Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

MC Nietzche posted:

That long rambling recollection was by way of saying that Clinton seemed invincible then too, but she's 6 years older and making the same god damned stupid, unforced errors. I mean, remember, Terry loving McAuliffe ran that campaign. No one made him pick her, and that kind of dumbass poo poo ran down the line. The advantages she had 6 years ago are the same advantages people are touting now, the only thing she's done in the meantime was be Secretary of State, and who the hell even knows what the SecState does besides political junkies?
Terry McCauliffe did not run the Clinton 08 campaign, he will also be too busy to have any kind of campaign roll before Iowa in this next cycle. I see zero evidence Clinton is going to make any of the same tactical mistakes she made in 08.

MC Nietzche posted:

The only problem I see is no one on the horizon to take her down, but that was true in 2008 too. Maybe Reid will pull another rabbit out of his hat and stop the juggernaut again.
You hadn't heard of Barack Obama in 2008? that's pretty nutty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I remember just after Obama's speech at the '04 telling a friend that we'd just watched the next President speak. Hadn't heard of the guy at the time, but goddamn can he give speeches.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

DynamicSloth posted:

Terry McCauliffe did not run the Clinton 08 campaign, he will also be too busy to have any kind of campaign roll before Iowa in this next cycle. I see zero evidence Clinton is going to make any of the same tactical mistakes she made in 08.
You hadn't heard of Barack Obama in 2008? that's pretty nutty.

Terry McAuliffe was the chairman of her bid to get the nomination. And yes, I had heard of Obama, I was being loose with the timeline for the nomination run. That being said, I don't think anybody at the time expected him to win in 2008, even after his 2004 Keynote. People were saying it was too early.

edit: Also, as for tactical mistakes, that "we were dead broke line" runs along the same lines as "dodging sniper fire."

MC Nietzche fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 7, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

To clarify the GOP is definitely going to go and use misogyny as part of their anti-Hillary platform. The issue is that typically white, republican-voting women don't think it applies to them. For example look at the women supporting the Hobby Lobby decision either because their job isn't run by fundamentalists, they can afford birth control themselves, or they are hard right Christians that aren't having non-reproductive sex. A ranking female republican recently wrote an article where the thrust was men in her party needed to stop SAYING misogynistic things, but didn't really care if they pushed policies that hurt women as a whole. If the GOP can keep their messaging out of Akin territory and maintain the dog whistling so that it's OTHER women that are the problem I don't think they will have to worry to much about losing large amounts of votes. If I was a Republican strategist all I would be thinking of now are gendered insults for Hillary that fall outside of slandering their base. Of course these guys often actually believe what they are saying so there's a huge possibility they will just let it all loose and insult over half the country in their attempt to win as many hateful male votes they can but I don't think we can just assume that will happen.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 7, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

I remember just after Obama's speech at the '04 telling a friend that we'd just watched the next President speak. Hadn't heard of the guy at the time, but goddamn can he give speeches.

I remember his name being a social drink in whatever goon-made drinking game I was playing that night. I got blitzed.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

MC Nietzche posted:

Terry McAuliffe was the chairman of her bid to get the nomination. And yes, I had heard of Obama, I was being loose with the timeline for the nomination run. That being said, I don't think anybody at the time expected him to win in 2008, even after his 2004 Keynote. People were saying it was too early.
Chairman is a nice honorary title that mostly exists outside the structure of people who actually do run a campaign, Clinton had co-chair's for every primary contest and the position is usually given to important politicians whose endorsement she'd want to highlight not political operatives who run campaigns. McAuliffe was never in any sense in charge of the campaign, he got a nice sounding title because he was the best fundraiser.

This is nonsense. Many people at this point in 2006 thought Obama was seeking the presidency and his national name recognition was double what Elizabeth Warren's is now, by February he'd be out fundraising Clinton. There is no one is a position to replicate Obama's track to the White House today.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

DynamicSloth posted:

Chairman is a nice honorary title that mostly exists outside the structure of people who actually do run a campaign, Clinton had co-chair's for every primary contest and the position is usually given to important politicians whose endorsement she'd want to highlight not political operatives who run campaigns. McAuliffe was never in any sense in charge of the campaign, he got a nice sounding title because he was the best fundraiser.

This is nonsense. Many people at this point in 2006 thought Obama was seeking the presidency and his national name recognition was double what Elizabeth Warren's is now, by February he'd be out fundraising Clinton. There is no one is a position to replicate Obama's track to the White House today.

