Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sits on Pilster posted:

It has already been said more than once but these prices are hilarious. For the timing belt, take your car to a reputable independent shop and you will save at least $500 on that job alone. Definitely do the thermostat yourself - I can't believe they quoted you a grand for that. Even $500, like the poster below you quoted from an indi, is laughably expensive for that job. Replacing brakes on all four corners should take a mechanically inclined novice 3-4 hours and parts should cost $200 max. Fuel filter is cake, especially if not a diesel. Even engine mounts should be relatively straight forward (and cheap) with the correct tools.

I don't care how much money you have, there is no reason why anyone should ever bend over and submit themselves to that.

I've never done brakes before, but isn't bleeding lines / some fuckery with fluids and pressure involved? Seems like one of those things that's doable in your garage with typical equipment cobbled together vs. something that's hooked up to a purpose-built machine/tool that does the job safely and reliably.

Also I am mostly averse because I have one vehicle only and I can't really have it down for a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

movax posted:

I've never done brakes before, but isn't bleeding lines / some fuckery with fluids and pressure involved? Seems like one of those things that's doable in your garage with typical equipment cobbled together vs. something that's hooked up to a purpose-built machine/tool that does the job safely and reliably.

Also I am mostly averse because I have one vehicle only and I can't really have it down for a few days.

For just replacing pads and discs you shouldn't have to bleed the lines at all.
If it's been a few years since anythings been done to the brakes it wouldn't be a bad idea to flush the fluid but even that could be done at home with out too much trouble.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

For just replacing pads and discs you shouldn't have to bleed the lines at all.
If it's been a few years since anythings been done to the brakes it wouldn't be a bad idea to flush the fluid but even that could be done at home with out too much trouble.

It has been a very long time since brakes were done (mostly highway miles on my car), I actually have no idea when they were done last. No squeaks yet, no issues, shop has never called them out. :iiam:

Is there any way to set miles vs. km on a B7 without DIS? I killed off my door chime and seatbelt chime, but as a result my cluster now has 24hr time (yay) and km (forced metrification :911:). Currently working through all the fault codes VAG-COM picked up on its grand tour.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

movax posted:

As Thumposaurus said, replacing the fluid and servicing the disks/pads don't necessarily have to be done together. With that said, replacing fluid every 2 years or so is generally recommended. From what I understand, brake fluid is hydrophilic and absorbs water over time; as the brake system is basically a hydraulic system, a higher water concentration in the fluid reduces its effectiveness. In theory, with a high enough water concentration, applying the brake pedal would result in no braking at all. Luckily this would be a gradual effect under normal circumstances, and not something that would just suddenly happen on the freeway.

Since the wheels are already off to do the brakes, many choose to just do both jobs at once. Something like this makes the job super easy and doable without a helper. There are other/cheaper versions that would work fine. I actually used a system that linked up to one of the tires I had taken off the car to do the job and pressurized that way. The one I linked uses a hand pump but the concept is the same.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If you're feeling lazy, and I usually am, slap the pad and rotors on and pay a shop $20 to vacuum bleed the brakes.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So it turns out that replacing the fuel filter in a B6 passat isn't as much of a pain in the rear end as I thought it would be!

I followed this guide, took me about 30 minutes. The most annoying parts were getting the guide legs inserted into the low pressure fuel pump, and getting the retaining ring seated properly. Definitely a job someone could do with a minimal amount of experience and basic tools!

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So I help out at an upholstery workshop who specializes in VW vans. Apparently when the facelift update came out for the T5 vans they changed the way the seat covers attach and they now use hog rings attached to this plastic cord and material strip... thing. The question is what the cord/material thing is called so he can actually buy some to make up his own covers instead of only being to make them up when he can re-use them from a previously stripped seat.

Picture for reference.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lip cording.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Motronic posted:

Lip cording.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have anything more specific? I'm searching around but all I'm finding is decorative stuff with like spirals and poo poo made out of more fabric rather than the plastic lip on the example.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Got a question about a screw I'm not sure 1) the part number for 2) if it actually exists.

During the winter I put my 04 Passat into the snowbank at the edge of my driveway a little too hard, and the next morning when I pulled off to go to work the two lower fog light grills stayed in the snow. I haven't put them back on the car because it looks like there's a hole for a screw that's supposed to retain them:

Oretty sure that's not just the mold sprue, since it's hollow and it looks like there's a boss for the screw next to the foglight on the car. However, those screws sure weren't on the car in February.

