Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just spent almost four hours washing, claying, washing and waxing the Escape.

gently caress am I sore as poo poo now. But drat that's a pretty white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hit the MC with some hot soapy water. Got some of the bigger poo poo knocked out. I'd like to throw some BBs in there or something, but I'm afraid I wouldnt be able to get them all out of there. Lots of little nooks and whatnot. I think I'm going to call it good.

Next step is buying some brake line and getting my hands on some bending and flaring tools.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just spent all day doing a balljoint, a cv shaft, wheel bearings, pads, and rotors on a friends accord.

Would have taken an hour flat on my jeep, 30 minutes without the balljoint. I guess that's the price you pay for 35mpg.

Now I am all tired out and ready to sit in a chair at a desk for a week.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

SouthsideSaint posted:

I feel your Honda knowledge is endless sometimes.

I played with a lot of legos Honda parts. :v:

Owned 6 Hondas - 2 88 Accords (1 DX, 1 LXi, both 5 speed), 1 96 Civic (EX 5 speed), 1 91 Integra (LS automatic), 1 95 Civic (EX 5 speed), 1 01 Accord (LX 5 speed). And ran around with a lot of Honda nuts back then.

If you open the hood of any of those (except for the DX Accord and it's :can: vacuum lines and stupidly complex carb), it was almost exactly like opening the hood of any of the others.

I'm not really a fan of any Hondas past 2002 or so, except for the current and last gen Civic Si. But the engine bay is so cramped in those that you need about 5 midgets to remove 1 bolt.

kastein posted:

I just spent all day doing a balljoint, a cv shaft, wheel bearings, pads, and rotors on a friends accord.

All I can say is I'd like some quality time alone with the engineers who designed that stupid captive rotor on the 90-97 Accords.... with a baseball bat.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

some texas redneck posted:

I played with a lot of legos Honda parts. :v:

Owned 6 Hondas - 2 88 Accords (1 DX, 1 LXi, both 5 speed), 1 96 Civic (EX 5 speed), 1 91 Integra (LS automatic), 1 95 Civic (EX 5 speed), 1 01 Accord (LX 5 speed). And ran around with a lot of Honda nuts back then.

If you open the hood of any of those (except for the DX Accord and it's :can: vacuum lines and stupidly complex carb), it was almost exactly like opening the hood of any of the others.

I'm not really a fan of any Hondas past 2002 or so, except for the current and last gen Civic Si. But the engine bay is so cramped in those that you need about 5 midgets to remove 1 bolt.

All I can say is I'd like some quality time alone with the engineers who designed that stupid captive rotor on the 90-97 Accords.... with a baseball bat.

You and me both, man. Those douchebags need to pay.

If they hadn't done that, today would have taken like 2 hours.

If they had simply outboarded the bearing mounting surface another 0.25", it would have taken even less.

(You can't get the drat balljoint out without removing the wheel bearing.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Fun Saturday.

Volvo
-Transmission flush and oil change

Jetta
-CV Axle change and all around brakes

Audi
-Megasquirt wiring and running battery cables for newly rehomed battery to the trunk

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ahahaha, I'm gonna get probated in BSS again.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I tackled my first water pump job ever in the M3. It went surprisingly well, besides getting a shot or two worth of coolant and having the rest shower upon me. The previous owner did a fan delete but had the wrong stupid thermostat in so I'm pretty confident with this new setup the GDCS should be kept at bay in the 100+ summer days of Salt Lake City.
Edit: took about 4.5 hours and not as many tools as you'd think.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
It took me 3 days of about 6 hours of work each to do the timing belt on the Miata. Of course monsoons started so its been around 105° with 75% humidity, as if my garage wasn't hot enough.

I feel that everything that could go wrong did, wrong parts from the store, stripped fasters (one was ground down from the water pump pulley), busted my knuckles pretty badly, and to top it all off, a coolant fitting on the tstat housing broke. It would have required to pull everything apart again to replace it (covers, timing belt, cam gears, etc), so I kludged a fixed with a brass T. It happened when only 2 hoses and the intake plumbing were the only thing left to do.

And then one of the pump surfaces leaked after reassembly/first start. Luckily I only had to remove the intake and PS pump to get to it to tighten it up.

