Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

And wasn't there a time when some guy posted photos of his underage niece and her friend he was trying to gently caress or something, and the channers figured out what school it was based on seeing part of the logo on someone's shirt and then contacted local police?

This was posted just today on the talesfrom4chan tumblr: http://i.imgur.com/06ji9du.gif

I think it's the one you mean, no?
Spoilered because it's in the form of those demotivational posters.

Serperoth has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Kavak posted:

But its in danger because they are trying to stop it!1!!!

They are trying to remove God from our National Anthem, share if you disagree!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bananaquiter posted:

They are trying to remove God from our National Anthem, share if you disagree!

So I work for a video channel and we aired some like old rear end movie from 1950-something and there was a scene with the Pledge of Allegiance in it. Apparently this scene offended one of the subscribers to our channel so much he emailed our customer support ranting and raving about how we "edited out 'One nation under God' from the movie." In reality, 'under God' wasn't added until several years after the movie was released. We explained it to the guy, and he basically said that the studio should add in 'under God' to follow the law. I couldn't fathom the level of idiocy it took to think that was something worth getting up in arms over.

hackeychicken
Jul 23, 2003

Oh my god! What have you done to the internet?!

Just noticed the See More is cutoff:

"Maybe we all came into existence yesterday and all of our memories came pre-implanted? I would also say that the night sky is a great document as to how old the universe is. The most distant galaxy that is visible to us is 30 billion light years away so, in essence, we are looking 30 billion years into the past:

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblo...the-milky-.html

The universe is crazy."

Link to the blog:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

That woman is about to die. :ohdear:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
4chan and SA are really not much different. /v/ is pretty much the same as our Games forum, lots of nerds arguing about console wars. /s4s/ and FYAD are both metaboards for shitposting.

A bunch of people here obviously hang out on /a/, too. And for the record, when it comes to anything Tumblr-related (even posting an image with a tumblr filename), they have the same kneejerk reaction you guys do when someone brings up 4chan.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ever notice how rare it is for that sort of sentiment to come from a well-adjusted person?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Excels posted:

4chan and SA are really not much different. /v/ is pretty much the same as our Games forum, lots of nerds arguing about console wars. /s4s/ and FYAD are both metaboards for shitposting.

A bunch of people here obviously hang out on /a/, too. And for the record, when it comes to anything Tumblr-related (even posting an image with a tumblr filename), they have the same kneejerk reaction you guys do when someone brings up 4chan.

Actually, goon sir, the difference between 4chan and SA is the paywall!

I paid :10bux: to feel like i'm better than everybody else after all :smug:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

hackeychicken posted:

Just noticed the See More is cutoff:

"Maybe we all came into existence yesterday and all of our memories came pre-implanted? I would also say that the night sky is a great document as to how old the universe is. The most distant galaxy that is visible to us is 30 billion light years away so, in essence, we are looking 30 billion years into the past:

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblo...the-milky-.html

The universe is crazy."

Link to the blog:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

Quick science sidetrack;

I'm a biologist and despite loving physics I think I only grasp it from Cosmos and such. I get that the universe is ~13.7 billion years old, but how can something be 30 billion light years away if its impossible to go faster than light? Even if we are on the exact opposite side of the universe surely it could only be ~27 billion light years away? Is it due to the 'elastication' of the universe everyone is harping on about?

My head hurts.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Excels posted:

What's hilarious is whenever blatant goons post on 4chan, as happened during the forum downtime a couple of weeks ago. Then we all came right back here and bitched about how terrible anons are. :allears:

e; also whatever we might think of each other, I think 4chan and SA can both agree that reddit is infinitely worse.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

also whatever we might think of each other, I think 4chan and SA can both agree that reddit is infinitely worse.

It is going to take something really, really atrocious to topple Reddit as the worst place on the internet. I mean, at least 4chan has put its dues in against posting illegal content, whereas Reddit mods had to be shamed and harassed into shutting down the pedophile subreddits numerous times. (and they still host Red Pill and subreddits about beating your wife so uh, yeah)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
We are, quite literally, not the center of the universe.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Shbobdb posted:

We are, quite literally, not the center of the universe.

