Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I want Persona to take place in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Persona 5 Crushing Lives of the Working Class is going to be the Adachi simulator we always wanted.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Freak Futanari posted:

It takes place in a motherfuckin high school. Aw yiss :D

WHAT?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I know, I too am disappointed that isn't going to take place in a retirement home.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is legitimately surprising to me, when did they announce this?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think they've announced anything for Persona 5 but that one trailer, but of course it takes place in high school. EP is literally the only game in the series that doesn't, and it's a sequel to a game that does.

Probably the one way it could ever not be in high school if it is in some way a direct continuation of Persona 4's story, with or without a new cast.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It was like one of the first things to come out about the game.

quote:

This weekend, Atlus revealed that the next installment of the Persona series in Persona 5 will be coming to the PlayStation 3 in winter 2014 in Japan. This week’s Dengeki PlayStation magazine shares some additional tidbits of information on the upcoming game.

The teaser that was shown during the Persona 5 reveal had what appeared to be five chairs with a ball and chain attached to each one. According to the magazine, these chairs are part of a high school classroom, and the chairs and chains represent the theme of the upcoming game.

Additionally, Dengeki reports that Persona 5 will be an RPG that sends a strong message of catharsis, after overcoming trials to free yourself from your shackles. The game will take place in the series’ usual juvenile school setting, but will take on a different mood this time around.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Accordion Man posted:

Still going to be in high school, main theme is supposed to be about breaking free of the oppressive parts of society. We got nothing else otherwise.

what astonishing new ground being broken by the persona series here, atlus has truly outdone themselves.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Um, it says typical juvenile school setting, so that can very clearly mean a primary school, I've been waiting for Persona babies.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

what astonishing new ground being broken by the persona series here, atlus has truly outdone themselves.
You're expecting innovation in the Japanese side of the industry? :haw:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Accordion Man posted:

You're expecting innovation in the Japanese side of the industry? :haw:

maybe just a little, yeah

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I"m going to hope, desperately, that they're going to tackle things besides 'I DON'T WANNA BECOME A SALARYMAN' with that theme.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You are going to be sorely disappointed.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Personally I hope there is a cross dressing android that learns the true meaning of Christmas. And that xe is the only party member.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

You are going to be sorely disappointed.

Yeah, I know.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, no offense to anyone who's excited to the game or anything, but this Persona is probably gonna have the most cultural dissonance that any one of them has had.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh, both P4 and Catherine were focused around Insanely Japanese Issues and people seemed to handle them okay. It's going to depend on translation and such but still.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty sure Catherine got slammed by people for how it portrayed relationships, but that's mostly based in some community reactions I've seen rather than like journalism or large outrage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm pretty sure Catherine got slammed by people for how it portrayed relationships, but that's mostly based in some community reactions I've seen rather than like journalism or large outrage.

Well, it got slammed for boiling relationships and personality down to a good/evil meter but despite that there was praise for the actual issues being tackled, despite the fact that it may as well have been Herbivore Man: The Game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Beef Waifu posted:

It is a pretty good Nice Guy sim though, since Katherine's route was "insert Nice Guy tokens until you get your domestic happy ending, even though you cheated and lied repeatedly about it"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's actually not at all what that route is about because each route changes Vincent's character and the world a bit to fit the choices he's made and change the world to suit them as well.

That being said all three routes are the best and the only problem is the game doesn't have an Erica option.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Speaking of Erica, if P5 has a trans and/or gay character and treats them with the respect they treated Erica with it would be pretty amazing.

It would even be thematic!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The "It didn't count" joke was pretty lovely, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's weird with Catherine and how it handles Erica, because you can interpret a lot of the dialogue towards her as Japan doing their usual shtick and just making GBS threads on other types of people they don't understand. That being said, the game gives you enough detail and information to also like Erica as a character and show that Vincent and Co. actually do care about her and a lot of those lines are possibly them looking out for her.

