Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm enjoying the actiony summer popcorn fodder for what it is, gently caress you guys.

If you're arguing over whether or not an A4 or whatever is the most acceptable model of RPG for this post apocalyptic scenario maybe you should stop posting and think about the life choices that lead you to this point. Just sayin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm glad the mole got found out, so we can be done with that bullshit, but the new wrinkle of the bubble boy on the Russian cruiser obviously being a host/asymptomatic carrier of the virus/immune could be just as dumb and disruptive.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm glad the mole got found out, so we can be done with that bullshit, but the new wrinkle of the bubble boy on the Russian cruiser obviously being a host/asymptomatic carrier of the virus/immune could be just as dumb and disruptive.

Yeah really thanks the loving stars for that development. Moles are a detriment to almost every story they're in.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why didn't they just finish off that goddamn Russian ship? Since the Russki captain's dead-set to get that strain, there's going to be another encounter eventually, with shots exchanged.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
They probably didn't want to reveal their true position and get themselves fired on by the Russians in the process, the Russian ship's weapons systems weren't damaged by the blast.

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 7, 2014

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why didn't they just finish off that goddamn Russian ship? Since the Russki captain's dead-set to get that strain, there's going to be another encounter eventually, with shots exchanged.

Like you said, so we get another encounter.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Because it would have doomed humanity as they probably won't create a cure without the "carrier/patient zero" and the englishman still has his wife/kid on board.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Should've just blown it up anyway. Doesn't sound like there's much of a world left to save.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm tired of crazy bad guys killing their own men to intimidate the enemy.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Revitalized posted:

I'm really liking the Gitmo guy the brought on board. Tex?

Stanton.
Stanton Parish.

And he's immortal.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

mcbexx posted:

Stanton.
Stanton Parish.

And he's immortal.

gently caress, that's who that guy is! That's been bugging me for a week. Thanks!

But now I'm reminded of Alphas...and Gary. drat you, sir! :argh:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Wandle Cax posted:

They probably didn't want to reveal their true position and get themselves fired on by the Russians in the process, the Russian ship's weapons systems weren't damaged by the blast.
I dunno, the Russians probably would've just turned tail for another day. You can't risk shooting at the ship with all the stuff you want on it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Nobody is going to poo-poo that whole 4 feet of aluminum foil equals destroyer on radar part? That for me is more of a sticking point then why or why didnt they fire on the Russians.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

Nobody is going to poo-poo that whole 4 feet of aluminum foil equals destroyer on radar part? That for me is more of a sticking point then why or why didnt they fire on the Russians.

I don't know anything at all about how radars actually work so eh. :shrug:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

I'm sure someone is gonna :spergin: all about it soon but honestly it was part of their plan so if it wasn't going to be "duct tape aluminium to some poles" they would've just done some other "spoof radar signature" trick for someone to :spergin: about and say they did wrong and how the Russians should be the real protagonists of the show because :ussr:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Sober posted:

I'm sure someone is gonna :spergin: all about it soon but honestly it was part of their plan so if it wasn't going to be "duct tape aluminium to some poles" they would've just done some other "spoof radar signature" trick for someone to :spergin: about and say they did wrong and how the Russians should be the real protagonists of the show because :ussr:

I expect someone to :spergin: about using the wrong brand of foil, or clarify that tin foil works better than aluminum, or that it was shaped wrong or something.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Made no loving sense.

For one, the aluminium foil would have been a passive reflector, just like the ship's hull to begin with. The ship scramming would have resulted in two dots on the Russki radar, at least until they were out of the line of sight.

Which they apparently have been to begin with, after they told the Russians to gently caress off, which means the Russian radar would have stopped seeing them, as soon they shut down their comms and active radar, aluminium foil be damned.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mcbexx posted:

Stanton.
Stanton Parish.

And he's immortal.

John Pyper-Ferguson.

He also played roles in every BSG series. Every series. Including Blood and Chrome. Most notably he was Thomas Vergis, the business rival of Daniel Greystone.

He was also one of the big bads on Jeremiah, but he had a really weird accent. Other than that he's pretty constantly awesome in anything he shows up in.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Made no loving sense.

For one, the aluminium foil would have been a passive reflector, just like the ship's hull to begin with. The ship scramming would have resulted in two dots on the Russki radar, at least until they were out of the line of sight.

Which they apparently have been to begin with, after they told the Russians to gently caress off, which means the Russian radar would have stopped seeing them, as soon they shut down their comms and active radar, aluminium foil be damned.

