Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

a!n posted:

And for hadouken that means you simply input the super motion during the hadouken motion. Note how Ryus super input is basically the hadouken input twice in a row. This is so you can do the hadouken, tag on another QCF (quarter-circle forward) + punch and cancel into super easily.

Is there a trick to this? I'm doing it as fast as I can but all I do is constantly spam regular hadokens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
You just qcf+p, qcf+p as fast as possible. I don't think it's possible to do it too fast, so just do it faster.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The problem is I was doing it from too far away, I think. The fireball actually has to connect before you cancel it, right?

(It's still ridiculously hard mind you, partly cause I'm using an xbox controller's stick)

Elman fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 7, 2014

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Got my digital upgrade and can't wait for release. Really excited to play Hugo

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

Elman posted:

The problem is I was doing it from too far away, I think. The fireball actually has to connect before you cancel it, right?

(It's still ridiculously hard mind you, partly cause I'm using an xbox controller's stick)
The super can come out before the fireball connects, and should work from any range where you can connect a normal cr.mk xx fireball.

e: Oh, I guess you were trying to do it from just a fireball or something IDK. Just keep in mind that 'cancelling' into a move is literally cancelling the animation of the previous move to start the next one, so you want to input the move to cancel into very early in the start up of the first move. And since input buffers exist, the input for the fireball counts as the first half of the super as well, which is why you only need one more QCF+P.

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 7, 2014

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
The fireball has to connect.

They changed it after vanilla to make it so that you can't have more than one fireball on the screen at a time because people were neutral jumping hadoukens and then eating super on the way down.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
Is that only for raw fireballs? I thought there was a combo in the trials where it ends up at a max-range cr.mk xx fireball xx super, and the super comes out before the fireball connects.

e: yeh this one youtu.be/cSm2MJZJ9_A?t=6m32s

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 7, 2014

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Probably.

Hadouken is super cancellable so as long as the input is done at the right time it should work. Why you would want to do it outside of completing that trial is beyond me though.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

cams posted:

I've been thinking about it for a while ever since the Yun Red Focus of DOOM came out, is there ANY reason for a Yun to Genai Jin any more? Will we see a single Genai Jin at Evo?

Much better damage/corner carry/continued pressure midscreen, especially without Ultra. Might see it from Yun loyalists. Probably won't though.

Smegmatron posted:

Hadouken is super cancellable so as long as the input is done at the right time it should work. Why you would want to do it outside of completing that trial is beyond me though.

Yeah it doesn't have to connect if you cancel, the cancel is really fast but it works. Leads to highly impractical guaranteed chip setups against certain characters.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Even though it doesn't mean much I am bound and determined to break into the top 100 bp ranked Hugo's. I'm hovering around 150 now. Whenever I get bored I switch to Hakan and after like 9 wins I'm around 200th lol.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Okay here's my notes so far on Gouken poo poo after a few days messing around with him again in Ultra.

EX Tatsu hitbox is easily his best buff, it's still SUCH a huge guess but the fact that it works 100% of the time when you're right about a button is awesome. He's got a legit defensive option once he has 3 bars that the opponent really has to respect, especially if you're running U1. If you don't have U1 you can still juggle with a few things, sweep is probably the best easy option, but j.MP xx HK Tatsu does a good bit more damage and carries across the stage pretty far. If you started with 4 bars then you can do another EX Tatsu for his best non-ultra damage. If you used EX Tatsu FADC from the corner you'll cross underneath and corner them with any of these options, which is nice.

I really like cr.LP xx LP Rush Punch, the buffs to cr.LP's startup and LP Rush Punch's forward movement make it fairly reliable. If the cr.LP touches then the rush punch will also touch 99% of the time and give you its massive pushback, making it fairly safe. It also blows up focus. It's a nice thing to mix in with walk-up throw, you might catch them hitting a button and it's still bulletproof if they go into focus. Just don't do it to Ryu or Chun Li when they have super loaded.

