Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Astro7x posted:

The Platinum Rewards are pretty underwhelming over the years, I wouldn't stress about not reaching Platinum this year

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Club_Nintendo_items_(America)

2013 was posters and a CD
2012 was posters and playing cards
2011 was the Pin Set
2010 was the Figurine
2009 was Doc Lewis Punch Out or the Mario Hat.

I like my Majora's Mask soundtrack. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zonekeeper posted:

There have been hints that Nintendo's going to be bringing N64 games to the WiiU VC soon™, so hopefully it won't be long until we can convert it over for ~$2.

I wouldn't be shocked if after the launch of the N64 Wii U VC, they still keep giving out the Wii versions as Nintendo rewards. I still can't believe they gave out Super Mario World for a month, that might never be topped in the console's life.

Also, am I the only one that just picked the gold prize after getting platinum last year? I got Link's Awakening for the 3DS VC. I wonder if it would make more sense to pick the platinum prize and resell it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Why does this worry you? This is neat stuff!

Because I'm genuinely not looking forward to "Mario Kart 8: Everyone is going mach 700 and has infinite blue shells edition" when something like this does actually happen.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I can't remember a time when a console being hackable has led to anything other than bullshit for actual decent consumers.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if after the launch of the N64 Wii U VC, they still keep giving out the Wii versions as Nintendo rewards. I still can't believe they gave out Super Mario World for a month, that might never be topped in the console's life.

Ahhhh crap. My girlfriend wants me to buy that for her. Would have been great if I had a Wii U when they were doing that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sigh, 505 coins to go. I forgot about end of year and used like 100 I didn't need to, two weeks ago.

Can't say I am particularly worried about hitting platinum again, though.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can't remember a time when a console being hackable has led to anything other than bullshit for actual decent consumers.

It made the OG wii a lot better

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Kilometers Davis posted:

All the americans who imported Xenoblade from europe before a US release was ever announced might disagree with you. Or the people in either region who played the fan translation of the JP-only Fatal Frame 4. Or all those people who have been playing Ace Attorney Investigations 2 recently.

Edit: if the 3DS had been hacked by now then an awful lot of europeans would have imported SMT4 and Rune Factory 4, and a lot of americans would've imported that Layton/Ace Attorney game

Edit again: if I could get around the Wii U's region lock I'd be playing Shovel Knight right now!

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 7, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Zas posted:

It made the OG wii a lot better

The first XBox, as well.

And I'd probably use my 3DS more often if I could hack it to play games from other regions. Edit: ^^What he said.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

and all the people who ruined Mario Kart DS and Wii's online.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pixeltendo posted:

I didn't know snaking was a homebrew app.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Pixeltendo posted:

They're dicks. But it's a tech company's responsibility to know that a big segment of their customer base are dicks and plan accordingly.

The 360 had lots of issues with hackers and so MS implemented systems to detect and ban people with hacked consoles whether they were cheating in multiplayer or not. If Nintendo just sat on its hands and did nothing while hackers took over two of their games, that's on Nintendo.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The Wii U needs to be hacked solely so I, noirstronaut, can play Taiko no Tatsujin.

Sarchasm posted:

They're dicks. But it's a tech company's responsibility to know that a big segment of their customer base are dicks and plan accordingly.

The 360 had lots of issues with hackers and so MS implemented systems to detect and ban people with hacked consoles whether they were cheating in multiplayer or not. If Nintendo just sat on its hands and did nothing while hackers took over two of their games, that's on Nintendo.

Isn't this pretty much what Nintendo does though? Nothing? AC had a whole duplicates glitch that was never fixed, snaking ruined MK online for the DS, Pokemon hacking is just prominent to the nth degree now. I don't think Nintendo really cares, if I'm being honest.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The one thing I've seen Nintendo fix with online cheating was a bug in MK7 that allowed you to skip most of an entire track. I hear they're also super hard on cheaters in Pokemon too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Suaimhneas posted:

Edit: if the 3DS had been hacked by now then an awful lot of europeans would have imported SMT4 and Rune Factory 4, and a lot of americans would've imported that Layton/Ace Attorney game

It has been, just so few do it because it requires over $100 in hardware.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

noirstronaut posted:

The Wii U needs to be hacked solely so I, noirstronaut, can play Taiko no Tatsujin.

Isn't this pretty much what Nintendo does though? Nothing? AC had a whole duplicates glitch that was never fixed, snaking ruined MK online for the DS, Pokemon hacking is just prominent to the nth degree now. I don't think Nintendo really cares, if I'm being honest.

Snaking wasn't a hack. It was part of the game. An exploitable bug? Maybe, but definitely not a hack.

Re: duping in Animal Crossing, come the gently caress on. Unless you enjoyed dropping upwards of 10 million bells for a furniture set that was only released in Japan as DLC, for a limited time window, and wasn't orderable from the in-game catalog. Or spending months whacking rocks with a goddamn shovel for gold nuggets so you could get that last piece of gold furniture you were missing. Duping in Animal Crossing is a goddamn blessing!

Hacked Pokemon I will grant you. It's ridiculously easy to breed up good ones now. People who hack are just lazy, or dicks. Possibly both!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Silver Falcon posted:

Snaking wasn't a hack. It was part of the game. An exploitable bug? Maybe, but definitely not a hack.

Re: duping in Animal Crossing, come the gently caress on. Unless you enjoyed dropping upwards of 10 million bells for a furniture set that was only released in Japan as DLC, for a limited time window, and wasn't orderable from the in-game catalog. Or spending months whacking rocks with a goddamn shovel for gold nuggets so you could get that last piece of gold furniture you were missing. Duping in Animal Crossing is a goddamn blessing!