I'd just slap the things back on since they do have some retaining clips along the edges but I'd rather not have them fall off on the highway or something. Partsbase doesn't show any kind of screw holding the things on, so I don't know what the hell.

Do any of you guys know if there's actually supposed to be a screw there and what length and pitch it is? :iiam:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Luminaflare posted:

Thanks for the reply. Do you have anything more specific? I'm searching around but all I'm finding is decorative stuff with like spirals and poo poo made out of more fabric rather than the plastic lip on the example.

Oh, that's a plastic lip? Then it would fit more into the category of welting.

Does this look like what you need? http://www.outdoorfabricscanada.com/Vinyl-Embossed-Welting-Piping_c_892.html

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

tijag posted:

I sat in a 2015 GTI SE over the weekend.

Couple of observations.

1) It's really nice inside. It really is nicer than what you would expect. Felt as nice to me as my friends A4 2.0T that I've been in quite a bit.
2) The sunroof is amazing. I don't care for sunroofs, and I don't really want it. But it's really drat cool and I wasn't expecting that at all.
3) I'm 6'2" and 250lbs [yes, pretty fat], but it felt comfortable, and this is one of the first 'compact' cars where I had to actually move the seat forward to comfortably reach the clutch.
4) The standard lights are really underwhelming. I think the lighting upgrade significantly improves the look of the car.
5) The transmission feels really nice. I can't comment on clutch feel, although I suspect it's a bit lighter than I'm used to. But the transmission feels really nice moving through the gears. Nice short throws, positive engagement.

I looked for the red line to go through the lights in the front, but I didn't notice it. Admittedly I wasn't spending a lot of time looking at the car from the front, so it's possible I just missed it. Is that the case? Or is it only the upgraded lights that get the nifty red line in the front headlights?

Do you know what it's going to start at?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Motronic posted:

Oh, that's a plastic lip? Then it would fit more into the category of welting.

Does this look like what you need? http://www.outdoorfabricscanada.com/Vinyl-Embossed-Welting-Piping_c_892.html

A bit yeah. The strips are sown in to the back side of the backrest covers and then hog ringed or clipped in to the actual backrest to hold the cover tight to the seat.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

bennyfactor posted:

Got a question about a screw I'm not sure 1) the part number for 2) if it actually exists.

During the winter I put my 04 Passat into the snowbank at the edge of my driveway a little too hard, and the next morning when I pulled off to go to work the two lower fog light grills stayed in the snow. I haven't put them back on the car because it looks like there's a hole for a screw that's supposed to retain them:

Oretty sure that's not just the mold sprue, since it's hollow and it looks like there's a boss for the screw next to the foglight on the car. However, those screws sure weren't on the car in February.

I'd just slap the things back on since they do have some retaining clips along the edges but I'd rather not have them fall off on the highway or something. Partsbase doesn't show any kind of screw holding the things on, so I don't know what the hell.

Do any of you guys know if there's actually supposed to be a screw there and what length and pitch it is? :iiam:

I'm pretty certain that they're just press fit with some plastic tabs to keep them in place. The ones that I had on the 2002 Jetta were of similar design; after losing them a couple of times I glued them in with a couple of big globs of clear silicone sealant. Make sure to clean off the grime before applying the silicone or it won't stick worth a drat.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Do you know what it's going to start at?

The sales guy at my local dealership says that they are selling them all at invoice.

The SE starts at just over $28k. The performance pack is $1495 and the lighting pack is $995.

I'm hoping that the 2016 models have the 8" screens and Android Auto.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tijag posted:

The sales guy at my local dealership says that they are selling them all at invoice.

The SE starts at just over $28k. The performance pack is $1495 and the lighting pack is $995.

I'm hoping that the 2016 models have the 8" screens and Android Auto.

That's definitely the car I would get if I didn't need more space/utility, mainly for my greyhound.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-volkswagen-gti-test-review

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Yeah, the SE is really a lot of car for the money.

The seats are fantastic, the sunroof is really cool. Touch entry/push button start/ backup camera are all requirements for any new car I buy.

Comparing the look of the bi-xenon's to the standard headlights, that is also a must buy. And the performance pack has the LSD which even though I never expect to track it, I really want that.

