Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Okay after looking at the Funny Panels thread I'm definitely getting Rat Queens. Deadly Class and Wicked + Divine look interesting, might try a couple issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Hickman Marvel stuff (which seems really really difficult to get into, honestly) I have no idea what's currently good in funnybooks.

His FF stuff is pretty accessible and it's in trade.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So basically the only comic I'm actively reading right now is Saga. It is extremely hard to wait for new issues of Saga (partly because it's just that loving good, and partly because it consistently leaves off on huge cliffhangers). Is there anything else on that level of quality currently running that I can use to pass the time in between Saga issues?

I'm aware that Sex Criminals is dope as hell, but haven't gotten around to it, and I'm waiting for Warren Ellis' Moon Knight to come out as a TPB since it's only 6 issues, but other than that and the Hickman Marvel stuff (which seems really really difficult to get into, honestly) I have no idea what's currently good in funnybooks.

Image is the place to go at the moment. I would recommend Manhattan Projects by writer Jonathan Hickman and artist Nick Pitarra. Think scientists like Einstein getting up to mad scientists, it just gets weirder and weirder and is a lot of fun. Also by Hickman, with art by Nick Dragotta, is East of West, an unusual Western about the four horsemen of the apocalypse set where America has split into several different nations such as the Union and Kingdom of Louisiana.

There is also Prophet a continuation of an old Liefeld property (only not really). Written by by Brandon Graham it has art by a lot of great artists. Set in the far future, it's kind of a space Conan, with an almost contemplative tone. Similarly, there was also Glory, also based on an old Lifeld property. It's not quite as good but is still worth a read and just wrapped up. Southern Bastards, an ode to the south of the USA by writer Chris Brunner and artist Rico Renzi, has only just started but is great. I can also recommend Sex Criminals and Pretty Deadly. Shutter seems ok.

There is The Unwritten written by Mike Carey with art by Peter Gross, published by Vertigo. It's idea is to take Christopher Robin (who in real life hated being the basis for a Winnie the Pooh character) but instead make that person the inspiration for for Harry Potter. It explores a lot of genre and fiction and is winding up. There's also the mini series The Wake by writer Scott Snyder and artist Sean Murphy, about the discovery of a mermaid. The art is good and it shifted into an unusual gear halfway through but it hasn't quite grabbed me.

The current run of Wonder Woman has also been pretty good.

Ruptured Yakety Sax fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 18, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

zoux posted:

His FF stuff is pretty accessible and it's in trade.

Like, I want to read it, but it's long as poo poo, I don't have Marvel Unlimited, and my wallet is small. :smith:

I've heard good things about Unwritten (though the fact that it crosses over with Fables, which has been hot garbage for a very long time, is mildly turning me off) and I definitely want to check out Prophet and Glory at some point, since I remember hearing both are super great.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

SALT CURES HAM posted:

it crosses over with Fables, which has been hot garbage for a very long time, is mildly turning me off

Yeah don't read that part, it's completely missable and not very good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Like, I want to read it, but it's long as poo poo, I don't have Marvel Unlimited, and my wallet is small. :smith:

I've heard good things about Unwritten (though the fact that it crosses over with Fables, which has been hot garbage for a very long time, is mildly turning me off) and I definitely want to check out Prophet and Glory at some point, since I remember hearing both are super great.

Just pay for a month of unlimited and make sure you cancel it before it charges you again.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So basically the only comic I'm actively reading right now is Saga. It is extremely hard to wait for new issues of Saga (partly because it's just that loving good, and partly because it consistently leaves off on huge cliffhangers). Is there anything else on that level of quality currently running that I can use to pass the time in between Saga issues?

