Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

So is there any decent mod that overhauls NPCs without making them look like plastic kawaii waifu-chans/extras in a snuff film or whatever the gently caress?
Try New Vegas Redesigned 2 with the lore plugin and none of the retexture options.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

CJacobs posted:

The two definitely ramble on about bullshit for similar lengths of time though.

Crucifixion is often harder on the profligate.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Has the Fallout 3 thread fallen into the archives? I can't seem to find it and I probably should have bookmarked it because I do still play FO3, and I don't have archives, so if it did then I'm screwed!

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
Sorry, the FO3 thread fell into the archives months back (last post March 2013). What exactly are you looking for? If you're looking for recommendations, the people here can probably help with that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That is what I'm looking for, yes!

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
Going to need to be a little more specific, I'm afraid. What exactly are you looking for? Game overhauls, new weapons, locations, quests, mole rat boob mods, what?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mostly general purpose make-the-game-better stuff. I'm not looking to make the game unrecognizable but it would be nice if it was fun to play. It's too bad you can't get rid of the general clunkiness of Gamebryo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Mostly general purpose make-the-game-better stuff. I'm not looking to make the game unrecognizable but it would be nice if it was fun to play. It's too bad you can't get rid of the general clunkiness of Gamebryo.

First thing to get is Fallout: Wanderer's Edition. It's the predecessor to Project Nevada, and incorporates some of the same stuff (rebalancing options, grenade hotkey, sprint and bullet time functions, etc.), but it also incorporates a New Vegas-style needs system and an alternative start function like Roleplayer's Alternate Start for New Vegas, which massively speeds up starting a new game by letting you skip the entire Vault tutorial after birth.

After that, I would get the Weapon Mod Kits to add that functionality into it. From then on, you can grab just about anything you want. Personally I like to use Vurt's Flora Overhaul, which has several different variations to let you change the look of the wasteland to fit your personal view of how lush or dead it should be. No matter the variation, it always adds a ton of trees, grass, and brush to generally enhance the appearance of the wasteland.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

CJacobs posted:

No he did that a few times too. Some might say a few too many times.

I only looked at the images on the first page. Looked at a few more now and found this:

:nws: http://static-3.nexusmods.com/15/mods/130/images/56312-5-1404552550.jpg :nws:

That sure was missing from the original game. Also, admirable artistic dedication. :shepicide:

Edit: Reading through all the other changes is hilarious. "This character is smart, so she needs to have glasses. This character has a black voice actor, so he needs to be black as well". :v:

Smol fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 7, 2014

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Smol posted:

I only looked at the images on the first page. Looked at a few more now and found this:

:nws: http://static-3.nexusmods.com/15/mods/130/images/56312-5-1404552550.jpg :nws:

That sure was missing from the original game. Also, admirable artistic dedication. :shepicide:

Edit: Reading through all the other changes is hilarious. "This character is smart, so she needs to have glasses. This character has a black voice actor, so he needs to be black as well". :v:

Ya it's clearly an autistic understand of characters/humanity.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Like, I can understand a desire to get rid of some of the really sterile look the game has. Stuff like making long-dead corpses actually look long-dead or giving a wounded character some cuts and bandages? That's cool, and I like that he did that.

But that poo poo's just excessive.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Note that you can get rid of that stuff if you want, the default install contains actually clothed bodies and you have to physically pick the option to install the :airquote:unrated:airquote: version.

But you probably shouldn't do that anyway because some of the changes are laughably bad.

chitoryu12 posted:

First thing to get is Fallout: Wanderer's Edition. It's the predecessor to Project Nevada, and incorporates some of the same stuff (rebalancing options, grenade hotkey, sprint and bullet time functions, etc.), but it also incorporates a New Vegas-style needs system and an alternative start function like Roleplayer's Alternate Start for New Vegas, which massively speeds up starting a new game by letting you skip the entire Vault tutorial after birth.