Well if the universe is infinite then everywhere is the center.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Ratjaculation posted:

Quick science sidetrack;

I'm a biologist and despite loving physics I think I only grasp it from Cosmos and such. I get that the universe is ~13.7 billion years old, but how can something be 30 billion light years away if its impossible to go faster than light? Even if we are on the exact opposite side of the universe surely it could only be ~27 billion light years away? Is it due to the 'elastication' of the universe everyone is harping on about?

My head hurts.

Yea, it's the estimated present distance when taking into account the expansion of space.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Excels posted:

Moot was a goon that wanted to emulate 2ch for the anglosphere.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Moot was a goon that wanted to emulate 2ch for the anglosphere.

And based on recent threads I've seen regarding 2ch, they still post exactly the same kind of stuff as /a/ does. It's just got a few extra levels of Cuil Theory mixed in.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Ratjaculation posted:

Quick science sidetrack;

My head hurts.

If the light left that galaxy 10 billion years ago, then it was 10 billion light years away from us at the time the light left that galaxy. In the 10 billion years since that event, the point that the light originated from has been moving away from us.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Excels posted:

It is going to take something really, really atrocious to topple Reddit as the worst place on the internet. I mean, at least 4chan has put its dues in against posting illegal content, whereas Reddit mods had to be shamed and harassed into shutting down the pedophile subreddits numerous times. (and they still host Red Pill and subreddits about beating your wife so uh, yeah)

We do have a anime subforum with some of the worst people out there you know.

Those reddit subpages are scummy and its a shame the main mods were such idiots for being reluctant to shut em down but the little ive read on reddit it's not too bad for instance the World Cup subreddit is decent, I hit up the Dark Souls 2 one, my own city is fine for local stuff.

Saying its ALL poo poo when SA has some terrible stuff as well is kinda weird. The internet is just a loving dumb place.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

...why. I mean, just...why? I post on neither site but from what I know of them this feels like an internet culture literally declaring war on itself. More importantly, how, pray tell, do they intend on destroying 4chan? Drowning it in poor grammar? Pretty sure 4chan already has plenty of stupid and an infinite capacity for more.

It's a little more than just gross things on popular tags, it's also a weird 4chan prank to impersonate SJW types and get them to agree with stupid bullshit that sounds like something they'd like. Last I read they had been uncovered as trying to get a hashtag activism campaign going under #endfathersday. But the upshot has been that now tumblr SJWs fervently believe that not only is anyone that disagrees with them even slightly is cis scum, but also probably a 4chan infiltrator.

theironjef has a new favorite as of 23:22 on Jul 6, 2014

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Vintersorg posted:

We do have a anime subforum with some of the worst people out there you know.

Those reddit subpages are scummy and its a shame the main mods were such idiots for being reluctant to shut em down but the little ive read on reddit it's not too bad for instance the World Cup subreddit is decent, I hit up the Dark Souls 2 one, my own city is fine for local stuff.

Saying its ALL poo poo when SA has some terrible stuff as well is kinda weird. The internet is just a loving dumb place.

there is literally nowhere on SA as bad as redpill. You're seriously retarded if you think a bunch of spergy anime losers are anywhere close to that poo poo.

edit: Like, seriously, it's classified as a hate site by the Southern Poverty Law Center

I Killed GBS has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Jul 6, 2014

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ratjaculation posted:

Quick science sidetrack;

My head hurts.

That person on Facebook got things a little wrong. The oldest galaxy we have confirmed is from light that left it 13.1 billion light years ago. The universe is about 13.7 billion years old.

quote:

By using data collected by the Hubble Space Telescope and observations from the Keck I telescope at the Keck Observatory in Hawaii, astronomers have now confirmed that the galaxy designated z8_GND_5296 formed within 700 million years after the beginning of the universe, making it the oldest and most distant galaxy ever verified.

