Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
More closeups of the new giveaway weapons. There's also a shot of System Weapon 008 tucked into the corner as well. The funny thing is that some of the new weapons (The sniper rifle and chaingun) are just cheap knockoffs of the System Weapon versions with a few extra tab connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone built a Turn X yet?

Yo. It's a pretty good kit. His right arm is really tricky to keep up because of the way the shoulder joints work, it just sort of flops down unless you put it in a pose that gets some torsion on the joint.. Looks really good when panel lined.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
Working on a Bandai 1/1000 Space Battleship Yamato 2199, sometimes this thing gives me the shits.

Is there a name for that bullshit phenomena when you're removing a really tiny piece from the frame but on the final snip it practically teleports? I usually hold them with tweezers while I cut but even then they sometimes slip. It's really depressing to hear that faint ping of high-velocity plastic and knowing it has landed somewhere you'll never find it. Instead of fruitlessly searching for hours I've found it easier just making new pieces. Magnifying glass and small-head grinder- fashion an identical bit, easy.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

ScottyWired posted:

Working on a Bandai 1/1000 Space Battleship Yamato 2199, sometimes this thing gives me the shits.

Is there a name for that bullshit phenomena when you're removing a really tiny piece from the frame but on the final snip it practically teleports? I usually hold them with tweezers while I cut but even then they sometimes slip. It's really depressing to hear that faint ping of high-velocity plastic and knowing it has landed somewhere you'll never find it. Instead of fruitlessly searching for hours I've found it easier just making new pieces. Magnifying glass and small-head grinder- fashion an identical bit, easy.

Low Earth Orbit?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ScottyWired posted:

I've built the same kit and had that problem. The easiest way to stop it is to build it on a low coffee table rather than your desk. That way when something pings off into the ether, it can't fly as far and you can't run anything over with the wheels of your desk chair. Alss if you don't already know, you're gonna need glue for the fiddly little turret barrels.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

AzMiLion posted:

Low Earth Orbit?

To build the spaceship I need the pieces but to recover the pieces I need the spaceship. gently caress.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've built the same kit and had that problem. The easiest way to stop it is to build it on a low coffee table rather than your desk. That way when something pings off into the ether, it can't fly as far and you can't run anything over with the wheels of your desk chair. Alss if you don't already know, you're gonna need glue for the fiddly little turret barrels.
Only problem is the carpet in my room and it's really quite too cold right now to move into the shed. I picked up a pair of virtually unused knee-height coffee tables for cheap. One of them has Yamato on it, the other is a regular boring 1/16 RC Tiger I Tank that's being converted into this. Would this be the right thread to discuss it once it's done?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Even if there's a thread for military models somewhere on the forum you'd probably get chased out for being a goddamn weeb. :v:

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Kitfox88 posted:

Even if there's a thread for military models somewhere on the forum you'd probably get chased out for being a goddamn weeb. :v:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869

Actually there's a scale modelers thread over in Creative Convention.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Kitfox88 posted:

The Missing Link posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869

Actually there's a scale modelers thread over in Creative Convention.

I'm not really that experienced with model building, so I think they'd care less about being a weeb and more about the horrifying paint job on my Panther :v:

oh and you guys seem pretty cool, I really don't use SA as often as I should

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ScottyWired posted:

oh and you guys seem pretty cool, I really don't use SA as often as I should

Feel free to stick around then. We always welcome more Gunpla builders to the fray. Also, don't hesistate to ask for recommendations if you ever feel like building an actual Gundam. :)

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

Feel free to stick around then. We always welcome more Gunpla builders to the fray. Also, don't hesistate to ask for recommendations if you ever feel like building an actual Gundam. :)

Or any other plastic robot/mech!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ScottyWired posted:

You can do the cutting inside a gallon size zip lock - only 1 way out and you can backstop that direction behind your hand.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Midjack posted:

You can do the cutting inside a gallon size zip lock - only 1 way out and you can backstop that direction behind your hand.

I'll make sure Sunrise reserves a spot in Gunpla heaven

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Has anyone gotten the Kotobukiya Knights of Sidonia kit? I saw there's a Riobot figure (2 in fact, one came out last year and another is coming this year) but it's way too expensive...thing is the kit requires glue and paint, the former of which I can do but the latter is a bit daunting although the mechs are mostly off-white.

Also I guess Riobot stuff sounds cool, they did Cyberbots figures too.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Feeling inspired by this thread I finished the Yamato after procrastinating too long.

Seeing all the little seam faults is annoying and reminds me that I suck at this.

