Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DrChud posted:

Can't have too many Ecto-1's :)

Oh I have a full list of things to buy before I'd need to start doubling up on Ecto-1s! I'm just lamenting VIP online-only sets. Some of us don't have debit cards. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Odd request: I'm looking for a gift for my sister and brother in law in the $50-60 range. They're both gigantic nerds and have lamented their lack of Lego models, so we'd like to get them a Lego set. I'm thinking Star Was/Hobbit/superheroes but I'm not really that familiar with the licensed lines. What's a really fun build in that range?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Maybe the X-Wing? $50, not the MOST fun but it is super iconic and is fun to play with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do what the posts above yours suggested: buy the Ecto-1. It's easily the coolest model Lego has put out this year. Maybe even last year too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Seconding the Ecto-1 as a suggestion. It's iconic, has huge geek appeal, is a really nice build, and incredibly satisfying to look at when it's done. Plus who doesn't love Ghostbusters?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Seconding the Ecto-1 as a suggestion. It's iconic, has huge geek appeal, is a really nice build, and incredibly satisfying to look at when it's done. Plus who doesn't love Ghostbusters?

People who were born after 1990, which is why I didn't immediately go that route ;) But if it's a clear frontrunner just for the quality of the build we might do it anyhow. Maybe it will give them an excuse to watch the movie, too. Cultural enrichment.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

3 posted:

It's a stripped-down, very simplified version of the original:

Part of that I assume is making the joints more secure by using balljoints instead of the more... esoteric design on Pete's original.

Here's a side-by-side comparison:

Certain aspects of the production model (e.g., most of the joints) have been simplified -- and there's some creative license w/r/t the detailing -- but it's still a quantum leap from Lego's previous mechs. (In some ways, the Ideas version actually looks better, thanks to the addition of those trans-yellow and dark gray elements.)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also the cockpit frame and exhaust/antenna detailing around the top look really cool compared to the original. This guy is going to get into some serious scrapes with Metalbeard and the GS mech.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Optimist Prime posted:

Certain aspects of the production model (e.g., most of the joints) have been simplified -- and there's some creative license w/r/t the detailing -- but it's still a quantum leap from Lego's previous mechs. (In some ways, the Ideas version actually looks better, thanks to the addition of those trans-yellow and dark gray elements.)

Yeah, I did always think the original, while neat conceptually, was way too dull. A little bit of extra contrast goes a long way (though it may also just be simple pragmatism since I don't think those balljoints come in light bley anyway :ssh:).

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Almost forgot to mention this fairly ominous Reddit post:

Mark Stafford posted:

This is currently a single production run - I'm not sure of the figures - but if you see it and you want it then buy it, at the moment when it's gone it's gone for good. Don't be disappointed.

I don't know how the Exo-Suit will sell, but the lack of a brand name worries me. AFAIK, the Curiosity Rover still hasn't been re-upped, so a single production run seems like a real possibility.

On a semi-related note: as much as I love the idea of classic green spacemen, I'm probably going to fill out the suit with the Neo-Classic spaceman from Minifig Series 1. Just seems more color-cohesive that way.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

Odd request: I'm looking for a gift for my sister and brother in law in the $50-60 range. They're both gigantic nerds and have lamented their lack of Lego models, so we'd like to get them a Lego set. I'm thinking Star Was/Hobbit/superheroes but I'm not really that familiar with the licensed lines. What's a really fun build in that range?

Bag End from the Hobbit is $70 but it's a great build and a nice little display piece for a shelf. I got one for my brother and he loved it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

smackfu posted:

Bag End from the Hobbit is $70 but it's a great build and a nice little display piece for a shelf. I got one for my brother and he loved it.

Seconding this. It's one of my favorite sets because it's a contained diorama that even people who don't like Lego find neat.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Optimist Prime posted:

Mark Stafford, the guy who worked on adjusting the Exo-Suit for release, went on Reddit and posted an explanation for some of his choices. All things considered, they did a good job of removing a lot of the little features that seemed either unnecessary or way too fragile. It might not look quite as cool as the original did, but it seems like its going to be much more pose-able than Emmet's mech. It's just too bad they made no effort to redesign the classic helmet, but after the explanation on the green suit I get the impression that these guys are just working with whatever they can get from the factory.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like all the changes except the barrel (which is well explained and nothing can be done about it) and the exhaust pipe thingies at the top of the model.. it changes the silhouette in a bad way. Fortunately that looks easy to fix.

