Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dublish posted:

What, you think they'll make leaders more complicated than a general skill level and a couple of traits?

The joke was that Monarch points meant that national leaders might have similar ADM / DIP / MIL ratings, and what that might mean for assigning a point-value to how good a leader Hitler/Stalin/Tito/King Zog was. I'm sorry, it sounded funnier in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
A lot of wargames use political points of some sort to limit your ability to make sweeping changes. I don't think HOI4 is going to have the 'wait around to accumulate points' problem because every country aside from boring neutrals people shouldn't be playing will have something to be doing.

I kinda hope in MP games people multicrew large majors instead of making sure there are like four axis minor players in the balkans.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

gradenko_2000 posted:

The joke was that Monarch points meant that national leaders might have similar ADM / DIP / MIL ratings, and what that might mean for assigning a point-value to how good a leader Hitler/Stalin/Tito/King Zog was. I'm sorry, it sounded funnier in my head.

Adolf Hitler 6/6/6

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
couple of questions:

-i guess i'm blind, because i know this feature was added to eu4, but i can't seem to find it- how do i set rally points?

-is there a way to mod vic2/eu4 to show unit flags/numbers at max/near max zoom?

thanks

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Adolf Hitler 6/6/6

Hearts of Iron IV > Workshop > NobleSoldier's Workshop

Realism Mod

DESCRIPTION:

Necessary fixes to address some problems with vanilla and provide a more realistic experience.

Adolf Hitler 88/88/88

5/5 stars
1488 ratings

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Drink Cheerwine posted:

couple of questions:

-i guess i'm blind, because i know this feature was added to eu4, but i can't seem to find it- how do i set rally points?

It was?!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I also never heard of it. I know Vicky 2 has it, but not EU4.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

That would be a marvellous addition. I'd love to be able to send my new light ships to join my trade-protecting fleet automatically.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Panzeh posted:

because every country aside from boring neutrals people shouldn't be playing will have something to be doing.

But those are the only fun countries???

I don't think I've ever played as the UK/France/USSR/USA/Japan in Darkest Hour, and like Germany once

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

It was?!

or not? I thought I read about it being patched in.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Farecoal posted:

But those are the only fun countries???

I don't think I've ever played as the UK/France/USSR/USA/Japan in Darkest Hour, and like Germany once

Playing as small countries means you have like, one interesting thing to do per fifty years. Don't play those.

(though I guess the "have a superpower do its invading through your territory so it looks like you've conquered Germany as Lithuania or something" exploit is fun once)

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Looking for a place to get Hearts of Iron 2 Complete for Mac at an affordable price but also with some assurance I can mod the game. Apparently you cannot mod the GamersGate version. I know Deliver2Mac also has it, but no word on if their version is moddable. Any advice?

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
... To not get the really old and outdated HOI2 Complete for Mac and get Darkest Hour running on Wine instead.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
How difficult is it to get DH running with Wine on a very old Mac? I'd prefer to play an outdated version of the game knowing it will run than trying to figure out on Wine works. Unfortunately the tutorial the DH devs put up for running DH on Wine is behind a registration wall, so I would have to buy the game to see the tutorial...

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
It doesn't look terribly difficult, but I don't own a Mac and the images they use to help in the tutorial are expired photobuckets. Regardless the people in the thread seem fairly happy to have apparently gotten it working perfectly aside from no full screen. No clue about how easy it would be to mod in Arma for Mac.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Drink Cheerwine posted:

Yeah for some mind boggling reason rally points remain a Vicky 2 only feature despite how useful they'd be. It's dumb.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Panama Red posted:

How difficult is it to get DH running with Wine on a very old Mac? I'd prefer to play an outdated version of the game knowing it will run than trying to figure out on Wine works. Unfortunately the tutorial the DH devs put up for running DH on Wine is behind a registration wall, so I would have to buy the game to see the tutorial...

Just run it in a windows XP virtual machine, that's how I run it on Windows 8.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What CB do i need in Vic2 to conquer a satellite directly, or do I first need to unsphere? Can I DoW the controller first and add as war goal? It's not a colony afaik, so place in the sun shouldn't work.