I agree though the "It didn't count" joke was really bad.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Beef Waifu posted:

That being said all three routes are the best and the only problem is the game doesn't have an Erica option.

Only one of them ends with you enslaving demon dad and becoming defacto ruler of the underworld, so I beg to differ.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Space Adventures with Vincent is actually the best, sorry to inform you.

Oh and the Freedom Endings teach us the most important lesson to learn ever, don't bet on pro wrestling.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Speedball posted:

I want Persona to take place in college.

Persona in a university setting: everyone has exactly 45 minutes of free time per week to dungeon dive in between assignments, papers and classes. Alternatively, you can use these 45 minutes to sleep.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Deltasquid posted:

Persona in a university setting: everyone has exactly 45 minutes of free time per week to dungeon dive in between assignments, papers and classes. Alternatively, you can use these 45 minutes to sleep.

Persona 5 is all about breaking through oppression, so clearly you're gonna have to set up a protest against the college to get more free time.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

My favorite thing about Persona 5 is how people try to overanalyze every single piece of substanceless PR non-information that comes out.

Actual quote from the developers about Persona 5 posted:

But for Persona 5, we're talking about a different sort of freedom that's set aside from what those previous games have discussed and operates under its own set of thematic principles. What we're doing as a team is taking all these sentiments on various things that we've accumulated over the years making these games and portraying them in a new light.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We are not making video games, WE ARE MAKING FREEDOM.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

OneDeadman posted:

Persona 5 is all about breaking through oppression, so clearly you're gonna have to set up a protest against the college to get more free time.

It ends with everyone failing their accountancy class.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Did the same editor work on Overclocked as vanilla DS1, cause between the Fiend's description gunk and leaving Loki's name in Japanese for one or two textboxes on Naoya's route's 8th day, it sure feels like it.

Speaking of Naoya's 8th day, is the fact that Enoch/Metatron is Cain's kid ever mentioned? I feel like Naoya at least would've made some snide comment about it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

I mean, no offense to anyone who's excited to the game or anything, but this Persona is probably gonna have the most cultural dissonance that any one of them has had.

Why do you think that?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

Why do you think that?

It's the theme of being chained down and the possibility they're going with a more serious tone than P4 (honestly it could even get more serious than P3). More of the divide between how western audiences perceive Persona might become more apparent than previous games, because there's a lot of things I can imagine them doing that just will not translate well to a western point of view. However, as ImpAtom already stated, despite the fact P4 and Catherine (Especially Catherine, holy poo poo) have big messages that interweave from Japanese culture, the games still managed to be very well received and in both games' cases be considered really progressive.

I'm honestly just spitballing some neutral statements though until we finally get some loving info. More than half a year is too long to wait for any drat news.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Manatee Cannon posted:

Why do you think that?

It's about "freedom" and just you watch, there won't be one single bald eagle in it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If there isn't a single god drat bald eagle I am tossing my copy into a fire.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Wanting to break free, in a school? Persona 5: Danganronpa Edition.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Light Gun Man posted:

Wanting to break free, in a school?

Cromartie-version Freddy for Persona 5 main character.

His horse can be the S.Link.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Excels posted:

It is a pretty good Nice Guy sim though, since Katherine's route was "insert Nice Guy tokens until you get your domestic happy ending, even though you cheated and lied repeatedly about it"

You don't actually cheat though. You can lie, and encourage Catherine's flirtations, but doing so takes you off of Katherine's route.

And honestly, the Nice Guy thing is being overextended at this point. Vincent and Katherine are in a relationship; there isn't anything out of line about the fact that her good end comes as a result of him treating her well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I think what most people like about Erica is that she seems more or less as though she were written as a normal female character, and the revelation of her being trans isn't a major focus of her character (although it does serve as a punchline to a game-spanning joke.) Also because Erica is constantly the voice of reason throughout, and becomes one of the only characters to know something weird is going on besides Vincent. Plus she's like your support team yo, she gives you tough love but she's there for ya, to drink yourself to oblivion.