Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

I'm pretty sure Funimation is just half-assing things again and are sticking to their policy of "we'll put it up when we get to it" so they have it but it'll be up late.

It still galls me that Funi expects people to pony up a premium membership to access their shitpile website and "Like, whatever man" service for the whole three shows a season they even simulcast. You want in on the simulcast game, at least pretend to give a poo poo.

That said, apparently Barakamon has some weird split rights thing going on, where Crunchyroll gets it for non-English regions and Funi theoretically puts up episodes, somewhere, someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

glomkettle posted:

I especially like that they didn't go with a super-high-pitched voice for Naru.
According to the thread she's voiced by an actual 7 year old, who does a remarkably good job.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 7, 2014

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

On a different note, is Barakamon region locked? I can't find it anywhere on Funi's site.

FWIW, Crunchyroll has it for "Europe (excluding UK and Ireland), the Middle East, and North Africa."

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Barakamon just replaced Nozaki for my potential comedy of the season. It's like Usagi Drop with higher concentrations of adorable and 10 times the fun.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

madmac posted:

It still galls me that Funi expects people to pony up a premium membership to access their shitpile website and "Like, whatever man" service for the whole three shows a season they even simulcast. You want in on the simulcast game, at least pretend to give a poo poo.

I agree. I paid 20$ for a 6 month membership because I saw a deal and wanted to support shows, but I really don't even feel I get the value at that amount. I can only watch Space Dandy subbed and one show I want to try out doesn't even have a page created or a "coming soon!" thing for it.

It just baffles me where something like Crunchyroll exists, somebody can look at how good it's done and go "yeah, we can offer less simulcasts, worse service, and still charge money and still compete with them!" I'm all for supporting the creators but Funimation always just makes me feel like pirating poo poo even though I very,
very rarely do that these days.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Clarste posted:

Eh, I caught up with it at some point and it seemed like generic shounen action mixed with ultraviolence. I'm sure that's someone's cup of tea, but basically just take the first episode and add more magical shounen special attacks. Villains are cartoonishly baby-eating evil, which narratively justifies calling the heroes "heroes" despite the ultraviolence they themselves commit.

I dunno, I find it hard to call this a bad thing. AgK is kind of generic and ultraviolent but it does that really really well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I dunno, I find it hard to call this a bad thing. AgK is kind of generic and ultraviolent but it does that really really well.

I didn't say it's bad just that I don't think it's "Amazing, must watch/read" like the person I was responding to. If you like that kind of thing then go ahead, but it's not for everyone.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Looks like Akame ga Kill and Tokyo Ghoul are going to be competing for the coveted brutal gore audience this season. I'm still not sure which one I'm going to follow.

On the other hand, Barakamon is adorable and everyone here should watch it.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Everyone who keeps saying we should watch Barakamon is making me angry. God, Funimation simulcast service sucks. I would complain about not getting value for my subscription if I didn't watch the Steins;Gate dub off their Xbox360 app but it's still pretty maddening.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
AgK is pretty dumb and exploitative, but it just rolls with the black comedy and doesn't waste time with whining or introspection.

I think I'm going to consistently enjoy this season more than last. Spring had some standouts like Mushishi and Ping Pong alongside alot of boring dreck that I watched because I have garbage taste.

Clarste posted:

I didn't say it's bad just that I don't think it's "Amazing, must watch/read" like the person I was responding to. If you like that kind of thing then go ahead, but it's not for everyone.

You were replying to someone named NTR Kouhai I think their taste is a lost cause.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I don't think I've ever seen another anime that's got eyelids as detailed and prominent as HaNaYaMaTa.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Re: Hamatora trip report:

Show is still poo poo. I stuck with the first season until the bitter end because the sunk cost fallacy is my master. I wanted to watch the first episode of this season to see if they would have the guts to follow through on the finale's last-minute cliffhanger twist. They did not, of course, although they pretended to for the first twenty minutes of the episode.

The show is more annoying to watch than the first season. One of the pretentious directors decided it would be a good idea to turn every location transition into a mini-eyecatch by slapping the show's logo over a photoshop filtered version of the last and first frame of the scenes. Look forward to seeing Re: Hamatora about thirty times if you are dumb enough to watch the episode.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Great Rumbler posted:

I don't think I've ever seen another anime that's got eyelids as detailed and prominent as HaNaYaMaTa.