I'm still trying to figure out to do with special cancellable st.LK, I cancel it into LK demon flip sometimes as a gimmick but that's only gonna work on someone doing bad focuses or bad anti-airs (since he can parry through a lot of 1 hit anti-airs). Probably most useful as a whiff punisher, since st.LK xx EX Tatsu will basically combo from any range it hits at. My footsies are bad so I've had pretty limited success with this so far but it's worth noting buffering st.LK xx EX Tatsu out in the open is safe - if the st.LK whiffs then you'll just chain into another st.LK instead of flying up into the sky like an idiot. Makes the attempt relatively safe and the reward is 240 damage + a full screen knockdown, it's probably very possible to tag some whiffed sweeps and cr.MK's with this.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
I don't know if it's just me or El Fuerte, but a lot of people on Endless Match online will do play one game and then just peace out. Does this happen to anyone else? I get the feeling a lot of the people I'm playing don't know what Elf does and just don't wanna deal with it, or people are just treating endless like ranked match instead of as a lobby.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

[edit] ^^^ The endless match session my bro and I were in lasted for at least like 50 games in rotation. Was a lot of fun. There were 4 of us that stayed the whole time, with the last spot having a player rotate in every 2-3 match or so. Some dude was pretty salty one match though and rage quit, haha.

I bought a copy of SSF4AE + Ultra upgrade for my bro so we can finally play online in endless matches together. Just a heads up for any would-be PC/Steam buyers, the package deal was only $19ish from this goon's Steam games for cheap thread in SA-Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647226. Didn't realize the Steam package came with ALL the SSF4AE DLC costumes for every character. It's a steal imo, since I paid a little over $18 just for the base SSF4AE game without any additional costumes + Ultra upgrade last month.

As an aside, I did my first endless session with my bro and 2 other guys who were pretty chill; they had like 3000pp/6000bp with their mains and were talking about poo poo like frame traps and frame data to which my bro and I were like "wtf are they talking about lols". My meager 350pp/400bp with Cammy didn't make them leave to my surprise. Guess they had fun watching a scrub like me trying to land one of Cammy's BnB combos but completely failing like 99% of the time, haha. I did land it like once or twice, but most of the time I dropped the cr.mp/cr.mk xx spiral arrow.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 8, 2014

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Anyone know if http://www.slitherware.com/SF4_Box_Viewer still works w/the steam version?

I'm at work or I'd just try it out :)

cams
Mar 28, 2003

It's possible that it's just Hugo's giant hitbox loving me up, but I am having some trouble in matches timing Rog's Ultra/Super after headbutt against him... does Hugo fall faster than most characters?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Will the upgrade to Ultra erase my trial progress once it's out on PC? I just got back into SF after over two years' hiatus and have over 95% clear :spergin:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Will the upgrade to Ultra erase my trial progress once it's out on PC? I just got back into SF after over two years' hiatus and have over 95% clear :spergin:

You keep your progress.
-

Adon is a cool dude with jump back combos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E3matPbJNY

cams
Mar 28, 2003

KingShiro posted:

You keep your progress.
-

Adon is a cool dude with jump back combos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E3matPbJNY
That is insane, look forward to seeing that from the best Adons. I assume what makes it possible has something to do with the "jump status" being reset once the air normal connects? Cause as far as I know, Adon can't usually jump-back jaguar kick. If he could I'd be playing him all day every day.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

That's neutral jump MK and it's always been cancellable into air jaguar kick, he's not jumping back.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I am Jchen :smithicide:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KingShiro posted:

I am Jchen :smithicide:

Jchen is my fav commentator when paired with the Sessler

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Waverhouse posted:

I don't know if it's just me or El Fuerte, but a lot of people on Endless Match online will do play one game and then just peace out. Does this happen to anyone else? I get the feeling a lot of the people I'm playing don't know what Elf does and just don't wanna deal with it, or people are just treating endless like ranked match instead of as a lobby.

I can't stand playing against El Fuerte and I know a lot of other SF players that feel the same way. He just isn't fun to fight at all and I never feel like playing against him helps me improve at Street Fighter against any other character at all.

