Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Direwolf posted:

I don't see how more options on given models is better or even equivalent to getting more models. I'd call having a fast attack option and another troops option more options than being able to put either a plasma gun or a melta gun in your wolf squad.

Even if I agree that it's a sidegrade, it's $25 more. Still a good deal for all the models ensemble, but it's way, way less of a good deal than DV was.

I do think the ork force is a little weird, the more that I look at it. It's an iconic...grot force, really. Kinda weird to have the starter Orks not have a single Boy, when presumably most Ork armies will be crawling with them.
Well, look at it this way. Imagine the Chosen in the DV set were multipart plastics with variable poses, equipment, and so on. You're no longer stuck with 6 dudes with entirely too much expensive equipment, and now you've got cool models you can actually do stuff with. Imagine your DA sergeant doesn't have a plasma pistol, and you can actually give dudes the wargear and poses you want instead of dealing with repeat poses and stock wargear. You also get bits you can use to customize further models and the like. I like the simple snap-fit dudes too, but there's definitely more value to be found in fully customizable minis. I won't disagree that the Ork force is weird though. It'd be like a Marine starter set only having Scouts, a Whirlwind, and a Terminator command squad. It seems odd to skimp on Boyz in favor of Grots, but grots own so it's okay. They probably figured enough folks will buy Ork Boyz anyway.

JerryLee posted:

Where do people see that it's full sprue kits instead of snap-together? Yes, I see that the sculpts are the same, but couldn't they have been recut (whatever the appropriate term is) into snap-together models?
The models are obviously the GW paintjobs on the standard GW models. It would be absolutely preposterous for them to make snap-fit versions of the exact same models in the exact same poses as are seen on the box art. It's just really silly. Go look at any of the kits in the box and you'll see they're identical.

Pierzak posted:

Squats? Please tell me it's Squats.
I'm not quite that crazy, but I've thought of it before. You can find them around still, like anything else. They don't really sing to me though.

serious gaylord posted:

It would make sense to use the full kits as a hastily thrown together slapdash new starter set. No time or money to waste on new sprues.
It will be awful for what its meant to do though. You know, start someone in this awful hobby of ours. That amount of customisation and level of building needed will turn away more than it will entice.
You've gotta get them used to this game somehow. Even then, if you weren't starting Chaos or Dark Angels you were SOL anyway. That being said, this is apparently NOT a new starter box, but a limited run item, with Dark Vengeance going back on the shelves with a new rulebook soonishly.

Esser-Z posted:

I'm not hugely familiar with Mehreen stuff. Is... is that a bike as a turret? Because if so, that's fantastic.

It should detach to operate on its own.
It is in fact a bike. I think it should take off and fly away, like the turrets on the Magellan tanks in Gundam.

Oh god nobody needs to see this nested nightmare of a post on top the new page. Here, have this piece of terrain GW made for Inquisitor that I painted up yesterday:

SRM fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

gilljoy posted:

Any uk goons want to buy the ork half of the box?

One of my group's players may want to, I'll ask him tomorrow. That should give plenty of time for any UK goons to shout up.

I'd also be up for a mini-rulebook from any UK *or* EU goons.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

SRM posted:

It is in fact a bike. I think it should take off and fly away, like the turrets on the Magellan tanks in Gundam.
It absolutely should. I'd play Marines if they had units that worked like that.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Esser-Z posted:

It absolutely should. I'd play Marines if they had units that worked like that.

Forgeworld has the floating dong-bikes.

Also, I'd buy the hell out of the ork half of that kit. That plus AOBR orks would be such an awesome starter army for my son.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I'm sorta interested in the Ork half, since I do want to paint Kans even if they suck, and I do need a non-Mega warboss in addtion to my mega armour one, and never hurts to have more nobz and the option of grots, especially since I'm painting partially for display. Hmm.

Shame they're Space Wolves. I'm not much a fan of their look compared to more generic marines.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

SRM posted:

That being said, this is apparently NOT a new starter box, but a limited run item, with Dark Vengeance going back on the shelves with a new rulebook soonishly.

