Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There are only 24 planeswalker types that have been printed so far, with many colors/combinations repeated and almost no 3+ color combinations represented. (Maybe 23 if you don't count Xenagos due to being permadead.) There are only enough so far if you reach back into pre-mending Dominaria planeswalkers.

I love the idea, but between planeswalkers only being mythic so far and "your theme needs to be at common" it doesn't seem very likely.

Don't forget permadead Venser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Is Sarkhan Vol permadead? If only for the name, I'd like Tarkir to be his plane.

Also the spoiler art looks like him maybe... In that it is a vaguely asian man with a staff.

EDIT: vv Last I heard, he was driven crazy by Bolas on Zendikar where he lost a fight to Jace/Chandra. If not perma dead, maybe perma-out of the game?

EDIT2: vv Thank you!

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 8, 2014

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Gensuki posted:

Is Sarkhan Vol permadead? If only for the name, I'd like Tarkir to be his plane.

Where did you get the idea that Sarkhan was permadead? Or even regular dead?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Gensuki posted:

Also the spoiler art looks like him maybe... In that it is a vaguely asian man with a staff.

EDIT: vv Last I heard, he was driven crazy by Bolas on Zendikar where he lost a fight to Jace/Chandra. If not perma dead, maybe perma-out of the game?

Of the two pieces of art we have for Khans of Tarkir one is Sarkhan Vol because he's showing up, so you're in luck!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Gensuki posted:

Virtually the only two things we know about Tarkir so far is that it's Sarkhan's home plane, and dragons are supposedly extinct there.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Uhhhh. He's totally alive and fine, although he's hearing voices. You can read about Sarkhan here. http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/304

And here's the bit on sarkhan vol

Sarkhan Vol posted:

Hearing voices, seeking the glory of dragons. The mage Sarkhan left his home plane of Tarkir after his spark ignited, searching for a dragon worthy of his reverence. After declaring fealty to the sinister Nicol Bolas and brooding in the Eye of Ugin chamber on Zendikar, Sarkhan's mind came unraveled. In his madness, he believes he hears the voice of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, somehow whispering into his mind. Bolas has dismissed this possibility as part of Sarkhan's madness, but Sarkhan obsesses over the voice in his mind, hoping it may one day lead him toward a new destiny, one where he could be free from Bolas and could exult once again in the glory of savage dragons.

Obscil fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 8, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Carrasco posted:

Virtually the only two things we know about Tarkir so far is that it's Sarkhan's home plane, and dragons are supposedly extinct there.

And that the gray skinned race looks totally badass. :black101:

Unrelated note, I was completely unaware that Modern UR Burn ran Kiki Jiki and Splinter Twin with Deceiver Exarch and Pestermite.

So Modern Merfolk loses after getting the jerk to 1, twice, astoundingly. :sigh:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Unrelated note, I was completely unaware that Modern UR Burn ran Kiki Jiki and Splinter Twin with Deceiver Exarch and Pestermite.

Uh, what? That's just Splinter Twin dude.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Carrasco posted:

They're basically going to immediately errata that bit of lore like "uh oh -- the Dragons are reawakening! Now there are dragons and its a super big deal!"

I mean, they just reprinted Crucible of Fire. That can't just be for Stormbreath Dragon, right?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Well, yeah. Wasn't that what they ultimately did with Alara (Shards) and Zendikar (eldrazi), and Innistrad(helvault), and Ravnica(guildpact), and Theros(Gods)? "Here is the thing that defines the plane over the last eternity. OH CRAP THE RULES ARE CHANGING! Probably Nicol Bolas..."

Count Bleck posted:

And that the gray skinned race looks totally badass. :black101:

Are there more pictures of them out? The one on mythicspoiler kind of just looks like a badger to me...

If a creature with first strike kills a creature in the first strike combat phase, and Altac Bloodseeker's ability triggers in response, would it fail to do damage during combat at all for that turn?

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 8, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Stinky Pit posted:

Uh, what? That's just Splinter Twin dude.

