Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Just got an email about this: you can get an annual subscription for $20 instead of the usual $26 with the promo code wsjax2014. Very useful if you like me you subscribe to support the authors but read scanlations because they come out more quickly. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Just got an email about this: you can get an annual subscription for $20 instead of the usual $26 with the promo code wsjax2014. Very useful if you like me you subscribe to support the authors but read scanlations because they come out more quickly. :v:

Cool, thanks. May as well get another year.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
It's also a good deal if you want to get paid to read manga. As long as you list each of the 4 promo Yu-Gi-Oh cards on eBay the minute you get them in the mail, you will make more than enough to cover the $20 a subscription costs. The most recent 4 went for $9.40, $7.50, $14.01, and $13.50. So even if you paid $26 I made a profit of $18 on reading One Punch Man legally.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Has anyone confirmed that you can gift yourself a membership and redeem it?

Thread Killer
May 14, 2009
They just added two new series to the line-up. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma and Hi-fi Cluster. The Jump Start initiative is a really cool idea overall. I'm not sure how long these series will stick around (I'm looking at you Takama-ga-hara and Stealth Symphony), but it's nice while it lasts.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm hopeful for Hi-Fi Cluster, since it seems to have a solid premise. We won't really know until 8 weeks in when the Japanese Shonen Jump will have it "ranked" which gives an idea of how much life the series has. No idea about Takama-ga-hara's initial ranking, but Stealth Symphony started off really low and was soon on the chopping block unfortunately. Shokugeki no Souma will be around for a while given we have a whole other thread for it, and it's been in the top 5 for a while now.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm a good like eight weeks behind in my reading so if this is answered in this week's issue I apologize, but are they starting Soma and Cluster from Chapter 1 like they did with Seraph of the End, or picking up where it is in Japan like they did with Nisekoi? I'd definitely like to read both, but given my limited time the former is a lot more convenient, if just for lazies like myself.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm a good like eight weeks behind in my reading so if this is answered in this week's issue I apologize, but are they starting Soma and Cluster from Chapter 1 like they did with Seraph of the End, or picking up where it is in Japan like they did with Nisekoi? I'd definitely like to read both, but given my limited time the former is a lot more convenient, if just for lazies like myself.

Hi-fi Cluster was a Jump Start comic, so they did 1 to 3 alongside the Japanese publication, and this week they did 4 & 5 to catch up.

As for Food Wars, the preview page says "the latest chapter", so it looks like we're getting tossed in at the deep end.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Awesome, Food Wars. I take it it's worth starting from the beginning?

Also, I voted for Sporting Salt and lost. :(

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Skychrono posted:

Awesome, Food Wars. I take it it's worth starting from the beginning?

Nope, latest chapters it appears. Gotta sell dem books.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I really wish we just got everything that was published in WSJ in Japan. There are so many series I want to read that just probably aren't going to come out here.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Delusibeta posted:

Nope, latest chapters it appears. Gotta sell dem books.

Sorry, I meant... Is it good enough to read from the beginning or should I just jump in?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
You probably could just jump right in, considering the premise is basically is serve the best food and watch the judges have hilarious reactions. Still, can't hurt to go back and read the whole thing though.

Anyways, regarding Hi-Fi Cluster's prospects, it's just a very strong maybe. It just reached the 8th issue mark in Japan, so its first ranking is completely in the middle at 9 out of 15. Better than Judos anyways which started at 12 out of 15, barely above 2 series about to be canceled (one of which just got canceled this week). It can go either way of whether it'll stick around or not, but it managed to avoid being in the death block of the bottom 5 like a lot of other new series this year.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hi Fi Cluster is dope and I hope it sticks around and I'm glad most of the ~cool powers~ aren't just like "This dude has the quickdraw of Billy the Kid!" Who the hell would think "I know, we'll do Isaac Newton and the kid will have magic eyeballs"?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So, E-Robot is basically your staple fanservice series like To-Love-Ru. It's also really loving dumb and kind of hilarious, but considering the premise is scientist builds an ero-robot to bring about world peace, that's kind of a given. I'll still probably vote for next week's series or the ping-pong manga, but E-robot made me laugh at a couple bits surprisingly.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Allarion posted:

So, E-Robot is basically your staple fanservice series like To-Love-Ru. It's also really loving dumb and kind of hilarious, but considering the premise is scientist builds an ero-robot to bring about world peace, that's kind of a given. I'll still probably vote for next week's series or the ping-pong manga, but E-robot made me laugh at a couple bits surprisingly.

