Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Beta keys for The Witcher Adventure Game are going out to people who preordered Witcher 3. You might keep your eyes on your inbox if you are interested in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I picked up this game during the Steam sale since I saw the killer Witcher 3 trailer and heard this game was pretty drat good, but I have a problem: The game won't actually launch! The launcher pops up, I can hit 'Play game', and the medallion shows up for a minute or two, the game pops open for a split second, then automatically closes. Any idea how to fix it? I did some cursory googling but everything I tried didn't help (download with virus scan off; rename witcher2.exe)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I've generally seen it recommended for people that have problems launching the Steam version to instead use the GOG version. Free with your Steam key: http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I picked up this game during the Steam sale since I saw the killer Witcher 3 trailer and heard this game was pretty drat good, but I have a problem: The game won't actually launch! The launcher pops up, I can hit 'Play game', and the medallion shows up for a minute or two, the game pops open for a split second, then automatically closes. Any idea how to fix it? I did some cursory googling but everything I tried didn't help (download with virus scan off; rename witcher2.exe)

What are your system specs? Updated your video card drivers?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

The conversation with Letho shouldn't take that long. I've gone through all the dialogue and still had enough time on the clock for the fight.

That's not to say that the clock ticking during cutscenes and dialogue wasn't a silly choice. It was.

Are you sure you aren't playing it modded? Except in FCR 2 (which makes most potions last 30 minutes to an hour) I've always been about out of time once I complete that dialogue. Though I'm kind of anal about trying to explore every single available conversation option.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm not. I don't think it ever took more than 4-5 minutes if you labor through all the dialogue. It certainly shouldn't take 10 minutes unless you're having him repeat a lot of stuff.

Now, his Epilogue dialogue is a different story. That's a lot of dialogue.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 4, 2014

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I just started playing this game and I want to say thank you to the OP for telling me about the Blue Stripes sidequest in Flotsam. I'm gonna wear this tattoo with honor

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really hope you get to keep that mark into the next game.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

cmykjester posted:

I really hope you get to keep that mark into the next game.

You drat well better keep that mark in the third game.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Lycus posted:

I've generally seen it recommended for people that have problems launching the Steam version to instead use the GOG version. Free with your Steam key: http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

This worked like a charm, thanks!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you don't get to keep Geralt's piece of poo poo tattoo in the third game, then as far as I'm concerned all choice and consequence in this series will have gone down the god drat drain :mad:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
As far as I can tell that's actually the most requested feature of the third game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I hope the tattoo is key to getting the secret ending.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Basically if CD Projekt doesn't do the tattoo then they could make literally the best game ever and everyone would still throw copies of the game into burning barrels fueled by donkey poo poo.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I always have it removed because it looks dumb.

I guess lots of people are keeping it for the exact same reason. Go figure.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I never had a tattoo, so I'm not bothered either way.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Geralt taunting Mike from Breaking Bad about beheading his cocaine-throwing elderly mother isn't exactly the most bad rear end thing in the world.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I like that the tattoo is the lady of the lake from the first game.

"You got a nice rear end"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Maybe he grew out his beard to cover up the tattoo.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I got into the closed beta of the adventure game! Wooo :holy:

Edit: And they gave me an extra key: gone now

EditEdit: Please post if you use the key so I can remove it.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 5, 2014

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PureRok posted:

EditEdit: Please post if you use the key so I can remove it.

It's invalid now, so someone must have taken it.

Edit: No, wait, whoops. That person was me. Thanks!

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 5, 2014

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

By making the 3rd one free form, I'm just hoping I can piss off the story missions and roam around doing nothing but the "hunt the special monster" style quests you got in Witcher 1. I'd even take a game that was nothing but that. No world destroying intrigue, no big moral choices. Just a witcher, two swords, some bombs and a bank account to fill up by taking down monsters.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Aureus posted:

By making the 3rd one free form, I'm just hoping I can piss off the story missions and roam around doing nothing but the "hunt the special monster" style quests you got in Witcher 1. I'd even take a game that was nothing but that. No world destroying intrigue, no big moral choices. Just a witcher, two swords, some bombs and a bank account to fill up by taking down monsters.

This with multiplayer would be awesome, and then you get into the realms of MMOs, with different Witcher schools, dynamic world with kingdoms at war and so on. But the problem is 99% of MMOs are terrible, could even CDPR do it well?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Konsek posted:

This with multiplayer would be awesome, and then you get into the realms of MMOs, with different Witcher schools, dynamic world with kingdoms at war and so on. But the problem is 99% of MMOs are terrible, could even CDPR do it well?

In pretty much every instance of a game where someone said "man this would be really cool as an MMO", the resulting MMO turned out to be garbage. At best you'll get yet another mediocre WoW ripoff.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I don't see any way to split factions present in world of Witcher into 2-3 sides. What could work is TES-like open world with character creator and some multiplayer features. I've never played Morrowind, but from what I've gathered we'd need similar system where once you're liked Mahakam then any Scoia'tael group will act friendlier than usual. On the other hand any of militias and orders hating dwarves would hate you too. So important faction choices would mean that on any playthrough I'm bound to see only 60% of availablem content, or even less if I'd go "gently caress the noise" and only hunt monsters.

