Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've been noticing a lot of assholes lately invoke Godwin whenever someone brings up Nazi comparisons to Australia's current asylum seeker policy, so just in case anyone missed it the first time (it was posted in the Feb thread):

https://twitter.com/sfmnemonic/status/438161224769892352

There is Godwin himself saying the comparisons to nazism are apt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Captain Pissweak posted:

Isn't it too late for this? I was under the impression that they washed their hands of them immediately and just got straight to handing them back over.

Forty one have already been handed over. No one knows where the other 153 are because the Government refuses to tell us.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
What happens when they have inevitably been handed over and they have to tell the high court that? Is Morrison held accountable?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Just spoke with Michelle Grattan from the Conversation. She is writing a piece on the Co-payments. She has selected some of my juicier statements that I was able to get past the other authors :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Captain Pissweak posted:

What happens when they have inevitably been handed over and they have to tell the high court that? Is Morrison held accountable?

Fool! Morrison is above the High Court!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Can't they just tow them out of Australian waters like they did with Tampa

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Can they just demand to see the asylum seekers and declare Morrison in contempt of court until he produces them, shoving him in a detention centre until he does so?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Negligent, you're as much of a bloodthirsty sociopathic shithead as Morrison and Abbott, hope that helps. Please do the right thing and suicidez-vous.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

SynthOrange posted:

EXCUSE ME GOVERNMENT AND LOCAL OFFICIALS THAT HAVE BEEN COMMITTING GENOCIDE AGAINST TAMILS can I get a passport and a ticket out of here?

So if it's true all tamils are victims of genocide then why isn't Australia offering all tamils a blanket refuge...

Just open the doors, come one come all?

That's because some aren't genuine refugees, they are economic migrants.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Negligent posted:

So if it's true all tamils are victims of genocide then why isn't Australia offering all tamils a blanket refuge...

Actually it's because Australia is pretty racist.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Negligent, you're as much of a bloodthirsty sociopathic shithead as Morrison and Abbott, hope that helps. Please do the right thing and suicidez-vous.

I support the unhcr and the orderly access of genuine refugees to durable solutions.

I do not support wealthy people self selecting themselves via people smuggling.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Negligent posted:

Because the Australian government is full of xenophobic, hateful, bigoted shitheads?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
But it doesn't loving matter because you're just doing this played out trolling poo poo akin to that of IWC's posts where you'll spout right wing rhetoric and then we'll get all up in a moral outrage and no one will learn anything of worth from the exchange.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
"If we're not helping the most needy, why should we help anyone ever at all (including the most needy, gently caress those needy arseholes)?"

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Australia's legit migration program isn't racist at all. You have an equal shot regardless of your nationality.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Negligent posted:

If Jews not parasite how I, a hitler, holocaust

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Negligent posted:

Australia's legit migration program isn't racist at all. You have an equal shot regardless of your nationality.

[citation needed]

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
more like outflux. as in get out influx.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
you are actually banned from posting here because your contributions are so terrible

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I don't get why they trot out the "economic migrant" poo poo all the time, it doesn't even make sense. If they were coming here because they can be an economically productive member of society then why shouldn't we let them come and increase our GDP?
The best argument I can think of is that they consider the economy as some sort of system where labor doesn't count as an input. That or they are just racist assholes because a real economic migrant comes on a loving plane.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

"Tamils are victims of genocide"

"Ok so bring them all here"

"Uh .... Australians are racist i don't want them all here either"

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Captain Pissweak posted:

[citation needed]

https://www.immi.gov.au/visas/

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Please direct me to where I said I have a problem with Tamils coming here.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Gough Suppressant posted:

If Jews not parasite how I, a hitler, holocaust

If you don't support allowing literally every asylum seeker in the world to make their claim in Australia you should shut up

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

norp posted:

I don't get why they trot out the "economic migrant" poo poo all the time, it doesn't even make sense. If they were coming here because they can be an economically productive member of society then why shouldn't we let them come and increase our GDP?
The best argument I can think of is that they consider the economy as some sort of system where labor doesn't count as an input. That or they are just racist assholes because a real economic migrant comes on a loving plane.

Why do people think Tony hates economic migrants, just look at all the 457s hes bringing in.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

norp posted:

Most people aren't thinking along those lines, they believe they are moving to get inot a society that will benefit them economically, rather than one that will grant them safety.

This is however, complete bullshit with nothing to support it. These three links are good to show people who suggest otherwise.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-14/no-evidence-bob-carr-economic-migrants/4821544
http://www.politifact.com.au/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/jun/28/bob-carr/are-boat-people-economic-migrants/
http://theconversation.com/factcheck-are-asylum-seekers-really-economic-migrants-15601

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

To recap: i support people assessed by the UNHCR as genuine refugees coming here in sustainable numbers permanently

Other people support allowing every member of a persecuted group to come on a self selecting basis - if you can pay a people smuggler to get here via an unofficial route, you're golden

That is pretty unfair to the people who have no money imo

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

The "wealthy refugee" myth was comprehensively dispelled for you before you were banned from posting here, you knuckle-dragging cretin.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

its not a myth, you have to pay criminals money to get on a boat bound for australia

they dont accept hugs as payment

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Much like Andrew Bolt is a convicted racist, Influx is a convicted Bad Poster.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

fact: people smuggling is a crime.

fact: getting on a boat costs money.

Australia has a finite capacity to absorb asylum seekers, I want those spots to go to people the UN has said are refugees, who have done the right thing. what a terrible opinion.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Negligent posted:

Australia has a finite capacity to absorb asylum seekers

Citation needed.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Negligent posted:

~83% of the asylum seekers from Sri Lanka whose claims have been assessed have so far been found to be geniune. Far better that we send 4 people to persecution, torture and/or murder than let one person potentially take advantage of Australia's prviliged place in the world.

Thanks to Australian law, it's legally impossible for Tamils in Sri Lanka to leave the island and fly to Australia with the intent of claiming asylum. How in the gently caress else are they going to get here, seeing as we've removed the safest option?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

ThirdPartyView posted:

Citation needed.
no country has an INFINITE capacity to absorb migrants of any kind

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Negligent posted:

are you stupid or something, no country has an INFINITE capacity to absorb migrants of any kind

Just as well there's not an infinite supply of migrants.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Those people should apply for asylum here the correct way, by going to the Australian embassy in Sri Lanka and submitting an application for asylum.

then again, maybe we just talked about that for 2 pages and it's not possible hmmmmm

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
It's unfortunate that Tamils were the thing that ended up being the universe's one infinite quantity.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Negligent posted:

are you stupid or something, no country has an INFINITE capacity to absorb migrants of any kind

Prove that the capacity is reached if Australia brings all seekers in, champ. Also, prove said capacity. Thanks.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Murodese posted:

Those people should apply for asylum here the correct way, by going to the Australian embassy in Sri Lanka and submitting an application for asylum.

then again, maybe we just talked about that for 2 pages and it's not possible hmmmmm

you can register with the UNHCR as a refugee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

ThirdPartyView posted:

Prove that the capacity is reached if Australia brings all seekers in, champ. Also, prove said capacity. Thanks.

australia doesnt even have capacity to eradicate poverty and homelessness within its existing population

• Locked thread