Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

Never played Paper Mario. 250 coins sounds like pretty amazing value.

There have been hints that Nintendo's going to be bringing N64 games to the WiiU VC soon™, so hopefully it won't be long until we can convert it over for ~$2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Zonekeeper posted:

There have been hints that Nintendo's going to be bringing N64 games to the WiiU VC soon™, so hopefully it won't be long until we can convert it over for ~$2.

That's awesome. I ordered paper mario but when I put the code into the eShop it says the item corresponding to the code is not being distributed?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's been no hints, NintendoLife got excited about a Nintendo.com page that referenced N64 in Virtual Console which has existed for over a year and change now.

They had a chance to talk about Virtual Console at E3 and didn't, either.

e: Nintendo is goofy and will just launch something whenever they feel like it, and bring it up in an out of nowhere Nintendo Direct. So there's that too.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 7, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Skip My Posts posted:

That's awesome. I ordered paper mario but when I put the code into the eShop it says the item corresponding to the code is not being distributed?

Paper Mario is a Wii VC title so you have to go to Wii mode and punch it into the Wii Shop Channel.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Skip My Posts posted:

Make sure you're putting it into the Wii Shop Channel, not the Wii U eShop.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Louisgod posted:

No worries. I'm in no way expecting anything groundbreaking but I've heard great things about BLOPS2 with the remote/nunchuck but it sounds like accidentally picking up Ghosts was the wrong move.

Ghosts has a dog.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ChaosArgate posted:

Paper Mario is a Wii VC title so you have to go to Wii mode and punch it into the Wii Shop Channel.

Ah gently caress me. I don't have a Wii controller.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Skip My Posts posted:

Ah gently caress me. I don't have a Wii controller.

I'm in the same boat. I have a Wiimote but no Classic controller. I can't seem to find a decent deal on a Classic Pro either, and there are many articles saying Nintendo discontinued them along with the original. How they expected to keep supporting the Wii Shop channel and not make more controllers is kind of baffling though.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Afro posted:

I'm in the same boat. I have a Wiimote but no Classic controller. I can't seem to find a decent deal on a Classic Pro either, and there are many articles saying Nintendo discontinued them along with the original. How they expected to keep supporting the Wii Shop channel and not make more controllers is kind of baffling though.

Well, even if the "hints" are bullshit, hopefully pressure from angry nerds who can't play the N64 VC titles they keep offering on Club Nintendo will light a fire under their asses.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Afro posted:

They shouldn't list it as Wii-U on the image of the reward deal. Also frustrating that all my club Nintendo coins towards platinum were reset after less than a month because I bought my system and 4 games in the middle of June.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Skip My Posts posted:

Also frustrating that all my club Nintendo coins towards platinum were reset after less than a month because I bought my system and 4 games in the middle of June.

Maybe you should have asked in the thread or read the description of the reward program...or even read the thread at all because that's what a lot of the discussion has been most of last month.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

katkillad2 posted:

Maybe you should have asked in the thread or read the description of the reward program...or even read the thread at all because that's what a lot of the discussion has been most of last month.

I did read the description of the reward program. I apologize for not reading the wii-u thread earlier, dad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Skip My Posts posted:

I did read the description of the reward program.

So then you shouldn't have been surprised by your coins not counting toward Gold/Platinum.

The Club Nintendo Website posted:

Between July 1 and June 30 of the following year, if you earn 300 Coins you'll reach Gold Status. Earn 300 more (600 Coins total) in that same time period for Platinum Status.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

So then you shouldn't have been surprised by your coins not counting toward Gold/Platinum.

It's a frustrating system in my opinion. I'm not that upset about it. Hope I don't miss out on a cool reward though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So wait, why is Paper Mario listed as a WiiU reward if it needs to be redeemed on the Wii eshop? :psyduck:

Good thing I didn't pick it up before work because the only controller I have is a gamepad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kaubocks posted:

So wait, why is Paper Mario listed as a WiiU reward if it needs to be redeemed on the Wii eshop? :psyduck:

Good thing I didn't pick it up before work because the only controller I have is a gamepad.

That's the one questionable part. They list it as a Wii U reward because it can, in fact, be accessed through Wii Mode on your Wii U. When you sit down to play it, your Wii U is what you're using. But it is a little annoying that they imply that its native to the Wii U. Better option would be to list it as "Wii/Wii U*" with the asterisk leading to a "through Wii Mode" disclaimer.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

jivjov posted:

That's the one questionable part. They list it as a Wii U reward because it can, in fact, be accessed through Wii Mode on your Wii U. When you sit down to play it, your Wii U is what you're using. But it is a little annoying that they imply that its native to the Wii U. Better option would be to list it as "Wii/Wii U*" with the asterisk leading to a "through Wii Mode" disclaimer.

This disclaimer sort of is present, but it's only so when you actually open up the screen to redeem the game. You know, the one that describes the game, how to download it, all that.

Paper Mario and DK Jr. have both been up on CN before, so that's rather disappointing. Metal Torrent looks interesting, though.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Luckily I've got some friends with old Wii controllers

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
It would be nice if they could just patch Wii mode to think any connected Wii u pro controllers are Gamecube controllers and treat them as such. Or if they had made VC stuff playable with a wiimote + nunchuck in the first place.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Kelp Plankton posted:

A lot of people are in the same boat, pretty standard right after the year cycle ends. That's why they're out of stock with most of the decent rewards. Give it a month and they'll have something worthwhile, either game-wise or in terms of physical rewards.