215k miles on it and it is really beginning to show. I'm thinking of putting the enkeis and cheap coilovers on it and selling it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I hate my town so much I'm thinking of moving first and finding a job later, but that would mean leaving my wife behind (she's a public librarian on the cusp of management and there are no jobs for her anywhere) and coming to see her on the weekends once I'm employed. Ugh.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

That google location thing has been tracking me since before I got a google phone.
It's not just login data from computers either because it is at random points on the road
:tinfoil:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

freelop posted:

That google location thing has been tracking me since before I got a google phone.
It's not just login data from computers either because it is at random points on the road
:tinfoil:

That's kind of the point. Anytime your phone 'checks in' it drops a point on the map, depending on your phones settings this could be nearly continuous or only when you use maps or something. The downside of carrying around a little computer in your pocket all the time I guess. I'm kind of surprised though, I picked up a new phone a few days before heading to Germany and no data from my previous phone is on there.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's kind of the point. Anytime your phone 'checks in' it drops a point on the map, depending on your phones settings this could be nearly continuous or only when you use maps or something. The downside of carrying around a little computer in your pocket all the time I guess. I'm kind of surprised though, I picked up a new phone a few days before heading to Germany and no data from my previous phone is on there.

That's what I mean though, my old phone was a blackberry which had no google services on it.
Blackberry might have my location but google shouldn't

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Try clicking on the gear icon for the settings. Maybe there's something in there that tells where it came from. There's no information in mine & it's not enabled so I don't know how it looks if you do.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Not even google maps or gmail login on the blackberry? Could be location is enabled in your computer browser?

I've got it disabled, so I don't get any data.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Friend has a 93 Prelude Si that's been parked for a few years, ever since he got his M3.

Modded a bit - H23 base motor, with cams, I/H/E, some tuning, ugly body kit, and HIDZZZZZ. Interior and paint are drat near flawless (repainted 3 years ago, interior has always been kept clean). While he's driven it hard, he only put about 8k on it in the 7 years he drove it. Car has 170k.

$900 and it's mine, but I have to either risk driving a car that's sat for 3 years for 700 miles through the middle of loving nowhere Texas, or bring a trailer. Stepdad has an 01 F-150 5.4 with a trailer hitch sitting here, nuff said.

I know most of the history of the car, as he's had it for about 10 years. I'd be ripping out a lot of stuff (like the HIDz, gaudy hood, and parts of the body kit - and especially the VAFC), and upgrading the tuning to something a bit more modern than a VAFC.

It's seriously tempting. Borrow stepdad's F-150, rent a flatbed trailer out there, bring the car back home. I could part it out for far more than I'd paid for it, but the car runs like a scalded ape (when it runs).

It's been "on again/off again for sale" for 3 years. It's been driven 2 or 3 times since in that time frame, so some fuel system work is in order. It's been awhile since I played with hondalegos, though!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 7, 2014

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

It seems that data was being recorded since I got my tablet, guess it must have been picking up unsecured hotspots and pinging my location as I drove around.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Buy that car and bring it back to life. I think you would regret it if you part it out.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It's seriously tempting. Borrow stepdad's F-150, rent a flatbed trailer out there, bring the car back home. I could part it out for far more than I'd paid for it, but the car runs like a scalded ape (when it runs).

Why not rent a 2-wheel dolly where you're at, drive over and pick it up, then tow it home. The 2 wheelers are cheap, especially if you do it for just a 1 or 2 day rental.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Yeah... We are enablers after all!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's 700 miles each way, so 2 day minimum. And I'd want to see my dad and stepmom for a few days while I was out there, since I only get to see them every couple of years. Same with some high school friends.

Honestly I'd love to de-rice it a bit - unfortunately, the entire car was repainted with the body kit, in a non-stock color (some variant of Lexus gray), so the de-ricing would be a little painful. Aside from the body poo poo, the car really was built decent. Get rid of the hood and spoiler and the body's not bad; 5k on the clutch, cams, rockers, and CV joints.

Engine has cams + VAFC, and I seem to remember something about upgraded valve springs.

The biggest thing would be talking my stepdad into letting me borrow his F-150 for a week. He's... not so good with a manual, and tall enough that he can barely fit in my car anyway. Amd he's specifically excluded from my insurance - I tried to add him, and my rates went up $200/6 months. Added mom, rates dropped by $150/6 months.. even though she doesn't even drive anymore. :stare:

I'd prefer a flat dolly simply because it's been sitting for several years. The tires are still inflated, but I'm sure there's flat spots. And seeing as the speed limit on I-10 is 85....

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 7, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeessssssss

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'd prefer a flat dolly simply because it's been sitting for several years. The tires are still inflated, but I'm sure there's flat spots. And seeing as the speed limit on I-10 is 85....

Well, that speed would sort out those flat spots really quick, then! :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

91 Integra (LS automatic)

I had one of these as my first real car and I loved it to death. Such a good car. I kind of wish I had kept it now and just done the maintenance on it to keep it running.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

It's 700 miles each way, so 2 day minimum. And I'd want to see my dad and stepmom for a few days while I was out there, since I only get to see them every couple of years. Same with some high school friends.

