Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

It's difficult at that intersection because the sensor doesn't pick up bikes unless you're sitting on the right loop. Otherwise I would be sitting in a blocking position in the lane. The other two cars were fairly normal lazy passes. Thankfully I usually take a different route to work and can avoid this intersection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I had the worst/best dream last night.

I dreamed that I was out riding with people and someone had let me ride their 690SMC. It was rad as hell and I was wheelie'ing everywhere and having a blast.

Then I woke up and nearly cried because I don't even have a bike right now, much less a kickin' rad KTM Sumo. I can't even get one in the states.

I have a credit card with a $4000 limit, good credit, why can't I just be like every other idiot American and just put myself in debt up to my eyeballs?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 6, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Beach Bum posted:

I had the worst/best dream last night.

I dreamed that I was out riding with people and someone had let me ride their 690SMC. It was rad as hell and I was wheelie'ing everywhere and having a blast.

Then I woke up and nearly cried because I don't even have a bike right now, much less a kickin' rad KTM Sumo. I can't even get one in the states.

I have a credit card with a $4000 limit, good credit, why can't I just be like every other idiot American and just put myself in debt up to my eyeballs?

Maybe get a personal loan for a used bike? Lower interest rate, shouldn't be bad if you keep the purchase price to $5-6000. Just my $0.02.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

So I leave my bike parked on the sidewalk overnight in our quiet neighborhood and what do I find as I walk up to it today? Somebody rolled up a cardboard chipper plate plus napkin and left it on the handlebars. The hell? The bike obstructed nothing, I'd have expected no more than two dozen people to even walk past it, and there is not even a fast food place nearby. Never mind the trash can across the street...

Well, I guess I should be happy that's all I have to complain about.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

morothar posted:

So I leave my bike parked on the sidewalk overnight in our quiet neighborhood and what do I find as I walk up to it today? Somebody rolled up a cardboard chipper plate plus napkin and left it on the handlebars. The hell? The bike obstructed nothing, I'd have expected no more than two dozen people to even walk past it, and there is not even a fast food place nearby. Never mind the trash can across the street...

Well, I guess I should be happy that's all I have to complain about.

Make sure they didn't shove anything in your tailpipe.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Thats just good advice in general really

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Woop, I got a parking ticket. I'd parked on the pavement in a private car park, miles away from anywhere people would want to walk, because I've seen more than one car just plough into a bike parked in a car parking bay.

The guy who wrote it out told me it was for "health and safety" reasons but that's bollocks, it's a naked money grab (£90! but it will be discounted to £50 if you pay up NOW NOW NOW!) that has no actual legal basis, it's actually an invoice for breaching the contract under which you park.

I'm going to write them a nastygram offering them a settlement of kissing my left bollock but offering to meet them half-way by them loving off and never bothering me again.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My dad has several parking tickets from my university from back when I was in college, all of them threatening that if he doesn't pay, his grades will be withheld and he won't be able to graduate.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The guy who wrote it out told me it was for "health and safety" reasons but that's bollocks, it's a naked money grab (£90! but it will be discounted to £50 if you pay up NOW NOW NOW!) that has no actual legal basis, it's actually an invoice for breaching the contract under which you park.

I wonder what the legal basis for that would be? Maybe that you partook of their services without the adequate payment? Although there is no way that they would charge you 90 quid to park. I know London is expensive, but that is exorbitant. The whole "breaking a contract" think is testicles unless you had prior business with them and signed something that had hilarious fine print.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

I wonder what the legal basis for that would be? Maybe that you partook of their services without the adequate payment? Although there is no way that they would charge you 90 quid to park. I know London is expensive, but that is exorbitant. The whole "breaking a contract" think is testicles unless you had prior business with them and signed something that had hilarious fine print.

It's legal for them to do so (it's part of the conditions of entrance to the retail park) as long as the conditions are displayed at sufficient size at the entrance and appropriate intervals throughout. I don't think they are and if my initial gambit (which I'll explain in a second) fails I'll have to head back with a camera and a tape measure because these companies *never* make the signs big enough or regular enough. This sort of implicit contract is common across pretty much all jurisdictions (which is one of the places the freemen-on-the-land loons get their ideas from), and it's legal as long as the conditions aren't overly restrictive, unfair, or onerous.

However I'm starting off with a much more fun gambit - that small claims court (and they won't be allowed to take the case anywhere else) only allows people to reclaim provable direct losses. Given I wasn't parked obstructing any entrance or gangway or parking space, they can't claim loss of revenue to the shops in the park, and so I'm going to offer to settle and pay the equivalent parking charge for the time I stayed there, which is exactly zero pounds.

If they want money out of me they're going to have to take me to court and there's no way that they'll bother because it'll eat into their profit margin.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah in general if it isn't the government giving you a fine you don't gotta worry about it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'll have to head back with a camera and a tape measure because these companies *never* make the signs big enough or regular enough.

Incidentally, this is a good strategy to use if you get pulled over for rolling through a stop sign. There's an official height and position the signs have to be at, and if they don't meet that requirement they aren't considered valid signs. Also keep this in mind for the little baby stop signs in parking lots, or the gigantic ones that some HOAs put up out of spite -- there's a specific size that is legal and no others.