I'm not holding my breath, but I would love to see Mega Man 2 on there.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So exactly what type of controller do I need to play paper mario on my Wii-u

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

So exactly what type of controller do I need to play paper mario on my Wii-u

You need a Wiimote and a classic controller attachment.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

It would be nice if they could just patch Wii mode to think any connected Wii u pro controllers are Gamecube controllers and treat them as such. Or if they had made VC stuff playable with a wiimote + nunchuck in the first place.

Honestly, I'd rather see the effort required to do that put into porting the N64 library to the WiiU's VC. No point in going through all that trouble when they could bring the games up to modern VC quality.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't care about porting them, I would just like to be able to click them in the wii u and have them launch in wii mode.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Afro posted:

I mentioned this earlier, but I have one of these controllers that I use for Wii games and Virtual Console games. It works fine, but it can be a little fiddly to get it to work in Wii mode. Otherwise, I have very few complaints about it. It works for the Wii U as well.

And as I was bringing up Amazon to get that link, I noticed this Classic Controller Pro for sale for $9.50. Don't know if it's a knock-off or whatever.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

There's been no hints, NintendoLife got excited about a Nintendo.com page that referenced N64 in Virtual Console which has existed for over a year and change now.

That's not true. A couple weeks ago Nintendo updated their website saying to check back regularly for news on "future addition of titles from the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo 64 systems." That was a hint and a recent one at that.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Goddamit, I wanted to download Paper Mario and the shop is down for maintenance. :argh:

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fremry posted:

That's not true. A couple weeks ago Nintendo updated their website saying to check back regularly for news on "future addition of titles from the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo 64 systems." That was a hint and a recent one at that.

Are you sure they don't mean using Wii mode or whatever like with paper mario?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fremry posted:

That's old old old old old old. That has been there. It was not a new update. Nintendo Life thought it was and then a bunch of sites sourced them, and then Nintendo Life apologized. That was the exact text on that page when it first went up.

e: Google dates that page as being published in April of 2013, 16 months ago, which is around the same time they sent out a PR paraphrasing the same news. And in fact was the month they launched Virtual Console on Wii U in the first place. So that info has been there since the beginning.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 7, 2014

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's really frustrating, I was gonna pick up paper mario, but I can't actually use it with my system. A quick glance at amazon tells me getting a hold of a classic controller + wii controller is just not worth it at this point.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Dramicus posted:

It's really frustrating, I was gonna pick up paper mario, but I can't actually use it with my system. A quick glance at amazon tells me getting a hold of a classic controller + wii controller is just not worth it at this point.

Try SA-Mart, there are a lot of people that have a lot of extra controllers hanging around they no longer need. poo poo I had two extra Wii remotes I just gave to my friend that I got extra with Wii Play and some other game.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

What exactly is Another World, and should I get it? I've been hearing that it's really good but I don't really want to buy something without knowing anything else about it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's a 20 year old game that is very short and fairly difficult. At the time it was amazing because of the graphics. I'd just find a LP on youtube to watch. I think the game takes like 10 minutes. I may be exaggerating, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Music Theory posted:

What exactly is Another World, and should I get it? I've been hearing that it's really good but I don't really want to buy something without knowing anything else about it.

Have you heard of Out of This World? Another World was renamed to that in the US because there was a soap opera by the same title.

It's a kind of action/adventure game that was one of the earliest attempts to do a "cinematic" video game. Each area has it's own kind of unique challenge to get through to play out the scene. It was trailblazing though I don't think the game is that much fun to play.

One thing to point out if you do know it by the other title, the old console versions of the game were very bad ports. Slow and with worse controls.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The Platinum Rewards are pretty underwhelming over the years, I wouldn't stress about not reaching Platinum this year

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Club_Nintendo_items_(America)

2013 was posters and a CD
2012 was posters and playing cards
2011 was the Pin Set
2010 was the Figurine
2009 was Doc Lewis Punch Out or the Mario Hat.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Wii U hacked! It's basically a bit more than Hello World but it's something. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cS66tbIrEg

Joystiq posted:

Though this hack allows for a huge amount of control over Mario Kart 8, and may even have potential as an online cheating method, MrBean35000vr claims fans of Nintendo's latest mascot racer have nothing to fear. "None of this is in any state to be released at present, and it's unlikely that we ever will in the interest of preventing cheaters," reads a notice in the video's description, which is followed by an emoticon with its tongue hanging out - the hallmark of online sincerity.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bean's never released the things he's done so not too worried about him, the fact it can be hacked though does worry me though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nintendo seems to be on the up and up this time around when it comes to security on the 3DS and Wii U so I expect this stuff to be patched out soon.

VV There we go.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 7, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Bean's never released the things he's done so not too worried about him, the fact it can be hacked though does worry me though.

According to someone in the comments for the Destructoid article about this, they said you had to be on an older firmware to do this and that this has already been patched out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Why does this worry you? This is neat stuff!

• Locked thread