Honestly I'd love to de-rice it a bit - unfortunately, the entire car was repainted with the body kit, in a non-stock color (some variant of Lexus gray), so the de-ricing would be a little painful. Aside from the body poo poo, the car really was built decent. Get rid of the hood and spoiler and the body's not bad; 5k on the clutch, cams, rockers, and CV joints.

Engine has cams + VAFC, and I seem to remember something about upgraded valve springs.

The biggest thing would be talking my stepdad into letting me borrow his F-150 for a week. He's... not so good with a manual, and tall enough that he can barely fit in my car anyway. Amd he's specifically excluded from my insurance - I tried to add him, and my rates went up $200/6 months. Added mom, rates dropped by $150/6 months.. even though she doesn't even drive anymore. :stare:

If the tires are hosed and you're planning on picking it up for sure you could always go junkyard some steelies and fit new tires to those for the trip. Would be trivial to swap those out once you get there and it would probably be cheaper in the long run than renting a full trailer.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

You don't have to de-rice it right away. You can do it piece by piece. You may get some funny looks but I doubt that car was riced to begin with in a day.

I know this option will cost more but have you considered renting a car for your stepfather to use while you have his truck? You could get him into something bigger with an automatic transmission.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

So for years I've been using an image host that was private and run by a friend. His site has wound down to zero activity so I think he's finally letting the domain expire. I've offered to take it over so that I don't have to re-host my thousand or so pictures but he just wants to let it go, I think he thinks transferring it is a huge pain or something.

I know imgur is the go-to site for goons, but I've never seen a picture link that wasn't just some 6 character combination, like this: imgur.com/lAvdZSG.jpg.

If I'm assuming correctly, this means I'd have to go through all my posts and re-link each photo one at a time. Is that right? Or is it easier than that? What I was really hoping is if there was a hosting site that let me keep my filenames, and I could just find-replace the domain name in all my past posts, at least for active threads where I want to keep the pictures alive. Sucks that I'll lose all photo links in archived threads too.

I probably have close to 2000 photos from the last 10 years linked from his site, I should have switched to something more professional or my own host a long time ago.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah the imgur URL is a hash of some kind. I don't think you'd be able to retain your old filenames with imgur, at least.

You could always buy the domain after it expires finally, and then just rehost (download the whole directory off the webserver with FTP or whatever and hold onto it for when that happens).

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Friend has a 93 Prelude Si that's been parked for a few years, ever since he got his M3.

Modded a bit - H23 base motor, with cams, I/H/E, some tuning, ugly body kit, and HIDZZZZZ. Interior and paint are drat near flawless (repainted 3 years ago, interior has always been kept clean). While he's driven it hard, he only put about 8k on it in the 7 years he drove it. Car has 170k.

$900 and it's mine, but I have to either risk driving a car that's sat for 3 years for 700 miles through the middle of loving nowhere Texas, or bring a trailer. Stepdad has an 01 F-150 5.4 with a trailer hitch sitting here, nuff said.

I know most of the history of the car, as he's had it for about 10 years. I'd be ripping out a lot of stuff (like the HIDz, gaudy hood, and parts of the body kit - and especially the VAFC), and upgrading the tuning to something a bit more modern than a VAFC.

It's been "on again/off again for sale" for 3 years. It's been driven 2 or 3 times since in that time frame, so some fuel system work is in order. It's been awhile since I played with hondalegos, though!

Do it, that's a steal.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

Got invited to a party in the presidential suite at the Marriott downtown, overlooking the river and the blues festival that's going this weekend.

Waiting for the fireworks display to start, should be soon, it's starting to get dark now.

gently caress, I wish I could have seen Lee Fields playing there over the weekend.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I gotta stop looking at Clio 172/182's, they're priced juuuuust within reach and somehow more and more keep getting added to my ebay watch list. :ohdear:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

I gotta stop looking at Clio 172/182's, they're priced juuuuust within reach and somehow more and more keep getting added to my ebay watch list. :ohdear:
Do not buy one that's due for a cambelt/dephaser service!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Saw a strange little car go by while I was having dinner, turns out it's an electric Renault Twizy. Scissor/Lambo doors, single seat and just strange.

Looks like this unfortunately ...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, those things were all over Florence when we were visiting. I kind of like them, but the side windows are just like soft plastic that you put on with snaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVw94qT-md4

Doors are an option.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 7, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That is not a car, that is a lunchbox.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, those things were all over Florence when we were visiting. I kind of like them, but the side windows are just like soft plastic that you put on with snaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVw94qT-md4
I think you meant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFcGm6NYayI

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Grilled a 3lb tri tip for dinner.