Of course, don't run stop signs in the first place cause you'll get killed, but you know what I mean.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was told once that stop signs in private lots weren't really compulsory cause the cops don't have control there. It kinda makes sense cause I know they don't mess around with parking lot accidents, but at the same time don't people get ticketed for parking in handicapped spots? Or does that only happen on city streets and not really at wal mart or w/e?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

nsaP posted:

I was told once that stop signs in private lots weren't really compulsory cause the cops don't have control there. It kinda makes sense cause I know they don't mess around with parking lot accidents, but at the same time don't people get ticketed for parking in handicapped spots? Or does that only happen on city streets and not really at wal mart or w/e?

The basic idea is that anyone can put up a suggested stop on their property, but that doesn't mean it's going to be enforced by the city.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Not sure about other countries, but the Police can, and I've seen them do it before, enforce in parking lots, etc. It's classed as public road as long as it connects to the roads somehow, which, every parking lot ever does.

Unless there is literally no connection between the parking lot and the road it's free reign for them.

e: Boomgates, etc. don't count as separating it either. Has to be lockable, etc.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
It depends on whether or not the business has an arrangement with the local PD. Here (Montana) they will do accident reports and take statements, if an accident occurs on private property and you call them to report it, for insurance purposes if nothing else.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Easy and quick rule of thumb is who pays for the plowing or would pay if the area got snow I guess. If it ain't a town or state truck or a truck contracted by the state, county, or town, pushing snow by a sign, it might as well not exist.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Also don't assume anything with American laws applies to Brits, or Kiwis

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
About the parking lot thing, on this one episode of basically Dutch-watered-down-COPS, there's these guys practicing wheelies in the parking lot of a closed Home Depot or w/e, not another soul in sight. Officer takes their licenses all the same because it counts as a public road.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I swear to the dark gods that if I have to listen to another person ask "Why are the zippers on the wrong side? Is this a wimin jacket?" I'll shout "MAH FREEDUM" and kick them in the nuts.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
It's just the difference between Euro and American "sides," isn't it? My Rev'It jacket's got the zipper on the left, but the Firstgear's is on the right.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yeah, European is on the opposite of US. True Americans don't buy that crap.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I like my jackets metric because I don't want to have to go out and buy a bunch of new zippers and hoods and all that stuff.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I had no idea mens and womens zippers had different sides

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
They do for pants and stuff, primarily. Belts also go on the opposite way. If you'd ever been in close proximity to a woman, you'd know this.

edit: The zipper itself is identical, you are correct. It's the flap and stuff that is switched.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've been married for over 14 years and I honestly could not tell you if my wife's coat/hoodie zippers were attached any differently than mine. Read into that what you will.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever thought about zippers period, unless there was one stuck on my jacket or something

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I bought a sweatshirt in Europe once and the zipper was on the opposite. I've never had to undress a girl starting at the coat though so that one is new to me.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
All I know about left/right stuff is that women's button ups have the buttons on the other side. I didn't realize the flap was left/right as well.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I never knew (or noticed I guess) that jackets had zippers on different sides.

I'm going to have to check all of mine when I get home. Which is the women side and which is the bro?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Bugdrvr posted:

I never knew (or noticed I guess) that jackets had zippers on different sides.

I'm going to have to check all of mine when I get home. Which is the women side and which is the bro?

Men's clothing button left-over-right, women's button right-over-left. Nobody really knows why. There are a bunch of theories, but they're all stupid.

The zipper side may change US versus everyone else, but buttons sure don't.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

TheNothingNew posted:

Men's clothing button left-over-right, women's button right-over-left. Nobody really knows why. There are a bunch of theories, but they're all stupid.

The reason I always heard was that gentlemen dressed themselves, but ladies were assisted by their servants due to the complexity of ye olde ruffled and frilled dresses, so were reversed so the help could operate the buttons/buckles/ties more easily.

tjones
May 13, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

The reason I always heard was that gentlemen dressed themselves, but ladies were assisted by their servants due to the complexity of ye olde ruffled and frilled dresses, so were reversed so the help could operate the buttons/buckles/ties more easily.

I was always told this reason as well.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So why do modern European men's jackets have reversed zippers? Did euros all change after 1776 because they were mad at us?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:psyduck: I have never heard of any of this and am now questioning if I've slipped into a parallel universe or some poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Men's clothing has the "functional" part of the fastener (the buttons or the zipper pull) on the right side. Women's clothing has it on the left side. European men's motorcycle jackets have the zipper pull on the left side for some reason.

Go take a look at your clothes and report back.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Holy gently caress.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I ended up getting issued a women's coat in boot camp and it caused all sorts of dramedy until I got the right one. When you have 80 dudes line up in ranks, the guy with the undersized and backwards coat sticks out like mad.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
CA full of fashion unconscious men, more at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

nsaP posted:

CA full of fashion unconscious men, more at 11.

Missed the obvious 'too used to wearing their sister's clothing' angle