It was really feel bad okay. :sigh:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Kasonic posted:

It's really too bad Lightning Rift will remain the only good red trigger-enchantment ever because every one after has been safely unplayable.

That U/R Scry control deck must've been a killer in the FFL.

Purphoros sees a decent amount of play, and it's mainly because of his triggered ability.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Gensuki posted:

Well, yeah. Wasn't that what they ultimately did with Alara (Shards) and Zendikar (eldrazi), and Innistrad(helvault), and Ravnica(guildpact), and Theros(Gods)? "Here is the thing that defines the plane over the last eternity. OH CRAP THE RULES ARE CHANGING! Probably Nicol Bolas..."

Well yeah, Here There Be Dragons is a much more fun premise than Here There Not Be Dragons. Besides, a big fundamental change to the plane is the easiest way to make it feel like something's happening over the course of the block's three sets. Without that, you run the risk of getting into boring nothing-happens territory, like Return to Ravnica did with its story structure of "Here are some guilds", "Here are some other guilds", "Yup these sure are guilds".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

They're basically going to immediately errata that bit of lore like "uh oh -- the Dragons are reawakening! Now there are dragons and its a super big deal!"

I mean, they just reprinted Crucible of Fire. That can't just be for Stormbreath Dragon, right?

Well, one of the sets is called "Dragons of Tarkir".

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Are there any good articles on speculated new decks using the m15 cards? Curious to know what people think will show up in a week.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I ordered a hunted horror from TopDeckHobbies on Amazon. It was only 1.93, but they shipped it in one of those really flimsy toploader sleeve in a plain white envelope, not even a penny sleeve. The envelope arrived soaking wet, and the card was pretty warped and in at least played condition. While the card didn't look soaked, just barely damp, with a drop of water inside the top loader, but not card adjacent, I'd ordered it listed under new, which implies near mint to good condition.

Am I being unreasonable to ask for a partial refund? With the price of a stamp being 49 cents, and the price of these toploaders being around a quarter, you would think he could slap the card into a penny sleeve and tape it shut.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Without that, you run the risk of getting into boring nothing-happens territory, like Return to Ravnica did with its story structure of "Here are some guilds", "Here are some other guilds", "Yup these sure are guilds".

Return to Ravnica was pretty much Wacky Races featuring Fblthp.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Get that refund: mainly because the received item is in worse condition than the listed item, outside of whatever could have happened to it in-transit. Warped and soaking wet is unacceptable. With the name TopDeckHobbies, they should definitely know the right shipping precautions.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Are there any good articles on speculated new decks using the m15 cards? Curious to know what people think will show up in a week.

Chapin's article today on SCG runs through a ton of quickly cobbled together brews of varying levels of competitiveness. Includes Grixis Riddle of Lightning UB Waste Not, UR Cirle of Flame, Slivers, and some other more run-of-the-mill archetypes. It's a fine read as a sort of smash cut of fringe/interesting possibilities over the next 2 months.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Niton posted:

If there's one lesson to be learned from OTJ limited, let it be this: do not let that thing hit you.

Played an OTJ flashback draft a couple of months ago at the local store. My buddy was maindecking that loving thing and some guy playing mono black just let it connect. He had perfectly good blockers available and just let it hit him. I then watched my friend convert every single land in play into a plains, it was the best thing I've ever seen.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Well yeah, Here There Be Dragons is a much more fun premise than Here There Not Be Dragons. Besides, a big fundamental change to the plane is the easiest way to make it feel like something's happening over the course of the block's three sets. Without that, you run the risk of getting into boring nothing-happens territory, like Return to Ravnica did with its story structure of "Here are some guilds", "Here are some other guilds", "Yup these sure are guilds".

