Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The way I see it, economy picking is just sweeping and alternate picking put together. However, you still want to practice alternate picking and sweeping because both by themselves will make you a better economy picker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I try to play the chorus to Fury by Muse to practice what I figure is correct economy picking, it's not incredibly fast however if you tried it in all downstrokes you would quickly fall out.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Master of Puppets and Knights of Cydonia have a lot of good opportunities to economy pick as well.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I forced myself to start strict economy picking one day and now my right hand is completely robotic and controlled. I play all of my lead stuff with as little movement as possible. For slower stuff and rhythm I'll vary it up and switch to downpicking for the feel of it and note emphasis. Economy + jazz pick + light strings is a really good way to force yourself to efficiently focus on every right hand movement.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

NTT posted:

The way I see it, economy picking is just sweeping and alternate picking put together. However, you still want to practice alternate picking and sweeping because both by themselves will make you a better economy picker.

I agree with this, and with the poster who said (paraphrasing) that economy is, at its roots, still basically alternate picking (which I think is fair enough to call default for many people at this point since if you didn't learn fingerstyle you probably learned with a person who taught you alternate picking; if you're totally self-taught maybe you struck on economy out of practicality, though, I kiiiinda did that but learned what the greater guitarist world calls what I was doing pretty early on). Practice all the styles that have anything to do with your style and you'll be a more effective and more versatile guitarist.

Or practice just because there really isn't a downside to consistent, quality practice, haha.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I forced myself to start strict economy picking one day and now my right hand is completely robotic and controlled. I play all of my lead stuff with as little movement as possible. For slower stuff and rhythm I'll vary it up and switch to downpicking for the feel of it and note emphasis. Economy + jazz pick + light strings is a really good way to force yourself to efficiently focus on every right hand movement.

The "don't alternate pick JUST BECAUSE, sometimes it doesn't work as well" part came really easily to me, but I spent a long time trying to get the sweep picking right, and still prefer to do the kinda EJ thing where he really deftly gets under a string to draw out the vibration more - it slows me down modestly compared to sweeps, but the note definition and tone is nicer. I haven't really ever heard sweep picking that I thought was melodically impressive for non-technical reasons. It just doesn't seem to sound very good to me? Yeah, playing every note in the scale on the guitar in no time flat is certainly a little eye-popping the first time you see it in person, but I really don't think I've ever liked the sound of sweep picking, the weird homogeneity of the notes, at least not with distortion. Sweep picking on its own can sound really nice clean, with a good comp to even out the string levels, though. Especially with 7+ string guitars. Somewhere between a piano and a dulcimer like that.

I should practice sweeping more, it's an important skill these days, I just, bleh.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 7, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

"shut up 'n play yer guitar" still the best advice for 99% of guitar related questions!

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
The 5th string won't tighten on my acoustic anymore. It fully loosens fine, but then it will only tighten back up a little and then there is suddenly no tension when tightening with the tuning peg. The screw on the tuning peg also tends to loosen when i try to tighten. Does this mean that I need a new machine head/tuning peg?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

"shut up 'n play yer guitar" still the best advice for 99% of guitar related questions!

This sounds trite on the face of it, and I'm by no means a seasoned guitarist - but I think it holds true for 99% of questions about anything: direct experience is worth infinitely more than learning vicariously.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

The 5th string won't tighten on my acoustic anymore. It fully loosens fine, but then it will only tighten back up a little and then there is suddenly no tension when tightening with the tuning peg. The screw on the tuning peg also tends to loosen when i try to tighten. Does this mean that I need a new machine head/tuning peg?

Yeah.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

It's happened. I've gone insane. And by that I mean that I've decided to have my lefty Jazzmaster built for me... By Ron Kirn. I'm excited as hell and nowhere near good enough to justify this, but gently caress it. He's gonna shape the body this week, it'll then probably take another six weeks until it's done.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Gilgameshback posted:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acoustic-ukuleles/yamaha-gl1-mini-6-string-nylon-guitalele

Very low string tension, small, but plays like a real guitar. Or, as Topher wrote, a fractional Yamaha classical.

