Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Aphrodite posted:

Looks like it's from the Stone Age though.

I have no idea what this means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Just bought an I5 256mb surface pro 3.
congratulate me on spending an obscene amount of money on this, the birthday of America.

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer
The i5 is a respectable processor at least.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

go3 posted:

I have no idea what this means

The only thing that's changed in their look since 1992 is the size of the bezel.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
I think the T440s is incredibly sexy in a cool hacker way, unironically.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

evensevenone posted:

My coworker just got one and the trackpad is pretty tragic. It has this strangely large amount of travel and the palm detection is poo poo (at least in Linux). It also seems to have really weird logic about what is a right vs left click (although that may just be me not being used to it).

But you can't disable the trackpad and use the track point, because that also disables the buttons.

The xorg-synaptics library or whatever it's called got the new Thinkpad touchpad/trackpoint support released in March or something, so if you can update to the newest version (if you're not there already), things might be quite improved. I know it's generally possible and not particularly difficult -- I installed it from source with a patch that I needed and it.. worked.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

ambushsabre posted:

I think the T440s is incredibly sexy in a cool hacker way, unironically.

It's so white collar businesses it's square.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Aphrodite posted:

The only thing that's changed in their look since 1992 is the size of the bezel.

I wish this was true.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Aphrodite posted:

Um. They changed the Enter key to blue for a while? Hellooo? They also removed the trackpoint racing stripes for a few versions.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
So I'm doing graduate work in the humanities and looking to spend around $500-900ish for a laptop. In the past I've found using a keyboard, monitor and mouse at home to be best, so I want a system that I can easily dock somewhere but will also be portable enough to take to classes. I end up reading a ton of PDFs so a system with a tablet mode has an appeal. I also need it for netflix and web browsing, I'd also like to game but I'm not willing to spend money on it.

Would the Thinkpad Yoga Ultrabook work? Is there a laptop better suited to these things?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'd just get a laptop with a proper docking station and an 8" or so tablet

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
I'm looking for a business use only laptop for finishing up medical charts at home. I was looking at a T440s. I'll need to review large files over wifi and have good resolution for examining radiographs in detail. Will the screen be good enough, should I take a look at something else that might suit me better? I'd like to spend between 600-1000 so the 440s is at the very top of my budget and I have to forgo some extras...

Nodelphi fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 5, 2014

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

Nodelphi posted:

I'm looking for a business use only laptop for finishing up medical charts at home. I was looking at a T440s. I'll need to review large files over wifi and have good resolution for examining radiographs in detail. Will the screen be good enough, should I take a look at something else that might suit me better? I'd like to spend between 600-1000.

I dont think you'll be able to find one for less than 1k but it would meet your needs. Loving mine so far (1 month in). The screen is great (i got the 1920x1080)

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

snoozeallday posted:

I dont think you'll be able to find one for less than 1k but it would meet your needs. Loving mine so far (1 month in). The screen is great (i got the 1920x1080)

Yeah that was my concern. Oh well I guess it's down to just sucking it up and paying a bit more or skimping a bit on the extras.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Anyone have some suggestions for a laptop for 2 children (8 and 9) that is relatively cheap but can also take a beating? One of the children is developmentally handicapped (and tends to drop things pretty easily) and likes to watch videos, while the other loves playing minecraft.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Anyone have some suggestions for a laptop for 2 children (8 and 9) that is relatively cheap but can also take a beating? One of the children is developmentally handicapped (and tends to drop things pretty easily) and likes to watch videos, while the other loves playing minecraft.

A refurbished ThinkPad X131e is most likely your best bet. If you can find one with i3 and 4gb of ram it should only set you back $300-350. Only downside is they might want a dvd player to watch movies in the car.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

dissss posted:

I'd just get a laptop with a proper docking station and an 8" or so tablet

So what exactly would a good laptop with a docking station in this case be? A lot of the thinkpad models that use docking stations seem to have been discontinued.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Barlow posted:

So what exactly would a good laptop with a docking station in this case be? A lot of the thinkpad models that use docking stations seem to have been discontinued.