Trykt posted:

EX Tatsu hitbox is easily his best buff, it's still SUCH a huge guess but the fact that it works 100% of the time when you're right about a button is awesome. He's got a legit defensive option once he has 3 bars that the opponent really has to respect, especially if you're running U1. If you don't have U1 you can still juggle with a few things, sweep is probably the best easy option, but j.MP xx HK Tatsu does a good bit more damage and carries across the stage pretty far. If you started with 4 bars then you can do another EX Tatsu for his best non-ultra damage. If you used EX Tatsu FADC from the corner you'll cross underneath and corner them with any of these options, which is nice.

Couple questions for you:

1.) What's up with the timing on doing tatsu after a backthrow? Do you need to buffer that input and do it the exact moment you recover? I've embarrassed myself a lot online by whiffing the gently caress out of EX/normal tatsu after a backthrow.

2.) How are you FADC'ing EX tatsu on reaction? In training mode I have to slam that Mk/Mp button almost the second I complete the input for EX tatsu or I won't FA cancel it.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 9, 2014

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

oswald ownenstein posted:

Couple questions for you:

1.) What's up with the timing on doing tatsu after a backthrow? Do you need to buffer that input and do it the exact moment you recover? I've embarrassed myself a lot online by whiffing the gently caress out of EX/normal tatsu after a backthrow.

2.) How are you FADC'ing EX tatsu on reaction? In training mode I have to slam that Mk/Mp button almost the second I complete the input for EX tatsu or I won't FA cancel it.

You have to delay the HK tatsu a bit. You wanna catch them just before they touch the ground really, there's no visual or sound cue to help with this you just need to learn it. You want to make sure you get every hit of the tatsu, if you do it too soon it might hit them but one of the hits (usually second to last) will whiff and you'll have lost damage/meter for no good reason.

You can't FADC it on reaction, I was talking about doing it as a guess the same way a shoto would DP FADC during someone's pressure. Gouken's version of this is expensive but safe, and the hitbox on ex tatsu is gigantic even compared to a DP.

Speaking of how good ex tatsu's hitbox is, there's a range you can stand that's still fairly far away where dive kick characters can't neutral jump as a feint anymore. The upper part of the attack goes so far forward he can tag them easily if they come back down and if they commit to a divekick you can easily react and hit them anyway. Owns.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
You could, I suppose, use st.LK being cancellable to get a good hit confirm from the old cr.LP cr.LP cr.LP st.LK chain that previously ended with cr.LK to instead do xx EX.Tatsu for healthy damage.

(don't have Ultra until PC hits, will be back on Gouken full time for it Trykt.)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Why does matchmaking repeatedly put me against people with 2000BPs when I'm at 0? Between that and matches with unplayable lag it seems like I can only play online against people I know.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Elman posted:

Why does matchmaking repeatedly put me against people with 2000BPs when I'm at 0? Between that and matches with unplayable lag it seems like I can only play online against people I know.

Are you searching for a custom match and setting Skill Level to "Same"? Getting matched up with higher ranking people happens way less when you do that. Also there aren't always same skill people waiting to play at the same time you are so it tries to match you up with the lowest person. The game makes the assumption that you'd rather play someone of a higher skill level than not play at all. I wish there was a setting you could change for that, but right now there isn't.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Shockeh posted:

You could, I suppose, use st.LK being cancellable to get a good hit confirm from the old cr.LP cr.LP cr.LP st.LK chain that previously ended with cr.LK to instead do xx EX.Tatsu for healthy damage.

(don't have Ultra until PC hits, will be back on Gouken full time for it Trykt.)

This would be sick damage but you can't even come close to linking the st.LK. Gouken's only confirms are still off of his close normals.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Elman posted:

There is no matchmaking beyond "same skill" preventing you from matching with someone with like >3000 PP (your account rating) when you're new. BP is just a measure of how many times you've won with a given character and doesn't factor in anyway. You're just going to have to lose and lose and lose until you start losing slightly less.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Points in SF4 are a very bad indication of skill. The only guarantee is that someone with 3000+ PP will probably be somewhere in the range from halfway semi-decent at the game to really really good. Below that it's not reliable at all, but the higher you go from there usually indicates someone who is better.