After that, I would get the Weapon Mod Kits to add that functionality into it. From then on, you can grab just about anything you want. Personally I like to use Vurt's Flora Overhaul, which has several different variations to let you change the look of the wasteland to fit your personal view of how lush or dead it should be. No matter the variation, it always adds a ton of trees, grass, and brush to generally enhance the appearance of the wasteland.

Alright, cool. Anything like NVAC that I can use to make the game not crash every 30 minutes? Because it's been doing that lately at random and it's kinda annoying.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 7, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Note that you can get rid of that stuff if you want, the default install contains actually clothed bodies and you have to physically pick the option to install the :airquote:unrated:airquote: version.

But you probably shouldn't do that anyway because some of the changes are laughably bad.

Alright, cool. Anything like NVAC that I can use to make the game not crash every 30 minutes? Because it's been doing that lately at random and it's kinda annoying.

If you can play it through a Tale Of Two Wastelands, I remember reading that running Fallout3.esm through FNV.exe makes it less terrible.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
Actually, playing FO3 through TTW isn't a bad idea, if you're willing to go.through the patching process. I've been doing my own playthrough of FO3 with TTW, and the quality of life improvements are really noticeable (damage registering correctly is a nice thing).

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
In related news, while I want to play a new game (And with TTW, no less), I've decided I should finish ARMS first. However, I'm roughly 25% done with my Version 0.4 (Which should put all existing ammunitions to bed, unless I have to invent new subtypes. I need to buy more whiskey.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

SpookyLizard posted:

In related news, while I want to play a new game (And with TTW, no less), I've decided I should finish ARMS first. However, I'm roughly 25% done with my Version 0.4 (Which should put all existing ammunitions to bed, unless I have to invent new subtypes. I need to buy more whiskey.

Anybody who mods sober is insane. Like Dracomies is. That guy is beyond creepy in his autism.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
If you find yourself tracing out the word "SLUT" with your finger using red paint - for whatever reason - it's probably time to pause and think about what you're doing. :psyduck:

chitoryu12 posted:

Like, I can understand a desire to get rid of some of the really sterile look the game has. Stuff like making long-dead corpses actually look long-dead or giving a wounded character some cuts and bandages? That's cool, and I like that he did that.

But that poo poo's just excessive.

I agree with this, basically.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

If you can play it through a Tale Of Two Wastelands, I remember reading that running Fallout3.esm through FNV.exe makes it less terrible.

Seconding this. The patcher is pretty painless to run, I only had one small hiccup (had to rebuild one BSA.)

Just start the patcher and go to work/sleep.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The last time I installed Tale of Two Wastelands it broke absolutely everything and the time before that it basically single-handedly put a halt to my Fallout 3 LP by breaking my install altogether and wiping my saves, so I'd rather not bother with it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 7, 2014

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
So I started a new game, only mods I used are NVSE/4gb/CASM and Freeside open. An hour and a half in I get to primm; while I'm shooting the raiders outdid it crashes. Reload (CASM saved for me by the NCR camp next to primm) and it crashed in like 2 minutes in roughly the same area.

So I don't think my crashing problems are mod-related but that also means I don't have any idea why they're happening.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
For me the most common cause of crashes & corrupted saves is CASM. Since I stopped using it i've noticed a huge decrease in the number of times the game crashed & haven't had one save get corrupted. I even run game overhauls like NVA now without issues. Link to NVA: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55455/

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Clinton1011 posted:

For me the most common cause of crashes & corrupted saves is CASM. Since I stopped using it i've noticed a huge decrease in the number of times the game crashed & haven't had one save get corrupted. I even run game overhauls like NVA now without issues. Link to NVA: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55455/

Did you remember to turn off regular autosaves?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I don't believe I did. I assumed the mod would have made any required changes it needed to function correctly. I'll give it another go, the concept behind the mod is great & I could image not being able to play without it once you got it working stably.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I turned off the normal autosave, and this kind of crash was happening before I had CASM installed at all, so I don't think mods or CASM are the problems.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Try NVAC.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

CJacobs posted:

The last time I installed Tale of Two Wastelands it broke absolutely everything and the time before that it basically single-handedly put a halt to my Fallout 3 LP by breaking my install altogether and wiping my saves, so I'd rather not bother with it.