Well then, your data beats my anecdote. I'm running mostly off memories of 2007-2008, and it's not like I was highly placed or anything, just working out of one office in a state Clinton was never going to lose. In my heart of hearts what I worry about is Clinton getting the nom and then punting the general to some Republican whackjob. They are going to be fired up, a weak Democratic campaign would be catastrophic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Radish posted:

I get the feeling this kind of thing is the way Hillary could blow the election. Republicans are going to vote so hard their election machines will catch fire after eight years of Obama with the thought of their great enemy Hillary in the Presidency. If she spends her time making stupid "Hey I can understand how poor you guys are since I was broke" statements while cozying up to Wall Street types that not only want more money, but to reduce social services it's not going to be a compelling campaign. We can talk about how important it is that we get a Democrat to nominate RBG's scotus replacement but that isn't going to drive non-political types to the polls on election day. If the GOP can keep their misogyny in check and only infer that the younger, unmarried types are the "bad ones" they won't have to worry too much about middle class, white, married women leaving their party in droves.

They can't. They can't talk to both their base and the public at large while remaining viable in a general election. And they are going to be looking at less than 10% of the latino vote considering those videos from CA getting widespread play.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 7, 2014

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

MC Nietzche posted:

Well then, your data beats my anecdote. I'm running mostly off memories of 2007-2008, and it's not like I was highly placed or anything, just working out of one office in a state Clinton was never going to lose. In my heart of hearts what I worry about is Clinton getting the nom and then punting the general to some Republican whackjob. They are going to be fired up, a weak Democratic campaign would be catastrophic.

Whoever wins, we lose.

Just kiddin'. I'll be voting for Hillary, since I'm not (completely) dumb and/or insane.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

mcmagic posted:

They can't. They can't talk to both their base and the public at large white remaining viable in a general election. And they are going to be looking at less than 10% of the latino vote considering those videos from CA getting widespread play.

That's a fairly accurate typo.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

They're not still using "I'm ready for Hillary!" as the campaign slogan, are they? Because that's honestly one of the worst slogans I've ever heard.

It's what someone would say right before undergoing a colonoscopy. No excitement or enthusiasm, just forced acceptance. You're not going to like it, but this is the way it's going to be and there's nothing you can do about it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

mcmagic posted:

They can't. They can't talk to both their base and the public at large while remaining viable in a general election. And they are going to be looking at less than 10% of the latino vote considering those videos from CA getting widespread play.

Link? I haven't heard about this

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Magres posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/showdown-border-marietta-texas-24406477

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Magres posted:

Probably referring to protesters in CA that blocked buses carrying loads of refugees/'detainees'.

More info here: http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80695527/

Also if you haven't stopped by the freep thread, you can head there and watch them lose their minds over this.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Ooooh okay I heard about that. Yeah those people are loving lunatics. I'm glad counter-protestors got going and started outnumbering them though, at least according to the LA Times article

I really ought to start reading the FReep thread again

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 7, 2014

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

How much do you wanna bet that "Not our kids, not our problem" lady views herself as a good Christian?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Magres posted:

Ooooh okay I heard about that. Yeah those people are loving lunatics. I'm glad counter-protestors got going and started outnumbering them though, at least according to the LA Times article

Do your liver a favor and don't. At least wait until the election starts in earnest next year, if you have to.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How much do you wanna bet that "Not our kids, not our problem" lady views herself as a good Christian?

There is no risk to saying "yes" to this. I stopped just short of saying to someone last night that a hell fence on the border and ignoring the problem doesn't speak much for America having any kind of moral high ground as the self-styled most prosperous nation on earth.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They're not still using "I'm ready for Hillary!" as the campaign slogan, are they? Because that's honestly one of the worst slogans I've ever heard.
There is no official campaign to officially provide official slogans, "Ready for Hillary" was a PAC started by amateurs that managed to grow successful enough at small donor outreach that Clinton eventually had to accept into her pre-election orbit, if everything had gone according to plan Priorities Action USA would have been the official (unofficial) Clinton PAC.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Warmachine posted:

There is no risk to saying "yes" to this. I stopped just short of saying to someone last night that a hell fence on the border and ignoring the problem doesn't speak much for America having any kind of moral high ground as the self-styled most prosperous nation on earth.