This would make a lot more sense and obviate a lot of the discussion surrounding it. Where are you seeing this news, though?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Totally called them makinga Space Wolf codex next. There was no way they'd release 3 Xenos codexes in a row.Why couldn't the battleforce have been necrons >:(.

I just picked up 1200 points of Chaos Daemons for 50 bucks off of ebay. Lots of Fleshhounds and Daemonettes that's my latest good score.

Also, if anyone who is in another area sees a good deal on Craigslist for Chaos Daemons please post it , pretty please.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
Are flash gitz useful for an ork army? I really just want to use the bits to make fancy nobz but want to know if I would be making a big mistake?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
The Blackreach set featured a large proportion of Boyz that pretty much every Ork army needed. Kans, Grotz and Nobz - not so much. They may be seeking to avoid the effect of why buy a box of Boyz when you could get 50% more for the same price on Ebay?

It is depressing that I have so many Blackreach Nobz when there will now be a flood of more flexible Nobz models.

not lame! posted:

Are flash gitz useful for an ork army? I really just want to use the bits to make fancy nobz but want to know if I would be making a big mistake?

Maybe, they are competing with Lootas now. They are expensive unreliable anti-infantry shooting in an Ork list. Still poo poo in my book, just less poo poo. Not that that stops me buying the models and running a big squad in a Wagon.

Pirate Orks.

Raphus C fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 7, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JerryLee posted:

This would make a lot more sense and obviate a lot of the discussion surrounding it. Where are you seeing this news, though?

Mikhalla over on Dakka runs a game store. He said the following:

mikhaila posted:

A few bits from GW to me:

-This is a one off item. Meaning they are making xxx amount of stormclaw sets, and that's pretty much it. It's not mean't to be the starter set for 7th edition. Now, I don't know what the actual number is. Could sell out in a week, could be around in a year. It's only getting one print run and when it's gone, it's gone. At some point in the next few weeks we'll see a DV re-release with the 7th edition rule book. I'm assuming the rulebook in SC and DV are the same, but do not have confirmation on that.

He's posted similar things in the past and they tend to be right on the money. For a little while someone bought me DCM membership and he posted more of the like in that private forum. I'd trust him on it.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

^^^^^^^ ah ok.

SRM posted:

That being said, this is apparently NOT a new starter box, but a limited run item, with Dark Vengeance going back on the shelves with a new rulebook soonishly.

Has this been confirmed?

That would make sense, cause otherwise this would be the first starter set ever, the first starter set in over 20 years of starter sets, not to have its own sculpts. It just seems kinda :effort:

E: Krom Dragongaze is such a....memorable character name.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 7, 2014

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

Raphus C posted:

The Blackreach set featured a large proportion of Boyz that pretty much every Ork army needed. Kans, Grotz and Nobz - not so much. They may be seeking to avoid the effect of why buy a box of Boyz when you could get 50% more for the same price on Ebay?

It is depressing that I have so many Blackreach Nobz when there will now be a flood of more flexible Nobz models.

Maybe, they are competing with Lootas now. They are expensive unreliable anti-infantry shooting in an Ork list. Still poo poo in my book, just less poo poo. Not that that stops me buying the models and running a big squad in a Wagon.

Pirate Orks.

This is pretty much what I wanted to go for. Might convert the guns into fancy big shootas or something, not sure yet.

Last question - what is the best close combat weapon for an ork warboss? Power claw or choppa of some description (i.e. is it worth getting a black reach warboss/warboss in the new set, or the finecast one with the attack squig (or go proper old school and get the metal one with the twin linked shoota and the big choppa).

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

gilljoy posted:

Any uk goons want to buy the ork half of the box?

I'm very tempted by this. On the other hand, the mini-rulebook... well, not like there's any rush.

not lame! posted:

This is pretty much what I wanted to go for. Might convert the guns into fancy big shootas or something, not sure yet.