The main F3 campaign is relatively stable now, outside of a few funny things like almost all the people in Rivet City spawning on the beach next to the ship. Only tried one DLC with it so far, but it crashes every few feet.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Can we get this in 6,000 pt font on fire?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I'd just go with a New Vegas-style "Quest Added: USE NVAC, DUMBASS" with the image linking directly to its Nexus page.

Bonus points if it's animated like an actual quest in-game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Crimson Harvest posted:

In the absence of 6,000 pt fire-font, I threw some cute little "worshiping" smilies around it and updated its description in the OP.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'd make a Blingee if I wasn't on my phone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lol. I tried installing TTW the manual way because I didn't want to download Nexus Mod Manager, and lo and behold it didn't work and the game crashed over and over after removing my UI entirely and not giving me a main menu. Then I uninstalled/reinstalled New Vegas, downloaded NMM, and did it the automatic way, and what do you know NMM crashes instantly upon successfully installing the fomod.

Bravo.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Use FOMM. NMM is for :nexus: people. The main menu can take noticeably longer to appear, because the game reads everything from all the BSA files from both F3 and NV before the selections come up, as opposed to just the stuff for one game.

Edit: Either your having some hardware issues, or installing it incorrectly then. As of last year, I was running TTW just fine on a laptop I had bought in early 2010. For the people who get it running, the impression is almost always, "I'm surprised at how stable this is." Fallout 3 worked better for me through TTW than it ever did by itself. You might consider checking out TTWs tech support section.\/\/\/

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 7, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Can't, my PC doesn't meet the arbitrary requirements for installing TTW through FOMM. If I try to install it through FOMM it hangs for a while and then crashes because gently caress me that's why. Also when I say "crash" in reference to NV, I don't mean "sits there doing nothing". I have concluded that even after like two years, TTW is still a mess that is not worth using.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 7, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

CJacobs posted:

Can't, my PC doesn't meet the arbitrary requirements for installing TTW through FOMM. If I try to install it through FOMM it hangs for a while and then crashes because gently caress me that's why. Also when I say "crash" in reference to NV, I don't mean "sits there doing nothing". I have concluded that even after like two years, TTW is still a mess that is not worth using.

Tale of Two Wastelands is working for literally hundreds of other posters in this thread, sounds like you have a lovely computer that can't even run FOMM hth

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gyshall posted:

Tale of Two Wastelands is working for literally hundreds of other posters in this thread, sounds like you have a lovely computer that can't even run FOMM hth

I don't know about that, since he did a Max Payne 3 LP on it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I tried it one more time because I'm a persistent bastard who doesn't know when to give up and on the third reinstall of everything it worked perfectly fine even though I did absolutely nothing different. I hate troubleshooting video game mods!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
A while back there was an armor mod, and it was based around a comic of some undead dude. Duster, cowboy hat, that kinda poo poo. And that's all I can really remember. Wasn't too long ago, and now I want it but can't find it :downs:

E:

Found it :toot:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55713/

Beeb fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 8, 2014

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

For anyone using Mod Organizer and DarnUI, how did you get them working? The font change never seems to stick if I try to launch the game with MO, but if I install DarnUI with NMM and launch the game with that it seems to work fine.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Roobanguy posted:

For anyone using Mod Organizer and DarnUI, how did you get them working? The font change never seems to stick if I try to launch the game with MO, but if I install DarnUI with NMM and launch the game with that it seems to work fine.
Use the INI Editor within MO to edit the fonts. Part of MO's profile system is having its own versions of the ini files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Gilg posted:

Use the INI Editor within MO to edit the fonts. Part of MO's profile system is having its own versions of the ini files.
Thanks, I was just about to move back to FOMM.