health care issue for a while.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Dirt5o8 posted:

It pretty reads as "Blah, blah, blah my gut tells me I'm right but I can't counter your argument, so I'm gonna toss some big words out there and walk away"

AKA Praxeology.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ShadowCatboy posted:

The fact that he equated freedom to capitalism was another big tell, really. Once people start saying stuff with muddy definitions and a bombastic attitude, it becomes obvious that they don't have a cogent point and instead they're just saying words.

EDIT: That being said however, I have had some success in getting people to change their minds. I know at least one libertarian who walked it back and eventually became more of a social democrat after I hammered him on the health care issue for a while.

I don't understand the Libertarian fixation on unregulated markets. Unregulated markets tend towards monopolies and cartels as the big fish eat the small fish, which you'd think would fly in the face of the whole "efficient markets doing stuff efficiently" thing.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

ThirdPartyView posted:

AKA Praxeology.

Thanks, I've always wondered if there was a word for that.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don't understand the Libertarian fixation on unregulated markets. Unregulated markets tend towards monopolies and cartels as the big fish eat the small fish, which you'd think would fly in the face of the whole "efficient markets doing stuff efficiently" thing.

Well if a monopoly formed then a competitor would simply appear (thanks to there not being regulation, of course!) and balance things out. Naturally.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ShadowCatboy posted:

...Their protests aren't about the social benefits of their theories, it's all about spiting authorities in order to express their individualism.

Basically, I'm saying conservatives are literally manchildren and they need to grow the gently caress up.

That's my read, too. I'm endlessly amused by analogizing the error to 'Square Peg, Circle Hole.'

e.g. You can subconsciously treat social interaction, something guided by empathy, as though it were a thing of Rules & Logic, thus 'overthinking' it and consequently get poo poo results.

Similarly, you can treat Government as though it were a person, with traits like indolence or is-bad-with-money, and as though it were a parental figure against whom resistance signifies a desire for self-sufficiency/independence or adolescent individuation.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kit Walker posted:

Well if a monopoly formed then a competitor would simply appear (thanks to there not being regulation, of course!) and balance things out. Naturally.

That's true, magic is a pretty awesome thing.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

That's true, magic is a pretty awesome thing.

Accio Profit!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ShadowCatboy posted:

Once people start saying stuff with muddy definitions and a bombastic attitude, it becomes obvious that they don't have a cogent point and instead they're just saying words.

It is pretty funny.
So on a completely unrelated subject, let me tell you about poststructuralism...

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Zeroisanumber posted:

The article of faith that the free market is the most efficient way to do things is utterly unshakeable in their minds. It can't be challenged.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Helps to know a libertarian thinks everyone acts with 100% perfect information and will either do the right thing or be driven out for not doing the right thing.

Then there's the tenant that hard work, determination, and good ideas are all you need to strike it rich. We all know that's a load of poo poo.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Discendo Vox posted:

There are reasons why the book is popular, and why it's so painful to read now- it's not intended to be an effective expressive piece, it's an indoctrination tool. Atlas Shrugged is a very carefully designed rhetorical narrative designed to appeal to the disaffected, sheltered and self-absorbed. The book succeeds when the target self-identifies with John Galt. If you believe that your fellows aren't as rational as you are, and that you're isolated and alone, if you feel like society contains a lot of wasted potential, there are parts of the book designed to get the hooks of objectivism into your brain and make you self-identify with it. In the cases where this happens, the speech at the end is basically lovebombing, and it effectively seals the indoctrination the book is aiming for.

This is really giving it too much credit. It's too poorly organized to be called a "carefully designed rhetorical narrative." You have to already agree with its argument to find it at all convincing. It's not designed to convince people of Objectivisms correctness. It's designed to provide people already convinced of Objectivism's correctness with an ethical cloak woven of aphorisms and banal speeches.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

PeterWeller posted:

This is really giving it too much credit. It's too poorly organized to be called a "carefully designed rhetorical narrative." You have to already agree with its argument to find it at all convincing. It's not designed to convince people of Objectivisms correctness. It's designed to provide people already convinced of Objectivism's correctness with an ethical cloak woven of aphorisms and banal speeches.