Last question - what is the best close combat weapon for an ork warboss? Power claw or choppa of some description (i.e. is it worth getting a black reach warboss/warboss in the new set, or the finecast one with the attack squig (or go proper old school and get the metal one with the twin linked shoota and the big choppa).

Klaws. Always the klaw, you need to be able to handle 3+ and 2+ saves. Going last, plus Instant Death on pretty much any HQ, is worth it.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Hey thread, I've got a bit of a question in regards to some rules, specifically about Psychic Shriek. I'm wondering, do you have to roll to hit with it? The entry for witchfires implies that you do, but the lack of a profile on the power itself makes me wonder if it's just an effect that happens. I did some googling and didn't really find anything conclusive. Any thoughts on how to play this?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Klaw is usually the best option. Big Choppa might be worth it if you're fighting Guard or another army with 5+ or worse saves to make the most of the Boss's initiative and to keep the cost down, but this is more of a gimmick thing

Re the Stormclaw set, literally the only mini in that which interests me is the new Warboss. I already have plenty of the other Orks and don't need a 3rd Marine army, even if they are Space Hagars. I really hope the boss gets releases separately and isn't another GW retardo limited edition plastic man.

Locomotive breath posted:

Hey thread, I've got a bit of a question in regards to some rules, specifically about Psychic Shriek. I'm wondering, do you have to roll to hit with it? The entry for witchfires implies that you do, but the lack of a profile on the power itself makes me wonder if it's just an effect that happens. I did some googling and didn't really find anything conclusive. Any thoughts on how to play this?

Yup, you need to roll to hit, it just has a weird to wound mechanic. Witchfire powers need to roll to hit, this has no exception to that.

Means that 'eadbutt is objectively the worst Waargh power.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 7, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm almost certain that the box will contain a formation for each of the army sets, so there's no reason to worry about the forces being a complete army or not.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

NTRabbit posted:

Is it even possible to find original squats anymore?

I too am happy, it can replace the 6th edition mini rulebook I never actually got to use. Gonna stick with Dark Angels as a tiny allied force though.

I own three plastic squats unpainted mostly on the sprue and three to four unmodiefed metal models. Not sure what to do with them.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'd use them as Scions.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ugh, killa kanz. This is just rubbing salt into one of the worst nerfs in the book.

Makes sense they'd put a bunch of kans boxes in there, now that no one will ever buy one again.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

serious gaylord posted:

It would make sense to use the full kits as a hastily thrown together slapdash new starter set. No time or money to waste on new sprues.

It will be awful for what its meant to do though. You know, start someone in this awful hobby of ours. That amount of customisation and level of building needed will turn away more than it will entice.

I don't know, when I was a kid and got into WH fantasy the thing I loved the most was putting together all my dudes and choosing poses and weapons.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Always take a Klaw on your boss. He can survive all the first blows to make good use of it. A Klaw Boss on a bike or a mega-boss are drat good. They will be 25 of the best points you ever spend.

I'm not distraught that it is a limited time thing. I have little desire to actually buy new kits. I have too much stuff already and most days I wish I could sell it all without months' worth of hassle.

I have spent about £1,000 on my Orks (being a rough estimate). This covers about 7 years of gaming time. £300ish was spent on new kits. loving Ebay. I still have a gently caress-ton of crap to put together. I think I have about 50 Boyz, 20 Nobz, 15 Dethkoptas, 5 Bikes, 10+ Lootas, 5 Bosses, various vehicles and scraps lying in boxes waiting for me to decide what the hell I am doing with them.

I am going to get it all together and photograph it this weekend. A monument to rescue jobs, job-lots, mis-typed listings and other's regrets. I am a bad ham.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

Haha. I actually got 3 done today (slow work day), so I'm already 1/6 of the way there!