This was basically my request to everyone a few posts back - also finding it insanely difficult to wait each month for Saga, and especially between each arc. I took the advice and picked up issues of Velvet, Rat Queens, Southern Bastards, Trees, and The Wicked + The Divine (which #1 came out today). So far, I'm 3 issues into Velvet and loving every second of it (can't go wrong with Brubaker and crime stories) and will finish the last 2 tonight. Trees #1 was a slow start but very intriguing, with #2 coming out next week. The Wicked & The Divine was very different and not really something I'd have thought twice about, but certainly has more to offer than it's cover may suggest. All have fantastic artwork, particularly Velvet.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Hey thanks for this

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wow, thanks so much for the recommendations of Wicked + Divine and Deadly Class. I really dig the hell out of both of those.

Also if anyone could recommend some gritty realistic Superhero books that'd be great.

I've read pretty much I think all of Warren Ellis's stuff for Avatar, No Heroes etc.. I mean pretty much all the major stuff but things in that vein.

I like stuff like Irredeemable and it's sister books, Astro City, the boys etc..

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 20, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Also if anyone could recommend some gritty realistic Superhero books that'd be great.

When you say realistic what sense do you mean? Are you looking for street level gritty stuff? Realistic powers or realistic reactions to powers and the problems they bring?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Identity Crisis. :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hollismason posted:

Wow, thanks so much for the recommendations of Wicked + Divine and Deadly Class. I really dig the hell out of both of those.

I've read pretty much I think all of Warren Ellis's stuff for Avatar, No Heroes etc.. I mean pretty much all the major stuff but things in that vein.

I like stuff like Irredeemable and it's sister books, Astro City, the boys etc..

Bendis/Maleev on Daredevil.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A while back I asked for a pretty specific recommendation (female lead,a mature comic but not overtly sexualized, some action but explicitly not a costumed adventurer) and I was told to read Alias.

Alias was perfect, exactly what I wanted, loved it. My question this time is much easier: is the sequel series "the pulse" also good? If I loved Alias will I like The Pulse?

SMP
May 5, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

A while back I asked for a pretty specific recommendation (female lead,a mature comic but not overtly sexualized, some action but explicitly not a costumed adventurer) and I was told to read Alias.

Alias was perfect, exactly what I wanted, loved it. My question this time is much easier: is the sequel series "the pulse" also good? If I loved Alias will I like The Pulse?

I just finished Alias as well, then read the Pulse. Honestly it's not very focused on Jessica Jones OR Luke Cage. It's pretty much the Ben Ulrich show. It's pretty different and only alright.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I loved Alias, but dropped The Pulse after a few issues.

In the early 2000's, Marvel had a miniseries called Deadline about a female Daily Bugle reporter investigating a mystery. I think it was only 4 issues, but that character Cat Farell, shows up in the Pulse. I think Deadline was a better story than the first arc of The Pulse, but I'm also not sure how easy it is to find.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Soonmot posted:

I loved Alias, but dropped The Pulse after a few issues.

In the early 2000's, Marvel had a miniseries called Deadline about a female Daily Bugle reporter investigating a mystery. I think it was only 4 issues, but that character Cat Farell, shows up in the Pulse. I think Deadline was a better story than the first arc of The Pulse, but I'm also not sure how easy it is to find.

I also loved Deadline, and Kat Farrell was a great character who never got used much again. The series also has some beautiful Guy Davis interior art, a shocking difference from the Greg Horn covers.

Jack B Nimble, I think you'd also love Ed Brubaker's Catwoman series from the early 2000s. It's a mainstream DC book (not Vertigo), but there is definitely some mature content -- it's a stylish crime-noir book that recasts Catwoman as an antihero, rather than her usual sexpot vamp villainess portrayal.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The Pulse is the Ben Urich show but has a lot of Jessica and Luke moments, including the birth of Danielle which I think is pretty important for the characters. It works better alongside Secret War and the Bendis Avengers books that were coming out at the time. It's also got Bendis doing some great moments like Osborn being confronted, Peter and Ben discussing Spider-Man and the whole D-Man plot. And Gaydos goes on art for a bit.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What are some good story arcs that feature Moon Knight that are on Unlimited? I have the most recent series.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I don't have Unlimited but if they have the Charlie Huston stuff up there, that was quite good. Otherwise you could check the Moench/Sienkiewicz stuff.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I've started reading Judge Dredd, after getting interested in it with the recent Dredd movie. I'm currently reading the Complete Case Files 05 of Judge Dredd. I really like the pulpy action of the book, mixed with the future setting.