MSRP for what I want is like $30500, or something like that. I'm hoping that after the craze dies down and they get some inventory, they'll be willing to sell it for around $28500.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

bennyfactor posted:

I believe that's a recess for the fog light's adjuster screw, but I don't have my car in front of me to check.

I picked up a set of those grills + center on ROCKAUTO for, like, $33 shipped. It'd be worth it to have a spare set around since they are so easy to lose.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Or get knocked out by hitting a tire chunk on the interstate I couldn't safely swerve to avoid.

Twice. :argh:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

alternate.eago posted:

I'm really thinking about the APR one as there is a APR dealer close, they should be able to do it in house in a couple of hours (if they can connect to my ECU, I already called and talked to them about it--tech said occasionally they have cars that they are unable to do because it can't connect), and the DSG flash is optional, where as with the REVO, reviews say it is almost mandatory (and additional :10bux:).

Malone makes you send the ECU to them, I already called the closest Malone Dealer to confirm. I can't have my Daily Driver down for the week or so that it would take.

Did you end up getting the APR tune? How is it? I want the malone tune, but like you, can't really justify having the car down for an extended period of time. The closest REVO dealer is 3 hours away. I can walk to an APR dealer from my apartment.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Arishtat posted:

I'm pretty certain that they're just press fit with some plastic tabs to keep them in place. The ones that I had on the 2002 Jetta were of similar design; after losing them a couple of times I glued them in with a couple of big globs of clear silicone sealant. Make sure to clean off the grime before applying the silicone or it won't stick worth a drat.

CountOfNowhere posted:

I believe that's a recess for the fog light's adjuster screw, but I don't have my car in front of me to check.

I picked up a set of those grills + center on ROCKAUTO for, like, $33 shipped. It'd be worth it to have a spare set around since they are so easy to lose.

Thanks guys. Adjuster screw recess makes sense, there's definitely something there that lines up with it on the fogger. And thanks for the rockauto tip: the grills are like 1/4 the price of price of ECS/Pelican there, holy poo poo.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

fknlo posted:

Did you end up getting the APR tune? How is it? I want the malone tune, but like you, can't really justify having the car down for an extended period of time. The closest REVO dealer is 3 hours away. I can walk to an APR dealer from my apartment.

APR guy is saying Stage 1 is around 300whp and gobs more torque. Can't wait for them to announce their tune for this car.

I wonder if you should skip the LSD if you are going to tune it? Can the LSD handle more torque and HP I wonder? I mean, I know the clutch would be more likely to wear out over time if you add a bunch more torque, but I don't know how it will affect the LSD on the PP.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

fknlo posted:

Nope, haven't done it yet. I'm rethinking the APR tune, as I've been reading horror stories on the TDI forums.

Actually I think I may go with the Malone one. There is a dealer close to a friends house (about 2 hours away). I think they may be able to do it same day (though I need to call and confirm), and I would get the DSG tune as well, because from what I can tell it makes a bigger difference without sacrificing drive-ability in traffic, like the APR DSG tune does (supposedly it makes everything harsh). :homebrew:

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
On the Malone site you can sign up to rent the DSG tool and DIY (with a $2k deposit lol). The only catch was that you basically upload your DSG file to them, and they email it back to you to install. I'm wondering what the timeframe is from sending it to them to getting it back.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Should I buy a new Passat TDI SE? Or a motherfucking Prius.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

If you care about the driving experience at all don't get a Prius

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

alternate.eago posted:

Nope, haven't done it yet. I'm rethinking the APR tune, as I've been reading horror stories on the TDI forums.

This and the fact that the "positive" reviews I've read haven't been all that positive have basically made their tune my last option. I unfortunately don't have many others. I get my oil changes done at the only local Malone tuner, but he doesn't do the common rail tunes. Gotta send the ECU off! Guess I could just make a road trip to a REVO dealer at some point?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

agarjogger posted:

Should I buy a new Passat TDI SE? Or a motherfucking Prius.

I had a Passat loaner car, and hated the interior compared to my tdi JSW. It was also a gas version, which I hated even more. But I would def take a passat tdi over a prius any day.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Negromancer posted:

I had a Passat loaner car, and hated the interior compared to my tdi JSW. It was also a gas version, which I hated even more. But I would def take a passat tdi over a prius any day.