If you're new to the game you shouldn't avoid playing people who are better than you, because that's how you're going to get better. More than likely lots of people won't want to play you again because they themselves want to fight people who are better, so if you find someone better who will keep playing you, take your losses and try to learn something from it.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Mio Bison posted:

This would be sick damage but you can't even come close to linking the st.LK. Gouken's only confirms are still off of his close normals.

Yeah st.LK is 6 frames, no real way to link into it. Since his cr.LP is 3 frames now you could in theory hit confirm with 2 jabs of any type (standing/close/crouching) since they're all +3, then 1 frame link into a cr.LP xx EX Tatsu (or LP Rush Punch for more safety). Haven't bothered trying to work this into my game yet but it seems like a good improvement to the standard light chain.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Is there any logic to how they calculate how much pp/bp you gain/lose after a ranked match?

Here's a loss I rendered, guy is a friend of mine from work and I have never been able to get past his Ryu, we've played eachother around 20 times with this same match up and this was the closest I've come to beating him. I'm aware I use backbreaker for movement too often and I'm working on it, but he jumps too much too. I hosed up the end of the second round because I thought I had EX and was trying to get a EX lariat out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLsrArwyDIQ

For more data here's me beating the 100th ranked Dhalsim online, love the ending on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiRrZKWCTiM

and an M. Bison match that I probably should've lost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdpnKm4_AYE

I'm not real high level and don't get enough time to practice to get into real hardcore data and whatnot but any notes and tips are appreciated.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 9, 2014

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Trykt posted:

Yeah st.LK is 6 frames, no real way to link into it. Since his cr.LP is 3 frames now you could in theory hit confirm with 2 jabs of any type (standing/close/crouching) since they're all +3, then 1 frame link into a cr.LP xx EX Tatsu (or LP Rush Punch for more safety). Haven't bothered trying to work this into my game yet but it seems like a good improvement to the standard light chain.

cr.LP cr.LP cr.LP st.LK works now in AE, is that just chaining then? (Never any reason to bother knowing or caring, as you couldn't cancel it into anything.)

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Is there any logic to how they calculate how much pp/bp you gain/lose after a ranked match?

The difference in points, the most you can win/lose is 128 and the least is 1.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Shockeh posted:

cr.LP cr.LP cr.LP st.LK works now in AE, is that just chaining then? (Never any reason to bother knowing or caring, as you couldn't cancel it into anything.)

Yes, he never gets better than +3 off his lights, which means at best you can now link into his 3 frame jab in Ultra. Maybe close medium kick too I dunno how the pushback on that works.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Periodiko posted:

Yes, he never gets better than +3 off his lights, which means at best you can now link into his 3 frame jab in Ultra. Maybe close medium kick too I dunno how the pushback on that works.

If you're point blank you can link cr.lp into cl.mk, even in AE.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Here's a loss I rendered, guy is a friend of mine from work and I have never been able to get past his Ryu, we've played eachother around 20 times with this same match up and this was the closest I've come to beating him. I'm aware I use backbreaker for movement too often and I'm working on it, but he jumps too much too. I hosed up the end of the second round because I thought I had EX and was trying to get a EX lariat out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLsrArwyDIQ

The #1 thing that stands out to me in this one is that you're never doing nothing. Any time he is knocked down, or he blocks a move, or whatever, you're always pressing something. This guy was extremely DP-happy in this match, probably because you never showed him you were willing to bait it.

Like you mentioned, never, EVER, backbreaker for movement. It's an anti-air move and that's all. Similarly never ever do the meat squasher from far away. He has so much time to react and punish with pretty much anything (like in the last round when he punished with raw ultra). The only way doing that is gonna work is if you fight someone who hasn't fought Hugo before.

Get better at walking forward and ground dashing. It seemed like whenever you were far away you would do a special move to try to get close, rather than just closing the gap by walking or dashing forward, which are the safer options here.