Haha, I had the same opinion. It's funny and cute, but the ping pong manga has been better. Too bad, it's a nice contrast to Bleach.

Thread Killer
May 14, 2009
Yeah, I prefer the ping pong manga to E-Robot. With Nisekoi already in the magazine for the obligatory harem comedy, we don't need another one. I'm hoping the mystery series next week is good. It would fill a genre that isn't in the magazine right now.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I can't remember the last time I reacted so negatively to a series as I did to E-Robot. No laughs, no appreciation of the art, just a lot of dumbfounded looks and head shaking, basically from page 1. Zexal is the only other contender in that category.
I knew something was up when I saw the cover preview last week; I basically thought "Oh, looks like she's a robot with E-cups. Welp."

My tolerance for harem series has apparently evaporated over the years; it's rare I do more than skim through Nisekoi. I tried for the first couple months I had SJA, but I just couldn't stomach it. I like the art, but whenever I try to read it it's Yet Another Girl in love with Keitaro, and maybe she has a key to the ridiculous lock and they promised to go to Tokyo-U together when they were 5 but no one remembers anything about it. Except everyone's a superpowered crime boss or enforcer.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The key is to never have high expectations of harem series since most of them end up being trashy nonsense falling back on cliches from decades ago. E-robot was just absurd enough since it just barreled and weaponized through every cliche that it got a few chuckles outta me, but I doubt it'll last for long.

You should still read Truthism though.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Allarion posted:

The key is to never have high expectations of harem series since most of them end up being trashy nonsense falling back on cliches from decades ago. E-robot was just absurd enough since it just barreled and weaponized through every cliche that it got a few chuckles outta me, but I doubt it'll last for long.

You should still read Truthism though.

That looks like fun-absurd, not creepy-absurd.

I guess I'm just expecting to much when I hope harem series have moved beyond Love Hina and Ranma's well-worn tropes, but I can't remember the last time I was surprised. I suppose that's what defines a harem series, though. A harem series with a more mature concept stops being a harem series.

Even if E-Robot wasn't a harem series, though, I'd still find it repulsive. There have been other sexy-girlbot-and-the-male-schlub-that-loves-her or cliched harem series that I don't come to loathe in two pages. I'd probably enjoy Nisekoi more if it wasn't so by the numbers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Truthism is one of the best currently running manga, period

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Yeah, E-Robot is pretty dumb! I want to like it, though, a good comedy would be nice.

But a Mystery with the Death Note author is better I bet.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's just the death note artist. The author's an unknown newcomer.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

Allarion posted:

It's just the death note artist. The author's an unknown newcomer.

Wasn't this a plot in Bakuman at some point?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tarodia posted:

Wasn't this a plot in Bakuman at some point?

I don't think it did, but Bakuman was essentially just a fictional version of that team's lives as well as of all of Jump, so there might have been a similar arc in that.