Only.... Ten more days of painting tiny wings to go...
Ten... Full days.... :smithicide:

Oh, hah, I looked back at your first post about them and thought you meant you were going to try and crank them out in two days, not two a day. :tinsley:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm almost certain that the box will contain a formation for each of the army sets, so there's no reason to worry about the forces being a complete army or not.

Bingo:

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Raphus C posted:

Always take a Klaw on your boss. He can survive all the first blows to make good use of it. A Klaw Boss on a bike or a mega-boss are drat good. They will be 25 of the best points you ever spend.

I'm not distraught that it is a limited time thing. I have little desire to actually buy new kits. I have too much stuff already and most days I wish I could sell it all without months' worth of hassle.

I have spent about £1,000 on my Orks (being a rough estimate). This covers about 7 years of gaming time. £300ish was spent on new kits. loving Ebay. I still have a gently caress-ton of crap to put together. I think I have about 50 Boyz, 20 Nobz, 15 Dethkoptas, 5 Bikes, 10+ Lootas, 5 Bosses, various vehicles and scraps lying in boxes waiting for me to decide what the hell I am doing with them.

I am going to get it all together and photograph it this weekend. A monument to rescue jobs, job-lots, mis-typed listings and other's regrets. I am a bad ham.

I've not managed to find a single thing to buy on ebay. Buying from UK shipping to Sweden the saving is so tiny I could just go to my LFGS and spend a little more for something I know is nice and not painted. How did you manage?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Sistergodiva posted:

I've not managed to find a single thing to buy on ebay. Buying from UK shipping to Sweden the saving is so tiny I could just go to my LFGS and spend a little more for something I know is nice and not painted. How did you manage?

I live in the UK.

I would refuse to buy anything below a price range including shipping. £5 for a landspeeder, no more than 50p a boy. I bought in bulk. I got great deals - £12 for two Tau Hammerheads, £20 for 4 Landspeeders, £10 each for two Leman Russ Variants, £20 per a Battlewagon, £20 for a landraider etc. I get common items cheap, strip the paint and convert them. It only works with Orks. If you wait long enough you can pick up cheap crap. I had a few £60-£70 boxes of fun that landed me £100s of quids worth of models.

Only do it if you love converting and modelling. Making random poo poo is why I am in this hobby. Painting it makes the models look nice. I hate the loving game.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I just bought a couple of old Eldar minis (a Rogue Trader-era scout and guardian and an early 90s scout) because they were cheap and I thought it might be fun to paint some retro minis. So can everyone please post their favourite old-school Eldar artwork and colour schemes to give me some inspiration.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Raphus C posted:

I live in the UK.

I would refuse to buy anything below a price range including shipping. £5 for a landspeeder, no more than 50p a boy. I bought in bulk. I got great deals - £12 for two Tau Hammerheads, £20 for 4 Landspeeders, £10 each for two Leman Russ Variants, £20 per a Battlewagon, £20 for a landraider etc. I get common items cheap, strip the paint and convert them. It only works with Orks. If you wait long enough you can pick up cheap crap. I had a few £60-£70 boxes of fun that landed me £100s of quids worth of models.

Only do it if you love converting and modelling. Making random poo poo is why I am in this hobby. Painting it makes the models look nice. I hate the loving game.

Ok that makes more sense, I'm looking for tau and that seems a bit harder. Guess it's just about checking all the time. The boxed new stuff is like the same price as here plus the shipping so even worse. Everyone thkngs they are picaso or something because they want me to pay more to remove their lovely paint.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Sistergodiva posted:

Raphus C posted:

I had a few £60-£70 boxes of fun that landed me £100s of quids worth of models.

Seconding this. Buying single models or squads can quite often come close to the RRP (I guess some people don't realise there are discount online retailers). However if you buy job-lots of stuff for like £60+ you can often end up with 50% off or better. These auctions are typically either people who are bored with an army and just want rid of it to start their next project, or parents offloading the toys little Jonny doesn't play with anymore. The latter can lead to the best bargains, as the parent doesn't have a clue what they're selling or how to list it properly. Just look for photos with a big pile of stuff, and prepare your paint stripper of choice.