These drat ottomans getting to Tunis before me :argh:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

canepazzo posted:

What CB do i need in Vic2 to conquer a satellite directly, or do I first need to unsphere? Can I DoW the controller first and add as war goal? It's not a colony afaik, so place in the sun shouldn't work.

These drat ottomans getting to Tunis before me :argh:

I am almost sure it's absolutely impossible. At least in a USA game I couldn't fabricate war goals against Canada when it was released as a dominion and I couldn't ask Britain for their states either.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Panama Red posted:

Using Wineskin it's pretty easy and works fine. Wineskin is a Mac-friendly wrapper for Wine.

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php

(edit: looking at the DH dev tutorial, it uses Wineskin as well. It's also so old all the pics have expired off Photobucket, so it's not much help. It's pretty easy to do though.)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 8, 2014

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Almost pulled the trigger on the $ 10 Hearts of Iron 3 collection on Amazon. Then I saw it did not contain all the expansions, so heads up I guess.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Here's another HoI4 DD:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?788673-Hearts-of-Iron-IV-Developer-Diary-7-Air-Combat

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Close-up of the map:

Really liking what I'm seeing in this dev diary.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Close-up of the map:

Really liking what I'm seeing in this dev diary.

Looks like cities and provinces are no longer the same thing?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So I guess you can assign different missions to aircraft during battle. Fighters can intercept and bomb, bombers can only attack infrastructure and attackers can only intercept, bomb and CAS.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds a little like a less spergy version of War in the Pacific etc air combat models (minus hexes), so the question that pops into my head:
Will it scale well with #of planes? Like, there aint a certain threshold where the number of passes aren't enough and combat gets wacky?

I saw agility playing a part, but what about altitude? Thinking of turn-fighters vs energy/BnZ fighters or will those just be fast and heavily armed compared to say, the Zeroes?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, so if I'm reading this right, factories will churn out aircraft in whole wings (but planes are now counted/simulated at an individual level?), which are then sent to airfields. From the airfields, you designate a Strategic Region for that airfield's aircraft to fly to and perform their missions.

There are different kinds of missions, but basically you have to put enough fighters over the Region to swing Air Superiority to your side so that the enemy won't be able to fly their own missions, and then you'll start damaging industry and interdicting ground operations (if/when you assign the appropriate bombers) in that region.

Fighting over air superiority will generate Aces, which you can then assign to wings to make them better.

How would carriers work? Floating airfields?

Anyway this sounds a lot easier to deal with than all the earlier HOIs, which is a good thing. I'm already imagining the VVS concentrating massive Air Armies to AGC's Strategic Region to support the next big push there because the Luftwaffe can't be everywhere.

Enjoy posted:

Looks like cities and provinces are no longer the same thing?

Darkrenown said later in the thread that land units still operate on the Province level, bombers and anti-air and IC are on the State level, and then several States make up a Strategic Region.

The cities are still part of a province, they're just represented as dots because they have VPs

Pimpmust posted:

Sounds a little like a less spergy version of War in the Pacific etc air combat models (minus hexes), so the question that pops into my head:
Will it scale well with #of planes? Like, there aint a certain threshold where the number of passes aren't enough and combat gets wacky?

"Combat is divided into phases, or passes, each pass planes pick their targets and engage them."

It probably will - what broke WITP's air model was a bit of code that arbitrarily capped the maximum number of firing passes to 200 or something. They've since patched it so that the cap is multiplied by the number of aircraft involved.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 11, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

I saw agility playing a part, but what about altitude? Thinking of turn-fighters vs energy/BnZ fighters or will those just be fast and heavily armed compared to say, the Zeroes?

As long as both sides have comparable numbers large battles aren't any different than small battles.

We thought about altitude, but it becomes too detailed. Agility is just a simple stat check, but to use altitude would tracking and comparing everyone's altitude and models diving/climbing etc.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, so if I'm reading this right, factories will churn out aircraft in whole wings (but planes are now counted/simulated at an individual level?), which are then sent to airfields. From the airfields, you designate a Strategic Region for that airfield's aircraft to fly to and perform their missions.

