Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

On easy/normal mode I doubt it matters, but I was on hard mode and without seriously upgraded weapons you won't be doing poo poo for damage.

You get some really strong weapons for completing substories and that sort of thing; I was way overpowered without doing crafting.

oblomov posted:

That's irrelevant. They should be showing SEGA and other major Japanese pubs that you could make money from smaller overall sales if you manage them right. It's likely though that SEGA is mostly looking at opportunity cost, i.e. they could translate 2 x Miku games and 2 x Sonic games for the cost of single Yakuza so what's the point to spend their team's time on this. At the same time they won't outsource.

Outsourcing costs money too; often more money.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

why don't SEGA just crowd fund 5/Ishin . someone tell them to do that

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

A big problem is not so much getting a game translated and put out onto discs and/or the PSN, but rather the fact that most localizations require the original development team (in some capacity) to be present to recreate the game with said localization. Sega of America localizes the game then sends it to Team Yakuza who then rebuilds the game with their work, and apparently Nagoshi really wanted to go make Yakuza: Samurai JRPG of a Million Features instead of stick around with Yakuza 5. You know that ISHIN and 5 aren't on the table because Nagoshi and Team Yakuza are already balls deep in on another game.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

At this point, SEGA owns Atlus, and thus Atlus USA. This is the exact kind of weird, niche Japanese stuff that Atlus has built their fanbase on. Hell, Atlus has expressed interest in bringing over some of SEGA's IP's and SEGA said they have full access to them.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

TheManSeries posted:

At this point, SEGA owns Atlus, and thus Atlus USA. This is the exact kind of weird, niche Japanese stuff that Atlus has built their fanbase on. Hell, Atlus has expressed interest in bringing over some of SEGA's IP's and SEGA said they have full access to them.

So what I choose to hear here is that chances for SEGAGAGA have never been better!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It certainly would be hard to be worse.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheManSeries posted:

Granted, Atlus USA have been doing less and less "weird niche" stuff as the last few years have gone on. At this point they're mainly just MegaTen and ACE Team games, with the odd duck like Tex Murphy thrown in.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

kirbysuperstar posted:

Granted, Atlus USA have been doing less and less "weird niche" stuff as the last few years have gone on. At this point they're mainly just MegaTen and ACE Team games, with the odd duck like Tex Murphy thrown in.

But even Tesla Effect was publishing a kickstarter game that has most of the work done for them. Even when Atlus knows the score, SEGA seems too willingly ignorant to listen to them and they're sadly the codger's the one with power in this relationship.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Pipe dreams aside, is there a legitimate/legal reason that they can't crowdsource a translation?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

Pipe dreams aside, is there a legitimate/legal reason that they can't crowdsource a translation?

Who's going to pay to put that script into the game?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Who's going to pay to put that script into the game?

And then cover the costs of distribution, printing physical copies, advertising the game, Q&A support to make sure the translation didn't cause any new bugs, et cetera.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
They don't HAVE to do physical copies at all. Though I imagine that's one of the less extremely expensive parts of putting a game out, so the point still mostly stands.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Sega should hire all the experts in video game marketing ITT to turn things around for them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crappy Jack posted:

And then cover the costs of distribution, printing physical copies, advertising the game, Q&A support to make sure the translation didn't cause any new bugs, et cetera.

Can't they save money by just not bothering to do any Q&A like they did with Soul Hackers?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Sega should hire all the experts in video game marketing ITT to turn things around for them.

I was just asking because it seems like there are plenty of devs/studios looking to the public to get their projects going. But with all the reasons that were given it seems like a hefty project to undertake.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

oblomov posted:

Except SEGA marketed Yakuza toward GTA crowd initially (when they still had marketing budget).

I'm still hoping people can help me find evidence of it. I know I and others at least got this feeling and remember it this way, but I don't even know where to look now for 10+ year-old materials to find out what was presented and said about the game back then.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

I'm still hoping people can help me find evidence of it. I know I and others at least got this feeling and remember it this way, but I don't even know where to look now for 10+ year-old materials to find out what was presented and said about the game back then.
More in general, I am never sure what internet hype comes from the developer and which is generated completely independently of them, not even for games being hyped right now.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jamesman posted:

It was more from the mouth of game store clerks who really didn't know what else to say in my experience. From SEGA though, people might have gotten that idea if all they ever showed was big scenes and street fights I guess?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Jamesman posted:

It's a misconception that is still perpetuated by idiots that anyone at SEGA rarely tries to rectify(Trigger Warning:Kotaku translation of a good speech by Toshihiro Nagoshi), too little too late. People who love video games tend to willingly swallow anything if its like GTA/Amnesia/Dark Souls/*Insert popular game here*. GTA was simply the stupidly successful title everyone wanted again and again around the early 2000s, and the bad connection still survives even to this day it seems.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 11, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I felt like I wanted to start a new game plus in Ishin after wandering around in premium adventure for a while, but it seems I accidentally overwrote my game final save. Am I SOL?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I felt like I wanted to start a new game plus in Ishin after wandering around in premium adventure for a while, but it seems I accidentally overwrote my game final save. Am I SOL?

IIRC there's a warning to that effect.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I went back and looked at as many old reviews as I could find for the first Yakuza game. Only some of them mentioned GTA, and only did so in a context of "This is not a GTA-style game," as if it needed to be clarified. A couple, like Gamepro and UGO, specifically stated that there were misconceptions that this was like GTA.

It seems like it's a lost cause to find explicit cases where people presented Yakuza 1 as a GTA-style game leading up to its release, but it's fairly clear that's what happened, and it did a lot of damage to the game. Still, if anyone can find any such instances to share, I would be very grateful.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

So it's almost certain that it won't do jack poo poo, but this is a thing people are doing that I thought may interest this thread.