I should also finish the original Gundam because I started a week ago so that's why this thread caught my eye dont kill me please

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zeether posted:

Has anyone gotten the Kotobukiya Knights of Sidonia kit? I saw there's a Riobot figure (2 in fact, one came out last year and another is coming this year) but it's way too expensive...thing is the kit requires glue and paint, the former of which I can do but the latter is a bit daunting although the mechs are mostly off-white.

Also I guess Riobot stuff sounds cool, they did Cyberbots figures too.

Kotobukia kits don't actually need paint and glue for the kits themselves, they are snapfit-and-sticker jobs like any HG Gundam kit. What those are generally noting are little add-in minifigs and minor detail items that need to be glued and painted.

For example, I have the Kotobukia Tachikoma kit (which is a great little desk toy to fiddle with, incidentally) and it comes with a little Motoko that can be sat in the driver's pod, along with a standing Batou and the little girl that can sit on top of the main body like in one of the episodes (Ep 12? 13? from the first season. Something like that). They're a dull cream colour and all need glue and paint.

Looking at the pictures on 1999.co.jp, as they always the runners and manual, the only thing that needs painting is the Kabi spear. The numbers and red stripes are stickers. Though personally I'd wait for the Animated version coming in October - it has the oversized Kabi Launcher :shepface:.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Alright, sounds good. I'll wait for the other version since I may have some more cash then.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zeether posted:

Alright, sounds good. I'll wait for the other version since I may have some more cash then.

By October you should have enough for a full Clasp Array :v:. I will admit I like the little detail that they actually included hands for that. I might actually pick up a Kotobukiya Tsugumori myself. I'm a sucker for Tsutomu Nihei's various manga series, and it's a neat robot.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I'm just about done assembling the PG Strike Freedom. Just finished the wings; only the weapons are left.

Is there some trick to getting these loving things to stay closed? The Dragoons basically refuse to stay flush with the wing binders, and are always partially extended a half-inch or so, revealing the gold frame. Very rarely they will, but a light touch will pop them out. It's an interesting mechanism (although is sucked building it 8 times), but it's so finicky and fragile. I read somewhere that there are aftermarket metal parts for the wings, but I believe that's just the backpack mounting points.

Did I miss something during the build that secures them better? The internal diagram the instructions show is almost useless since I can't open up a Dragoon and not have half the parts fall out, let alone with the extra tensions the wing binder would impart.

It's been a long time since I've assembled a PG; did the Astray, Strike, and Raiser have metal parts and screw-secured joints like older PGs? I was surprised the Strike Freedom had only one screw, and that was to close the battery compartment.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Hate to tell you this, but PG Strike Freedom is arguably the worst PG ever made. Your issues with the Dragoons are fairly common - in fact, PG SF is infamous for having the backpack snap right off due to the sheer weight(hence the existence of the aftermarket metal parts).

Meanwhile, Strike is considered to be the best PG kit. Astray is close behind, mainly cause it also uses the Strike's inner frame and just throws Astray armor on top of it. Raiser on the other hand is considered to be in the same poo poo tier as SF - The MG 00 Raiser is considered a better kit than the PG in almost every way.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
PG as a line has far more misses than hits, basically.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Turns out Dalong has a review of the Tsugumori, sans stickers. It looks just fine, the only thing of note is the fingertips arent red, but that's hardly a big thing or unexpected.

BlitzBlast posted:

PG as a line has far more misses than hits, basically.

You'd think in a kit at that size and price point it would be easier to make a quality model.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The majority of PGs were made prior to when gunpla in general reached its current quality, and the most recent ones are heavily ambitious designs that are impressive, they just can't support their gimmicks.

PG SF sans backpack and PG 00 Gundam/0 Raiser are amazing. It's just nobody bought their kits for them.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

By October you should have enough for a full Clasp Array :v:. I will admit I like the little detail that they actually included hands for that. I might actually pick up a Kotobukiya Tsugumori myself. I'm a sucker for Tsutomu Nihei's various manga series, and it's a neat robot.
Yeah, I like the clasp thing. I just hope it's still in stock when I have the cash, but with a second season coming I'd assume they'll have kit material for a little while.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

How was the Zeta PG? I always wanted that one even before I watched the show, it just looked cool.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Azubah posted:

How was the Zeta PG? I always wanted that one even before I watched the show, it just looked cool.

If you want a Zeta Gundam, get the MG 2.0. The PG and 1.0 MG have horrible proportions due to being a transformer when Bandai's engineering wasn't sufficient for transformations and proportion accuracy, the HGUC is a partsformer and an early kit in the HGUC line, and the RG is a fragile mess because of its small size and thin plastic. Here's my 2.0 Zeta Gundam for reference:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Azubah posted:

Same as all of the other early PGs. Cool, but bad proportions and loose joints.

