Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gensuki posted:

Is Batterskull really a good card? I mean, Legacy is the format where basically everything is legal right? It just seems weird that a 5 mana 4/4 would see much play. (I know its appeal is also the vigilance/lifelink and not actually being a creature, but still?)

Or is it just that It is one of the better equipments to tutor with a Stoneforge mystic?

Vigilant lifelink tutorable, is a creature or can make another creature huge and can protect itself with self bounce. It is very very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Gensuki posted:

Is Batterskull really a good card? I mean, Legacy is the format where basically everything is legal right? It just seems weird that a 5 mana 4/4 would see much play. (I know its appeal is also the vigilance/lifelink and not actually being a creature, but still?)

Or is it just that It is one of the better equipments to tutor with a Stoneforge mystic?

The decks that run Batterskull in Legacy don't run it as a 5 mana 4/4, they run it as a 1W 4/4 with Flash that can't be countered.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Then let's divert that creative energy to the :siren:CUBE DESIGN CHALLENGE:siren:!

The challenge: create an introductory product for Cube! not-so Fabulous prizes await!

Just quoting this to a new page.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Challenge Accepted. I've needed something stupid to procrastinate on this week.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

The Lord of Hats posted:

i guess i'll try this even though I might not finish submitting anything

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

pretty sure it needs a square for 'is basically a time walk'

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I believe there is a 13 year old at the semi finals of this SCG open.

He's playing burn. :allears:

EDIT: rules question. Is there a functional difference between the templating of sulfuric vortex ("if a player would gain life, they gain no life instead") and skullcrack ("players can't gain life").

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 7, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Boxman posted:

Tragically, the kid lost game 1 after making a simple play mistake - he failed to float mana before Fireblasting.

quote:

EDIT: rules question. Is there a functional difference between the templating of sulfuric vortex ("if a player would gain life, they gain no life instead") and skullcrack ("players can't gain life").

It interacts with Lich in that the affected player can choose which replacement effect to apply.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Boxman posted:

Yes, the first is a replacement effect, which is subject to ordering if multiple simultaneous replacement effects apply, depending on player etc.

The other adjusts the rules so that the damage is never produced, in a can't overrules can kind of way.

Imagine a card that says

If your opponent would gain life, you gain that much life instead.

If that card were in play different things would happen iirc if vortex or skullcrack applied and your opponent hit you with a lifelinker.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Entropic posted:

Also consider Birds of Paradise?

Boxman posted:

One is a replacement effect, and the other stops an effect? So I think that if there's a card that says "whenever you gain life, you gain a poison counter" then sulfuric vortex would give you delicious poison, and Skullcrack would stop it?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Tragically, the kid lost game 1 after making a simple play mistake - he failed to float mana before Fireblasting.

It interacts with Lich in that the affected player can choose which replacement effect to apply.

Yeah. But he was dead that game anyway.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I didn't think about competing replacement effects. Thanks everyone.

Also, how much is little Charlie going to get for a 3rd place finish at an open?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Poor kid.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bugsy posted:

Poor kid.

Meh. I'd take an scg open top 4.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Boxman posted:

Also, how much is little Charlie going to get for a 3rd place finish at an open?

People tend to split a lot. Especially top 4. If you really want to tilt someone refuse to split, and if you REALLY want to gently caress with them, propose an all or nothing split where winner gets both purses.

e: probably about a grand

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Bugsy posted:

Poor kid.

He should have known his opponent had Batterskull in hand when he cast Stoneforge and did not search for anything. Kind of confused why he didn't try and kill the Mystic immediately.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Boxman posted:

$600.00 for 3rd and 4th.

2nd gets 1200.00 and 1st gets 2400.00.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Entropic posted:

Just sayin, but a chart of topic cycling like this exists for more or less every megathread, whether actually in image form or just in theory.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bugsy posted:

$600.00 for 3rd and 4th.

2nd gets 1200.00 and 1st gets 2400.00.

That's not bad. That gets him like 2-7 cards into a top-tier deck's manabase. :v:

gently caress Legacy has gotten expensive.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LGD posted:

That's not bad. That gets him like 2-7 cards into a top-tier deck's manabase. :v:

gently caress Legacy has gotten expensive.

Legacy Burn is still cheap. Sort of.

I have hope.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Boxman posted:

rules question. Is there a functional difference between the templating of sulfuric vortex ("if a player would gain life, they gain no life instead") and skullcrack ("players can't gain life").