Fighting over air superiority will generate Aces, which you can then assign to wings to make them better.

How would carriers work? Floating airfields?

No, factories build individual planes too, although depending on the cost vs the number of factories involved you may well be building multiple planes per tick.

Other mission types can generate Aces too, you could have a CAS Ace or a Bomber Ace.

Carriers do act like airfields, besides being mobile. If you look closely you can see the Graf Zeppelin in the airbase list in the map screenshot there.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm interested - will it be possible for Germany to make Britain surrender through bombing alone?

In a similar vein, can Britain be knocked out of the war by starving them with U-Boats?

These were the greatest threats Britain faced during WW2 and I was a bit disappointed that there was no way to knock the UK out of the war except for Sealion in Darkest Hour.

DD looks pretty cool.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Technically no at the moment. Enough bombing/convoy sinking will reduce their National Unity - but the way the surrender check works you would still need to occupy at least Victory Point to make them surrender. Maybe we should have an auto-surrender when NU falls low enough.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Darkrenown posted:

No, factories build individual planes too, although depending on the cost vs the number of factories involved you may well be building multiple planes per tick.

Other mission types can generate Aces too, you could have a CAS Ace or a Bomber Ace.

Carriers do act like airfields, besides being mobile. If you look closely you can see the Graf Zeppelin in the airbase list in the map screenshot there.

Thanks! That's all very exciting, and I can't wait for a logistics/supply system DD.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I don't think heavy fighters being faster than regular fighters have ever been a thing.

Worth noting if you're intending speed of certain planes to be a game mechanic.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Awesome DD, you're a funny guy darkrenown.

So I actually think that "development visual aid" with the red and blue arrows looks really cool and potentially very useful. It looks like an easy way to quickly get a sense of the overall situation (which can be kinda hard when you just see individual plane sprites like in the second screenshot). I would love something like that in the game.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Technically no at the moment. Enough bombing/convoy sinking will reduce their National Unity - but the way the surrender check works you would still need to occupy at least Victory Point to make them surrender. Maybe we should have an auto-surrender when NU falls low enough.

Maybe you should have a Danger Zone (Highway optional) when your NU falls too low. I mean it would probably be frustrating for a player to fight on desperately when they have low NU only to be informed that their NU has dropped half a percent below the cutoff and it's gg. I'd prefer a system where if your NU falls below, say, 50%, there is a chance that you surrender, which increases the lower the NU is. Maybe with some modifiers so that the Soviets probably fight on even if their NU is 20% while the French probably surrender at 45%. Makes for a neat narrative of "WHY WON'T YOU JUST DIE ALREADY" vs. "Well, that went better than expected, guess we really did only have to kick in the door". It seems a little silly that military planners would know exactly which combination of cities they would have to occupy to force a surrender.

But people are ignoring the most important part of that shot: Ju-87 classed as fighters, GAME RUINED FOREVER. Also showing sprites before counters, SO CASUALIZED YOU MIGHT AS WELL CALL IT CALL OF BATTLEFIELD.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ArchangeI posted:

But people are ignoring the most important part of that shot: Ju-87 classed as fighters, GAME RUINED FOREVER. Also showing sprites before counters, SO CASUALIZED YOU MIGHT AS WELL CALL IT CALL OF BATTLEFIELD.

Hearts of Duty: Battlefield Company

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Oops, thats actually a bug. It should have been put in the support category

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

Maybe instead of surrender it produces a civil war with a dynamic tag, like how the Great War ended with revolutions in Russia and Germany.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Pfft, it can be used to "fight", right? Close enough :effort:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

At least one guy in that thread is saying that HOI4 is "starting to look like Total War", as if WWII: Total War isn't something that would be wicked awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

DStecks posted:

At least one guy in that thread is saying that HOI4 is "starting to look like Total War", as if WWII: Total War isn't something that would be wicked awesome.

Yeah the map is looking good (that's the sense he meant it in, right?)

e: oh there seem to be different kinds of port facilities in the same province, will we get a naval diary to tell us what they do?

• Locked thread