The use of the blue technic bits are unfortunate too but that should be easy to fix from my own stockpile.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The thing about the blue technic pins is they are extremely strong compared to other technic pins in different colors. I'm not sure if it helps the structural integrity of the model, but they're certainly more useful than light grey pins which are the floppiest floppers ever.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Captain Invictus posted:

The thing about the blue technic pins is they are extremely strong compared to other technic pins in different colors. I'm not sure if it helps the structural integrity of the model, but they're certainly more useful than light grey pins which are the floppiest floppers ever.

They look like the 3L friction pins which also come in black.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah and you pose one of those black guys it ain't ever gonna move.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The Fairground Mixer's dunk tank cage has given me the piece inspiration to restart one of my projects that had stalled. A model of the USS Cygnus, from the 1979 Disney film The Black Hole. The thing that had tripped me up was coming up with a good design for the external latticework that didn't sacrifice too much on detail, but also wouldn't result in the model's scale being too massive. Now I think I've got the what I need to make it work, and I'm stoked as hell!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

Blue and black are specifically friction pins, while light bley is specifically for spinning elements like wheels. They're color-coded to avoid guesswork in technic builds I suppose.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Built the rover today, first build I've ever found nerve-wracking. Technically very fun but all the tiny little pieces towards the end made me feel like I was going to break it into bits as I was putting it together.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Perfect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Is this Lego subtly announcing the '66 Batmobile?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

The_Doctor posted:

Is this Lego subtly announcing the '66 Batmobile?

I wish. Just me havin fun!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

AllisonByProxy posted:

I wish. Just me havin fun!

It's not without a bit of precedent:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So those yellow spacemen...

Are they space nudists?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The_Doctor posted:

It's not without a bit of precedent:

Um, where's the boat!? HELLO!?!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

So those yellow spacemen...

Are they space nudists?

They're yellow, that's clearly engineering.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So as a result of a store promotion I have two of those build your own minifig boxes to fill. It's six heads, torsos, legs, hats/hair and accessories to make six minifigs total. It has to be done today and I'm not in the mood to sit in stores jortsing about making six great figs. So I'm gonna grab all the parts at random and then try to make six cohesive figures with them, whatever they are. Good idea?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Optimist Prime posted:

At least two of those (not sure about the Galaxy Squad set) were designed by Mark Stafford, who is pretty much TLG's "Mech Guy" so I guess it makes sense he was overseeing it.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I might try swapping in two of the new 2x2 ridged round bricks for the barrels on the exosuit. I realize that now the forearms will be two pieces and therefore less sturdy but I'll probably give it a shot since I think it will look much better.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
My Lego store is getting the Exo suit 5 days before anyone else's :getin:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I read the reddit description properly, there's an axle in the barrel. So the swap should be pretty sturdy if you extend the axle all the way through.

Too bad I only have those pieces in white. :v:

The original smooth style might look good too. Using 2x2 round plates would allow a bunch of options for greebling.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The exo-suit will be a single run set. Once it's gone, it's gone. :ohdear:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Well, they said that's true for now. Although it doesn't seem like they're planning on making any more of the curiosity rover... so I'm glad I got that when I did.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
I think overall the mech looks better - I like the roll-cage and don't really mind the barrels at all. I actually like it when parts are repurposed in new ways like that. One thing I haven't seen anyone mention - the flesh-coloured minifig head! I thought flesh-colour skin was only for representations of real humans (so all the licensed sets - Star Wars, Ghost Busters, etc), and all the regular Lego themes (City, Space, etc) had yellow skin. So why the flesh-coloured mech pilot? Seems weird that they are specifically referencing classic Lego Space and yet not matching the skin colour. I guess you can just swap out the head though.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Oh wait now I see the other pictures, they have yellow skin... I guess it was just the concepts that had flesh-colour, copying the original Idea idea.
http://brickset.com/article/11670

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

xzzy posted:

If I read the reddit description properly, there's an axle in the barrel. So the swap should be pretty sturdy if you extend the axle all the way through.

Too bad I only have those pieces in white. :v:

The original smooth style might look good too. Using 2x2 round plates would allow a bunch of options for greebling.

I think there's a lightsaber rod from the hand and an axle from the elbow, hence why they wanted to forearm to be one piece. But stacked round plates are a good idea for greebling purposes and probably stronger than stacked round bricks.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

door Door door posted:

I think there's a lightsaber rod from the hand and an axle from the elbow, hence why they wanted to forearm to be one piece. But stacked round plates are a good idea for greebling purposes and probably stronger than stacked round bricks.

I think the lightsaber rod can go through the 1x1 round with open center, if you put that in between the 2x2 round plates/dishes as well you could make a really solid arm that would look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

The_Doctor posted:

drat, I guess I'm staying up for a midnight release on Shop@Home to beat the resellers. I wonder if VIPs will get early access.