Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

oh it's galtse with google

haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Google can't format email properly and has the typical IT department response

http://mathiasbynens.be/notes/gmail-plain-text

you think they would understand email at this point

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
rufo had some problem with their email headers not working with his elite crypto is this the same thing?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
no that was because they made an unannounced change to the way dkim signing works, ive since resolved it

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

theflyingexecutive posted:

oh it's galtse with google

gootse

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

canadian goatse

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

the guy complaining is a moron, quoted printable isn't plain text and asking for it as if it were is idiotic, especially because HTML mail already solves his word wrap case

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
gmail fucks mail headers sideways.

i moved a client to office 365 from google apps, none of the replies worked after the move because google doesn't actually use smtp (or any other kind of standard headers) for internally routed mail

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the guy defending google is a moron

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

the guy complaining is a moron, quoted printable isn't plain text and asking for it as if it were is idiotic, especially because HTML mail already solves his word wrap case

except there are sometimes reasons to not use html mail

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yes, that reason is your message body must not be MIME encoded because you're interacting with a terrible ancient legacy system, and weirdly enough encoding it using quoted-printable ruins that

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

in conclusion, the OP is a precious twenty-something hacker news star child whining about something he doesn't understand because it makes his iphone look funny and PleasureKevin imported this idiocy to yospos so that we all might suffer

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

yes, that reason is your message body must not be MIME encoded because you're interacting with a terrible ancient legacy system, and weirdly enough encoding it using quoted-printable ruins that

"somebody wants to do a thing that i don't do? that makes no sense!"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that's an excellent summary of his complaint

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

we're all the same

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

duTrieux. posted:

"somebody wants to do a thing that i don't do? that makes no sense!"

don't quote bugtraq itt

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Page, currently Google's CEO, discussed the need for business leaders to maintain a 20-year vision instead of a 4-year vision and revealed the criticism he got from Steve Jobs ("You guys are doing too much stuff.") 

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao he's trying real hard to make it seem like this is a conscious decision to do many things at once when in reality he's handcuffed to the great big pos that google has grown to be.

quote:

I always thought it was kind of stupid if you have this big company, and you can only do, like, five things.

I think it’s also not very good for the employees. Because then you have, like, 30,000 employees and they’re all doing the same thing, which isn’t very exciting. For them.

and thats the real reason lol. trying to hang on to employees so they let them do whatever the gently caress they want. compensation and promotions are tied to starting new projects while maintaining gets u no where. directly related to what that google employee said in his blog post. no benchmarks to reality cause it's all easily rationalized as having a "20-year vision" lmfao

quote:

At Google, for instance, projects can be easily rationalized:

Working at a large, successful company lets you keep your isolation. If you choose, you can just ignore all the inconvenient facts about the world. You can make decisions based on whatever input you choose. The success or failure of your project in the market is not really that important; what's important is whether it gets canceled or not, a decision which is at the whim of your boss's boss's boss's boss, who, as your only link to the unpleasantly unpredictable outside world, seems to choose projects quasi-randomly, and certainly without regard to the quality of your contribution.

It's a setup that makes it very easy to describe all your successes (project not canceled) in terms of your team's greatness, and all your failures (project canceled) in terms of other people's capriciousness. End users and profitability, for example, rarely enter into it. This project isn't supposed to be profitable; we benefit whenever people spend more time online. This project doesn't need to be profitable; we can use it to get more user data. Users are unhappy, but that's just because they're change averse. And so on.

google has 49,829 employees and a market cap of $400 bil. apple has 24,250 employees in the US (50,250 but 26,000 of them are in retail lol) and a market cap of $575 bil. apple is a 38 year old start-up compared to the new great big pos, microsoft 2.0

cremnob fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 7, 2014

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

get hosed

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

more ads

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

more ads until every 5 second film is preceded with an unskippable 30 second ad

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
hey i know let's show ads based on how many new videos are started and not by total viewing time -a clown, at the video streaming circus