Huh. The Thinkpad W/T-series and L-series and X240 all have docking connectors on the bottom.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Yogas have docks too.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
OneLink docks aren't real docks, they're USB 3.0 docks inside.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Nodelphi posted:

Yeah that was my concern. Oh well I guess it's down to just sucking it up and paying a bit more or skimping a bit on the extras.

Plug it into an external monitor or TV.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Hmmm. Xoticpc is advertising discounts on some Sager machines (including the NP8268-S), but I can't for the life of me figure out how to apply it to the price (I don't believe that $1310ish is dicounted). Does anybody know how this is supposed to work? Is there a discount code I'm missing, or something?

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

Nodelphi posted:

You could get a yoga pro 13 for around that

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My sister wants a Surface 3 Pro - as her only computer, mainly for the usual social networking stuff and taking class notes, but also for homework assignments (up to ~20 pages). She travels a lot.
I told her to get the cheapest one with 8GB and definitely play with an MBA/iPad first.
Is this sane?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
If she can get it from the Microsoft Store the return policy is pretty darn good, she'll have a chance to fool with it and return it if she doesn't like it. Best Buy's isn't bad either (surprisingly). My only hesitation would be her not liking the keyboard, so make sure she gets a chance to play with the different covers before buying. I would strongly discourage an iPad for homework assignments due to the lack of a quality keyboard (as far as I'm aware) and the inability to use desktop applications. If she wants a tablet, and is used to windows, she probably isn't going to like the MBA all that much, although it is a very good computer.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So you'd say the 8GB minimum advice is appropriate? And the corresponding price tag.
I'd personally much prefer a Mac setup, but she really likes the Surface for some reason.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
8GB is going to be overkill (but as it cannot be upgraded later that might not be a bad thing)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

depending on how intensive her use is, she might be just fine with a cheaper 4GB version. I currently have a 4gb Surface pro 2, and literally the only time i've run into any kind of issue was when I had a bunch of programs running and went to launch warframe it said I was low on ram and should close some applications first. Besides that its run everything I've thrown at it like a champ without worrying, photoshop processing large RAW files, video editing, etc. I have no doubt I would be better served with my work having that extra 4gb, but I haven't really felt limited. If shes just taking notes, web browsing, netflix, writing papers, light gaming, I can't imagine a situation where she would honestly have a problem. As far as the rest of it goes I love the surface line and think anyone who's interested in it should at least give it a go, its completely replaced my laptop and ipad, as hokey and marketing speak as that sounds.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Cingulate posted:

So you'd say the 8GB minimum advice is appropriate? And the corresponding price tag.
I'd personally much prefer a Mac setup, but she really likes the Surface for some reason.

Really with her usage you could get her a Chromebook and it would probably satisfy all of her requirements from a power perspective. The main thing I would consider is the hard drive space, more than the memory. Does she have large, non-cloud-based libraries of music, movies, or photos? Does she want to? If not, the cheapest model might be worth considering with 4GB RAM and 64GB HDD. The only concern I would have is whether the Intel HD 4200 is powerful enough to drive the high definition display. Again, the thing to do here is go check it out and ideally buy at a place with a good return policy.

Note that I'm typing this from a late 2014 MBPr and I still think the Surface Pro 3 looks pretty drat appealing.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I have worked in an SDC, and you should look for a used iPad. Get an otterbox case if you're thinking it will get dropped a lot. Plays minecraft and videos, and I have rarely seen one be truly destroyed. A keyboard just means missing keys, a hinge is something that can break, and HDDs are not meant to fall.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
So, I'm looking into a laptop to use for personal use. At the moment I have a little 10" half tablet thing, which is awesome for travel and light web browsing, but is much less awesome for programming/Excel/word processing. With my work (on the recommendation of the thread, thanks!) I'm getting an X240, but I would like a personal laptop to use for personal fun stuff and side work.