I'm a little confused on this line:

"The guitalele's tuning is pitched up to A (or up a 4th) at A/D/G/C/E/A. "

does it not use standard EADGBe tuning?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It clearly states that it is using A standard, up 4 frets from a normal guitar. This is reasonable since smaller string lengths + desiring equal playable tension = naturally higher playing. Consider that if you stapled on those extra four frets at the end of it where the nut was you'd probably end up with a more normal length of instrument neck.

"NO we're not playing a slipknot song, pick a song with the OTHER A standard"

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, so basically any chord shapes she learns on the Yamaha will transfer to a full-size guitar, but if you play a G shape on the guitalele it's really going to be a C. I actually have one of those and it's really fun to play.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

The Bunk posted:

Yeah, so basically any chord shapes she learns on the Yamaha will transfer to a full-size guitar, but if you play a G shape on the guitalele it's really going to be a C. I actually have one of those and it's really fun to play.

For that reason I would probably avoid the Guitalele for any serious learning because if she wants to play along with her favorite songs she'll either be in the wrong key or learning it in a way that won't really transfer to a normally-tuned guitar conveniently.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

TopherCStone posted:

For that reason I would probably avoid the Guitalele for any serious learning because if she wants to play along with her favorite songs she'll either be in the wrong key or learning it in a way that won't really transfer to a normally-tuned guitar conveniently.

Ok, that's what I thought - clearly stated or not, I had not run across this before and wanted to verify.

Thanks for the clarification!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Finding a little flamenco guitar wouldn't be a bad idea either. Nylon strings and small frames :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

NTT posted:

Master of Puppets and Knights of Cydonia have a lot of good opportunities to economy pick as well.

Until you meet the guy who says "No, Metallica must be ALL downpicks."

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I guess they need a new set of musicians to play their old albums then because none of them can play that poo poo anymore

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Wired up some new speakers last night, but the kids were asleep and it was near midnight (Eminence The Wizard and a G12T-75).

Now the blueballs of sitting through work all day waiting to plug in the Jet City. :(

Sockington fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 8, 2014

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

crm posted:

Ok, that's what I thought - clearly stated or not, I had not run across this before and wanted to verify.

Thanks for the clarification!

The guitalele also does fine in Eadgbe tuning, the strings are just a little soft that way. You could put some high tension strings on it to compensate if you're concerned.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

NTT posted:

I guess they need a new set of musicians to play their old albums then because none of them can play that poo poo anymore

Didn't they admit the other day they're starting to get too old to play their stuff?

yep: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallicas-lars-ulrich-i-dont-know-how-long-it-can-last-in-terms-of-the-physical-side-of-what-we-do/

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
They just need to put out some different music. Maybe a couple Cake covers.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Sockington posted:

Wired up some new speakers last night, but the kids were asleep and it was near midnight (Eminence The Wizard and a GT12-75).

Now the blueballs of sitting through work all day waiting to plug in the Jet City. :(

Is the G12T-75 new to you? Out of curiousity, what factors drew you to it? I ask because I used to run a pair in a 2x12 and they sounded a little shrill. Perhaps the Wizard will compliment it and smooth things out.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

So, is anyone here a Gibson history scholar?

One of the guys I work with is closely related to a lady whose name was Lilian Marshall. She had some guitars made with her name on them. There's very little information about these guitars out there in the wild, and most sites say that there are only two known examples in existence.

My potentially very lucky-rear end coworker may have an undocumented third.

I've held the thing in my hands, and if it's not authentic, someone went waaaaaay out of their way to counterfeit one. I'm waiting for him to bring it back by soon so I can check out the top bracing...that seems to be the really unique thing about the Marshall Special. Given his relationship to Lilian, I'm pretty inclined to believe that it's the real deal. He says it's been hanging around various family members' houses for about as long as anyone can remember.

Do you suppose Gibson would be able to authenticate it if I took some nice detailed pictures for them?

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 7, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Acid Reflux posted:

Do you suppose Gibson would be able to authenticate it if I took some nice detailed pictures for them?

Yes. But more importantly, does it have a serial number?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Yes. But more importantly, does it have a serial number?