We have the best marketing campaign though. "Freedom, Opportunity, LIberty!! But only if you're a high-skilled worker with years of patience and/or a connection to get in - sorry about your dire circumstances back home but we have other countries to bomb right now."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Isn't it actually even dumber in the book? Like a few of the TITANS OF INDUSTRY gardened as a hobby and that would be all they need. After all as TITANS OF INDUSTRY they would no doubt be far more productive with their farms than those leeches that are regular farmers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Taerkar posted:

Isn't it actually even dumber in the book? Like a few of the TITANS OF INDUSTRY gardened as a hobby and that would be all they need. After all as TITANS OF INDUSTRY they would no doubt be far more productive with their farms than those leeches that are regular farmers.

In the book Galt's Gulch is powered by a literal magic free energy generator.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It's an amazingly concise summary of Randian beliefs that in one of their most important texts the hero invents a perpetual motion machine capable of generating limitless energy for free and then decides to keep it all to himself rather than let anyone use any of his literally infinite energy.

Like, even hypothesizing a bottomless pile of resources it's decried as immoral to share any of it. When you lose nothing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Magres posted:

One of my buddies was an active participant in the counterprotest.

We've had our share of disagreements over US hegemony and all that, but this gig was a noble one.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Chantilly Say posted:

It's an amazingly concise summary of Randian beliefs that in one of their most important texts the hero invents a perpetual motion machine capable of generating limitless energy for free and then decides to keep it all to himself rather than let anyone use any of his literally infinite energy.

Like, even hypothesizing a bottomless pile of resources it's decried as immoral to share any of it. When you lose nothing.

It's the principle of giving something to someone who hasn't :airquote: earned :airquote: it. Remember that the one thing Ayn Rand hated most over anything else was altruism.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Chantilly Say posted:

"I could use this magic free energy machine to literally solve all world hunger and guarantee a high standard of living for every person on Earth, becoming the greatest hero the world has ever known...

...or I could keep it in my basement and use it to never work again. Haha, owned libtards." -- A Nietzschean superman

It's telling not only that this is Rand's characters' immediate reaction to the discovery of a perpetual motion machine, but also that she included a perpetual motion machine in her plans for a glorious Makers' Utopia at all. Such a fantastic element being a crucial part of her ideal implementation of her own philosophy seems to be an intrinsic admission that it'd never actually work.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's the principle of giving something to someone who hasn't :airquote: earned :airquote: it. Remember that the one thing Ayn Rand hated most over anything else was altruism.

Doesn't the pirate character die to save the lives of the other heroes? It seems like the people he saved should have spit on his corpse for not living up to the Objectivist ideal and just letting everyone die to save his own rear end.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Radish posted:

Doesn't the pirate character die to save the lives of the other heroes? It seems like the people he saved should have spit on his corpse for not living up to the Objectivist ideal and just letting everyone die to save his own rear end.

Le gasp! You mean to tell me that Randian Philosophy isn't the most rational or consistent? Really?

Goes to show that even (beep-boop) rationalist would magic inconsistencies away. They do have something in common with modern Conservatives!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Apparently a group of Seattle business owners has collected enough signatures to put a repeal of the $15 minimum wage increase on the ballot for November.

:fuckoff:

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 7, 2014

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

mdemone posted:

You already know that they can't. Ask any recent female Democratic candidate how she thinks the GOP will respond to Hillary Clinton on a national ticket -- I bet the responses would be golden.

But I take your larger point about HRC 3rd-waying herself into a corner. In the meantime, we can console ourselves with toy math about white married women, because whether one likes it or not, identity politics is going to be worth at least a couple of percentage points in an election with the first female presidential candidate. But can we keep enough men? I worry about Bradley-effect misogyny because I think it's way more ingrained in 18yr-40yr white men (at this point in history) than racism was during the Obama elections.

Except there's no real evidence the bradley effect exist(ed) never mind the completely baseless supposition that it exists in the context of sexism in polling vs results. I'd love to see the evidence that makes you believe white men are more sexist than the are racist, too- never heard that one before.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Thankfully we have Democrats looking out for small businesses to combat patent trolls--oh.
Patent-troll fight ends in retreat

quote:

Tarrant found Leahy's action particularly hard to swallow given that a patent troll bill had passed, 325-91, in December in the ultra-contentious House of Representatives, and that President Barack Obama had said he would sign a bill.

