Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm gonna be lost when a new version releases until a LNP get's released for it. All those addons just confuse me.

LNP usually only takes a few days I think. Vanilla isn't that horrible. I mean it sucks for any long forts but for checking stuff out with <20 dwarfs it works pretty well. gently caress anything larger forever without Therapist. I ignored LNP when I learned the game and DT changed my life completely. I was keeping spreadsheets to attempt to keep track of my 50 guys by hand.

I still feel learning DF without any addons gives you a much better idea of how the game works and it's not a bad idea.

You won't find out if lay egg is true if you wait on LNP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I know I'll be bug testing the poo poo out of the game once I finish downloading the new releassasjahsja when it's out

bone napoleon
May 9, 2012

there is nothing
i'm stoked and toked, only mod i will install mayday because then it'll look good but still be buggy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

scamtank posted:

Welp, already my fine instructions are obsolete. nextgen_4.17 gets multilevel rendering now, too.

Is that the only thing that's obsolete? Just need the one plugin now?

I just had an early cavern find reward me with a cave troll parade through my dining room, so I'm about to start a new one.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
It's 8:25am and I've been up all night playing dwarf fortress.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

pisshead posted:

let the music soothe you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6FXeupOp04

Satone
Feb 10, 2007
Good to the last drop

pisshead posted:

Preaching to the choir, bud. Been there countless times.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
There he goes, ruining all the best features. Oh, it's a devlog. You know how to make a devlog, don't you? You just put your lips together and... blow.

Devlog Stone posted:

Change one line and the world erupts in no-quarter knife fights apparently... hopefully we've emerged from that.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I wish we knew which line that was, it would be an interesting mechanic to trigger with dfhack or something.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So it's been a while since I've played DF. But me and some friends are pretty excited for this new update. I missed the last release (the 2012 one?), and I heard they added a few interesting things.

Are there any new things I should know about that I might not have played with yet (I'm not asking about this coming release, just previous ones)? I heard there are minecarts and wheelbarrows now, no idea how they work. How about the military? I only briefly played with the new military schedule stuff.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think the best new bug will be that if a tree grows over a mine cart track, any mine cart that runs into it, instead of stopping when it hits the tree, will climb the branches and zip around in the tree at light speed as if it were a strange web of tracks.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
Gentlemen, behold. The future has arrived:

Playable stonesense:

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/dwarf-fortress-3d/

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Raerlynn posted:

Gentlemen, behold. The future has arrived:

Playable stonesense:

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/dwarf-fortress-3d/

Its been around for about a week or so now. I think everyone knows about it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It also kicks your framerate in the balls, so there's that too to consider.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Been a long time since I've tried it, but with the next update upon us I think I'll take another stab at Adventure Mode.

I've never done much with it, aside from the time I saw a housecat become a named creature for killing those olms, so:

Human Demigod
Male pikeman, named Ciko
Max stats to facilitate immediate powerleveling

First step is to immediately flee my hometown and seek out a river, then practice drowning myself in the sneakiest way possible.

Edit: As soon as he's a legendary swimmer, Ciko is killed by a Sturgeon. Goddamnit.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 7, 2014

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dwarf Fortress 2014 - The World erupts in no-quarter knife fights

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I tell you what though, I'm getting sick of my dwarves hauling poo poo around instead of doing their skilled jobs.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

pisshead posted:

I tell you what though, I'm getting sick of my dwarves hauling poo poo around instead of doing their skilled jobs.

So... disable hauling on your skilled dwarves?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

None of the current hauling job designations apply to the "bin this poo poo" tasks, I believe.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

New version is out, definitely check it out: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Bad Munki posted:

:siren: :frogsiren: :siren:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

You forgot the :siren:s

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^ Curses!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

gently caress me, I haven't played DF in forever. I'm so excited for this.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's 4AM and I have a floorball game tomorrow :(

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Christmas in July! :neckbeard:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So for OS X users (or at least 10.9) it's bitching about x11, so maybe it's going to require some 3rd party stuff. :/

(Apple doesn't provide it anymore, but you can get it here.)

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Holy shitballs it actually came out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Minsky posted:

Holy shitballs it actually came out.

Made you look!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Holy poo poo loading in to your first world with multi-tile trees is :aaaaa:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, installing xQuartz did, in fact, get it to run, so if you're on a mac, start there.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Not sure if its because I am use to masterwork or this has just been streamlined but world generation seems much faster so far.

kremlins
May 9, 2009

NEW DF IS OUT

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

GO GO GO GO GO

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Looks like people can now have shittons of children:
"16 Children (out-lived 7 of them) -- Ages at death: (d. 26) 66 64 (d. 16) 52 51 50 47 40 (d. 36) 36 35 (d. 49) (d. 49) (d. 49) (d. 69)"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No it's not, don't listen to me.

kremlins
May 9, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

No it's not, don't listen to me.

DOWNLOAD DWARF FORTRESS 0.40.01 (July 7, 2014)

you're seeing a cached page i'll bet

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I was about to try it out but then I realized it doesn't have tilesets or dwarf therapist or anything yet. I'll let you people try it out for me. someone post tree screenshots.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
It's been so long since I've reinstalled I can't even remember all my preferences and junk that I've changed or how to get rid of aquifers so I guess I'll just jump right in!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
28: Emloxsnosm, "Jackalgrooved", dark fortress
Owner: The Lamented Horror, goblins
Parent Civ: The Barbarity of Torches, goblins
lord: Amxu Poisonpleated the Ugly Venoms of Frenzy, goblin
134 elves
59 humans
25 dwarves
8624 goblins
1 fuchsia demon
4300 trolls
73 elf prisoners
23 dwarf prisoners
7 human prisoners

:stare:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Gilok posted:

I was about to try it out but then I realized it doesn't have tilesets or dwarf therapist or anything yet. I'll let you people try it out for me. someone post tree screenshots.

oh jesus I hadn't even thought of that. I don't know if I can handle ~the ASCII experience~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
ONE tree can give you like 50 logs. What the gently caress.
The new dialogue tree is the most labyrinthine and complex menu yet.
SMELLS HAVE BEEN ADDED. Now you can enter your retired fort and take in the wonderful aromas!

amuayse fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 8, 2014