I can't even work up the energy to watch that one, or Blue Spring Ride. Just the descriptions make my eyes glaze over. Like I want to know if they're good, but I'm secretly afraid I'll fall into a coma and never wake again if I watch them.

quote:

Re: Hamatora trip report:

Show is still poo poo. I stuck with the first season until the bitter end because the sunk cost fallacy is my master. I wanted to watch the first episode of this season to see if they would have the guts to follow through on the finale's last-minute cliffhanger twist. They did not, of course, although they pretended to for the first twenty minutes of the episode.

The show is more annoying to watch than the first season. One of the pretentious directors decided it would be a good idea to turn every location transition into a mini-eyecatch by slapping the show's logo over a photoshop filtered version of the last and first frame of the scenes. Look forward to seeing Re: Hamatora about thirty times if you are dumb enough to watch the episode.

The only tiny bit of pleasure I'll ever have from Hamatora is reading Carl's review on ANN.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

madmac posted:

I can't even work up the energy to watch that one, or Blue Spring Ride. Just the descriptions make my eyes glaze over. Like I want to know if they're good, but I'm secretly afraid I'll fall into a coma and never wake again if I watch them.

As far as "cute girls doing cute things" shows go, it's actually pretty good. Definitely a cut above most of these, in large part do to an eye for some very visually appealing scenes.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Space Dandy S2 premier episode was so good that made me binge the whole first season.

poo poo is loving bonkers, and i'm totally on board. :allears:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Random first episode impressions of shows without threads (or planned threads):

Tokyo Ghoul - Not bad for a gory setup, but there's almost a 0% chance this ends well. More than a typical anime series' less than 1% chance to end well.

Glasslip - Are anime chickens more jerks than cats? Anyways, generic school rom-com with glass blowing inexplicably tacked onto it. Is watchable but may not make the cut.

Rail Wars! - Generic sit-com with trains inexplicably tacked onto it. Also the series can't decide whether it likes (or wants the viewer to like) trains, boobs, guns, or asses the most. Probably will not make the cut.

Nozaki-kun - Hilarious. Even more so watching this prior to the other rom-com shoujo shows to crack easy bicycle jokes with the wife.

Ao Haru Ride - Painfully shoujo, but hey no judgement if you dig it. Made better by aforementioned bike jokes.

DRAMAtical Murder - I'm going to attempt to "forget" to watch this every week in hopes that the wife forgets it exists.

Shounen Hollywood - I'm going to attempt to "forget" to watch this every week in hopes th-:suicide:

Himegoto - Die in a fire, I want those 4 minutes of my life back, etc.

Akame ga Kill - I called out the family eats the hobos because it felt so similar to something from The Walking Dead, so I'm awarding myself half credit on my guess.

Hanayamata - Blonde Main Character's evidence of New Jersey heritage was lacking, although I'll award half a point for her wearing a zip hoodie in a flashback scene. fake edit: I just realized she's the exact same character as that British girl from the other cute-girls-cute-things show, what was that, Kiniro something, I am now outraged on behalf of America.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 8, 2014

Flocci
May 29, 2013

Terrible and bland.

madmac posted:

Caught both today, neither is really worth watching unless you tend to like cute girl clubs/shoujo romances respectively. That said, both are decently executed examples of their respective genres and should be an enjoyable enough watch if you're into those. Personally I'm dropping HaNaYaMaTa and sticking with Blue Spring Ride because cute girl shows bore me, but good shoujo is always a treat in my book.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hanayamata is very pretty.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Aldnoah Zero was an unending parade of infodumping cardboard. The history is unintentionally confusing, the directing is lifeless, and the characters are flat as hell. Argevollen, even if it's combat was uninspiring, seemed a lot more cohesive. I'll give Zero another episode and then drop it if it doesn't pick up.

Barakamon's cuteness felt a little forced to me, but I liked it in spite of my frozen heart. I guess I'm on board the Junon train.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Nozaki-kun - Hilarious. Even more so watching this prior to the other rom-com shoujo shows to crack easy bicycle jokes with the wife.

Rom-coms aren't usually my jam, but I think Nozaki-kun looks like its going to be really good. Nice attention to detail, too.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
Yeah, Re: Hamatora's not good but the transitions reminded me of no more heroes 1's which does a lot for me.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Even my most rudimentary knowledge of chickens tells me that they drop loving everywhere. You do not want chickens indoors.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Argevollen was a very by-the-numbers Gundam knockoff, including making the Zakus cooler than the Gundam. Why the hell would anyone let this insubordinate kid into an expensive piece of military machinery? I'm going to be disappointed when, after his daring display of poor decision-making, the captain lets him keep his shiny new mech. It earned the three episode test, at least.