And bromides. Bro.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

DemeaninDemon posted:

Helps to know a libertarian thinks everyone acts with 100% perfect information and will either do the right thing or be driven out for not doing the right thing.

Then there's the tenant that hard work, determination, and good ideas are all you need to strike it rich. We all know that's a load of poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

comes along bort posted:

Apparently the big twist in this one is Hillary Clinton is Saul Alinsky's chosen disciple instead of the Kenyan usurper. Just in time for 2016!

Please let this become the new MOST LIBERAL SENATOR!!!!!!

United States, 2024: A new hard hitting expose is release showing how Julian Castro has been Alinsky's apprentice all along.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gyges posted:

Please let this become the new MOST LIBERAL SENATOR!!!!!!

United States, 2024: A new hard hitting expose is release showing how Julian Castro has been Alinsky's apprentice all along.

There are always two. A master, and an apprentice...

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

There are always two. A master, and an apprentice...

So Castro's going to kill Hillary and assume the mantle?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ThirdPartyView posted:

So Castro's going to kill Hillary and assume the mantle?

Sounds good to me.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

fade5 posted:

All this talk of John Brown and no one's posted the greatest picture of him that was ever painted?

Tragic Prelude, by John Steuart Curry.:black101:
Sorry, all I'm getting from this is that John Brown was loving 12 feet tall and if that rifle was proportional to the rest of him it would probably down an elephant in one shot. What I guess I'm asking is how did they even manage to catch him?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ShadowCatboy posted:

"I think that's a rather superficial and simplistic analysis of the economic causality relevant to the situation. Mandated coverage of anything tends to cause the cost of those things to skyrocket. What you say would be true under freedom, but not when force is involved."

Is this person still in high school?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sYjmz19s-Lg

Happy birthday, America.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Holy poo poo, I haven't heard ska in like a decade.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Faustian Bargain posted:

I just read CNN's Boehner op-ed about why he's suing Obama and I can't believe he is really framing it as Republicans have tried to do things and it's Obama and the Democrats that have been ignoring them and doing nothing :what:

In other news, left is right, up is down, ignorance is strength.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Is this person still in high school?

That's also how college Libertarians invariably talk. I'm not really sure why.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

A Winner is Jew posted:

If you hop on Spotify, Catch 22 has an entire ska album about the life of Trotsky called Permanent Revolution.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Using big words is cover for their philosophy being utter bullshit.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

skaboomizzy posted:

If you hop on Spotify, Catch 22 has an entire ska album about the life of Trotsky called Permanent Revolution.

Thanks for the warning. Though I haven't thought of ska in years so thanks for the memories.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

fool_of_sound posted:

Chemical compound used in fedora production, also present in raw milk.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fool_of_sound posted:

Bigger college vocabulary, combined with never having a real job and/or having to support yourself, is ideal for developing libertarian beliefs.

comes along bort posted:

Chemical compound used in fedora production, also present in raw milk.

The leader of Open Carry Texas.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In the June thread, I posted an article about a Dallas musician, Barry Kooda, promoting an "Open Guitar Rally" in response to the open carry nonsense. Well it happened and apparently a fun time was had by all. No incidents, not even an appearance by someone carrying an automatic rifle, just guitars, and one keytar.

edit: fixed it

radical meme fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 7, 2014

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

The leader of Open Carry Texas.

M'lady care to hold onto my gun?

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

radical meme posted:

In the June thread, I posted an article about a Dallas musician, Barry Kooda, promoting an "Open Guitar Rally" in response to the open carry nonsense. Well it happened and apparently a fun time was had by all. No incidents, not even an appearance by someone carrying an automatic rifle, just guitars, and one keytar.

Everything about this is the best :3:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

A Winner is Jew posted:

Ska owns, listen to more of it

radical meme posted:

this also owns

KEYTAR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I think my favorite is the one guy with a cymbal.

• Locked thread