1) What are some other collections of Judge Dredd that are worth reading?

2) What are other 2000 AD books, or books similar to Dredd, that I should check out?

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I would like to read a comic with Dr Doom in it he seems like a pretty cool guy.
What series would you guys suggest?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's a supporting character in it, but Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four run is great. Doom actually joins the team for a while.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 6, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rock rock posted:

I would like to read a comic with Dr Doom in it he seems like a pretty cool guy.
What series would you guys suggest?

I think it's the Mark Waid Fantastic Four run where Doom sacrifices the soul of a woman who loved him so he could make magical leather armor from her skin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Books of Doom is a really good modernized version of his origin story, and Dr. Strange & Dr. Doom: Triumph and Torment is a great Doom story that happens to have Dr. Strange in it not doing much.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

prefect posted:

I think it's the Mark Waid Fantastic Four run where Doom sacrifices the soul of a woman who loved him so he could make magical leather armor from her skin.

Mark Waid's FF is good but if you want an even slightly sympathetic Doom you should look elsewhere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I like nice long runs I can read a few issues of before bed every couple of days.

The sale they had on Ultimate Spider-Man on Comixology not too long ago was perfect, since that was like 200 issues of stuff. I know nothing else from DC or Marvel is going to have that long a run, but something that can occupy a few weeks would be good.

Spider-Man or X-Men would be cool, I have plenty of Avengers stuff. Really anything from DC works too since the only thing from there I've read in a long time was Johns' Green Lantern up to around Brightest Day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I really like Starman from DC. It clocks in at 75 issues or so.

I haven't read it, but hear great things about Simonson's Thor run.

Claremont was on X-Men for about 100 years and that stuff is generally well regarded.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

I like nice long runs I can read a few issues of before bed every couple of days.

The sale they had on Ultimate Spider-Man on Comixology not too long ago was perfect, since that was like 200 issues of stuff. I know nothing else from DC or Marvel is going to have that long a run, but something that can occupy a few weeks would be good.

Spider-Man or X-Men would be cool, I have plenty of Avengers stuff. Really anything from DC works too since the only thing from there I've read in a long time was Johns' Green Lantern up to around Brightest Day.

Chris Claremont's run on x-men. He did uncanny x-men 94-280, x-men 1-3, wolverine mini series and start of his solo run, Excalibur, new mutants, and a poo poo load of x related minis. Just do not read anything by him post 92

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I think the complete Grant Morrison Batman saga is over 80 comics.

e: And if you really wanna go hard, you could include Final Crisis in there and Seven Soldiers to prep for Final Crisis. That'd be well over 100 issues of Gmo goodness.

ee: and every one of Kirby's Fourth World comics to prep for those. Yeah!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 6, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Looking over at my own shelf, I'd recommend Roger Stern's run on Spider-Man (he was on Spectacular first, then switched over to Amazing), John Byrne's run on Fantastic Four (it's great, even if Byrne is an unimaginable prat), Peter David's run on the Hulk, and Geoff Johns's run on JSA (Johns runs hot and cold for me, but JSA is one of my favourite things ever).

Unfortunately I'm not really into digital and I'm really bad with issue numbers so I'm afraid I can't tell you much about where to start and stop. Sorry.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Walt Simonson's Thor

Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol

Grant Morrison's BatSaga

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing

Ennis' Punisher Max

Exiles up until Claremont takes over

Hellboy/BPRD

JLA (Morrison->Waid->Kelly)/ JLElite (Kelly)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Has Marvel done anything comparable to DC's Gotham Central?