Aldnoah Zero may have had pretty flat characters, but I like the setup, even with the confusing history. Sure, Turn-A did this earlier and likely better, but it should be fun even so. I think this has me for the duration unless it screws something up seriously.

HaNaYaMaTa was very colorful, and I'm generally a fan of the cute-girls-doing-cute-things genre, but God do I hate main girl. She spends half the show complaining about her life, then declines to do anything about it when the plot conveniently gives her exactly what she asked for. Then she cries about how she's 14 and hasn't found her purpose in life. I mean, I guess a lot of teens don't really think of life past high school, but that doesn't make it any less annoying to watch. I'll give it a second episode, but if she doesn't improve I don't think I can stomach more.

Sailor Moon Crystal is Sailor Moon. As I'm more-or-less a twelve-year-old girl on the inside, I can't not watch this. It's also fairly well done, which is lucky.

I think I remember reading the first few chapters of Akame ga Kill a while back. I liked the first chapter, and I like the first episode, but I believe I got bored with it fairly quickly. As a big late Roman Empire nerd, I really like the potential of the setting. I'll likely follow the thread for this (assuming there is/is going to be one) and resume it or not as appropriate.

Next up: Nozaki-kun (which will be great if it's half what the manga is) and Barakamon.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I think I remember reading the first few chapters of Akame ga Kill a while back. I liked the first chapter, and I like the first episode, but I believe I got bored with it fairly quickly. As a big late Roman Empire nerd, I really like the potential of the setting. I'll likely follow the thread for this (assuming there is/is going to be one) and resume it or not as appropriate.
As a not at all Roman Empire nerd, I didn't think they bore any resemblance to each other. AgK always seemed like kind of generic anime fantasy, filled with so many anachronisms it's almost modern times but without guns (except the magic guns.)

EDIT: Okay, everyone is right about Nozaki. That fukken bike scene and Sakura's expression. :what:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 8, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sindai posted:

As a not at all Roman Empire nerd, I didn't think they bore any resemblance to each other. AgK always seemed like kind of generic anime fantasy, filled with so many anachronisms it's almost modern times but without guns (except the magic guns.)

I speak more of the political situation, with the corrupt imperial capital ruled in truth by corrupt ministers who view the provinces only as a source of wealth. It's definitely an intentional similarity - hell, the montage showing how terrible the city was included crucifixions.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I'm about a third of the way through the first episode of Tokyo Ghoul and jesus christ this is going nowhere.

e: holy poo poo I did not see that coming :stare:

jesus christ it's not every day that a generic anime love story ends with the titty-maid taking a giant bite out of the protagonist's shoulder and turning into a loving spider demon

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 8, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Squidster posted:

the directing is lifeless,

:psyduck:

I sorta get your other two points but I thought directing was very well done. Whoever is directing this is pretty drat good at showing stuff happening. Even the editing during the pure dialogue scenes is better than what you usually see.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I speak more of the political situation, with the corrupt imperial capital ruled in truth by corrupt ministers who view the provinces only as a source of wealth. It's definitely an intentional similarity - hell, the montage showing how terrible the city was included crucifixions.

I suppose that was something that stood out to me about AgK: the evil empire is actually an empire. In that it's composed of a variety of conquered cultures who've been more or less assimilated to varying degrees. Most of the time the empire is just a kingdom with an evil sounding name.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So I'm about a third of the way through the first episode of Tokyo Ghoul and jesus christ this is going nowhere.

e: holy poo poo I did not see that coming :stare:

jesus christ it's not every day that a generic anime love story ends with the titty-maid taking a giant bite out of the protagonist's shoulder and turning into a loving spider demon

You seriously did not get suspicious that the same character chomping down on dudes during the opening was extremely similar to the cute bookish babe?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

paragon1 posted:

I sorta get your other two points but I thought directing was very well done. Whoever is directing this is pretty drat good at showing stuff happening. Even the editing during the pure dialogue scenes is better than what you usually see.