Hacked Pokemon I will grant you. It's ridiculously easy to breed up good ones now. People who hack are just lazy, or dicks. Possibly both!

You of all people should know drat well that I got the Japanese DLC legitimately. :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

noirstronaut posted:

You of all people should know drat well that I got the Japanese DLC legitimately. :colbert:

Hey, more power to you. Not everyone is willing or able to do that and it's kind of bullshit to expect people to, that's all.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Silver Falcon posted:

I mentioned this earlier, but I have one of these controllers that I use for Wii games and Virtual Console games. It works fine, but it can be a little fiddly to get it to work in Wii mode. Otherwise, I have very few complaints about it. It works for the Wii U as well.

And as I was bringing up Amazon to get that link, I noticed this Classic Controller Pro for sale for $9.50. Don't know if it's a knock-off or whatever.

Thanks, I went ahead and bought this cheap knockoff, priced simlilarly to your Amazon link but comes in black and ships from my state, so it should get here pretty quick. I figure as long as it doesn't fall apart while playing Paper Mario it'll have been worth it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I did it. I picked up the Mario Kart Wii U after playing it at my friends. My god it is taking long to set this system up but I know it is worth it once I load up Mario Kart. I gotta figure out the Nintendo Club linking stuff. It's linked but I think I still have to register my Wii U and Mario Kart for the free game and coins.

Most likely getting Wind Waker as my freebie.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you linked your Club Nintendo account to your NNID, then your Wii U is already registered! Remember to do the survey in a bit to get maximum coins out of it. Mario Kart doesn't get registered, but you still get the free game credit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This is weird, I just went into Club Nintendo to see if any of my post play surveys had appeared, and there are some post play surveys for Pac Man and Donkey Kong Jr, which I have never bought.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

greatn posted:

This is weird, I just went into Club Nintendo to see if any of my post play surveys had appeared, and there are some post play surveys for Pac Man and Donkey Kong Jr, which I have never bought.

You've been white hat hacked to received an extra 20 coins. Hackers? Alright in my book.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I just ordered a WII U on amazon, any E Shop games I should get?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Lucinice posted:

Shovel Knight, Pushmo World, and Earthbound

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Shovel Knight, Pushmo World, and Earthbound

Is shovel knight playable with the pro controller? This is important information.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yes.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's increasingly rare to see games that don't support the Pro Controller. Mostly the ones that don't use it are launch window titles that used Gamepad features heavily, with a couple of indie ports here and there that overlooked it. I think the last game I bought that could have used it and didn't was Runner 2, more than a year ago.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Lucinice posted:

NES Remix 1 and 2 are also good choices.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

noirstronaut posted:

You've been white hat hacked to received an extra 20 coins. Hackers? Alright in my book.

I clicked the DK Jr. one and it took me to a post play survey for Castlevania II, which I actually did buy.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

burger time posted:

New Club Nintendo rewards are out. https://club.nintendo.com/rewards.do

Kid Icarus 3D, Metal Torrent, DK Jr nes, Paper Mario

Ugh, Paper Mario on the Wii VC. Another reason to buy a dumb Wiimote. Seriously, Nintendo, why couldn't you have made the Gamepad a valid Wii menu controller? "To keep costs down" isn't even a valid excuse. You put a god damned TV on it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

enojy posted:

Ugh, Paper Mario on the Wii VC. Another reason to buy a dumb Wiimote. Seriously, Nintendo, why couldn't you have made the Gamepad a valid Wii menu controller? "To keep costs down" isn't even a valid excuse. You put a god damned TV on it.

I am confused here, don't the wiimote plusses for sale right now work in Wii mode?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hekk posted:

I am confused here, don't the wiimote plusses for sale right now work in Wii mode?

Yup, any Wii Remote, plus or not, will work with Wii U, Wii, and Wii U-in-Wii-mode.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

enojy posted:

Why don't you already own a Wiimote?

Besides, you need a classic controller for N64 games and those aren't in production anymore. Good thing they still put these games up for people even if they might not sell the controller required to play them at a local store! :downs:

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
You guys sure get worked up about free poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hekk posted:

They do, but you don't get a Wiimote with the WiiU console.

enojy posted:

It's an entirely different connection method (wireless instead of bluetooth). Simply put, the "Wii" can't even perceive it. If I recall right, the only reason they managed to fudge pushing the Wii display to the gamepad screen is because the same hardware's used to stream it over anyway.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Why don't you already own a Wiimote?

I'm speaking for myself here, but there are plenty who skipped the Wii and only recently picked up a Wii U.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just the put code in for Paper Mario, gives me an error and says the item is not currently being distributed. :confused:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Shelf Adventure posted:

You guys sure get worked up about free poo poo.

The issue is that the "free" N64 game in question requires 1: A peripheral that is not included with the system (not everybody owned a wii prior to picking up a Wii U) and 2: A second peripheral that hooks up to the first, which has been discontinued and is getting difficult to find at a reasonable price.

Even if you find a classic controller at its old MSRP (good luck), you're shelling out $60 ($40 for the wii remote and $20 for the classic controller) to play that "free" game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Alteisen posted:

Just the put code in for Paper Mario, gives me an error and says the item is not currently being distributed. :confused:

Make sure you're putting it in on the Wii Mode Shop Channel, not the Wii U eShop.

Zonekeeper posted:

The issue is that the "free" N64 game in question requires 1: A peripheral that is not included with the system (not everybody owned a wii prior to picking up a Wii U) and 2: A second peripheral that hooks up to the first, which has been discontinued and is getting difficult to find at a reasonable price.

Even if you find a classic controller at its old MSRP (good luck), you're shelling out $60 ($40 for the wii remote and $20 for the classic controller) to play that "free" game.

So choose one of the other reward games or hold your coins for the next batch.

• Locked thread