U.S. Rep. Peter Welch, D-Vt., called the vote in the House a "miracle of miracles."

"We had a bipartisan bill on a very important issue, protecting our small businesses, nonprofits and entrepreneurs from these stick-up artists that are lower than low — patent trolls," Welch said in a recent interview.

So what could possibly have gone wrong in a Democratically controlled Senate?

"You have this divided House that is so partisan typically, and they're able to get a strong bill through," Tarrant said. "The president of the United States comes out and strongly supports it. He mentions it in his State of the Union address that he wants to see a bill. And the Democratically controlled Senate can't even get a bill to the floor for a vote? I think it's disgusting."

In an interview with the Burlington Free Press, Leahy said he was essentially forced to drop the bill by U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

"I am furious with what happened," Leahy said. "We worked so hard to get a coalition. Harry Reid and a couple of others said, 'We won't let it come to the floor.' I think that's wrong, but I'm not going to give up."

Calls to Reid's office seeking comment were not returned last week.

Leahy said opposition to the bill came primarily from the bio-pharmaceutical industry, along with universities and trial lawyers. The Vermont senator's postmortem confirmed rampant speculation in the Washington media that Reid had strong-armed Leahy at the behest of lobbyists representing those groups.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Probably referring to protesters in CA that blocked buses carrying loads of refugees/'detainees'.

More info here: http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80695527/

Also if you haven't stopped by the freep thread, you can head there and watch them lose their minds over this.

Many of our poor areas in the south are very hispanic, with trash and mattresses and all kinds of bullshit lying in the streets. With illegal businesses run out of tucks here and there.

Our high schools do have a huge number of ELL students that take up extra resources over a student who can already speak the language. Many of them drop out when they can't get enough support.

The difference between a republican and a democrat is the solution.

Republican solution: more bombs, more walls, more bullets, more soldiers.

Democrat solution: stop spending so much god drat money on bombs so we can care for people.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
But caring for people is so boring and expensive and goes to minorities and means we don't get to test our next iteration of military hardware on the next nation that we blindly carefully with respect to corporate interests choose to lash out against.

Tell me this: how many explosions will I see if I help an immigrant? Because if the answer is zero, I ain't helpin'. :colbert:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Taerkar posted:

It's monumentally dumb. Galt's Gulch was powered by a mix of perpetual motion machines (which are literally physically impossible) and the engines that Galt invented that ran off of ambient, static electricity and produced effectively unlimited power (which is, of course, literally physically impossible). They ran all of their little society off of robots and automation with minimal effort. One thing Rand assumed was that these TITANS OF INDUSTRY were unbelievable geniuses that could figure out anything they needed to instantly but were being held back by society. She literally argued that if we completely took the reins off this would happen but if we don't then Galt and Pals will punish us by doing a Galt's Gulch thing.

It's...pretty damned stupid. She argued that if Galt created the magic static engine that he should be able to own the idea absolutely forever and make as much money as he wanted, which is, you know, kind of not how that sort of thing works, especially if you want to have a functional society. You wouldn't even necessarily have to "steal" the idea or "force" him to give it to everybody if it's just that drat good. He could have drawn up blueprints and said "hey have fun, Imma go live in my Gulch. Later, shitlords" and left everybody else to do their thing but instead he threw a tantrum and decided to destroy the world's economy deliberately. One thing a lot of Randists fail to realize is that the Galt Revolution literally left the whole world as a starving ruin, except Galt's Gulch. That's pretty hosed up.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's monumentally dumb. Galt's Gulch was powered by a mix of perpetual motion machines (which are literally physically impossible) and the engines that Galt invented that ran off of ambient, static electricity and produced effectively unlimited power (which is, of course, literally physically impossible). They ran all of their little society off of robots and automation with minimal effort. One thing Rand assumed was that these TITANS OF INDUSTRY were unbelievable geniuses that could figure out anything they needed to instantly but were being held back by society. She literally argued that if we completely took the reins off this would happen but if we don't then Galt and Pals will punish us by doing a Galt's Gulch thing.

It's...pretty damned stupid. She argued that if Galt created the magic static engine that he should be able to own the idea absolutely forever and make as much money as he wanted, which is, you know, kind of not how that sort of thing works, especially if you want to have a functional society. You wouldn't even necessarily have to "steal" the idea or "force" him to give it to everybody if it's just that drat good. He could have drawn up blueprints and said "hey have fun, Imma go live in my Gulch. Later, shitlords" and left everybody else to do their thing but instead he threw a tantrum and decided to destroy the world's economy deliberately. One thing a lot of Randists fail to realize is that the Galt Revolution literally left the whole world as a starving ruin, except Galt's Gulch. That's pretty hosed up.

