Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ola posted:

Test drove the e-Golf the other day. It was excellent. Great to have adjustable regen braking as well. You move the shifter sideways to select three leves of regen. Then if you pull it towards you, you get a fourth level with a lot of regen. Perfect for long downhills. If it's braking a little bit too much, just give it a bit of gas. Is this common for all EVs?

The Leaf has two levels of regenerative braking (A- and B-mode), don't know about other EVs.

I'm actually excited for my drive to work tomorrow because it'll give me a chance to take the Leaf for a proper drive, what's wrong with me :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Cadillac ELR has a nice little paddles on the steering wheel for added regen. It's in a nice spot that allows you to not even have to take your hands off the wheel. You can pretty much use only regen instead of the brakes, too.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Boten Anna posted:

That's what I'm having a hard time figuring out. What plug do I even buy at Home Depot?

I've changed wall sockets before and most of these adapters are surprisingly expensive anyway; I may just go with wolrah's suggestion.

Maybe take a picture of the outlet and bring that in to compare? I'm finding both 15 and 50 amp plugs online that look like they'd work so, yeah, you might just replace the outlet.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Advent Horizon posted:

Maybe take a picture of the outlet and bring that in to compare? I'm finding both 15 and 50 amp plugs online that look like they'd work so, yeah, you might just replace the outlet.

This is the socket. Can't see it to well but it says NEMA 6-30 on the bottom:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

The Leaf has two levels of regenerative braking (A- and B-mode), don't know about other EVs.

Do you find yourself leaving it in one mode all the time or do you swap between the two? Before driving the Golf, I hadn't quite realized just how useful regen braking was. The throttle is a rheostat which basically allows you to maintain constant speed up and down all normal grades of roads without using the brakes. Last weekend we drove a borrowed Mazda 2 through some undersea tunnels. I was able to maintain the speed limit just fine by staying in 2nd gear at around 5000 rpm, nice with a revvy 1.0. But annoyingly, the cars around me couldn't maintain constant speed, they would coast up to 80-90 kph, then brake down to 65, coast up again etc. Very annoying to drive behind. The Golfs cruise control would have been able to maintain constant speed easily and unlike the Mazda 2, it would put fuel back in the tank as well.

If only I needed a car I would get one.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ola posted:

Do you find yourself leaving it in one mode all the time or do you swap between the two? Before driving the Golf, I hadn't quite realized just how useful regen braking was. The throttle is a rheostat which basically allows you to maintain constant speed up and down all normal grades of roads without using the brakes. Last weekend we drove a borrowed Mazda 2 through some undersea tunnels. I was able to maintain the speed limit just fine by staying in 2nd gear at around 5000 rpm, nice with a revvy 1.0. But annoyingly, the cars around me couldn't maintain constant speed, they would coast up to 80-90 kph, then brake down to 65, coast up again etc. Very annoying to drive behind. The Golfs cruise control would have been able to maintain constant speed easily and unlike the Mazda 2, it would put fuel back in the tank as well.

If only I needed a car I would get one.

I've only had the Leaf for three days. :) So far I haven't used B-mode at all except for a quick test run; the amount of braking you get in A-mode is fine for driving on flat terrain, which describes my daily commute perfectly.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Ola posted:

I was able to maintain the speed limit just fine by staying in 2nd gear at around 5000 rpm, nice with a revvy 1.0.

Why would you do this?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Ola posted:

Do you find yourself leaving it in one mode all the time or do you swap between the two?

I use B-mode 100% of the time. I came to the Leaf from a stick shift and would honestly like even more regenerative braking (and why in the hell did they program in stoplight creep?!).

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

I use B-mode 100% of the time. I came to the Leaf from a stick shift and would honestly like even more regenerative braking (and why in the hell did they program in stoplight creep?!).

Even on smooth ice, it is just better to use Eco mode than that creep. Would like way more regen to a stop. Easy mode driving, but it feel much more immediate and that is what I prefer.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I can't tell for sure on m Volt, but judging by the regen numbers shown, it looks like slight brake pedal pressure ups the regen amount. The window is small between that and applying normal brake pads though. Is this correct or am I making stuff up?