Anyways, Gakkyu Hotei is out, it seems pretty fun. Course, it's really hard to resist Ace Attorney High School, so it's probably gonna get my vote if the next two chapters are still fun.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hmm, not sure whether it's worth keeping this thread alive or not, but it's also the only real place to discuss Gakkyu Hotei, Kagamigami, and any other probably doomed Shonen Jump series unless those series ever explode enough in popularity to get their own threads (they probably won't sadly, though World Trigger keeps trucking on somehow). In any case, the Psyren dude has started a new series, Kagamigami, which at the moment is pretty generic since I could have sworn I read some oneshot with the same exact premise and set-up. It has its moments anyways:

Gakkyu Hotei has been all right so far, but it's not what I look forward to the most every week, which for me is still Shokugeki no Souma and now Hero Academia. It got its first ranking of 6th last week, but dropped all the way to 10th this week, so it's not in a safe area at all. Speaking of rankings, everything new from 2014 except Hinomarou Zumou and My Hero Academia got axed, or is about to get axed, so I guess that's why we have a bunch of new series again. Next week, we get a new series from the guy who did Hungry Joker, which had interesting ideas, but it didn't really execute them that well, and was also pretty confusing if I remember correctly. The other two are from unknowns so can't really comment too much on them yet. In any case, what I've learned after deciding to start tracking rankings last year on a whim is if you don't hit it big right off the bat in Shonen Jump, you are getting canned. Obvious observation, but it was interesting to see in real-time a lot last year.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I actually just got on the train for this a few weeks ago, now I'm regretting I didn't do it sooner. That said, I'm only really looking forward to One Piece, One Punch Man, and My Hero Academia every week, but that's more then enough to justify my subscription.

Out of the other stuff, I've apparently become physically incapable of giving the slightest poo poo about World Trigger after watching half of the first episode of the anime. It's not fair, but that's life.

Skimming through what Bleach has turned into once a week has just become a melancholy experience. Oh no, the mustache man can't be stopped something something Ichigo is also a Quincy now because he is officially one-half all the things, lets all stand around talking about nothing for several chapters whooo.

At least Naruto ended before I subscribed so I don't have to feel double bad about things I used to like years and years ago.

Nisekoi is ok, I don't care about it at all but in a magazine format it does a nice job of breaking up all the burning shonen spirit stuff by just being a generic not trashy harem comedy.

Read Kagamigami, the execution is pretty solid but the premise is so hopelessly generic that I can't work up much enthusiasm for it.

There's some Yugioh thing I skip over every week because obviously.

Whatever Grade School Hotei is a very clever premise that I would probably be into if I was like still 12. I've been half-reading/half skipping it and there's just no chance it's going to grab me.

Explosive Food Tasting is surprisingly ok. I haven't read the back chapters and I don't plan to but it's a decent enough read.

Rosario plus Vampire is a weird nostalgia trip. I've only watched the anime but I've heard the manga gets crazy later. The early chapters are still incredibly boring and formulaic though.

I jumped in just in time to see Hi-fi like arrest a guy they'd already finished fighting and then end forever. I will never even know what the main characters power was or what this show was actually about.

Oh yeah there was some Vampire thing that sounded like it wanted to be Attack on Titan really badly? Expecting that to get axed shortly.

Anyway I'm pretty happy with this overall, it's cool getting a big digital magazine on my phone every monday. I just wish they Gintama or more stuff from Japan generally.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Allarion posted:

In any case, the Psyren dude has started a new series, Kagamigami, which at the moment is pretty generic since I could have sworn I read some oneshot with the same exact premise and set-up.

You (probably) did! The one-shot that Kamigami is based on (same author) ran in the English WSJ not too long ago! I forget what it was called. Pretty cool to see the One shot->Full series model play out in real time in out WSJ, actually.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ahh, that explains it then. My mind told me I had read it already, but the internet turned up nothing, so I was confused. Didn't consider that viz were the ones who translated the one-shot.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
I didn't really like the catch-up they did with Hero Academia. Even though it's covering only 27 chapters, I still feel almost completely lost, especially since the current chapter is part of a typical shounen tournament arc. Unless I go back and read the earlier chapters, I'll have no sense of context.

Gakkyu Hotei is already starting to feel boring. Abaku is the only interesting character, but the only interesting parts about him are his shady past and his cleverness (and cleverness gets old really quickly).

Nisekoi actually started to have plot again, which is nice for a change.