I know dick all about comics, but I know the following:

1) I enjoyed Gotham Central. I liked that it didn't shy from being bleak but in ways that were relatable to the everyday human condition. When you feel like maybe it'd be better if Batman didn't intervene somewhere and instead the ugly alternative played out and you have to question your commitment to certain fundamental values, that's pretty cool.

2) Meanwhile the standard that I see in comics and especially if I'm looking to get into the giant stable of Marvel dudes is "and then so and so went to space and resurrected a baby villain from an alternate dimension and sent him back in time."

So if there's something fairly street level, grounded in reality and not terribly eyerolling, I'd be curious. I read a little of the 2006 Moon Knight and it was probably the upper limit I could handle on eyerolling stuff. I saw just a tiny bit in the forums of what I guess is the new run and it looked kinda cool? It doesn't have to be Batman or "Marvel Presents Psychotic Batman in White." I'm also into con artists, politics, spies, conspiracies, assassins, terrorists, heists -- just stuff that adds a bit of the fantastical to reality rather than time-traveling robot demons.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I know dick all about comics, but I know the following:

1) I enjoyed Gotham Central. I liked that it didn't shy from being bleak but in ways that were relatable to the everyday human condition. When you feel like maybe it'd be better if Batman didn't intervene somewhere and instead the ugly alternative played out and you have to question your commitment to certain fundamental values, that's pretty cool.

2) Meanwhile the standard that I see in comics and especially if I'm looking to get into the giant stable of Marvel dudes is "and then so and so went to space and resurrected a baby villain from an alternate dimension and sent him back in time."

So if there's something fairly street level, grounded in reality and not terribly eyerolling, I'd be curious. I read a little of the 2006 Moon Knight and it was probably the upper limit I could handle on eyerolling stuff. I saw just a tiny bit in the forums of what I guess is the new run and it looked kinda cool? It doesn't have to be Batman or "Marvel Presents Psychotic Batman in White." I'm also into con artists, politics, spies, conspiracies, assassins, terrorists, heists -- just stuff that adds a bit of the fantastical to reality rather than time-traveling robot demons.

Alias and Bendis and Bru Daredevil

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Bendis' Daredevil
Fraction's Hawkeye
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Miller's Daredevil: Born Again
Ennis' Punisher: Born

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 7, 2014

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm also into con artists, politics, spies, conspiracies, assassins, terrorists, heists -- just stuff that adds a bit of the fantastical to reality rather than time-traveling robot demons.
You might want to check out Ales Kot's Zero to see if it interests you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm also into con artists, politics, spies, conspiracies, assassins, terrorists, heists -- just stuff that adds a bit of the fantastical to reality rather than time-traveling robot demons.

Brubaker's Captain America.
The new Moon Knight, though the writer is leaving after the next issue.
Spider-Man's Tangled web Had an issue that was about the cops dealing with the aftermath of a criminal captured by Spider-Man, I think the idea was that Spider-Man involves so many due process violations, that if they can't get an iron clad confession before the public defender shows up, the guy is going to walk. A lot of the other stories are pretty weird, it was an anthology series where they just let writers and artists run hog wild with Spider-Man

There's also probably a bunch of other stuff. Outside of X-Men and Avengers I think Marvel tends to be slightly more grounded than DC comics that aren't set in Gotham City.

Something you might like, that isn't Marvel or DC, Greg Rucka's Queen and Country (it's about British spies, I only read the first couple trades, but there's nothing more fantastical than your average spy film.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Also Brubaker's Sleeper from Wildstorm comics, which I need to reread.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Not really super hero stuff but literally anything Brubaker has done for Image you would probably like.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Senor Candle posted:

Not really super hero stuff but literally anything Brubaker has done for Image you would probably like.

Fatale and...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Fatale and...?

Velvet! I forgot he has only done two there, I should have said any of his indie stuff.