Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swiddlefiddler
Jul 3, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Here comes a series of stupid questions; How geared do you have to be? My Sith Inquisitor is in useless pvp gear and not even the new level 55 set at that. I can do probably bad DPS.

JediBlutarsky posted:

I can help out either Empire or Republic side.

What time would you two wanna start doing this around? Im fine for whenever as long as it isn't something like 7 AM eastern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Stalins Moustache posted:

What are the differences between the gameplay of a sniper and an operative? I am used to playing a jedi sentinel and I do enjoy that hectic type of gameplay, so is an operative DPS a better choice for me?

No other spec in the game has Combat's hectic last-second proc and split-second timing feel, but operatives come much closer than snipers. They play similarly to Watchman where the core of the rotation is a 6-second with where you have one or two strong attacks that you have to hit while also timing things so you have the spare globals and resources to hit attacks that come up every few cycles (but not so many that you're focus/energy capped, of course). Weakening Blast for operatives is also the closest that you're going to get to a Precision Slash window.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

HundredBears posted:

No other spec in the game has Combat's hectic last-second proc and split-second timing feel, but operatives come much closer than snipers. They play similarly to Watchman where the core of the rotation is a 6-second with where you have one or two strong attacks that you have to hit while also timing things so you have the spare globals and resources to hit attacks that come up every few cycles (but not so many that you're focus/energy capped, of course). Weakening Blast for operatives is also the closest that you're going to get to a Precision Slash window.

Sounds perfect! :D

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tezzeract posted:

If you're 55 and on Jedi Covenant, the guild can help you out. Otherwise, its not too bad to find someone willing to help get you the starter raid gear.

Yep! I'm in the guild and level 55. I'll make myself more available starting tomorrow.

Swiddlefiddler posted:

What time would you two wanna start doing this around? Im fine for whenever as long as it isn't something like 7 AM eastern.

You wanted to play tomorrow right? My screen name is Omgitsbees. I'll be on all day.

[edit]
Totally just gave you the wrong character before. Edited in the right one.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 7, 2014

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

For Omgitsbees (and anyone else):
http://www.swtor.com/r/4BgV4G

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Combat Guardian holy crap. What a brutally efficient leveling build - great for planetary leveling and KDY. Smash crits wiping out entire mob packs.

Also, the Jedi Knight story owns. Got to the end of chapter 2 and the twist :)

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 7, 2014

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Wife and I tried soloing(duoing?) Hammer Station flashpoint tonight at level 17 each, made it up to the Battlelord Kreshin. Couldn't really make a dent in him because he would take out our healbot companions quickly and then the reinforcements would gank her Shadow before my Guardian could Taunt. Gave up after three tries, but beating the bigass Tunneler bot by ourselves was extremely satisfying.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

-Fish- posted:

Wife and I tried soloing(duoing?) Hammer Station flashpoint tonight at level 17 each, made it up to the Battlelord Kreshin. Couldn't really make a dent in him because he would take out our healbot companions quickly and then the reinforcements would gank her Shadow before my Guardian could Taunt. Gave up after three tries, but beating the bigass Tunneler bot by ourselves was extremely satisfying.

That fight is tough with companions because he drops damage circles on the ground that they won't run out of. Don't be afraid to jump in group finder while leveling. Since you're a tank, that means you can set the pace of your runs. As a group of two, you should at least be able to hit all the planetary content and many of the heroics.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Hey I reinstalled this game after like a year and a half to finish the story but I'm stuck on a boss. I'm playing as a Sith Marauder, what's the best build for doing single player stuff? Also I only ever used Jaesa who seems terrible as a companion to a dps class so all my other guys are underequipped. Outside of sinking more money into stims and health packs and trying again and again until I get stuck on the next boss what can I do? Is there anywhere I can go to get some new equipment for me and some companions?

I really want to beat this game. :(

e: level 49 if that helps.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

Beartaco posted:

Hey I reinstalled this game after like a year and a half to finish the story but I'm stuck on a boss. I'm playing as a Sith Marauder, what's the best build for doing single player stuff? Also I only ever used Jaesa who seems terrible as a companion to a dps class so all my other guys are underequipped. Outside of sinking more money into stims and health packs and trying again and again until I get stuck on the next boss what can I do? Is there anywhere I can go to get some new equipment for me and some companions?