If you control Sulfuric Vortex, you can still cast Invigorate for its alternate cost. If you control Leyline of Punishment, you can't.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
First three turns of the SCG Open Legacy Finals:

Tundra
Wasteland the tundra
Tundra
Wasteland the tundra
Tundra
Wasteland the tundra

I love legacy.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Just sayin, but a chart of topic cycling like this exists for more or less every megathread, whether actually in image form or just in theory.

This. Is. Asperger's.

I really hope legacy doesnt die off.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Minority Deport posted:

First three turns of the SCG Open Legacy Finals:

Tundra
Wasteland the tundra
Tundra
Wasteland the tundra
Tundra
Wasteland the tundra

I love legacy.

I laughed harder than I have at like... any other Legacy opening in an SGC event ever.

Truly ~MaGicaL~

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
$600 might as well be $50,000 for a 13-year old (at least it would have been to 13-year old me) so good for him.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Delver mirror's can be the weirdest poo poo depending on the draw. And you can see just how much legacy can do on 1-2 mana.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

$600 might as well be $50,000 for a 13-year old (at least it would have been to 13-year old me) so good for him.

It would have been for me too. And it will still be if he doesn't spend it on Magic, but if he plays Legacy he has deal with what it costs now. Which is really too bad, as it's a great format- I got into it (well Type 1.5, back when Type 1.5 was a horrible joke) when a friend sold me his old extended Countersliver deck with a mostly complete set of blue duals and Forces for ~$120. Those sorts of deals aren't really available anymore. :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

always be closing posted:

This. Is. Asperger's.

Really?

Stoomie
Sep 16, 2008

Stop.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

This is from a while back, but tzirean:

I wonder, do you have a decklist for the Soul Sisters variant you were streaming last week after your vintage masters draft? I really liked what was going on with your Dust Elementals and Stormfront Riders.
(Sorry, I don't have PMs...)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wheh, I just found out the new stack rules apparently nerf Voracious Cobra, an old favorite of mine.

From the Gatherer comments:
    If you play online you cannot ignore new rules, but here's what happens if two bears block this guy.

When first strike damage is dealt you must assign 2 damage to one bear because one damage is not lethal damage(1). So one bear dies, the other dosn't and kills this when normal damage is assigned.

(1) It doesn't matter that that damge has deadly side effects, combat damage is assigned from blocker to blocker that way. Excpet in case we have the keyword deathtouch.

This accurate?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Rinkles posted:

Wheh, I just found out the new stack rules apparently nerf Voracious Cobra, an old favorite of mine.

From the Gatherer comments:
    If you play online you cannot ignore new rules, but here's what happens if two bears block this guy.

When first strike damage is dealt you must assign 2 damage to one bear because one damage is not lethal damage(1). So one bear dies, the other dosn't and kills this when normal damage is assigned.

(1) It doesn't matter that that damge has deadly side effects, combat damage is assigned from blocker to blocker that way. Excpet in case we have the keyword deathtouch.

This accurate?

Yes. It doesn't have Deathtouch, so it has to assign all of it's damage to the first blocker until it becomes lethal (in this case 2).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Yes. It doesn't have Deathtouch, so it has to assign all of it's damage to the first blocker until it becomes lethal (in this case 2).

So, if this was a regular 2/2 I couldn't decide to do 1 damage to each bear, and then use a -1/-1 to all spell to kill both after combat (my bear having already died)?

Why the change?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Deathtouch is an ability that makes 1 point of damage lethal, whereas that's a triggered ability that doesn't occur until after damage is dealt. I'm not sure what would've changed with the card?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Because they just can't help but make the combat step as messy as possible.

I especially appreciate the death touch + trample rules.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kasonic posted:

Deathtouch is an ability that makes 1 point of damage lethal, whereas that's a triggered ability that doesn't occur until after damage is dealt. I'm not sure what would've changed with the card?

Since it's first strike, after the FS damage is dealt, both bears would die.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Since it's first strike, after the FS damage is dealt, both bears would die.

Were you ever able to split damage like that? (I wish there was a site with old copies of the comprehensive rules and some nice way to see what's changed between them.)

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
e: disregard this post I totally misread something

e2: no, you can't split damage like that without deathtouch, and you never have(i am SO SO WRONG WHOOPS). Blockers are assigned lethal damage in order, which is why Deathtouch is weird.

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 7, 2014

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

vOv posted:

Were you ever able to split damage like that? (I wish there was a site with old copies of the comprehensive rules and some nice way to see what's changed between them.)

Yes. I don't understand why they'd want to change it, other than wanting to nerf those cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

vOv posted:

I'm probably not the person to ask, but I thought so.

• Locked thread