Zeta is pretty much a loving mess of a design, so to this day there still hasn't been a good kit of it. The MG 2.0 is the closest, but it sacrificed a lot for its transformation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Still morbidly awaiting the announcement of a PG Unicorn. It's big enough to allow for some wizardry but also big enough that they might go overboard and push it over the line from cool to suck.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Apparently the Tsugumori pretty much needs a base and won't stand on its own so I'll have to get a base with it :v:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

drat, I was really hoping it was a 'If you could read Japanese the instructions tell you to do this, but they don't explain it in diagrams', not another gimmick-over-engineering Perfect Grade fuckup. My Raiser is backpack-less because of the ridiculous weight. PG GP01Fb and Strike+Aile seem to be about as large/intricate Bandai's engineering is capable of without loving things up.

I remember being shocked at how different Strike's frame was over any other kit, and further shocked by how well it worked and articulated.

If Unicorn is the next PG, I'm fully expecting them to go with the Full Armor so they can screw it up (and be able to charge the extra $100 for all the extra plastic).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

PG SF is technically Strike Freedom vKa. Overly ambitious engineering is practically one of the features of the line now.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Zeether posted:

Apparently the Tsugumori pretty much needs a base and won't stand on its own so I'll have to get a base with it :v:

well it can't stand up under gravity in the manga so it's accurate

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Kotobukiya stand it needs is also really hard to find, unless Action Bases work too.

e: Looks like an Action Base works as well. Dunno why the hell it's so hard to find Koto's bases.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I think I read somewhere that the Action Base 1 works out pretty well with it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

TARDISman posted:

I think I read somewhere that the Action Base 1 works out pretty well with it.
Yeah, I read a review that said it in the comments (http://otakurevolution.com/content/kotobukiya-1100-knights-of-sidonia-ichinanashiki-morito-tsugumori-hakugetsu-kai-review). Decals are waterslides too but nothing I can't handle (gonna need mark setter though)

e: Dalong has pictures of it standing on its own two legs so I guess it is possible for it to be done.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 6, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Hello! I'm not sure if this is the correct thread so feel free to point me elsewhere if it isn't!
I just bought this model and I'm looking for some guidance on how I should go about painting it.

It looks like the only things I'm really going to need to paint are the faces and maybe some bits on his hands. I've never really attempted anything like this so I don't have any brushes or paints on hand and would have to buy them. Are there certain brushes/paints I should look into? I looked through some of the links in the OP but those focus mainly on robots and I'm not sure how I would go about painting a face that doesn't look like complete garbage!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

What's the scale of the figure? If it's really small, you can just brush skin tone on it and then not really care. If it's more life-size, it's just a matter of layering multiple shades of the skin tone to get something more realistic.

Gonna warn you though, you are going to have to paint the whole thing if you don't want it to look weird. The shading on those creases isn't done for you.

EDIT: This is a good tutorial.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Well, I was down at Barnes and Noble, and saw one of these

for 15 dolars. Never actually made one before, but I tried anyways

Didn't really do a good job with the stickers, but it was more fun than I'd thought it would be. I'm really more of a UC guy though, so does anyone have a suggestion for what I might want to look into for the next time I make one?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

What's the scale of the figure? If it's really small, you can just brush skin tone on it and then not really care. If it's more life-size, it's just a matter of layering multiple shades of the skin tone to get something more realistic.

Gonna warn you though, you are going to have to paint the whole thing if you don't want it to look weird. The shading on those creases isn't done for you.

EDIT: This is a good tutorial.

It says it is 1/10 scale, but I can't find an actual measurement and the box is at home.
http://misopura.web.fc2.com/uchukyodai.html
Here are a bunch of shots with some other objects to maybe give you an idea of the size. From the looks of it, I would only need some black, white, brown, and possibly red paint(all the pieces that are shown as red might be made of red plastic but I'm not 100% sure).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

It says it is 1/10 scale, but I can't find an actual measurement and the box is at home.
http://misopura.web.fc2.com/uchukyodai.html
Here are a bunch of shots with some other objects to maybe give you an idea of the size. From the looks of it, I would only need some black, white, brown, and possibly red paint(all the pieces that are shown as red might be made of red plastic but I'm not 100% sure).

Don't sweat the exact size - the question was to determine if it was a small figure, 35mm like a Warhammer figure, or if it's larger, like what you have here. Techniques that look fine on small figures often are terrible on larger ones, and what looks good on a large figure is often difficult to pull off on a smaller one and too small to see anyway.

• Locked thread