My requirements are a little odd. I previously had a (sadly stolen from a break in) Macbook Air 13", which I liked a lot. I really dislike Windows 8, and find that it really makes a lot of tasks more difficult. However, I do need to use the Windows version of Excel, and SAS, which seems to only come for Windows. I know that a lot of solutions exist to run Windows things on OSX, so I was thinking I would just use one of those. If it involved booting totally separate operating systems, this would be kind of annoying -- is there a way to avoid this? E.g. I can load windows programs from my doc?

The only issue I have is that I really like using dual monitors to program etc. It seems like this would be hard to do on a Macbook Air just given the number of slots, unless some sort of splitting cord exists. Would a Macbook Pro enable me to use it plugged into 2 monitors? Basically I'd like a computer I can use either plugged in to a workstation, or as a portable laptop not too different from how my Air was. Any advice would be great.

e: Parallels is perfect, thanks! Just the monitors question left then I guess.

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 7, 2014

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Use a Mac with Parallels. It allows you to run a Windows instance from OS X. And it'll run fine on a MBA if you're talking about Excel macro/VBA poo poo and SAS.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

So, I'm in the market for a new laptop/portable device. My price range is $600-$1200.

I'm upgrading from an old 15" HP Pavilion dv6000.

The primary uses for it will be running PowerPoint (and connecting to a projector), running Microsoft Office and other work-type programs, and general web surfing.

I had a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet (running Android) for a year or two and while I did like it, it ended up being limited to me loving around on the Internet rather than doing actual work. Part of it was the limited way the tablet would open multiple programs. It did not like me having Word open with a browser and a PDF viewer at the same time and would get weird about that, which was annoying as I was very used to that with Windows systems. It was probably all more an issue of my not being adapted to Android and how to get things done that I needed done in it, but it wasn't something I got past in the time I had it and it became a toy (also a general issue of porting anything from that Tablet to my desktop and vice versa).

So I'm not opposed to tablets, but I think I would probably be best sticking to Windows 8 if I got that route. I'm interested in the Microsoft Surface Pro and am going to drop by Best Buy today to tinker with them.

Does anyone have suggestions for whether the Surface Pro (with some bells and whistles like a keyboard) would fit my needs, or would I be better served by my money to look at the ThinkPad T440 or another ultrabook?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LtStorm posted:

So, I'm in the market for a new laptop/portable device. My price range is $600-$1200.

I'm upgrading from an old 15" HP Pavilion dv6000.

The primary uses for it will be running PowerPoint (and connecting to a projector), running Microsoft Office and other work-type programs, and general web surfing.

I'm curious why the upgrade? This extremely light usage will work with pretty much any Windows machine. If you want good build quality and robust design, grab a T440. I don't think your usage case really justifies the huge expense of a Surface Pro 3, but they're nice machines.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm curious why the upgrade? This extremely light usage will work with pretty much any Windows machine. If you want good build quality and robust design, grab a T440. I don't think your usage case really justifies the huge expense of a Surface Pro 3, but they're nice machines.

The upgrade is to get rid of my 7 year old Pavilion which has been surprisingly sturdy, but is starting to have issues.

What are some good Windows machines other than the T440 or what is a good resource for listings of specific models that are good currently? And related to that; how up to date are the first few posts of the topic? The one listing pricing on laptops seems to have been updated last year most recently.

My usage case I gave are requirements, but I would like to be able to do stuff like play games and stream video to a TV while also web surfing, really I'll expand to whatever the laptop can do.

Also I'm not sure I understand; by "the huge expense of a Surface Pro 3" do you mean for what you get, or in general? As I was seeing ~$800 for the price on it, while the T440 was ~$860. Given, I just started looking at pricing and may not have found the super good deals and such.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LtStorm posted:

The upgrade is to get rid of my 7 year old Pavilion which has been surprisingly sturdy, but is starting to have issues.

What are some good Windows machines other than the T440 or what is a good resource for listings of specific models that are good currently? And related to that; how up to date are the first few posts of the topic? The one listing pricing on laptops seems to have been updated last year most recently.