Hope this is helpful.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 10, 2014

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Playing footsies as Hugo is IMMENSELY IMPORTANT. He has absolutely ridiculous tools at mid range and you should be (ab)using them. In the first round, the majority of your damage is coming from decent use of normals. The fact that they hit is good, but you need to see why. You're in a range where he's scared. This is partly his fault, because he's going in on you, and that's not how you fight Hugo. You're using HP as an anti-air, which it can be, you're hitting him with st.MP, and you even get him with a sweep. It's not stellar Hugo play, but it's enough to take the round, which at this point is all that matters.

At about 75 seconds in the second round, he changes tactics and starts bobbing and weaving while throwing fireballs. At this point you've lost it. You've lost the life lead, and he's zoning you out, and you're panicking. That's when you launch into doing stupid poo poo. Some of it works, most of it doesn't. Understand that against a better Ryu, none of it will work, ever. If that's me, I'm punishing you for silly moves before you even get the chance to follow up. You were lucky to get what you got.

By round 3, you've abandoned your defense and he's just hitting you for free. Again, not praising his Ryu necessarily because he's doing a lot of dumb poo poo, but he's getting away with it because you're not showing the patience necessary. Imagine if you'd punished even one or two of those raw DPs with a st.MP or better? You would have likely won the match. At the very least, he shows bursts of patience. When you're playing a grappler, you can't get impatient. I know that getting in is an imperative for you, but not at all costs. There are smarter ways of making your way in. Walking and blocking works. Focus dashing works. EX lariat or EX meatsquasher at a range where he has to commit to the guess instead of just punishing you outright can work. The fact that he was able to throw a raw ultra says that a) your ranges are wrong and b) he's not scared of you anymore.

The other thing that I notice is that you're not capitalising on your knockdowns. You're Hugo! You're a scary fuckin' grappler who can potato you in the face at the slightest provocation. Why, then, are you backing away from your opponent when you have them on the ground? I'm not saying you should be all in all the time, but as a slow moving character, screen position is EVERYTHING. Giving up your advantage and retreating to a range where his fireballs become more potent is just asking to lose. You need to tread that line between being in his face and having the patience to let him fall on his own sword. Your very presence at close range is enough to scare him into taking risks or playing passively for fear of getting punished.

Nothing is a guarantee with Hugo but that forces you to play smart, make reads, and engage in footsies. Calm your poo poo, take stock of the situation, and capitalise on every opportunity. Just don't be in a rush to create them. If you're playing it right, the opportunities will come.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Thanks dudes, my sf goal at the moment is getting one over on that guy so the reads on him are appreciated too haha

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Thanks dudes, my sf goal at the moment is getting one over on that guy so the reads on him are appreciated too haha

Other people sort of mentioned this, but you have a really weird habit of backdashing and resetting to 2/3 screen when you get a knockdown. Like, I think I saw 3 times you score a knockdown and you backdashed and then just started playing a midrange game, even when they were cornered. Hugo does not want to be at long range against Ryu. If you do this because you don't feel comfortable up close, that's a sign that you need to develop a strategy for when you're up close and have advantage.

Just standing next to someone as they wake up is threatening if you're Hugo. Get a catalog of like 3 or 4 things you can do against someone on their wake up, along with obviously "do nothing", and just alternate between them. They don't even have to be super effective, they just need to be something and they'll be better than what you're doing. Stuff like a clap, or a normal canceled into clap, or a throw, or a surprise dash up command throw, or an overhead or a really fun one: a light move canceled into meat squasher. Hugo's got lots of options. And err on the side of stuff that's safe - don't make it poo poo like that butt overhead that's totally unsafe on block. Use his standing heavy punch overhead, or down down medium kick overhead.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Mio Bison posted:

Can you do his palm reliably on a s.mp > c.mp or any variation? The only combo I've really gotten down - other than a punish s.fierce xx palm - is the j.whatever > s.mp > c.mp xx fireball which isn't a true blockstring.

I'd like to try doing that with palm but lp palm seems to whiff a lot for one, and for two I have a really hard time doing a crouch into a DP move.

• Locked thread