My best haul was a bunch of assembled, unpainted Nids photographed in a pile. When it arrived, it turned out to have an extra £50 worth of finecast stuff included that wasn't clear from the picture. Came to about 70% off RRP in all.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Just played a last stand stronghold assault variant against a friend who ran a Green Tide from the new supplement.

Oh my god. Yeah it costs like 1000 pts to have a mek boss and painboy, but 5+ invulnerable 5+ fnp Orks is ridiculous. A punisher landed 34 wounds and killed 6 Orks.

I lost hard but had a great time. Highlight of the game was five Marines sucking it up, charging the undamaged Morkanaut, landing a Melta bomb on it and one shotting it for the glory of the Emperor. Glorious!

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 8, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You guys know the KFF only affects models within 6", right? Not units?

edit: or is there something I don't understand about this formation?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

xtothez posted:

Seconding this.

http://www.tradera.com/item/341005/211319070/warhammer-40k-1-7kg-bits

Stuff like this right? Sure this starts at around 40£ so might not be worth ot bit at least I see an unpainted XV8, might see if I can grab this lot. The biggest problem would be getting rid of bits I don't need.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

You guys know the KFF only affects models within 6", right? Not units?

edit: or is there something I don't understand about this formation?

Wounds are allocated one at a time so it's entirely possible that he was just struggling to chip through the 5++ Orks.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Could he not have targeted another squad, or is it all one giant squad?

edit: My exacto knife won't lock anymore. Why does this happen? Does anyone know if you can fix this when it happens?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Ignite Memories posted:

edit: My exacto knife won't lock anymore. Why does this happen? Does anyone know if you can fix this when it happens?

I think the Ghaz codex lets you run a single 100x Ork squad. Not 100% on this.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

The tab that lets you slide the knife in and out has a very slight spring load in it, allowing the user to depress the toggle, slide the blade out, then "lock" it by releasing.

That is, you have one of these, right?

I have never had mine break, I imagine the repair is either really difficult (finding the new spring and/or toggle somewhere) or very easy. It's possible that the spring steel simply wiggled out of slot, put it back in place and jobs a good'un.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Sulecrist posted:

Those fingernails are kind of distracting.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CyberLord XP posted:

I think the Ghaz codex lets you run a single 100x Ork squad. Not 100% on this.

It has a Green Tide formation. A Warboss and 10 units of boyz minimum, all as one unit. The Warboss can't leave, and they can call the Waaagh! every turn after the 2nd, and they get the 10+ hammer of wrath hits.

If he really wanted he could probably just give one of those units 4+ armor saves and stick that unit in the front of the formation for 4+ saves to screen the rest of the unit I think, so they'll be 4+/4++ with FnP 5+ against shooting since there's a 75 point version of the KFF that gives a 4+ invul instead of 5+.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 8, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Post 9-11 User posted:

The tab that lets you slide the knife in and out has a very slight spring load in it, allowing the user to depress the toggle, slide the blade out, then "lock" it by releasing.

That is, you have one of these, right?

I have never had mine break, I imagine the repair is either really difficult (finding the new spring and/or toggle somewhere) or very easy. It's possible that the spring steel simply wiggled out of slot, put it back in place and jobs a good'un.

Nope, the all-metal cylindrical pen dealie.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

Nope, the all-metal cylindrical pen dealie.

Oh, well I don't have a clue. Care to post a picture? It's possible that you cross-threaded the cap so many times that it's now worn out and won't "lock." It's simply a matter of the metal threads aligning so that when you tighten it to the bottom it creates metal tension.

There are tools for reconditioning worn out screw threads, but this kind of knife is, what, $6? You could also jam some greenstuff on the threads to give it some more grip at least for a few weeks or days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
So, did GW ever release a straight up color for the space wolves armor, or are we still stuck using Space Wolves / Shadow grey mix, or whatever they're called now. (That's how long it's been since I painted my wolves)

• Locked thread