Also, for the L6-30 issue, just put in a new outlet. <$12 from amazon for one vs 2-3 times that to buy/build an adapter cable.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Hillridge posted:

I can't tell for sure on m Volt, but judging by the regen numbers shown, it looks like slight brake pedal pressure ups the regen amount. The window is small between that and applying normal brake pads though. Is this correct or am I making stuff up?

Also, for the L6-30 issue, just put in a new outlet. <$12 from amazon for one vs 2-3 times that to buy/build an adapter cable.

The window isn't huge, but it's enough that it only takes a week or so before you can reliably use the regen without engaging the pads. After two and a half years my front pads are at ~15mm and my rear are at ~13mm, at this rate they won't need to be replaced for another two and a half years.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hillridge posted:

Even in "L" mode, you still have a bit more regen available with the brake pedal. Not much, but its there. (At higher speeds, and on inclines, you have a great deal more reserve regen available.)

And agreed with everything regarding stoplight creep. Engineering to the lowest common denominator, there.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 7, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

An idiot posted this.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I can understand using B-mode regen breaking in the city, but surely you guys don't use it for freeway or highway? It seems to me it'd be better to have it off, so that you slow less when your foot comes off the accelerator and you preserve more of your speed - less energy to speed back up again.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mortanis posted:

I can understand using B-mode regen breaking in the city, but surely you guys don't use it for freeway or highway? It seems to me it'd be better to have it off, so that you slow less when your foot comes off the accelerator and you preserve more of your speed - less energy to speed back up again.

I use it in traffic, basically. I also drive almost exclusively with the cruise control. It's a lot more precise and thrifty than I am.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Phuzun posted:

Even on smooth ice, it is just better to use Eco mode than that creep. Would like way more regen to a stop. Easy mode driving, but it feel much more immediate and that is what I prefer.

I use ECO mode. It still creeps.

If you look down and don't keep firm pedal pressure it's really easy to start moving and not realize it.

I was in the parade on the 4th and, honestly, the creep was dangerous. I had my foot on the brake pedal for an hour and a half straight.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's probably that way for the same reason CVTs have simulated shift points. To keep people from being freaked out because it isn't the same as what they had before. Also I bet they want people to be sure to keep on the brakes at a red light for safety purposes.
I wonder if it's something the dealer can reprogram though eh?

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
Stop light creep is the biggest new thing for me. I used to drive a manual so I would just sit on a flat road with no pedal pressed. Now when I let off the brake the car wants to move forward :(

On good news I got my Volt report! Saved 25 gallons of gas and used 30 KWh per 100 miles driven. Meaning the 730 miles I drove the last month (all in EV mode) I used 219 KWh. At 15 cents a KWh, I spent 32.85 for the month figuring normal 91 (which my old car preferred) those 25 gallons would have been 100 dollars (4 bucks a gallon). I saved $67.15! I don't think I will ever go back to a pure Dino powered car ever again!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I have the poor scrub model of the Leaf so when I want faux-B mode I have to turn ECO mode on. I find that in surface street traffic I sometimes end up "stance dancing" a lot so I can start off the line quickly with no ECO but then turn it on when coasting toward a red light.

I do love my car but I haven't even had it a full month and I'm looking at setting up a savings account for something with better features when the lease is up. Hoping that someone makes something in 2017 that I would be happy outright buying instead of just leasing.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

I use ECO mode. It still creeps.

If you look down and don't keep firm pedal pressure it's really easy to start moving and not realize it.

I was in the parade on the 4th and, honestly, the creep was dangerous. I had my foot on the brake pedal for an hour and a half straight.

In regards to starting on ice, the creep doesn't seem to be needed. With ECO, you can start slowly/smoothly without spinning all over the place and without triggering the traction control. I'm not sure why it is there beyond making it seem more like a gas engined car and forcing you to use brakes. This is something that could and should be an easily changeable option.

Boten Anna posted:

I have the poor scrub model of the Leaf so when I want faux-B mode I have to turn ECO mode on. I find that in surface street traffic I sometimes end up "stance dancing" a lot so I can start off the line quickly with no ECO but then turn it on when coasting toward a red light.

I do love my car but I haven't even had it a full month and I'm looking at setting up a savings account for something with better features when the lease is up. Hoping that someone makes something in 2017 that I would be happy outright buying instead of just leasing.