You have to love that they put it out there that going with full EMCON status somehow makes the ship invisible and how putting up a roll of aluminum foil will somehow mimic the ship (which is bullshit), but they nonchalantly throw out a term like "engage Prairie-Masker," which is a real thing, mind you, and don't spend a single second to say "so he can't hear us on sonar." Evidently John Q. Public was expected to have read Red Storm Rising or something.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
edit - never mind, doesn't matter.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
It's like some of you have never seen a Michael Bay production before.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You have to love that they put it out there that going with full EMCON status somehow makes the ship invisible and how putting up a roll of aluminum foil will somehow mimic the ship (which is bullshit), but they nonchalantly throw out a term like "engage Prairie-Masker," which is a real thing, mind you, and don't spend a single second to say "so he can't hear us on sonar." Evidently John Q. Public was expected to have read Red Storm Rising or something.

also they explicitly use sonar for depth-finding during "EMCON-1A" in which it is called out earlier in the episode that no sonar should be used, wolol

Also, the radar thing was total bullshit. EMCON doesn't do a drat thing about your radar trace. It would have just resulted in two blips on the radar screen, one that looks like a destroyer, and one that looks like some idiot pasted some aluminum foil between two sticks.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Wait do you mean this show isn't realistic? What on earth is this garbage?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

eriktown posted:

also they explicitly use sonar for depth-finding during "EMCON-1A" in which it is called out earlier in the episode that no sonar should be used, wolol

Also, the radar thing was total bullshit. EMCON doesn't do a drat thing about your radar trace. It would have just resulted in two blips on the radar screen, one that looks like a destroyer, and one that looks like some idiot pasted some aluminum foil between two sticks.

On the plus side, Reynolds Wrap now has a new bullet point for their new aluminum foil box.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

eriktown posted:

Yeah. When they said 'that red dot could be any ship,' the better solution would've been to ~magic up~ some similarly-sized ship in the harbor ("oh hey, look it's an old Fletcher class that seems to be sitting in Gitmo's waters for no reason, let's let some of the Junior Officers crew her for a ~team building~ exercise") and park it in front of the DDG. That would've been far more plausible, if still being bullshit.

Let's also not forget that while Russia might be lagging behind on the UAV front, they've managed to tackle those catapult/hand-launched ones that could've kept an eye on the ship even while over the horizon.

But hey. TV show. Good guys must win, bad guys must look dumb/get humbled, etc., etc..

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 8, 2014

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Astroman posted:

So wait, you're disappointed they made the private contractor guards humans who let their prisoners go instead of evil moustache twirling BLACKWATER/Jennings and Rall style thugs? :psyduck:

Yes, because watching evil gitmo detainees becoming traitorous, headscarf wearing, RPG firing, hostage takers straight after being released is pretty drat political when there is currently a debate over how to shut down Camp X-Ray.

And portraying a PMC as a good guy on par with the navy is different to simply having the protagonist as a good guy, it was more flat out propaganda.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Made no loving sense.

They should have spent a few weeks in a tense stalemate while the Russians gradually ate through their food supplies. Then collect all the rum on nearby Cuba and let the Russians "capture" it, watch them get snot flying drunk and then raid/bomb them. Better :colbert:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sri.Theo posted:

And portraying a PMC as a good guy on par with the navy is different to simply having the protagonist as a good guy, it was more flat out propaganda.

You might be onto something there. Kinda anti-PMC if hes only as good as the Navy.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014
Meh. This is Hollywood. I hope not, but the PMC is probably an Al-Qaeda mole. Probably gonna start loving poo poo up once the Russian arc is over.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blackchamber posted:

You might be onto something there. Kinda anti-PMC if hes only as good as the Navy.

So far Tex is pretty loving Aces, so... :colbert:

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I get a little confused with Rhona Mitra looking a lot like Evangeline Lilly... it's eerie.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

My understanding is that there are only 7 more episodes to go. So not really a lot of time to establish story lines, or introduce characters etc. before the season ends. I guess a decision has to be made soon as to wether or not the series will be extended ?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Gotta love the tepidness when it comes to developing TV series these days. Networks practically want to order episode by episode. Just run a drat season and review.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

R-Type posted:

Gotta love the tepidness when it comes to developing TV series these days. Networks practically want to order episode by episode. Just run a drat season and review.

This is what they're doing, no? There's already been a 10-episode season buy?

Can't say I miss the days of 22-26 episode seasons filled with... well, filler. 10-13 episode seasons seem to work great for a lot of shows.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

WarLocke posted:

Can't say I miss the days of 22-26 episode seasons filled with... well, filler. 10-13 episode seasons seem to work great for a lot of shows.

Seriously, not that I don't love West Wing but holy crap those were long seasons.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

WarLocke posted:

This is what they're doing, no? There's already been a 10-episode season buy?

Totally agree. The only show I can think of that does full seasons without stinkers of filler episodes is Person of Interest.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

And Nikita

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Sober posted:

And Nikita

Ah, right. Although season 3 took quite a dip in quality compared to season 2.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Oh lord this is boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Next week on The Last Ship: Some plot devices from Far Cry 3!

• Locked thread