Because the galaxy is so far from Earth, scientists were able to observe z8_GND_5296 as it would have appeared about 13.1 billion years ago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/23/ancient-galaxy-farthest-oldest_n_4150659.html

But by taking into account movement since the light we are seeing now left that galaxy:

quote:

The light reaching Earth from z8_GND_5296 shows its position over 13 billion years ago, having traveled a distance of more than 13 billion light-years (13 gigalight-years). Due to the expansion of the universe, this position is now at about 30 gigalight-years (9.2 Gpc) (comoving distance) from Earth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z8_GND_5296

Zero One has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Jul 7, 2014

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Pff lookit this guy, believing the mainstream media :smuggo:

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

From a few pages ago but this is about that game tournament allowing women.

He went on for like 50 more posts with the general feminists :argh: stuff but I just love everything about that first one.

Some more from him:

And 99% of the other replies to the article were "why can there be women-only events but not men-only? That's sexist!"

made of bees
May 21, 2013

What's it called when you feel embarrassed on someone else's behalf? Because that's what I getting from the last sentence of that first paragraph.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
How do you go from saying "fat dyke feminists" to saying you're not a "sexist and bigot"

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Account McAccount posted:

From a few pages ago but this is about that game tournament allowing women.

And 99% of the other replies to the article were "why can there be women-only events but not men-only? That's sexist!"

Girls don't understand stupid bullshit that continues to drag down gaming, they can't be real gamers!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Well, all I know is that dude is so not invited to my birthday party to peep my sweet retro gaming collection. Talking 'bout girl's not knowing history…I still own a motherfucking Game Link cable. Beat that, nerds.

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t

made of bees posted:

What's it called when you feel embarrassed on someone else's behalf? Because that's what I getting from the last sentence of that first paragraph.

It's called fremdschämen.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013

Oh, for gently caress's sake. The post, "like" and comment were all done by the same rear end in a top hat.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Alpacalips Now posted:

Oh, for gently caress's sake. The post, "like" and comment were all done by the same rear end in a top hat.

It's Return of Kings and it's garbage for sure, but this is just making me more depressed. I've reached critical mass of Douchehole McFuckSticks, think I need to turn off the internet for a few days.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
So what does that article try to argue? Because I have a feeling my brain will melt if I try to seek it out and read it.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Courtesy of a group called "Nation in distress."

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I just found out about Return of Kings thanks to this thread, and it's just Really elaborate satire, and I'm just missing the joke right? No one would honestly write a genuine article called "5 Reasons to Date a Girl With an Eating Disorder" right? Right?! :smith:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Courtesy of a group called "Nation in distress."

Hahaha, if you think this is good, I've got this original bit where I turn the car brand "Fiat" into an acronym

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Don't circumcise women. Not even a little bit. Like, that thing where they just remove the clitoral hood? Still terrible.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Am I allowed to use the term "uselessly retarded shittycunted dickfaced cumguzzling assmunchers who gently caress their mothers"? Because that describes the last few people posted, but I don't really want to get in trouble.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

Am I allowed to use the term "uselessly retarded shittycunted dickfaced cumguzzling assmunchers who gently caress their mothers"? Because that describes the last few people posted, but I don't really want to get in trouble.

Well, I've been looking at this clipboard for a few minutes, and if you drop the "retarded" part, you should be just fine.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I just found out about Return of Kings thanks to this thread, and it's just Really elaborate satire, and I'm just missing the joke right? No one would honestly write a genuine article called "5 Reasons to Date a Girl With an Eating Disorder" right? Right?! :smith:

You clearly have never heard of Roosh V, who is the curator of that fine hate group and well known master PUApist so yes, unfortunately it is very, VERY genuine.

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
I'd say that if you stepped on a colostomy bag and recorded the resultant squelching, squishing sounds, and then you ran the recording through a voice-to-text program, you'd probably get something close to a Return of Kings article.

• Locked thread