If W3 does shitton of money I can see CDPR doing another project with same setting and engine, but with post-Geralt storyline.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If they make an MMO, I'll never play it, so I'd rather CDPR continues to use their time making good single-player RPGs.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
OK, once I finish Shadowrun I'm going to take a crack at Witcher 1. I prooobably want to work through it reasonably quickly, is anything really lost by going through it on easy?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

ShineDog posted:

OK, once I finish Shadowrun I'm going to take a crack at Witcher 1. I prooobably want to work through it reasonably quickly, is anything really lost by going through it on easy?

It's a pretty long game, if speed is your goal you might want to pick up a walkthrough for a couple of the chapters. Others can probably give you more hints and tips, it's been a while since I played it. (But it took me a few tries, it's really long).

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

It's a pretty long game, if speed is your goal you might want to pick up a walkthrough for a couple of the chapters. Others can probably give you more hints and tips, it's been a while since I played it. (But it took me a few tries, it's really long).

I've had a crack before. I did the village bit at the beginning, which I didn't hate as much as some people. I got to the freeroam bit in the first real city, it was dark, I wandered into a graveyard and got murdered by some ghosts. Thats about all I've seen.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

If they make an MMO, I'll never play it, so I'd rather CDPR continues to use their time making good single-player RPGs.

Multiplayer dueling or co-op Arena or in world monster hunts would be pretty kick rear end though. Not necessary at all, but pretty kick rear end.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Konsek posted:

I couldnt see a Witcher game as an MMO, but I could see a version of the game where you get to make your own witcher (or sorcerer/sorceress maybe) and simply get to do whatever you want (go hunt monsters, research new bombs or potions, ect), almost Skyrim-esque. Add in up to 4 player co-op so there is a multiplayer element but stay away from MMO-land.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Bort Bortles posted:

I couldnt see a Witcher game as an MMO, but I could see a version of the game where you get to make your own witcher (or sorcerer/sorceress maybe) and simply get to do whatever you want (go hunt monsters, research new bombs or potions, ect), almost Skyrim-esque. Add in up to 4 player co-op so there is a multiplayer element but stay away from MMO-land.

I'd like to see a Witcher where Geralt is just starting out and begins the Path. The books really only concentrate on a couple of years. There's a lot to explore with 2 swords and a horse.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Yeah it would be fun to see the world and how Geralt is before he's drawn into all the political/destiny stuff at the start of the books.

Isn't he supposed to be pretty old? I know Yennefer is almost 100 but I think I read he was 60 or 70 somewhere (probably my imagination). That's a lot of time for him to do stuff in.

Also I'm about a quarter of the way through the lady of the lake and these books sure are good, fan translations I've read have all been good, although they could've done with maybe a few more proofread's because there's a lot of spelling mistakes but the translation itself is really good.

I wish I'd read the books before ever playing the games because they do add much context to everything.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Heliosicle posted:

Also I'm about a quarter of the way through the lady of the lake and these books sure are good, fan translations I've read have all been good, although they could've done with maybe a few more proofread's because there's a lot of spelling mistakes but the translation itself is really good.

I wish I'd read the books before ever playing the games because they do add much context to everything.

This sounds interesting. I read the "official" translation novels. Do the fan ones cover more books? Where do I find them?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/16494-Our-Community-Fan-Translations

Has all the fan translations for the books you can't purchase in English (plus Baptism of Fire in the "Mobi and e-pub versions of the books" link).

The Tower of the Swallow translation had a crap load of spelling mistakes and its formatting made all the text on my kindle grey, but other than that they're all good.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Some loving bastards enterprising fellows bought W3 collector's edidion only to put it on internet auction sites with 100% markup. Supposedly there's no plans for making more of them available so it's either scalpers or regular.
e: the only one I can find with sane price is XBone, I'm tempted to get it despite not having that console :shepspends:

alex314 fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 9, 2014

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
What is "The witcher: adventure game"? Gog sent me beta key for it.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's a board game:

CDP Red webpage posted:

The Witcher Adventure Game takes players on a journey across the world of the Witcher as they assume the roles of four distinct characters known from the books and video games: Geralt of Rivia, monster slayer; Triss Merigold, cunning sorceress; Yarpen Zigrin, dwarven warrior; and Dandelion, roguish bard. Each character has unique skills and multiple ways of overcoming obstacles - the choice is yours: do you fight your way to victory, call on your charm or try your hand at diplomacy? It's the true spirit of board gaming brought straight to your computer screen. Set in the mature and brutal world of The Witcher the game features 4 unique heroes with different skills and approaches to problem solving. With clear, simple rules and intuitive mechanics, tons of quest cards allow players to tell a new tale every time they play. Look adventure in the eye in a world you'll fall in love with!

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
spoilers: dandelion is the best character (or he was, like, 6 months ago)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I've been trying to gently caress Roche, I punched the elf in the face and even let him torture the king to death, but I can't put my mutant dick in him. Did I gently caress up his romance tree?

• Locked thread