Thank you, California, for showing me this delicious cut of meat.

Now if only we owned this house instead of renting so I could actually feel good about any improvements we make.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So STR catte was really touch and go for awhile. He's slowly started to eat canned food, but not much. Even been making our own food, which he's been eating.

Found my emergency bag of dry food (the one I kept around for when I was out of his regular food) - Iams Senior. Tried putting a small bowl out and he loving inhaled it. :starecat:

I don't think we're gonna get another 14 years out of him, but he's been gradually getting stronger. Tried annoying him today and got an immediate swat/bite out of him, so he's definitely feeling a lot better. :haw: (a week ago the same thing would have just gotten a "wtf" look)

Elmnt80 posted:

I had one of these as my first real car and I loved it to death. Such a good car. I kind of wish I had kept it now and just done the maintenance on it to keep it running.

I still miss it, even though it pissed all over the carpet/ECU every time it rained (even after re-gasketing the air intake several times).

What killed it, I think, was the former owner's adjustable FPR. It would get amazing highway mileage (40+), but I'd hear pinging around town. Finally put a gauge on it and found it was cranked way down from where it should be, and pressure was also all over the place from a clogged filter.

Started billowing smoke pretty bad shortly after, to the point that if someone was on my rear end on the highway, I'd just drop it in 3rd and coast - James Bond would have been proud. I assume the pinging was to blame - I wound up selling the car dirt cheap to a friend, he dropped another engine in it and gave it to someone at his church. When he tore the engine down he said the rings were just gone on 2 cylinders.

Got it from a friend with some minor front clip damage for $1800 (in 2004), with an AEM CAI and Neuspeed strut bar, and Pioneer CD player (otherwise stock). Just needed a headlight to make it legal. He'd panic stopped in the rain and rear-ended a Suburban, their tow hitch punched through the headlight and bumper.

After a new headlight and fender (it already had the JDM lights when I got it, liked them too much to go back to USDM, especially how they lit up the road - but H4H bulbs are a bitch to find):

Other pictures that I could find here. No interior photos, but the interior was absolutely flawless when I got it. That was after I'd added wiring for a sub, hence the ricer battery terminal. I think I'd put a new muffler on it by then.

What was always funny is my roommate at the time also had a maroon DA - his was a 90 RS 5 speed, but also had the JDM headlights (so they looked identical from the front). But our keys would unlock each other's cars; there was more than one occasion where we'd get into the wrong car and go "wait.. wrong transmission, wrong car".

e: found a pic of my then-roommate's car:

mariooncrack posted:

You don't have to de-rice it right away. You can do it piece by piece. You may get some funny looks but I doubt that car was riced to begin with in a day.

I know this option will cost more but have you considered renting a car for your stepfather to use while you have his truck? You could get him into something bigger with an automatic transmission.

Most of the rice was done by the previous owner to him. Friend got it repainted though. IIRC it was originally black, it's some pearl grey Lexus color now. Friend installed cams and had it tuned professionally, I forget what else has been done though.

I honestly can't afford to do it right now anyway - especially if I rented something for stepdad for a few days. He really hasn't been trying to sell it too hard, though his neighbors sometimes ask why it's been in the driveway so long (I kinda wonder too, since he has an empty garage - it'd need a jump to get in there, but...).

Very bad google streetview images of it:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 8, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
So I just got the invitations for my cousin's wedding this saturday. According to the card, it will be a "barn-raisin' good time" after the ceremony, including a "good 'ol BBQ", the "saloon will be open to all", and entertainments will include "horseshoes, drinkin', dancin', and corn-holing". :clint: :gay:

(items in quotes are more-or-less verbatim)

It's sounding a bit like Brokeback Mountain: the wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

So STR catte was really touch and go for awhile. He's slowly started to eat canned food, but not much. Even been making our own food, which he's been eating.

Found my emergency bag of dry food (the one I kept around for when I was out of his regular food) - Iams Senior. Tried putting a small bowl out and he loving inhaled it. :starecat:

I don't think we're gonna get another 14 years out of him, but he's been gradually getting stronger. Tried annoying him today and got an immediate swat/bite out of him, so he's definitely feeling a lot better. :haw: (a week ago the same thing would have just gotten a "wtf" look)

I'd generally recommend something with a better nutritional value than Iams. That specific formula starts with chicken by product meal (beaks, feet, whatever else leftovers) and continues with a lot of corn product. Corn isn't really that useful to cats. If you're interested I'm sure there's a pet nutrition thread in Pet Island. On the other hand if you have a picky eater you gotta do what you gotta do.

• Locked thread