The base model Passat is cheap as poo poo. Just like the base model Jetta. Basically the TDI version of any VW is going to have the upgraded interior and extra goodies. Also, why is the Prius even an option?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

The traction control light in my 01 225 TT is coming and staying on recently. Google says it could be a dirty MAF, can anyone corroborate?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

The base model Passat is cheap as poo poo. Just like the base model Jetta. Basically the TDI version of any VW is going to have the upgraded interior and extra goodies. Also, why is the Prius even an option?

I have never bought a new car, so I just picked out a bunch with good fuel mileage and started from there. My Prius test rides were super bland, while my rides in the Jetta and Passat TDI's were very enjoyable. I definitely care about that kind of thing.

Is the Jetta's backseat big enough for comfortable road tripping with two backseat passengers, large adult males? Or should I forget it and get the Passat.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 10, 2014

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

There are very few 4 door cars that will be comfortable for 4 largish adult passengers. That being said, I would probably go for the passat. the back seat on my JSW is fine, but when I have my seat where I want it(I am ~6'1") there is not much space left behind it. My short friends are fine, but anyone normal sized would be uncomfortable. Honestly I never even looked at the passat since I wanted a wagon, so I do not know how it compares besides its bigger.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

agarjogger posted:

I have never bought a new car, so I just picked out a bunch with good fuel mileage and started from there. My Prius test rides were super bland, while my rides in the Jetta and Passat TDI's were very enjoyable. I definitely care about that kind of thing.

Is the Jetta's backseat big enough for comfortable road tripping with two backseat passengers, large adult males? Or should I forget it and get the Passat.

I'm 6'1" and have a Passat. I can't really speak to the current Jetta, I looked at a used one 10 years ago and found the backseat a little cramped then. The Passat though (the US version) is plenty roomy. My 6'3" friend can fit in the backseat with me in the front just fine.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Jetta and Passat both have by far the most rear seat legroom in their segments.

http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimCompare.jsp?acodes=USC40VWC041I0,USC40BMC081A0,USC40VWC033D0,USC40FOC122A0

The Jetta has almost as much as a 7 series BMW and the Passat has more.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Prefect Six posted:

The traction control light in my 01 225 TT is coming and staying on recently. Google says it could be a dirty MAF, can anyone corroborate?

It doesn't make sense to me why the MAF would trigger the traction control light. Regardless get someone with a VAGCOM tool to pull the codes and see what's up.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

No. 6 posted:

It doesn't make sense to me why the MAF would trigger the traction control light. Regardless get someone with a VAGCOM tool to pull the codes and see what's up.

Didn't come on during the commute in, so I'll probably wait until I have more time tomorrow.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Prefect Six posted:

Didn't come on during the commute in, so I'll probably wait until I have more time tomorrow.

It'll store the codes-you shouldn't need to wait for it to come back on again.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Throatwarbler posted:

The Jetta and Passat both have by far the most rear seat legroom in their segments.

http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimCompare.jsp?acodes=USC40VWC041I0,USC40BMC081A0,USC40VWC033D0,USC40FOC122A0

The Jetta has almost as much as a 7 series BMW and the Passat has more.

drat, I had no idea they had that much rear legroom. Had to add a Jetta Sportswagen to the compare, and apparently the wagon looses a couple inches of rear legroom over the sedan(38.1 vs 35.5), and somehow the wagon is a couples inches shorter overall as well(182.2 vs 179.4). Probably because the wagon isn't actually a Jetta but a golf instead. I still have no idea why they decided it should be a Jetta in the US and a Golf everywhere else, including Canada.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

smax posted:

It'll store the codes-you shouldn't need to wait for it to come back on again.

Right, my point was more that nothing is going to blow up this second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Negromancer posted:

drat, I had no idea they had that much rear legroom. Had to add a Jetta Sportswagen to the compare, and apparently the wagon looses a couple inches of rear legroom over the sedan(38.1 vs 35.5), and somehow the wagon is a couples inches shorter overall as well(182.2 vs 179.4). Probably because the wagon isn't actually a Jetta but a golf instead. I still have no idea why they decided it should be a Jetta in the US and a Golf everywhere else, including Canada.

Because in the US the Golf is associated with small cars, while the Jetta isn't.

If you can afford the extra for the Passat TDI over the Jetta TDI I'd go that route if you need the room personally. The passat actually gets better mileage last I looked due to the urea injection vs the regen cycles that the Jetta/Golf tdi uses.