I am happy to lease another EV after my Leaf. If I am going to actually buy an EV, I would like to see it not rely upon other technologies (Cell service in CarWings is a big one to lose) and cheaper or upgradable battery packs. That 24KwH might be good now, but when Nissan releases new battery tech and can get 40KwH in the same space, I'd like to have that as an option without getting a new car. For the most part, EVs are great for long term due to basically no maintenance and how long the motors will last.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 8, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dbhjed posted:

Stop light creep is the biggest new thing for me. I used to drive a manual so I would just sit on a flat road with no pedal pressed. Now when I let off the brake the car wants to move forward :(

Why is stoplight creep a thing? Is it some flaw intrinsic to the design of automatic transmissions that got blindly replicated in EVs or something?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Phuzun posted:

I am happy to lease another EV after my Leaf. If I am going to actually buy an EV, I would like to see it not rely upon other technologies (Cell service in CarWings is a big one to lose) and cheaper or upgradable battery packs. That 24KwH might be good now, but when Nissan releases new battery tech and can get 40KwH in the same space, I'd like to have that as an option without getting a new car. For the most part, EVs are great for long term due to basically no maintenance and how long the motors will last.

Yeah basically I want to outright buy an EV when they're more or less future-proof (there's some kind of standard battery pack that I can replace in a few years when it degrades and there's better/cheaper ones) and it has all the features I could really want. I'm hoping this starts to be the case in 2017 with the Tesla patents being out there for a good amount of time, but not entirely counting on it.

If I save enough and things go well I might look at the Tesla model coming out around then that should be approaching a price tag that is approachable by mere mortals, though that's still gonna be like $40k which is pretty pricey, even with the tax credits that may not even be as good at that time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ToxicFrog posted:

Why is stoplight creep a thing? Is it some flaw intrinsic to the design of automatic transmissions that got blindly replicated in EVs or something?

Yes, exactly that.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Platystemon posted:

Yes, exactly that.

I seem to remember a number of pages ago someone saying that on their Tesla it's just a setting in the config menu somewhere so you can turn it on or off at will. Too bad the other EV's don't seem to have that option.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Acethomas posted:

This might not be the right thread but I've been considering leasing a CR-Z because the pricing seems to be very good right now. I'm wondering if anyone here has considered how it stacks up against other hybrids during their search?

The CR-Z doesn't even compare well to non-hybrid compact cards. Even if you want the gimmick of having a sporty hybrid car with a manual transmission, a Mazda 3 or Ford Focus can be priced cheaper ($14,490-$27,290 and $14,335-$24,995 respectively vs $20,115-$24,780), get almost as good mileage (28/38 and 26/36 respectively vs 31/37), have far more practical capacity (5 passengers vs 2 passengers) and are available with a manual transmission. The CR-Z just doesn't make much sense.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Acethomas posted:

This might not be the right thread but I've been considering leasing a CR-Z because the pricing seems to be very good right now. I'm wondering if anyone here has considered how it stacks up against other hybrids during their search?

I'm going to have to agree with Edward IV, nobody should drive a CR-Z. It's really slow, gets terrible fuel economy for a hybrid, and has only 2 seats. Check out a Mazda 3 hatchback, Fiesta ST, or if you want something that's not way faster than the CR-Z, the Fiesta with the 1 liter Turbo. That one is even rated at 31 city 43 highway, better than the CR-Z.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Squibbles posted:

I seem to remember a number of pages ago someone saying that on their Tesla it's just a setting in the config menu somewhere so you can turn it on or off at will. Too bad the other EV's don't seem to have that option.

The BMW i3 leaves it out completely. I'd guess their manual transmission heritage might have something to do with it.