Why would you design a set based on a plane where nothing happened?? It would be like if we had innistrad block and it culminated in:
Lilliana: "open the helvault!"
Thalia: "uh, no."
Lilliana: "ok"

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Mezzanon posted:

Why would you design a set based on a plane where nothing happened?? It would be like if we had innistrad block and it culminated in:

Well, it's a lot easier than designing one where things happen, particularly when you're actually just building off a world you already made that was hugely popular.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mezzanon posted:

A plane where nothing changed due to things like null rods and lodestone golems would be interesting and own

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Does Ensoul Artifact not seem a little ridiculous to anyone else? It's a 5/5 for 2 mana that you can probably use on t2 by putting it on something like an ornithopter or springleaf drum. Also just realized shrapnel blast was being reprinted and how well it works with scuttling doom engine. U/R engineer burn deck sounds super fun right now.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Does Ensoul Artifact not seem a little ridiculous to anyone else? It's a 5/5 for 2 mana that you can probably use on t2 by putting it on something like an ornithopter or springleaf drum. Also just realized shrapnel blast was being reprinted and how well it works with scuttling doom engine. U/R engineer burn deck sounds super fun right now.

Yeah, don't pass up the artifacts, blue has some potential for being ridiculously aggressive in M15. Shrapnel Blast is just icing on the cake.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

It's a ridiculously easy 2 for 1 with Abrupt Decay around unless it's on something like Darksteel Citadel.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I can't see the Ensoul Artifact deck making it very far with Back to Nature being a thing.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh, we're not talking draft. Well then, on that note, Shrapnel Blast and the Hammer do go well together, I'm rather curious if some sort of red artifact deck can come out of the works. Possibly a workable Izzet deck? The main problem is that Theros doesn't have a lot of artifacts that stand out as being anything more than okayish.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's a ridiculously easy 2 for 1 with Abrupt Decay around unless it's on something like Darksteel Citadel.

Sure, but darksteel citadel is being printed with m15 and abrupt decay is rotating out shortly afterwards anyways. Return to Nature is also a fair point because I expect to see a lot of those in sideboards coming up, but in most cases you'd still be left with what is probably still a useful artifact. Theros block had junky artifacts but there's some really good ones and artifact support in m15, hopefully we'll see some good equipment in khans too.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ramos posted:

Oh, we're not talking draft. Well then, on that note, Shrapnel Blast and the Hammer do go well together, I'm rather curious if some sort of red artifact deck can come out of the works. Possibly a workable Izzet deck? The main problem is that Theros doesn't have a lot of artifacts that stand out as being anything more than okayish.

Hammer of Purphoros is probably the Theros block artifact I'd most want to try in such a deck.

It can even generate more artifacts!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If there isn't a reprint of Dragonspeaker Shaman in the final Tarkir set I will be mildly annoyed! :mad:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Hammer of Purphoros is probably the Theros block artifact I'd most want to try in such a deck.

It can even generate more artifacts!

Exactly, that and we have a nice mix of Phyrexian Revoker and Pithing Needle as early drops, which can not only help speed out big threats like the Scuttling Doom Engine and Soul of New Phyrexia, they also hit a number of big name targets in Standard.

Heck, with how fast you can drop Ornithopters, Military Intellgience may have a place as a two drop after you swing with your Cloudfin Raptor and Ornithopter. There's definitely potential in there.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Ensoul Artifact is a very cool card but don't be fooled by its low cost. The reason its costed so aggressively is because Enchantment and Artifact removal is printed constantly and since both card types play such a relative niche roles in decks, the answers tend to be very efficient. (look to Back to Nature for an example of how comfortable they are pushing the efficiency of these kinds of answers)

Two cards for a 5/5 is hardly impressive. There aren't a lot of maindeck worthy artifacts either, and you're going to need a significant number of them which is going to make for a pretty bad deck. Sure the turn 2 5/5 Indestructible Darksteel Citadel is appealing, but the deck that makes it possible is going to look really bad.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

Ensoul Artifact is a very cool card but don't be fooled by its low cost. The reason its costed so aggressively is because Enchantment and Artifact removal is printed constantly and since both card types play such a relative niche roles in decks, the answers tend to be very efficient. (look to Back to Nature for an example of how comfortable they are pushing the efficiency of these kinds of answers)

Two cards for a 5/5 is hardly impressive. There aren't a lot of maindeck worthy artifacts either, and you're going to need a significant number of them which is going to make for a pretty bad deck. Sure the turn 2 5/5 Indestructible Darksteel Citadel is appealing, but the deck that makes it possible is going to look really bad.