Also Galt's Gulch was covered by magical cloaking screens that prevented any of 'those' people from being able to find it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One thing Rand assumed was that these TITANS OF INDUSTRY were unbelievable geniuses that could figure out anything they needed to instantly but were being held back by society. She literally argued that if we completely took the reins off this would happen but if we don't then Galt and Pals will punish us by doing a Galt's Gulch thing.

Remember BioShock? It really was a great retort against this idea. All the brilliant engineers and moguls and scientists and artists and poets Go Galt in an underwater paradise city and, unfettered as they are by the limitations of BIG GOVT, create magnificent works of invention and art beyond anything previously imagined. And then inside of five years the whole thing collapses into a post-apocalyptic mess of babbling psychopaths murdering each other for drugs while the city crumbles and leaks because it turns out society actually had a pretty good reason for holding those people back after all :allears:

(yeah yeah :goonsay:)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Taerkar posted:

I haven't read Atlas Shrugged (Fountainhead was enough to know I didn't want to read the same awful poo poo but 3 times as long) so I'm talking Randroid generalizations here, but one thing I've heard from those types is that the TITANS OF INDUSTRY are literally the only people in the world with genius and initiative. They could do anyone else's job because they're so brilliant, but nobody could start a successful company but them.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Their minds would absolutely be blown by Jonas Salk then. He invented the polio vaccine. And you know what? He decided that he had enough money as a doctor and didn't patent it, giving up around 7 billion dollars in today's money. He did this in order to make the vaccine cheap as possible so the entirety of humanity could benefit from it. From rich to poor.

Libertarians probably would have jacked up the price as much as possible, so they made sure people that 'deserved' it got it. The sooner these fucks go off to form Libertopia away from us and pollute themselves to death and eat each other alive, the better.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I always find it hilarious when libertarians threaten to "go Galt". Society would be improved so much by their absence from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
http://www.salon.com/2014/07/06/the_god_that_sucked_how_the_tea_party_right_just_makes_the_1_percent_richer/

quote:

For all this vast and sparkling intellectual production, though, Americans hear surprisingly little about what it’s like to be managed. Perhaps the reason for this is because, when viewed from below, all the glittering, dazzling theories of management seem to come down to the same ugly thing. This is the lesson that Barbara Ehrenreich learns from the series of low-wage jobs that she works and then describes in bitter detail in her book “Nickel and Dimed.” Pious chatter about “free agents” and “empowered workers” may illuminate the covers of Fast Company and Business 2.0, but what strikes one most forcefully about the world of waitresses, maids and Wal-Mart workers that Ehrenreich enters is the overwhelming power of management, the intimidating array of advantages it holds in its endless war on wages. This is a place where even jobs like housecleaning have been Taylorized to extract maximum output from workers (“You know, all this was figured out with a stopwatch,” Ehrenreich is told by a proud manager at a maid service), where omnipresent personality and drug tests screen out those of assertive nature, where even the lowliest of employees are overseen by professional-grade hierarchs who crack the whip without remorse or relent, where workers are cautioned against “stealing time” from their employer by thinking about anything other than their immediate task, and where every bit of legal, moral, psychological, and anthropological guile available to advanced civilization is deployed to prevent the problem of pay from ever impeding the upward curve of profitability. This is the real story of life under markets.

The social panorama that Ehrenreich describes should stand as an eternal shrine to the god that sucked: slum housing that is only affordable if workers take on two jobs at once; exhausted maids eating packages of hot-dog buns for their meals; women in their 20s so enfeebled by this regimen that they can no longer lift the vacuum cleaners that the maid service demands they carry about on their backs; purse searches, drug tests, personality tests, corporate pep rallies. Were we not so determined to worship the market and its boogie-boarding billionaires, Ehrenreich suggests, we might even view their desperate, spent employees as philanthropists of a sort, giving selflessly of their well-being so that the comfortable might live even more comfortably. “They neglect their own children so that the children of others will be cared for,” she writes; “they live in substandard housing so that other homes will be shiny and perfect; they endure privation so that inflation will be low and stock prices high.”

• Locked thread