Anybody else here actually buy their Leaf? It sounds like you all leased it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I assumed leafs would be worth 10k after 3 years so I leased to avoid the soul crushing depreciation. I will buy a ruined battery leaf with 5000 miles on it and replace the battery when my lease is up.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

To be fair, the CR-Z routinely beats its MPG ratings whereas the Mazda and Ford are going to come up short of their ratings in city driving, so real word city mpg might be more like 25mpg vs 34mpg. That said, you still shouldn't buy a CR-Z.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Tacier posted:

To be fair, the CR-Z routinely beats its MPG ratings whereas the Mazda and Ford are going to come up short of their ratings in city driving, so real word city mpg might be more like 25mpg vs 34mpg. That said, you still shouldn't buy a CR-Z.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I already own a Mazda 3 and a Toyota Camry so I've been looking specifically for a 2 seater, and thought the CR-Z might be a fun departure the usual just buy an FRS.
Thanks guys.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Acethomas posted:

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I already own a Mazda 3 and a Toyota Camry so I've been looking specifically for a 2 seater, and thought the CR-Z might be a fun departure the usual just buy an FRS.
Thanks guys.

Don't forget to cross-shop 2009-2013 Miatas with your potential FRS purchase, and if the budget really goes all the way up to an FR-S and you're looking for a track toy you could also find 2011+ V8 Mustangs for the money.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Advent Horizon posted:

I bought mine. I don't know why, since it's not like the math is better. I'm debating trading it in for a latest model before the tax credit expires though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Advent Horizon posted:

The BMW i3 leaves it out completely. I'd guess their manual transmission heritage might have something to do with it.

I did (the 2015 model). I could have leased it, but the math is honestly not good on that, at least here, unless you make some really pessimistic assumptions like a five-year-old Leaf being worth <$5000.

I have now spent two days commuting to and from work in it, and it's pretty great. Getting home two hours earlier doesn't hurt, either. Apparently I picked the wrong week to start driving again, though, because they've dismantled some major intersections around where I work and hosed traffic patterns sideways along my entire commute as a result. :suicide:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 9, 2014

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/supercharging-milestone

quote:

In June, Tesla’s Supercharger network passed a charging milestone, delivering more than 1 GWh of energy to Model S vehicles in a single month. That energy accounts for a collective 3.7 million miles driven, 168,000 gallons of gas saved, and 4.2 million pounds of carbon dioxide offset. That’s like driving to the moon and back seven and a half times, and nixing a day’s worth of CO2 from 73,684 Americans.

Stupid stats, using metric for the large numbers and imperial for the text. Silly americans.

Edit: Happy 158th birthday Nikola Tesla, I guess.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 10, 2014

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

drunkill posted:

quote:

in a single month ... nixing a day’s worth of CO2 from 73,684 Americans.
What a daft measure. I suppose a month's worth of CO2 from 2456 Americans sounds kind of feeble though. 73,684 already sounded pretty weak, like "each car sold can't even come close to CO2-offsetting a single average American." Probably would have been better to just not mention that aspect.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

roomforthetuna posted:

What a daft measure. I suppose a month's worth of CO2 from 2456 Americans sounds kind of feeble though. 73,684 already sounded pretty weak, like "each car sold can't even come close to CO2-offsetting a single average American." Probably would have been better to just not mention that aspect.

yeah but could you imagine if it did have that capability? The entire federal fleet would suddenly be replaced by Teslas and their drivetrains would be going in everything so that the government could claim all those sweet sweet Kyoto credits... ooohhhhh riiiight....

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Has there been any Tesla Model III chat in here yet since the announcement? I've only checked the last two pages. $35,000 in 2017. The last tiime I had heard any major news about it (maybe 2-3 years ago) it was supposed to be <$30,000 and come out in 2015. I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't really consider $35k economical.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

rcman50166 posted:

Has there been any Tesla Model III chat in here yet since the announcement? I've only checked the last two pages. $35,000 in 2017. The last tiime I had heard any major news about it (maybe 2-3 years ago) it was supposed to be <$30,000 and come out in 2015. I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't really consider $35k economical.

It'll still be a luxury vehicle, just at entry-level luxury.

And if the Model S is any indication, options will probably drive the cost immediately north of $40k.

Plus, if EV tax credits are still in effect, $35,000 would drop to lower than 30k after taxes. It's essentially priced to compete with the Volt (and other entry-level luxury cars like the 3-series).

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

rcman50166 posted:

I'll be very interested to see if there's a 2-door version. I can't imagine how doors 20% smaller than those on the Model S would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Falcon wing doors, like the model x.

• Locked thread