It's a letter writing campaign.

I'll probably write a couple.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?514621-08-01-2014-Day-of-the-Dragon

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

mikeycp posted:

So it's almost certain that it won't do jack poo poo, but this is a thing people are doing that I thought may interest this thread.

It's a letter writing campaign.

I'll probably write a couple.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?514621-08-01-2014-Day-of-the-Dragon

Sega wont give a poo poo about your little Operation Rainfall. Sega has a lot more at stake than the OR titles companies. I would buy a console for RNG but SEGA and capcom have forsaken us.

Nisa and xseed pissing away Japan's rep over the years doesnt help either

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Blaming every company but Sega for the Yakuza games not coming over here is getting really old and dumb.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Surlaw posted:

Blaming every company but Sega for the Yakuza games not coming over here is getting really old and dumb.

The blame is aimed at all sides but Nisa and Xseed isnt helping with Nisa publishing shovelware

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The existence of dumb shovelware from other companies is not why Yakuza 5 does not have an English release.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Surlaw posted:

The existence of dumb shovelware from other companies is not why Yakuza 5 does not have an English release.

It is, I will give you a process of how NISA adds to the problem.

-Shovelware companies peddles trash -> It gets slammed in reviews from SJW type reviewers -> People gets disillusioned with Japan and starts viewing them as a pariah nation -> Reviewers wanting more hits slams more Japanese games regardless of company -> Big Companies see the market as a whole as unsuitable for big fish and refuses to market or localize their games. -> Small companies continues business by milking desperate tall fandom thirsty for Japanese games.

This is also why Gundam VS will never come over here again after IGN ripped them a new one.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 17, 2014

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Ah, right, the SJW conspiracy, how could we forget.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That's probably also because Dynasty Warrior Gundam are the only Gundam games (or products, really) that haven't sold like trash over here.

Also NISA and XSEED don't exclusively put out garbage. They have a better track record lately than Sega.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

gyrobot posted:

It is, I will give you a process of how NISA adds to the problem.

-Shovelware companies peddles trash -> It gets slammed in reviews from SJW type reviewers -> People gets disillusioned with Japan and starts viewing them as a pariah nation -> Reviewers wanting more hits slams more Japanese games regardless of company -> Big Companies see the market as a whole as unsuitable for big fish and refuses to market or localize their games. -> Small companies continues business by milking desperate tall fandom thirsty for Japanese games.

This is also why Gundam VS will never come over here again after IGN ripped them a new one.

You're a crazy person, sorry.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I am not normally one to say that things in marketing are simple but this time I think they are: Yakuza games are stupid expensive to localize, and leaving aside the beatemup gameplay, the content is very Japan-specific and doesn't appeal to enough people out here.

Also, one reason it's so popular in Japan in the first place is because of the bazillions of product tie-ups they have, which would all be meaningless here. Basically, I don't know how I would present a good business case for localizing any more games. I don't really understand how they made the case for 4.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The burger place is now Mcdonalds. Don Quixote is now Walmart. Hostess clubs are now hipster coffee joints on speed date day. There, now Americans will buy "Gangsters: Starring Kevin Killyou"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gyrobot posted:

You are delusional and stupid.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They could probably make a hub map set in the US, complete with regional in-game advertising for burgers, cola, energy drinks & poo poo. Yakuza World Tour: Kamurocho, Springfield and... ehh.. a small town in Sicily?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

You are delusional and stupid.

More like angry and bitter at how crap from NISA and XSEED keeps coming over here while good games like Yakuza and SB4 isn't because Capcom and SEGA are more sensitive to the opinions of Journalism than the pedo pandering crap from Compile Heart who can live on the wallets of a tall fandom.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yakuza 5 isn't coming over here because it's a niche as gently caress series outside of Japan that didn't sell as well as SEGA wished and Dead Souls pissed away a lot of potential newcomers to the series too.

It has nothing to do with NISA or XSeed or whatever crazy conspiracy theories you come up with. They have their own little niche market that does well, for better or worse and localize titles that are rather niche in Japan too. Yakuza is a major property in Japan however and SEGA's stupidity with marketing as well as their focus on select IPs such as Total War and Aliens, both which had terrible recent games in the series but sold well is why Yakuza just isn't coming.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I dunno, I just can't believe that Yakuza 4 wasn't profitable if they decided to localize loving Dead Souls of all things. If the series wasn't doing great wouldn't they avoid the weird zombie spin-off with terrible gameplay? I think it more has to do with Sega of America being a shell of what it was just a couple years ago, they downsized not too long after Dead Souls when they were hemorrhaging money. Nowadays the only games they release are either games that'll do big numbers (Sonic, Aliens), or games that are extremely low risk to translate (Hatsune Miku).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I dunno, I just can't believe that Yakuza 4 wasn't profitable if they decided to localize loving Dead Souls of all things. If the series wasn't doing great wouldn't they avoid the weird zombie spin-off with terrible gameplay? I think it more has to do with Sega of America being a shell of what it was just a couple years ago, they downsized not too long after Dead Souls when they were hemorrhaging money. Nowadays the only games they release are either games that'll do big numbers (Sonic, Aliens), or games that are extremely low risk to translate (Hatsune Miku).
I only played the demo of Dead Souls, but it sure didn't look like a game on the same scale as the others, in terms of volume of stuff to translate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I only played the demo of Dead Souls, but it sure didn't look like a game on the same scale as the others, in terms of volume of stuff to translate.

I played most of it. It wasn't as much, but it was stillaround I want to say 75% of a usual Yakuza game in content.

• Locked thread