I'm not sure. I learned a lot more about it *after* I had a chance to fondle it, of course, so when he brings it to me again we're going give it a really detailed examination. I'm not an expert by any stretch, but since he knows precisely squat about guitars other than the fact that he might just have one of the rarest Gibsons in existence, I'll help him out the best I can. :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Turkey Farts posted:

Is the G12T-75 new to you? Out of curiousity, what factors drew you to it? I ask because I used to run a pair in a 2x12 and they sounded a little shrill. Perhaps the Wizard will compliment it and smooth things out.

I'm hoping that's pretty much the case. I put it on the lower half of the 2x12 so it's not blasting at my face.

Edit: I offered the guy $80 for the pair, so that's why it showed up. The Wizard sounded like a good speaker and that covered the cost of the pair.

The cabinet was loaded with a Celestian Seventy80 and a 12" Roland Cube Chinese speaker before since I was on the fence about which to order and just filled it with what I had. These popped up around the block from me and walked over and grabbed them last night.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 7, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Posting for the other guitarist in my band, who is having a very hard time deciding on a new guitar. We need some suggestions, since I think we're tapped out on thoughts.

Currently he plays a standard Les Paul straight into a Peavey Classic combo (the 4x10 one). He does all rhythm, no leads or anything. His tone is great for what we do, which is loud indie/punk type stuff, but his problem is that 1. he hates the way his arm chafes against the body of the guitar and 2. he really needs a good backup for when he breaks strings live. He's quite fond of Telecasters, but wanted to explore all options before just going and getting a Standard Tele or a G&L ASAT. Also, he needs to keep the budget under $500. So far, here's what we've looked at:

Cabronita: Great sound, but can't find a Fender one for the budget. The Squier ones have terrible build quality.

Modern Player Telecaster: Good quality and price, but too many pickups/buttons what have you.

Jaguars/Jazzmasters/Stratocaster: Again, too much stuff on the guitar

Mustang: He really liked the sound, but the short scale was uncomfortable

Epiphone Wilshire: Short scale? Haven't had a chance to see one on the flesh

So there's probably a zillion guitars out there that would fit the bill, but we're just not able to come up with better ideas about sub $500 guitars with simplicity and solid build that are also comfortable for him. Any help would be nice.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Look for a Tele that has the comfort cuts like a Strat if he hates rubbing the edge of the LP. Flat body Teles kind of do the same thing.

Edit: Look at a PRS SE singlecut. Very similar to his LP, but lighter and comfort cuts galore. 1 volume, 1 tone, 1 three way selector (like a Tele).

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Pick out a super strat for him to try. They tend to have more natural curves for arms and there's several very well priced options.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Used-Fender-2013-Pawn-Shop-Super-Sonic-Orange-Sparkle-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110276584-i3828315.gc

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 7, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

If he's worried about his arm chafing against the guitar then a Tele is only going to be worse.

Anyways, I'd say go with a G&L or maybe a Fender Modern Player Jaguar (3 way switch, two knobs)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Posting for the other guitarist in my band, who is having a very hard time deciding on a new guitar. We need some suggestions, since I think we're tapped out on thoughts.

Currently he plays a standard Les Paul straight into a Peavey Classic combo (the 4x10 one). He does all rhythm, no leads or anything. His tone is great for what we do, which is loud indie/punk type stuff, but his problem is that 1. he hates the way his arm chafes against the body of the guitar and 2. he really needs a good backup for when he breaks strings live. He's quite fond of Telecasters, but wanted to explore all options before just going and getting a Standard Tele or a G&L ASAT. Also, he needs to keep the budget under $500. So far, here's what we've looked at:

Cabronita: Great sound, but can't find a Fender one for the budget. The Squier ones have terrible build quality.

Modern Player Telecaster: Good quality and price, but too many pickups/buttons what have you.

So there's probably a zillion guitars out there that would fit the bill, but we're just not able to come up with better ideas about sub $500 guitars with simplicity and solid build that are also comfortable for him. Any help would be nice.

Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster. Make fun of him if he wants the fender name over the squire name on the headstock, because who cares.