:ssh: T1 5/5 fliers in modern, don't tell anyone! Also remember theros standard sideboards run zero artifact hate, and the enchantment hate is probably localized to deicide and deicide alone. Maybe a few back to natures but I can't see anyone running more than 2-3 tops. I think it's going to see at least a little play in standard.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

bhsman posted:

If there isn't a reprint of Dragonspeaker Shaman in the final Tarkir set I will be mildly annoyed! :mad:

I'm kinda hoping for the Dragon <thing> cycle of Auras from Scourge, those seem like a good fit.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Eddie Whitson posted:

Return to Ravnica was pretty much Wacky Races featuring Fblthp.

I know that's what Dragon's Maze was meant to be, but the cards didn't feel like Wacky Races at all, just more guild people standing around being guild people except all ten guilds are represented this time. For example, Teysa's meant to be the Orzhov champion running around the "maze" for them, right? But on her card she's clearly just lounging in a chair in a room somewhere. Even the active ones are just doing a generic "creature makes scary face at camera" pose, they don't look like they're racing at all and there's nothing particularly race-ish about the mechanics.

It didn't help that the "Implicit Maze" didn't really make much sense, the only interesting new element of the setting (the guildless) only showed up on like three cards in the entire block, and the one actual main development of Jace becoming a ~living guildpact~ was kept off the cards entirely so they could sell their ebook.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Stinky Pit posted:

Yeah I mean I understand why those are valid points. Still, dropping an ornithopter t1, putting ensoul artifact on it and swinging for 5 flying on t2 is nothing to dismiss, especially if you go izzet colors and run 4 shrapnel blasts and other burn or maybe even counters. I may well be shot down week 1 when I inevitably try to do exactly that, but being able to do that and thinking about being able to shrapnel blast and sac a scuttling doom engine for a kill will be enough for me to try some janky U/R artifact deck.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

It didn't help that the "Implicit Maze" didn't really make much sense, the only interesting new element of the setting (the guildless) only showed up on like three cards in the entire block, and the one actual main development of Jace becoming a ~living guildpact~ was kept off the cards entirely so they could sell their ebook.

Probably because the maze was dumb as poo poo and Wizards didn't want their horrible story department to bog down too many cards with garbage design and flavor text.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Mortimer posted:

T1 5/5 fliers in modern, don't tell anyone!

What is modern Affinity going to cut? Memnite? Cranial Plating? This card is cool but its not all upside and is not an auto-include in a deck like Affinity.

Mortimer posted:

Also remember theros standard sideboards run zero artifact hate, and the enchantment hate is probably localized to deicide and deicide alone. Maybe a few back to natures but I can't see anyone running more than 2-3 tops. I think it's going to see at least a little play in standard.

What? Why would sideboards current sideboards be relevant at all to a future meta-game? The cards exist, in abundance, any artifact/aura based deck is going to have to be every powerful to deal with the plethora of efficient effects like Naturalize and Disenchant that are printed in nearly every set. I'm not convinced this card is powerful enough that a deck with some ornithopters, needles, and revokers is suddenly going to be remotely dangerous.

Yeah I mean I understand why those are valid points. Still, dropping an ornithopter t1, putting ensoul artifact on it and swinging for 5 flying on t2 is nothing to dismiss

The card is really cool and I certainly get the appeal. It should at least be a fun brew.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Yeah I mean I understand why those are valid points. Still, dropping an ornithopter t1, putting ensoul artifact on it and swinging for 5 flying on t2 is nothing to dismiss, especially if you go izzet colors and run 4 shrapnel blasts and other burn or maybe even counters. I may well be shot down week 1 when I inevitably try to do exactly that, but being able to do that and thinking about being able to shrapnel blast and sac a scuttling doom engine for a kill will be enough for me to try some janky U/R artifact deck.

I pretty much feel the same way, plus the deck is super cheap to build right now so if it doesn't work I don't think ill be losing much value.

• Locked thread