Dulfy seems to be the go to site for builds and other info. Try this for a Marauder:
http://dulfy.net/2014/02/03/swtor-marauder-dps-class-guide/

Also, if you're on Jedi Covenant get into That's No Goon and don't be afraid to ask for help. It worked for me. ;)

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

Swiddlefiddler posted:

I won't be on until after 4PM Eastern.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

Beartaco posted:

Yeah dulfy's guide really helped me along with my guardian which is still my only 55 character. But i kept myself over-leveled with KDY and later on warzones. Kinda got tired of the storyline and just went straight for 55 before i went back to finish the storyline and move to the makeb expansion stuff.

The same is happening with my in-progress sniper and merc healer.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Beartaco posted:

I personally find Quinn essential for Marauder. You're too squishy and the heals dramatically increase your lifespan and allow you to pump out way more damage than you would by adding a DPS companion like Vette or Jaesa. Occasional use of Force Choke to give yourself a breather and let Quinn heal you back up is useful.

What you can do, I think, is go back and do some old heroics for comms and then gear up Quinn with those.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

bonds0097 posted:

I personally find Quinn essential for Marauder. You're too squishy and the heals dramatically increase your lifespan and allow you to pump out way more damage than you would by adding a DPS companion like Vette or Jaesa. Occasional use of Force Choke to give yourself a breather and let Quinn heal you back up is useful.

What you can do, I think, is go back and do some old heroics for comms and then gear up Quinn with those.

If you can afford her, Treek is even better. Keep her geared and in tank mode, and she will take all the punishment and occasionally throw you a heal.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

bonds0097 posted:

Alright I think I'm banging Quinn right now so I'll give him a go. Maybe he can help me out if you know what I mean.

e: romance options in video games make things really creepy if you actually interact with the multiplayer side at all who knew

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 7, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

If you can afford her, Treek is even better. Keep her geared and in tank mode, and she will take all the punishment and occasionally throw you a heal.

One thing to remember with tank companions: they need to be geared approximately as well as you are to be useful. They can't tank if you're constantly stealing threat. I didn't really realize this until I started leveling my sorc; Khem owned for leveling.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh my god he loving betrayed me gently caress all you guys.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Beartaco posted:

You're Treek's chief and she's fanatically loyal, just sayin' :smug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beartaco posted:

Eh, this happens between tanks and healers at least once a raid. :devil:

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

hobbesmaster posted:

Eh, this happens between tanks and healers at least once a raid. :devil:

Is it really betrayal if you just drift off and look at something more interesting?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is it acceptable if I am looking at pictures of cats during a raid? I do this all the time during pvp its the only way I can tolerate leveling up a commando. Which I don't know why I am doing, I hate the class but at level 47 I might as well go the rest of the way.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Super 3 posted:

Is it really betrayal if you just drift off and look at something more interesting?

I was more thinking of pushing exploding droids and extricating into lava.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

hobbesmaster posted:

I was more thinking of pushing exploding droids and extricating into lava.

I felt dirty using extricate last night to actually save someone who had too much aggro.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

As someone who PvPs a lot (and I know there's a couple of you here that do as well), I found this thread on the official forums to be a really good read; http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=750750

I think that if Bioware can balance out how stuns and snares work in pvp, things will be a lot better. In World of Warcraft your character can start to resist stuns out right after one or two and that's how it should be done here.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

I said come in! posted:

As someone who PvPs a lot (and I know there's a couple of you here that do as well), I found this thread on the official forums to be a really good read; http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=750750

I think that if Bioware can balance out how stuns and snares work in pvp, things will be a lot better. In World of Warcraft your character can start to resist stuns out right after one or two and that's how it should be done here.

The resolve mechanic is poo poo. I've tried to poop sock it letting their CC fully tick out on me to get a full resolve bar so I could run around stun proof but it fades so quickly that it's pointless. Eating their long cc to resolve up to avoid their short CC is just as worthless.

The only time I see it sort of work is during Hutt ball on a ball carrier and even then it's meh.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

I said come in! posted:

CC in this game is fairly balanced IMO...it's needed for the meta if your going to have Tanks (specifically Guard) and powerful Healers. Basically I like it because I feel it adds depth that rewards good play. People don't seem to understand that reducing CC in this game would fundamentally change how PvP works and it would not be in a direction that helped DPS.

Having said that the two changes that I support are 1) out-of-combat CCs shouldn't work in PvP. No player should be able to affect another player and stay out-of-combat 2) resolve should not count down if you are currently CC'd. I'd add that Resolve shouldn't count down if you are out-of-combat but it would give defenders way too much of an advantage.

14 chars above Valor 80 and 6 above 2000 Ranking this season so yeah I PvP a lot.

Edit: also no wonder I hadn't seen that thread why the hell did the put it in General.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
These Stronghold things have gotten me interested in playing again. Can someone on Jedi Covenant Republic side invite Chlodowech?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

From the patch notes: Warzones now give double Commendations and Credits.