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

gonna jizz forever when the house of cards falls apart and google is finally destroyed

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cremnob posted:

gonna jizz forever when the house of cards falls apart and google is finally destroyed

bet you they would get a "too big to fail" bailout, assuming a huge quick implosion and not a slow drawn out death (like ms)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

they have too much money and not enough self preservation instinct to not just gradually fade away by hemorrhaging money for a decade.

that is unless they blind squirrel their way into another adwords somewhere along the way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PleasureKevin posted:

lmao people concerned about sending plain text email to save on characters in tyool 2014

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

finally some blogspam of the information article

http://9to5google.com/2014/07/07/youtube-approaches-300m-viewing-hrs-per-day-fell-short-of-estimates-w-3-5b-revenue-in-2013/

quote:

YouTube was also reported to have revenue of $3.5 billion in 2013, falling short of some analyst estimates placed at between $5 billion and $5.6 billion last year. The company is said to generally pay out about 55% of its gross revenue to content curators on the website, leaving it with net revenue of about $1.5 billion in 2013. YouTube does not publicly disclose its revenue figures.

Increasing revenue is a challenge that YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki faces:

“The figures underscore the growing set of challenges facing Susan Wojcicki, the former Google advertising-products executive who took over YouTube in February, replacing Mr. Kamangar. Ms. Wojcicki is charged with scaling YouTube revenue to tens of billions of dollars, as she did with Google’s core search-ad products.”

lol

quote:

“The YouTube service has suffered repeated delays in part due to internal conflicts, including the fact that the Google Play app store on Android-powered smartphones and tablets already offers a subscription music service. More recently, YouTube has had well-publicized conflicts over licensing contracts with some independent music labels.”

ah yes the microsoftian fiefdoms live on in microsoft 2.0

cremnob fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 7, 2014

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

more ads :supaburn:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
billions and billions of facepalms

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Google has the Apple and msft problem of being too big to actually fail, but in a structural way. long before poo poo got really bad the adults would come in, fire half the workforce, and focus on core competencies like search and Adwords and related techs.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cremnob posted:

finally some blogspam of the information article

http://9to5google.com/2014/07/07/youtube-approaches-300m-viewing-hrs-per-day-fell-short-of-estimates-w-3-5b-revenue-in-2013/

lol

ah yes the microsoftian fiefdoms live on in microsoft 2.0

hehh. so they let employees make copy-cat services in their spare time. what's the harm? oh yeah, when they actually need to make money those employees are now laying down like a bunch of hippies in front of some logging trucks headed for old growth forest. LMFAO

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

they have too much money and not enough self preservation instinct to not just gradually fade away by hemorrhaging money for a decade.

that is unless they blind squirrel their way into another adwords somewhere along the way.

lol yes I'm sure they'll figure out something as profitable as "advertising, but on the internet"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

uncurable mlady posted:

Google has the Apple and msft problem of being too big to actually fail, but in a structural way. long before poo poo got really bad the adults would come in, fire half the workforce, and focus on core competencies like search and Adwords and related techs.

Correct.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

this but with a ballpit

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

if rim cant collapse overnight then theres no hope of a company that actually has customers doing it

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

theadder posted:

this but with a ballpit

the McDonalds Playhouse slides between floors always weirded me out more.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Scott Forstall posted:

i actually went through one. they appear to be totally unused and are way too loving fast.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i actually went through one. they appear to be totally unused and are way too loving fast.

i'm sure that those things don't even get used by people just touring the place (minus you i guess). there has to be an overwhelming sense of "i'm an adult" that kicks in before you can make it into the slide's purple maw (quotee excluded again obviously).

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Scott Forstall posted:

idk about this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

uncurable mlady posted:

except thats exactly what larry page did (minus the firings), and now we just get microsoft 2.0 with idiot shitfucker projects and personal management fiefdoms

plus gentrification and class warfare, etc

• Locked thread