But honestly if the guitar is chafing his arm I would suggest a strat of some kind or something with a contoured top like a strat, or suggest he adjust his strap if he hasn't.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Fender's Blacktop series should probably fit the bill. They come in Jaguar, Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. They are routed for humbuckers and I believe they are just one tone, one volume, and one pickup selector (the jazzmaster might have more but I don't think so). The one drawback is they are at the high end of your price range. They all retail for about $500. But you might get lucky and find one used for under $400 locally.

If you don't mind used, I have heard good things about mid level PRS's and ESP guitars.

Looks like the Jazzmaster has a humbucker bridge and Jazzmaster neck pickup, but does not have any of the other buttons on it. Also I should note that the strat does have a floating bridge if that maters. Also, the Jag has the 24" scale he wasn't so fond of. The tele fits what he is looking for.

I am looking at getting a fixed bridge guitar routed for two humbuckers and I really want to look at the blacktop tele and jag and the PRS Single Cut, but finding any of the three local seems drat near impossible.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I'm gonna make a kinda oddball suggestion, assuming you could find one: Fender Toronado. It's got an offset body like a jag or JM, but with humbuckers (Fender Atomics on older ones, actual Duncans on newer), a fixed bridge (musicmaster on older ones, a TOM + tail stop on newer), and a 24.75" scale. It's kind of an LP with a Fender offset body and headstock.

Just thinking that the combo of scale length and dual bucker pups along with the arm contour on the offset body might maintain familiarity and similarish tone while giving some extra comfort. Plus, they tend to go for around that $500 mark if you can find one.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A Toronado would be great. I don't think we'll find one, though.

The thing with the arm chafing is just how he plays. He used to have a tele that didn't bother him, and it doesn't bother him when he borrows my teles, so I think it's a matter of the way that particular guitar sits against his body that makes it okay.

The Jazzmaster recommended above is a good idea, too, though I think that the trem would be off putting to him. I'll run the idea past him for sure anyway.

There are some good suggestions, here, though. I'll keep hoping for more.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Acid Reflux posted:

I'm not sure. I learned a lot more about it *after* I had a chance to fondle it, of course, so when he brings it to me again we're going give it a really detailed examination. I'm not an expert by any stretch, but since he knows precisely squat about guitars other than the fact that he might just have one of the rarest Gibsons in existence, I'll help him out the best I can. :)

See if that pearl/pearloid on the fretboard and headstock is lifting anywhere. If it looks like linoleum then it may be a fake.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wilshire is Gibson scale, good quality for the price. The Wilshire/Coronet/Olympic ended up being an also run to the Gibson SG, so he should check out an SG as well. Smaller body size might prevent chaffing. Strats have a contour there for this specific reason, which is weird since he likes a Tele and it doesn't. G&L has a Fallout guitar that is pretty cool. Gretsch makes a Corvette model that is around that price (with some in the 6k range whatthechrist)

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 7, 2014

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Anyone have any thoughts on a book for learning blues style? I've been playing for 15 years now but it's been almost 100% on the hard rock/metal end of the spectrum. I've always wanted to get into playing blues. I'm stuck in a rut right now so I think learning a new style is right up my alley.

I'm looking for something geared more towards someone who has experience playing, so books like Blues Guitar for Dummies I think are out. I don't really need to learn how to hold a guitar or how to read tabs. Any suggestions?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Thought about JustinGuitar videos? I know he has a whole blues section for free and the written accompaniment on his website.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Honestly if you have been playing for 15 years and your confident in knowing how to play a guitar just listen to a lot of blues and just try and cop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on a book for learning blues style? I've been playing for 15 years now but it's been almost 100% on the hard rock/metal end of the spectrum. I've always wanted to get into playing blues. I'm stuck in a rut right now so I think learning a new style is right up my alley.

I'm looking for something geared more towards someone who has experience playing, so books like Blues Guitar for Dummies I think are out. I don't really need to learn how to hold a guitar or how to read tabs. Any suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0793542057?pc_redir=1404538157&robot_redir=1

Say hello to your new bible