Is this a temporary thing?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Super 3 posted:

From 2.8.Whatever we are now to 2.8.Whatever we are now +1. So until 2.8.2 (or 2.8.3, whatever is closer, can't remember).

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Super 3 posted:

It should be for about five more weeks, until 2.9 drops and we get to run around home decorating.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So I just started and am enjoying this so far. Playing as a Jedi Consular, and only at level 7. What is the game path like if I choose only dark side options from here on out - is there a good 'fall to the dark side' story path or is it not that well developed.

In other words, is Jedi Consular better played focusing on Light Side or Dark Side?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

So I just started and am enjoying this so far. Playing as a Jedi Consular, and only at level 7. What is the game path like if I choose only dark side options from here on out - is there a good 'fall to the dark side' story path or is it not that well developed.

In other words, is Jedi Consular better played focusing on Light Side or Dark Side?

In general, the Imperials get more depth in their light side/dark side options.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Soooo... I should actually play as a goodie two-shoes to get the best out of this character type?

Swiddlefiddler
Jul 3, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Soooo... I should actually play as a goodie two-shoes to get the best out of this character type?

In my opinion it seems like (at least on republic) light side choices are more akin to you being space jesus and dark side choices are things like not taking prisoners and talking poo poo to people.

Empire wise dark side/light side choices boil down to light side being a reasonable evil fiend and dark side being a mass murdering angst wagon.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

But is there any point where you cross a line and it's like, OK, you are no longer a Jedi as you have too much dark side going on - or is the game not set up in that way?

Ultimately, are dark/light side points all that significant for Jedi consular?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

But is there any point where you cross a line and it's like, OK, you are no longer a Jedi as you have too much dark side going on - or is the game not set up in that way?

Not particularly, though discovering it is half the fun. You get much more meaningful choices as a Sith Warrior or Imperial Agent.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK - I think Imperial or Bounty Hunter playthrough is next, if I am not done with this after Jedi Consular. I'll keep on trucking and see what happens if I am not the most straight-edge Jedi ever.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Fair warning, the consular story is SO BORING. If you don't get much out of it consider literally any other class.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

BadAstronaut posted:

On the Imperial side, with Sith at least, Dark Side tends to be 'muahahaha I'm a genocidal maniac who enjoys roasting puppies and eating them in front of their mothers' where light side tends to be 'Have you actually READ the sith code? It doesn't say anything about being evil, just that strength and power come from passion, not from refusing to feel.'

I actually caught myself, just this morning, wanting my Sith Warrior to say 'JFC, my abilities are powered by RAGE, not by ANGER or HATRED.' I'm playing her for pure lightside, just for fun, and her responses are all tend to go like this:
:zoro: Look, I'm here for X, lets just get along, yeah?
:derp: OH poo poo A SITH!
:zoro: *sigh* Seriously, I just want X.
:derp: LORDY GOD A SITH, GET READY TO ATTACK
:zoro: *sigh* do we really need to do this?
:derp: CHARGE!
:zoro: *unholy orgy of violence*
:derp: PLEASE STOP HITTING ME HERE'S YOUR THING
:zoro: This could have all been avoided, you know. Ciao for now.
:derp: THANK GOD WE SURVIVED THAT RAMPAGING MURDEROUS EVIL SITH WHO ATTACKED US FOR NO REASON

My favourite line so far is her parting line to a Jedi Master on Tattoine:
The master has just mindwiped his own padawan to prevent the padawan from spilling secrets in to protect said master. The Sith Warrior says "I leave you know to contemplate what you did to your padawan" and wanders off.

My Agent was dark side, mostly, and tended to be more 'expedience.' Bounty Hunter mostly lightside, and those responses tend to be 'code of honor blah blah pay me.' Sith Sorcerer, straight darkside, and it's cartoonishly evil. In a fun way.

Over on the Republic side, smuggler dark side tends to be 'I'm an rear end in a top hat!' where light side is 'I'm an rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold!' Trooper, going lightside actually tends to piss off your CO. Didn't try dark. Jedi, I haven't played in a while, but Space Jesus really does describe what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Played my Shadow for the first time in forever last night, trying out Balance because I had so much fun with it on my lowbie Sage. Noticed some random Imp kept spitting on me during the match, no idea why. At the end he says "suck it kim jong il" and I just laughed and laughed. My Shadow is named after a Legend of Korra character... while it's an Asian name, that's the only similarity between it and "Kim Jong Il". I was annoyed that a Sage let themselves get capped on to lose the game but the dumb Imp hilarity made it worth it.

• Locked thread