My usage case I gave are requirements, but I would like to be able to do stuff like play games and stream video to a TV while also web surfing, really I'll expand to whatever the laptop can do.

Also I'm not sure I understand; by "the huge expense of a Surface Pro 3" do you mean for what you get, or in general? As I was seeing ~$800 for the price on it, while the T440 was ~$860. Given, I just started looking at pricing and may not have found the super good deals and such.

With the B&N link in the OP, you can get quite a bit off of Thinkpads. I'd expect a basic T440 with some options to be around $700. Meanwhile, the Surface Pro 3 with only 64GB of drive space is a bit too tight to be a normal PC replacement. Look at the 128GB one at a minimum, and don't forget to add in the cost of a type cover for it, so now you're looking at ~$700 vs $1130.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm trying to decide between two laptops right now, they are quite different in specs and type:

Lenovo U330p
-13 inch
-i5-4210U
-256gb SSD
-8gb RAM

699 Euros

Leonov Yoga 11s
-11 inch
-i3-4010Y
-128gb SSD
-8gb RAM

599 Euros

I do like the increased portability of the 11s but I am hesitant because I don't know just how much more powerful the hardware of the u330p is. I don't plan to do much gaming, mainly looking for a browsing and video device, but I do like at least having the option of playing something more demanding like X-Com.

Any advice on what the better deal is here?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
11s is uses and ultra-low power CPU at 11.5w TDP. The 330p uses a low power CPU at 15w TDP. I personally would go with the U330p, bigger SSD which will be faster than the 128 and the CPU has Turbo boost up to 2.7GHz on one CPU core and 2.4GHz boost when using both cores.

Also a keyboard on an 11" device is going to be really cramped. I have a 10.1" ASUS TF700 with the docking keyboard and it's tiny.

There are very few playable games on either of the graphics chipsets though.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 7, 2014

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

With the B&N link in the OP, you can get quite a bit off of Thinkpads. I'd expect a basic T440 with some options to be around $700. Meanwhile, the Surface Pro 3 with only 64GB of drive space is a bit too tight to be a normal PC replacement. Look at the 128GB one at a minimum, and don't forget to add in the cost of a type cover for it, so now you're looking at ~$700 vs $1130.

Did a bit of research (re: Went to Best Buy and actually physically looked at things). I obviously have misunderstood the Surface Pro, as I thought it was supposed to be a middle-ground between a tablet and a laptop. Turns out I was thinking of the Lenovo Yoga 2. So nevermind the Surface Pro 3, I shouldn't have bought into the whole "power of a laptop" thing.

So now my interests have shifted to the T440 and the Yoga 2 13.

Looking them up on the Barnes & Nobel Gold link I get;

Yoga 2 13 ($849, $150 off normal price)

i5-4200U
4GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4400
500 GB SSHD + 16 GB SSD

T440 ($859)

i3-4010U
HD Graphics 4400
4GB RAM
500GB HDD

Lenovo Z40 ($599, $150 off normal price)
i5-4200U
NVIDIA GeForce GT 820M 2GB
6GB RAM
500GB SSHD + 8 GB SSD

The T440 actually isn't on sale at all it seems, and seems like an all around worse deal. Is there some hidden benefit to the T440 here, or have I hosed up on that site and am missing a deal?

Alternatively, does anyone know if any of Lenovo's various other models are good? I included the Lenovo Z40 which looks pretty decent, but I'm guessing it's a cheaper built version of their consumer hardware to make it more sellable? Is it worth the cost there, or is it going to more likely fall into the cheap-o laptops you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
What's the ticking time bomb waiting in the Lenovo L540?

I am in the market for a 6-700 dollar budget laptop, and based on specs and reviews it seems like a really good deal for a fairly well built system(metal hinges, reviews state it feels solid compared to other brands, etc). My main requirements are i5 and 15.6inch screen (I have a $100 laptop bag for 15", it hardly makes sense to add a new bag onto such an inexpensive machine).