It's the guy who directed Fate Zero, so expect any scenes involving real life military hardware to be pretty good.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

AgK's villian is literally Dong Zhuo. Most portrayals of Dong Zhuo himself play him further away from the stereotypes then AgK does.
Remember, like most anime AgK was made in Asia, not in a western country.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Command Ant posted:

Looks like Akame ga Kill and Tokyo Ghoul are going to be competing for the coveted brutal gore audience this season. I'm still not sure which one I'm going to follow.

As someone who reads both mangas, I say go with Ghoul. Or both, or neither, but definitely Ghoul before AgK.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tonberrytoby posted:

AgK's villian is literally Dong Zhuo. Most portrayals of Dong Zhuo himself play him further away from the stereotypes then AgK does.

Crucifixions don't have a Far Eastern equivalent until the introduction of Christianity as I recall, which suggests that they are drawing from Western history as well to some extent.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's not like the Shogunate didn't crucify anyone. It's just meant to represent "nasty thing to do" than "nasty thing that has been co-opted into a symbol of power".

Hanayamata or however its spelt is very pretty but I'm already bored of it. At least it does the "I'm an average person" thing properly by contrasting it with many, more colourful characters. I don't think I will bother.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

tonberrytoby posted:

Reading the wikipedia entry for Dong Zhuo, it's pretty eerie. Change the Chinese names to Greek ones and it'd fit right into dark ages Roman history, eunuchs and all. Personally, I still think a Roman inspiration is pretty likely; the city seems pretty western, and it's not like the Roman empire is some unknown thing in Japan (see: Thermae Romae).

Phobophilia posted:

It's not like the Shogunate didn't crucify anyone. It's just meant to represent "nasty thing to do" than "nasty thing that has been co-opted into a symbol of power".

Even with this, crucifixion has western connotations. The Japanese Christians were crucified because the shogunate thought that it would be a suitable punishment for those whose holy book has their god and later his followers crucifed at the hands of the Roman Empire.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I'm so happy that Nozaki-kun's adaptation was good. The best character will be appearing in episode two so I'm pretty excited.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I'm so happy that Nozaki-kun's adaptation was good. The best character will be appearing in episode two so I'm pretty excited.

There's so many best characters appearing next week, pretty excited. Best girl and Sae are appearing and it's going to be amazing

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

paragon1 posted:

The very first scene of the show, the one that is supposed to pitch the idea to the audience and give them a sense of what to expect - they chose to make that scene two talking heads lecturing each other about things they both know. No establishing shots, no wide shots to show the room or context, and no conflict in the scene until douchy mcslaps shows up.

Then you have your big reveal shot, which is cool and all, but then the next scene is again presented without an establishing shot to give context. We're just in a kitchen, somewhere on Earth?, while we're treated to the precursor of animes-running-with-toast.

Then our next scene is talking heads in a bus. We're not shown the outside world. At one point the characters are all 'omg this thing I see everyday is suddenly noticed,' but we don't get to see it. The final reveal shot is of some construction I guess?

This is a brand new scifi show with an unfamiliar setting and stakes that need to be conveyed to the audience, and they chose to do so with uninterrupted infodumping for 6 straight minutes. With only a single cool visual. The frustrating thing is, a decent writer could easily have made those scenes contain the same information, while also allowing the characters to introduce themselves as more than 2-legged history textbooks.

The two action sequences - the assassination, the invasion - these things are very competently directed and beautifully animated. But every other scene is a triumph of telling, not showing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Barakamon was amazing, and I'm glad its thread convinced me to give it a try. It might replace Is Your Order a Rabbit as my weekly feel-good slice-of-life anime of the season. I also really liked the OP - it sorta gave me a Chihayafuru vibe. The song sorta reminds me of the two Chihayafuru OPs, the visuals and poo poo (like some anime dude participating in an activity that's not commonly connected with the modern age with an aura of grace) really made me remember that I want Chihayafuru Season 3 badly.

Nozaki-kun was also pretty loving great but that's only to be expected. OP was great as well. I don't even give a poo poo that it'll probably only cover the chapters I've read (given that it's probably gonna be like 12 or 13 episodes and the manga has like 40+ chapters translated at the moment) because it's just that loving good.

I'm not sure I wanna watch Tokyo Ghoul or Akamae ga Kill at the moment, since I've already read them, and they're not Nozaki-kun, Hunter x Hunter or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Maybe later.

Still, at least 2 amazing shows this season. Gonna see how goons like the other stuff and see if any more threads get made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The best part of Himegoto was the gangsta rap song that the subber dubbed over the OP.

• Locked thread