Kagamigami seems kinda interesting. I guest I'll wait and see how the rest of the jump start goes.

Is Seraph any good now? I thought it was cancelled a while ago because of the hiatuses, so I forgot about it around 15 chapters ago...

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Seraph of the End actually runs in Jump Square which is a monthly magazine, hence why we get sporadic updates for it. It doesn't cover anything that you haven't read or seen somewhere else before though so it's pretty forgettable. It's doing well enough to be getting an anime anyways, which will most likely have an anime-original ending since the plot hasn't progressed that much in Seraph other than everyone getting their soul weapons. Wit Studio is doing it though, which is interesting considering their track record is fairly solid. My guess is it'll be like Blue Exorcist where everybody kind of raves about it initially, and then it'll sort of fizzle out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Food Wars is actually the second best weekly series in the english mag behind One Piece, this is a fact.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Food Wars is actually really good so far. I'm hoping that they hurry up with the back catalog.

Seraph is okay, but one of the many series hurt by monthly serialization, like Blue Exorcist.

Hotel is okay. It feels formulaic in the same was that Bakuman (with the same art!) would've noted years ago. Let's hope they go somewhere interesting with it soon.

Kamigami could be good. Reminds me a bit of Kekkashi, actually, but with a more interesting female. Hopefully it goes somewhere fun.

Nisekoi is a guilty pleasure and the anime is a lot of fun. It's the only not-burning-spirit manga left, since everything else (like the Lacrosse manga) has been cancelled unfortunately. I hope it lasts forever.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Toriko right now is them trying to harvest some sweat off a monkey's balls and they are getting obliterated. I pretty much only follow that, One Piece, OPM, and HxH whenever it comes back. Really wish they would bring more sports stuff over as I would love to be able to pay for Kuroko and Haikyuu.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Literally The Worst posted:

Food Wars is actually the second best weekly series in the english mag behind One Piece, this is a fact.

This is pretty true in the Japanese mag too.

Senor Candle posted:

Toriko right now is them trying to harvest some sweat off a monkey's balls and they are getting obliterated. I pretty much only follow that, One Piece, OPM, and HxH whenever it comes back. Really wish they would bring more sports stuff over as I would love to be able to pay for Kuroko and Haikyuu.

Kuroko ended so it's just Haikyuu and Hinomarou Zumou now sports-wise. Ping Pong manga from the Jump Start a while back looks like it's about to get axed. On the upside, Haikyuu is now consistently high, pretty much filling in that hole that Kuroko left behind.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Allarion posted:

This is pretty true in the Japanese mag too.

Kuroko ended so it's just Haikyuu and Hinomarou Zumou now sports-wise. Ping Pong manga from the Jump Start a while back looks like it's about to get axed. On the upside, Haikyuu is now consistently high, pretty much filling in that hole that Kuroko left behind.

Ping-Pong is getting cancelled? That's too bad, I voted for that one here (it was pretty good in the beginning!).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Allarion posted:

That's good to hear. Haikyuu is my absolute favorite thing to read week to week. Every single chapter is so satisfying. I wish they would bring it over soooo bad.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm gonna be the pirate king hokage wizard King!

Black Clover isn't exactly the most original of premises, but I thought it was pretty well-told. Basically what would happen if the main character were Rock Lee in a magic universe, and Sasuke isn't a complete rear end in a top hat and has some actual grounding as his best friend. Gave me some Mx0 vibes near the end there as well.

Pretty meh on this week's chapter of Kagamigami other than a couple chuckles at Mako's toxic room of hopes and dreams. Gakkyu Hotei doing a civil court case against a literal ninja attorney could be interesting but we'll have to see how that plays out.

coathat
May 21, 2007

This round of jump starts is way better than the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

coathat posted:

This round of jump starts is way better than the others.

Kagamigami and Black Clover are ok I guess though neither have really wowed me. If Kagamigami doubles down on the spirit detective angle I'd probably enjoy it more.

• Locked thread